• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Ignorance of the "fans"

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oathkeyper97

Okay, little bit of a rant here: You know what ticks me off even more than IGN's ignorance of the KH series? The ignorance of the "fans" -- or rather some of the people excited for KH3.

I've been watching a lot of reaction videos for the e3 trailer, and some of these people... well, I saw it coming. Some of these reactions include people who act super excited for KH 3 when the trailer starts, but these are the things they say:

"Who are those people playing chess? Is that Riku?!"
(When it shows Master Xehanort's Keyblade) "Who's Keyblade is that?"
"OMG he's running up the wall!" (Cause we've never seen that before, right?)
"Oh man, this is Traverse Town" and then some "Oh, wait, no, this is... uh.... that other town from KH 2!"
"Hey, they changed Sora's voice actor."

Seriously? Really?! This kinda stuff, as someone who actually follows the series, really upsets me, even before KH 3 was even announced. And when it was, with that first trailer, VERY few people actually recognized Eraqus's Keyblade! Like, these people are sooooooo excited for KH 3, and yet apparently they've only played two games in the series! Not to mention that there are even people who completely disregard Unchained X and call it crap! Honestly, it's completely ridiculous, and I'm going to laugh/get even more upset when the game releases and these people have no idea what's going on.

*Sigh* Please tell me that there are other people who feel this frustration. I just felt the need to post this so I don't keep it all bottled up and lose my mind.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
I guess, I am somewhat in that category. They and myself just need to study up on our Kingdom Hearts. I have played BBS, KH1 and KH2, Re:Coded, Re: Chain of Memories (though I got my butt constantly handed to me by Repliku), Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (that game is what started me out in the franchise, not the film for Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix, the one for the Nintendo DS) and I have read the manga for 358/2 Days, but I am rusty with the other manga like Kingdom Hearts 2.

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
I'll tell ya that I, along with many other KHinsiders and KHoutsiders, noticed the ignorance of some/most fans, from everywhere.
Square gives us a trailer with a lot to show and the only thing some fans say is "GIVE US THE RELEASE DATE" or "KH3 for PC" ...... To stuff like this I say, borrowing one of Sora's quotes, "GET REAL". Those people don't even know what it takes to make a game, or how much a specific console can "carry". A game like KH3 for PC? Are you kidding? And a release date? Please, not in this state. There's a lot to work on still, even with such a beautiful, promising trailer, so a release date is nowhere in sight, it shouldn't be, logically.
Some youtubers and websites comment on stuff like this just to get attention, views, comments or whatever, it's frustrating, yes, but you shouldn't get mad about it. Be glad that your not in that sphere~

Echoecho6

Awards
When have we ran up walls before? I actually don't remember sorry. I am sure when you tell me I will be like Oh wow I am an idiot.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
These people get immensely offended if the topic comes to having only played the "numbered" titles, and yet they prove nearly in every case how on the spot the fact that having played (or even worse, just paid attention to KH 1 and 2 only) is not enough.
On one hand, how one can confuse Riku and Xehanort comes off as extremely dumb, but on the other some people really haven't followed the handheld titles because they were unable to for various reasons.

I usually just laugh off those ignorant nitwits, it doesn't really do anything good to get upset and ruin your own health over such things.

MrFranklin95

Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
I think that's the fault of the series in general. Granted, some people are super ignorant to what KH is actually about and because of that people either judge it harshly without knowledge or they even make mistakes about certain characters and plot points.

But you can't really be angry at them because, while that being said, its the series' own fault. The story is all over the place (it's not that bad but still) and they spread out the games in different handheld platforms. And no gamer in their right mind (or at least one who understands the value of money) is going to shell out money for different consoles to play one game in a series. Plus, they did a poor job of establishing that the handheld games are canon (at least, I think they did) and important to the story of KH. People to this day still think BBS is a spin-off game and its not. But I can't blame them because it was on the PSP and handhelds have games that are generally on a lot smaller in scale; mostly titles made for that system to play the games you would normally play on a console but on the go, where ever you go and nothing more. So people quickly go to that assumption, despite how much gaming in handhelds has evolved from that.

Now granted, all of this was solved with the recent HD collection that finally put most of the games on a console people still own, so people can catch up rather quickly. At the same time though, because of the series spreading out and not doing enough effort to inform people that the stories of those games matter going forward, the popularity of the series has dropped by this point. Not too much because people still clearly care about KH3 coming out but you don't see KH: unchained getting any love besides the fanbase itself who knows its importance. Although, that might be reading into things too much since people have waited for KH3 for years and Unchained was just recently announced to be made in North America, its mobile (and most gaming fans want to the mobile market to burn in a beautiful flaming inferno) and the game has been out for quite a while anyway.

And also, again, the story is all over the place so I don't blame people for getting confused. Although some of the ignorance is pretty asinine and I kind of laugh it off.

