• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Ignorance of the "fans"

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo_

Awards
Well count me in as one of the people who have only played the two main games. You don't have to play every game in the series or understand this needlessly complicated story to call yourself a fan of the series. I played 1 and II, toyed with Chain of Memories, but honestly have very little interest in the million handheld spinoffs that just make this needlessly complicated story even more needlessly complicated, and have kept KHIII from being released for so long.

I was watching Etika(the guy who lost his balls over Mewtwo being in the new Smash Bros.)'s reaction to the trailer, and though he was hyped, I was trying to figure out his level of KH fandom. I had never heard him speak but maybe once about KH before. At the end of the day though, in my opinion it doesn't matter.

I can understand your frustration though. With the new Gears of War remastered coming out, I am part of a pretty tight community that still regularly plays the original game online, and though I feel like I should be happy, I sometimes feel upset at some of the people jumping back on the hype train.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
My problem with kh ignorance deals with the spread of false information. I can understand people not knowing all the characters(that's ok gaming is a luxury), but I can't accept people who haven't played/watched all the games and profess to know everything.

Silverwarrior

Also bear in mind that even with the 1.5 and 2.5 remixes, days and coded were videos only, so any gameplay mechanics that were introduced there (and don't appear elsewhere) won't be seen unless the gamer had played them on the DS. Plus, obviously some things were not included in the videos (e.g. Roxas' fight with Saix)

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
Also bear in mind that even with the 1.5 and 2.5 remixes, days and coded were videos only, so any gameplay mechanics that were introduced there (and don't appear elsewhere) won't be seen unless the gamer had been played them on the DS. Plus, obviously some things were not included in the videos (e.g. Roxas' fight with Saix)

Yeah, the fight not being included was a bit of an annoyance to me.

Silverwarrior

All the fights not being included was disappointing, especially Xion's final battle. Why bother orchestrating vector to the heavens if the scene that you are using it for fades to black, and then you cut the song off :rolleyes:

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
My problem with kh ignorance deals with the spread of false information. I can understand people not knowing all the characters(that's ok gaming is a luxury), but I can't accept people who haven't played/watched all the games and profess to know everything.
That's where I stand on this as well.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
I don't have Scrooge McDuck's money either, I will try to get the money to buy a PS4 until KH3 releases, and this will be 2016 (pff) or 2017, so I got time. But this is not the matter. The companies need the money to make games, or make consoles that support future games, that's the industry. A PS4 is the console on which the so-called "next gen" games will be playable, it's powerful and offers lots of possibilities for gaming experience, there are going to be many good PS4 titles in the following years, so it's really worth the buy. Thus, at least when the product is 'fresh' and (I kinda have to admit) revolutionary, it costs more. We have to live with the truth, consoles aren't cheap, some games aren't cheap either, gaming is an expensive hobby, but such a satisfying one when you just get to understand how the games are made, what the consoles' abilities really are, how the game industry/market works, eventually you understand why everything costs rather much.

Yeah, you're probably right. I have been mainly getting my consoles used.

My bad, FudemintGuardian.

Oathkeyper97

Wow this thread is quite insulting.

Most people who play these games are not die-hard fans like us... they are casual players. Remember they may have only played the numbered entries.

I was a casual fan. The only reason I became a die-hard KH fan was due to the 1.5 and 2.5 remixes. That was the only reason. Back when I was originally playing KH1 and KH2 all those years ago I was utterly confused and didn't understand the games that much but I still enjoyed playing them. I came away not knowing anything, not knowing the characters that well, confused by the plot but managed to try to make it work for me... (I played KH2 first and I eventually worked out the plot).

A lot of casual fans may not have played the remixes either because they do not have a PS3 anymore. It was only because I still have mine that I become invested in these characters and played Chain of Memories and Birth By Sleep and watched the 358/2 Days and Recoded movies. I only bought the remixes for nostalgia and I got dragged into fandom.

