• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Ignorance of the "fans"

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
I'm gonna be honest and say for a split second I thought it was Riku. I was way too eager and it probably clouded my perception. That and it didn't help that the stream was pretty laggy for me.
What do those "fans" mean is that Riku? Riku doesn't look like Xehanort at all.

They mean exactly what they write lol They think it is Riku! :p I mean, for many of us on this site, we can easily say "oh yeah, that's not Riku! That's Young Master Xehanort!" but remember, many people have only played KH1 and KH2 and in that case, there are only 2 Caucasian males with long silver hair: Riku and Xemnas. Who comes more readily to mind? Riku. So I definitely see the resemblance to those making a quick association.

When the first BbS secret ending at the end of KH2FM came out and it just showed a boy who looked like Roxas, a man with brown hair, a girl with blue hair and Mickey Mouse fighting a bald guy, many people thought Terra was grown up Sora and Aqua was grown up Kairi, me included. With little info, we make assumptions where we can.

My problem with kh ignorance deals with the spread of false information. I can understand people not knowing all the characters(that's ok gaming is a luxury), but I can't accept people who haven't played/watched all the games and profess to know everything.

That is just their fault, after KH3 comes out and they know basically nothing, they'll just get pissed off that "SE didn't make it fair for them," and to that there is nothing we can do but move on. Those are generally the people who always have to be right and trust me, no matter how they have to twist their words, in their mind, they are always right.

Norpthalomus

It's better than drinking alone
Awards
Website
ultimumrome.tumblr.com
It kind of annoys me too, but honestly this is going to be a problem with anyone who isn't a "die-hard" Kingdom Hearts fan. A lot of people kind of wrote-off the handheld iterations, although many of them are just as important as the PS2 iterations. It's frustrating, but it's just how it is. Kingdom Hearts (although better with the PS3 remix versions) is spread too unevenly across too many systems and companies. It's bound to cause confusion for the fans who didn't want to shell out money for one game in the series.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
My problem with kh ignorance deals with the spread of false information. I can understand people not knowing all the characters(that's ok gaming is a luxury), but I can't accept people who haven't played/watched all the games and profess to know everything.

This point nails it exactly.
People who have only played KH 1 and 2 and have not even looked up on the other games/characters can undeniably call themselves KH fans for all that it is worth, but they cannot claim to truly know how things work and should actually admit to that instead of spreading half-truths or outright false information.

This is how such, sorry for the cuss, bullshit claims that Sora can only wield the Keyblade because of Ventus, that Ventus and Roxas are the same entity/person or that the Heartless of the Org members are either a) still around or b) were the bosses of either KH 1 or 2 or both are still roaming around and actually believed by some.

Samhain

Bronze Member
lmao I've been playing and following Kingdom Hearts since 2003. I remember the days of BFU, or BHK, etc. Or the days of "DS, MX, 3 apprentices", or "Black-Haired Kairi", etc

And when I saw the trailer for KH3 I immediately thought it was Riku before thinking to myself "Wait, no fuck. That's Master Xehanort". And I'm a diehard fan too. Excitement can cloud your judgement.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
It was inevitable, I suppose. Years of "Shut up and give us KH3" and rejecting anything that's not a numbered console title has lead to the casual fanbase being left in the dark.

As a hardcore lore and story nerd, I try to correct inaccuracies and/or ignorant comments granted they're really bad or rude (such as someone claiming that KH1 and KH2 are the only story-relevant games, or acting like spoiled brats about KH3's release).

But in all honesty, I feel no sympathy for them. Many of us knew this would happen. And many fans still refuse to play the additional games, even though they're now available in the ReMIX's. Given that that's the case, let them be lost in the dark. They're the ones choosing to not follow the story and to be confused.

Mavxo

Awards
At 2013s E3 when they announced it my ex said he wanted to get it (he didn't even finish KH I) and I told him to play all the games before he did so he understood what was going on and this is basically what he said:
" that's a waste of time. Why would I play old games? It's not important and things will be recapped. I just like the combat"
I got so angry that he thought he'd even begin to understand anything that was going on. I told him they'll likely not be a very big recap due to the remixes. Wasn't interested just thought the combat was cool. He's one of those annoying FPS Xbox bros who don't care anything about the story- always irritated me.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
At 2013s E3 when they announced it my ex said he wanted to get it (he didn't even finish KH I) and I told him to play all the games before he did so he understood what was going on and this is basically what he said:
" that's a waste of time. Why would I play old games? It's not important and things will be recapped. I just like the combat"

Some people do just play games for the fun of it and not the story. I know plenty of people who think Kingdom Hearts is dumb, yet play it often because they enjoy the feel of the gameplay. However, if he's actually interested in knowing what's going on, any recapping of the series' events is not going to help him. KH2 tried to do that for KH1 and CoM with those dreams for Roxas, yet they made no sense unless you'd played the games. Otherwise they just made you even more confused. Same will happen in KH3.

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards
I don't let it bother me too much. They're the ones who are going to be confused.

But in all honesty, I feel no sympathy for them. Many of us knew this would happen. And many fans still refuse to play the additional games, even though they're now available in the ReMIX's. Given that that's the case, let them be lost in the dark. They're the ones choosing to not follow the story and to be confused.

Basically this. I understand not playing all of the games but just writing them off and not even looking into them is the most annoying thing.

Some people do just play games for the fun of it and not the story. I know plenty of people who think Kingdom Hearts is dumb, yet play it often because they enjoy the feel of the gameplay. However, if he's actually interested in knowing what's going on, any recapping of the series' events is not going to help him. KH2 tried to do that for KH1 and CoM with those dreams for Roxas, yet they made no sense unless you'd played the games. Otherwise they just made you even more confused. Same will happen in KH3.