Last edited:

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
I'll tell ya that I, along with many other KHinsiders and KHoutsiders, noticed the ignorance of some/most fans, from everywhere.
Square gives us a trailer with a lot to show and the only thing some fans say is "GIVE US THE RELEASE DATE" or "KH3 for PC" ...... To stuff like this I say, borrowing one of Sora's quotes, "GET REAL". Those people don't even know what it takes to make a game, or how much a specific console can "carry". A game like KH3 for PC? Are you kidding? And a release date? Please, not in this state. There's a lot to work on still, even with such a beautiful, promising trailer, so a release date is nowhere in sight, it shouldn't be, logically.
Some youtubers and websites comment on stuff like this just to get attention, views, comments or whatever, it's frustrating, yes, but you shouldn't get mad about it. Be glad that your not in that sphere~

My problem was that I wish the game could have stayed on one console. I am just wondering how I am going to afford a PS4 since they cost around like three hundred to five hundred dollars.

Oathkeyper97

When have we ran up walls before? I actually don't remember sorry. I am sure when you tell me I will be like Oh wow I am an idiot.

It was in the first fight with Xemnas in KH 2. Not to mention that Sora has done even more impressive feats, like slicing through buildings. XD

Awards
The worst part to me is that now, with KH1.5 and 2.5 out there really is no excuse. Some people previously might not have been able to afford the side consoles but everyone should be up to date with the re releases if they're really fans. After that they'd begin to see the significance of KHx and DDD.

Happyfunshineman

Awards
There are a lot of things to say about IGN but this is extremely unfair. You can be a fan of a game series without playing all the games. You also don't need to know everything about the series. I love Metal Gear, I've played all the games, but I hardly remember anything from any of the games.

Oathkeyper97

Yeah, well said. I definitely see the problem wtih people getting their hands on all the consoles, it's just how they can be this excited for a game in a series they know so little about is... I dunno, confusing to me, I guess.

12kez90

I'm gonna be honest and say for a split second I thought it was Riku. I was way too eager and it probably clouded my perception. That and it didn't help that the stream was pretty laggy for me.

Oathkeyper97

There are a lot of things to say about IGN but this is extremely unfair. You can be a fan of a game series without playing all the games. You also don't need to know everything about the series. I love Metal Gear, I've played all the games, but I hardly remember anything from any of the games.

See, I understand what you mean, but it doesn't quite make sense in my head. For instance, I heard someone say in a video that they were going to get KH3, but only for the gameplay, since they weren't into to the story. That does not compute in my head!!! I guess I just have an all or nothing mindset when it comes to following a series like this. Anyway, thanks for the feedback! :)

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
Yeah, well said. I definitely see the problem wtih people getting their hands on all the consoles, it's just how they can be this excited for a game in a series they know so little about is... I dunno, confusing to me, I guess.

I remember getting obsessed with the Final Mixes. I remember wanting to get swap magic for my PS2 and my PSP, so I could play the Japanese exclusives. I remember looking for one of the Final Mixes, I think it was Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix and one person said he had seen the game in a video game store in Guam.

Interesting thing about BBS, I actually got the game for a second time off of Play-Asia. Well, I wound up getting Birth By Sleep not Birth By Sleep Final Mix. I got some anger from my mom and her boyfriend at the time. With the release of Kingdom Hearts 1.5 and Kingdom Hearts 2.5, I should have been thrilled to play the Final Mixes.

hlc1988

Awards
Wow this thread is quite insulting.

Most people who play these games are not die-hard fans like us... they are casual players. Remember they may have only played the numbered entries.

I was a casual fan. The only reason I became a die-hard KH fan was due to the 1.5 and 2.5 remixes. That was the only reason. Back when I was originally playing KH1 and KH2 all those years ago I was utterly confused and didn't understand the games that much but I still enjoyed playing them. I came away not knowing anything, not knowing the characters that well, confused by the plot but managed to try to make it work for me... (I played KH2 first and I eventually worked out the plot).

A lot of casual fans may not have played the remixes either because they do not have a PS3 anymore. It was only because I still have mine that I become invested in these characters and played Chain of Memories and Birth By Sleep and watched the 358/2 Days and Recoded movies. I only bought the remixes for nostalgia and I got dragged into fandom.

Casual fans do find it difficult. And I think it is ignorant of die-hard KH fans to mock them like this. You can be a fan of something and not know everything about it. I'm a fan of Doctor Who but I don't know everything about that!

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
My problem was that I wish the game could have stayed on one console. I am just wondering how I am going to afford a PS4 since they cost around like three hundred to five hundred dollars.

I don't have Scrooge McDuck's money either, I will try to get the money to buy a PS4 until KH3 releases, and this will be 2016 (pff) or 2017, so I got time. But this is not the matter. The companies need the money to make games, or make consoles that support future games, that's the industry. A PS4 is the console on which the so-called "next gen" games will be playable, it's powerful and offers lots of possibilities for gaming experience, there are going to be many good PS4 titles in the following years, so it's really worth the buy. Thus, at least when the product is 'fresh' and (I kinda have to admit) revolutionary, it costs more. We have to live with the truth, consoles aren't cheap, some games aren't cheap either, gaming is an expensive hobby, but such a satisfying one when you just get to understand how the games are made, what the consoles' abilities really are, how the game industry/market works, eventually you understand why everything costs rather much.

Happyfunshineman

Awards
See, I understand what you mean, but it doesn't quite make sense in my head. For instance, I heard someone say in a video that they were going to get KH3, but only for the gameplay, since they weren't into to the story. That does not compute in my head!!! I guess I just have an all or nothing mindset when it comes to following a series like this. Anyway, thanks for the feedback! :)

Don't worry about it. Its good to be really passionate about the things you like! Just remember to be open minded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back