Casual fans do find it difficult. And I think it is ignorant of die-hard KH fans to mock them like this. You can be a fan of something and not know everything about it. I'm a fan of Doctor Who but I don't know everything about that!

Wow, those are... really good points, actually. I watch Doctor Who, too, but I've not even seen an episode of the original! I apologize for sounding insulting, it's just weird since I'm in the hardcore, "nerdy" category of fans. Again, sorry.

hlc1988

Awards
Wow, those are... really good points, actually. I watch Doctor Who, too, but I've not even seen an episode of the original! I apologize for sounding insulting, it's just weird since I'm in the hardcore, "nerdy" category of fans. Again, sorry.

That's ok! :D I forgive you! :)

Sometimes, if you haven't experienced being both sides (casual and superfan) then its difficult to see from that point of view.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I just write the ignorance off, no biggie. KH became hard to follow/convulated, so it makes sense a majority of fans don't know about the details introduced in the titles after KH2.

Anagram

Banned
I just write the ignorance off, no biggie. KH became hard to follow/convulated, so it makes sense a majority of fans don't know about the details introduced in the titles after KH2.

Given how the series spread to several consoles at once after KH2 with it's games and considering how anything remotely important is in some random interview I can't honestly blame anyone for not bothering after KH2. It became hard to for those that can't afford or wont buy systems and games to follow it.

I know many die hard fans did but on the larger scope how many of you would buy an entire system for one game only?

Of course youtube was always an option for most (except for those in slow speed hell like me) but again how accurate are many of the explanation or theory videos your find? Besides actual cutscenes that is.

Zook

you can never leave KHI
Awards
You definitely need to keep a more open mind about what it means to be a fan of something. I have only played KH1, 2 and BBS. I had no idea who those two yahoos were playing chess and only vaguely remembered the details about the keyblade war. But I was smiling ear to ear seeing Sora Donald and Goofy back at it in glorious HD. So consider me an ignorant fan of the series for the past 10 years.

12kez90

You definitely need to keep a more open mind about what it means to be a fan of something. I have only played KH1, 2 and BBS. I had no idea who those two yahoos were playing chess and only vaguely remembered the details about the keyblade war. But I was smiling ear to ear seeing Sora Donald and Goofy back at it in glorious HD. So consider me an ignorant fan of the series for the past 10 years.
Those 2 yahoos were in BBS

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
What do those "fans" mean is that Riku? Riku doesn't look like Xehanort at all.

Oathkeyper97

Yeah, your'e probably right. I, admittedly, tend to be hypercritical at times, and have trouble keeping an open mind about things like this. And you aren't necessarily one of the kinds of people who bothers me. What bothers me is when people claim they are massive fans of the series but choose to ignore everything about it that doesn't have a roman numeral. But yeah, I get where you're coming from. Thanks for the feedback!

WhinyAcademic

Awards
The trailer was freaking awesome. Loved seeing everything, but come on, it's not like we can't be clamoring for a release date.

That said, yeah, plenty of people are going to not be the devoted fans we are. I remember, for example, back when the third Transformers movie was coming out, it was going to feature a character named Shockwave. Well, fans already knew Shockwave was going to be portrayed differently than he was in the 80's show everyone knows. But casual media like USA Today or other folks reported information from the 80's show and went "we know our Transformers!" It's annoying but aw well. IGN, for example, goes through so much stuff as a major nerd site, it's writers can't be a big fan of everything. IGN isn't an autonomous being, it's a whole host of writers and reporters and reviewers.

Who cares, we know it won't drop till 2030.

rac7d

The prince of Tides
Awards
The worst part to me is that now, with KH1.5 and 2.5 out there really is no excuse. Some people previously might not have been able to afford the side consoles but everyone should be up to date with the re releases if they're really fans. After that they'd begin to see the significance of KHx and DDD.
They don't even have to do that, everything has been wrapped up nicely for them in Youtube video chronologically detailing this Tory and it character and plot points. When will people learns that BBS is KH 0 its more important then 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back