I imagine KH3 will do what DDD did and have written recaps of each games story and journal entries on important concepts in the series. Whether any casual players will take the time to read them is up to them.

SephirothZ

I understand your frustration a little bit, but I will give a pass to some of the ignorant fans because they might not have played all the games. I actually spoke to a co-worker today who enjoys KH, and he thought it was Riku and Sora playing chess. However, gaming sites like IGN should know better and they have no excuse to misread things like that. I may have thought YX was Riku at first, but right when I saw Eraqus, I knew better.

Give some of the fans some slack though. Remember, those of us here on this website are VERY passionate about KH and have probably played all the games and follow it much closer than the casual fan base. How many fans would start analyzing the chess pieces to determine who is important (great thread by the way).

Oathkeyper97

I understand your frustration a little bit, but I will give a pass to some of the ignorant fans because they might not have played all the games. I actually spoke to a co-worker today who enjoys KH, and he thought it was Riku and Sora playing chess. However, gaming sites like IGN should know better and they have no excuse to misread things like that. I may have thought YX was Riku at first, but right when I saw Eraqus, I knew better.

Give some of the fans some slack though. Remember, those of us here on this website are VERY passionate about KH and have probably played all the games and follow it much closer than the casual fan base. How many fans would start analyzing the chess pieces to determine who is important (great thread by the way).

I definitely see what you mean. And besides (and I probably should have clarified this better) it isn't so much that it upsets me because some fans haven't played some of the games. Some people just don't have the chance due to the spread of consoles, which can lead to a lack of understanding regarding the series in general. I get that. What frustrates me is when someone says they love the series and are huge fans, excited for KH 3 and all that, but yet they wiliingly choose to ignore anything else about the series that doesn't have the roman numeral 3. Not that they just haven't had the chance to experience it, but that they actually don't care about 5/8ths of the series. Again, probably should have done a better job explaining these thoughts from the get-go. Anyway, thanks for the reply! :D

DoctahFaz

Awards

Adding to your point (as well as the point in the entire thread,) IGN referred to Young Xehanort and Young Eraqus as "two new NPCs" and the first comment I saw below in response to another part of the article saying that KH3 takes place immediately after DDD said "Wait, the spinoffs are part of the story?"

Clearly, our community here and our literacy of the series does not represent the population as a whole.

Anagram

Banned
Clearly, our community here and our literacy of the series does not represent the population as a whole.

A quick glance at the various KH wikis and other sites will show you this. Painfully so in fact.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Not only that, this series has the handheld and "complicated" plot stigma where it pushes people from getting into it. Though I've found that new fans are more likely entering the series through the handheld entries but that will change now with the ReMIX.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
It is a general problem with a series that has such an interwoven story spanning over all titles like KH does.
Final Fantasy, with its (mostly) standalone plots per title is much better suited to a console spread/medium hopping than KH is.
Add on top of this the in parts absolutely abysmal presentation and handling of the available information (at least 40% of the crucial story information isn't even in the primary medium itself), and it should be not so surprising that people may get lost even in the age of youtube and the internet.

jahob000

Not all of those reaction videos are legit. Sometimes the "surprise" is just for show to get views on something that's either memorable or popular, whereas others are legit. The story is pretty convoluted, I'm a super fan and have been ever since Kingdom Hearts one on the PS2 and was still completely confused about smaller details. It didn't help that I played II before CoM since I didn't know anything about it. I didn't use the internet like I do now and didn't know that spin offs were on handhelds.

I'm not sure but I thought that at one point Nomura himself said that you don't have to completely understand the story to play the games, however it just makes the experience that much more exciting. Seeing as how convoluted the story was it's no wonder that many people were either lost or missing a lot of important details, so some found it easier to just enjoy the gameplay.

On the other side of the spectrum, think of Final Fantasy VII's Remake. You don't have to be a die hard fan or have all of the knowledge about all of the other games to be excited about the trailer. I've always heard of Final Fantasy throughout my life but never played it. I plan on playing the American I, II, III and VII only to prepare and understand the hype for the remake. I may be a new fan, but eventually I will be a die hard fan. Die hard fan doesn't always mean knowing everything.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I don't care if people know about the story of KH or not, as long as they enjoy KH3, it's a good thing. You all just need to slow your roll and chill out. Not everyone cares.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
I don't care if people know about the story of KH or not, as long as they enjoy KH3, it's a good thing. You all just need to slow your roll and chill out. Not everyone cares.

We're not saying everyone who plays KH is required to know the plot. It's just annoying when people complain about the story making no sense, yet have only played KH 1 and 2, or something of that nature.

It's fine if the player doesn't care about the story. I get that there are people who don't use videogames as a storytelling medium like some of us do. But for those who ARE interested and complain about it, their ignorance that stems from a refusal to play/acknowledge the un-numbered games is what frustrates us. It was understandable back in the early 2000's, but in this age of YouTube and the ReMIX's being made and quite cheap nowadays, their complaints come off as "I'm lazy and want to whine" rather than legitimate complaints. Those who care can easily buy the remasters, or watch the cutscenes or a Let's Play on YouTube to save both time and money. The only ones keeping them lost are themselves.

Again, only applies to the complainers, though.

Anagram

Banned
^ Always keep in mind the "abnormal circumstance". Even in todays age there may be reasons a person can't youtube the story or afford the games despite the Remixs.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
^ Always keep in mind the "abnormal circumstance". Even in todays age there may be reasons a person can't youtube the story or afford the games despite the Remixs.

Absolutely. Again, this entire thread is addressed towards those who have the means to figure stuff out in the series, but continue to choose to be ignorant of the significance of the portable titles (which, with the ReMIX's, aren't even portables anymore, save for DDD).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back