• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Here's a Fun Gaming Question...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Odysseus

Somewhere out there beneath the pale moonlight.
Just want to gather some opinions and maybe get some people thinking...

In what video game do you feel the most connected to the character you're controlling? What games truly let you lose yourself and immerse into the experience where it feels like you become one with the character?

Another way to think about it (and how I came up with it) is this: imagine you're in the situation of one of those creepypasta stories (BEN DROWNED/Majora's Mask, for example) where a paranormal force is manipulating the video game world around you, and you're forced to explore it. What game would you rather it be? Who are you controlling?

For me, I'd say Super Mario 64. Just the sheer amount of responsiveness the controls have, with the variety of what you can do, really makes me feel one with Mario in that game. A close second would be your character in Skyrim, where you get the same general feeling of immersion and bonding with your character.

So, what say you?

Chill

Silver Member
Awards
Skyrim definately, since you are pretty much the character you created.

Maybe Skyward Sword, mainly because if you die it was enitrely your fault for not reacting fast enough, but thats the same with any game, Skyward Sword just makes it fell more real.

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
1. Skyrim
2. Minecraft
3. Oblivion

edit: I forgot Dark Souls which might even beat Skyrim or at least equal

XIII Heartless

Head Mom In Charge
Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com
Hmm...not in order of rank:

1.) Skyward Sword due to the responsiveness of the controls.
2.) Batman Arkham Asylum/City due to the fact that....well, you've all played the game. You feel like Bruce Wayne.
3.) Any main Pokemon game. Usually name the character after me, and the level of customization allows me to build a Pokemon party of my choosing.
4.) Spider-Man 2 & Ultimate Spider-Man for reasons similar to #2, but I'm waiting on a game that does this better for my favorite superhero.
5.) Kingdom Hearts/2/Re: CoM because I often project myself onto Sora.

That's all I can think of right this instant.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
defineprog.deviantart.com
Pretty much any Bioware game. In the Mass Effect series, specifically, I have never cared for a fictional character as much as I don in these games. When I accidentally got Garrus killed in my first attempt at the suicide run, I audibly screamed "Nooooooooo" (and reloaded the game to my last save point).

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
Adventure/open world games and RPG's are where I truly feel immersed. I miss traversing through various different lands. I miss the dungeon crawling. I miss that feeling of imminent danger and doom that they gave off. What happened to the days of 20+ hour epics? Now we're lucky to even get 10 hours of gameplay. It's the reason why I rarely play anything else nowadays.

A game like Arkham City is a perfect example. You truly feel like "Batman"/Bruce Wayne while playing through the game.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Metal Gear. I have never felt so bad after killing a grunt than in MGS2, and have rarely seen a boss more brilliant than Psycho Mantis. The games are so post-modern and clever in the way they address and treat the player that even though Snake and Raiden are characters with their own stories and personalities completely separate from my own, it makes me feel like I'm part of the game experience.

CaptainMarvelQ8

Bronze Member
Awards
I AM ADAM MOTHERFUCKING JENSEN

i never realised how deep my voice was until i played humanz la révolution

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Batman: Arkham City and Dragon Age II. Dragon Age II to a lesser extent, but Batman: Arkham City, I felt like I was The Gosh Darned Baman.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
The majority of CRPGs that I've played. Every first playthrough I've done in those games I've always made choices as I would were I in those situations. I project myself to a great extent and are able to do so more than other games since that character is me to some degree.

And MGS2 in a different context/extent.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
Metal Gear and Infamous, as the honorable mentions to this thread. In InFAMOUS, unlike Grand Theft Auto, I don't want to hurt civilians. At all. Especially in 2. I really wanted to help them. The more good decisions I did, the more I felt like I really was the person, in the game, making the decision to help the people/do good things.

Metal Gear Solid 2 was nice, in the aspect that you got to see a large, incredibly scaled operation that completely made sense after a thorough explanation, and you saw everything through a relatable protagonist, but not to the point where you thought "man, boring generic character" and instead saw it as something mildly realistic in a sense. The environment, especially with the guards, was a nice addition to. As previously said, you really didn't want to kill random guards, but would if you had to.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Definitely Tactics Ogre. I absolutely love the choices you can make in that game and how it actually does effect both the plot and (to a somewhat lesser extent) the gameplay.

Hell, members of your order will actually leave if they don't like your decisions O_O

Silverslide

need some more candy cane
Just want to gather some opinions and maybe get some people thinking...

In what video game do you feel the most connected to the character you're controlling? What games truly let you lose yourself and immerse into the experience where it feels like you become one with the character?

Assassin's Creed for sure. It's kind of unexplainable at least for the Ezio arc, you play from his birth, and experience his death and even the gameplay the environments are so immersive.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
The environment, especially with the guards, was a nice addition to. As previously said, you really didn't want to kill random guards, but would if you had to.

The thing that made me not want to kill them is the fact that killing them is actually acknowledged. One of the conversations you can have with Rose in the game is specifically about this, Raiden mentions how it makes him feel sick and that it's not right. For some reason it just made me feel so bad that I never wanted to kill a guard in that game again. I have never seen a game that affected me this way before.

Shinra

Banned
Awards
I want to kick myself for leaving inFamous and inFamous 2 off the list.

that's agreeable. because although I only played 2, the choice of doing the right thing no matter what or going against the grain and eventually turning against humanity would give you an immersive experience that makes you feel as though you ARE Cole Mcgrath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back