• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Has the lack of Kingdom Hearts 3 made anyone jaded over the years?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpha Sonix

Jaded implies I'm not satisfied with the content we've received over the years which couldn't be any further from the truth. I'm happy that at least Birth By Sleep and KH3D came out and with 2.8 coming soon that's one more title to sink your teeth into. Even with the lack of KH3 news this year, I didn't really care much. I won't say I wasn't disappointed but I understand that these things take time and Nomura and the Osaka team are doing there best at the moment to put the game out as soon as possible. In the meantime I have plenty of things to do so I can wait. But yeah, not jaded so much as I think they should have timed the announcement of KH3 a bit closer to the release, something Square seem to have a problem of doing.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Although to be fair, gaming sites and magazines are also partly to blame during the period of 2005 to 2012 with continuing to pester Nomura and the other developers about "Kingdom Hearts III" and sometimes being openly dismissive of the handheld titles before even playing them because "it's not KH III", totally ignoring the fact that they were told there won't be a KH III for quite a period of time.

Some gaming magazines still kinda have a dismissive attitude towards the "side games." Like when 2.8 was announced the gaming magazine which I order and read had a little segment about it and the tone towards 2.8 was more like: "Well this means KHIII won´t be coming yet" and that saddened me a bit. Also in their podcast one member was a bit bummed that KHIII was not shown in TGS and instead 2.8 got the spotlight. I am not sure how 2.8 showing at TGS was a surprise since Square announced at E3 that we would get KHIII news at winter... I really respect the guys working in that gaming media, but sometimes their KH knowledge is a bit... rusty.

Edit:

What puzzles me even more were the comments from the hosts of PS Accses. The guy was excited and talked about how he is controlling Kingdom Hearts. It sounded to me like he meant that he has not done that in a long time, which is odd since last new game came out in 2012. Maybe he was referring to KHII or something.

Last edited:

Raybrand

If it where any other series then I probably would be, but I if KH3 came out this next year or next few years after on release day I would still feel just as happy, my excitement to play it wouldn't have died down.

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
Not really. It's not like I've been waiting for KH3 all these years, I was always excited for each and every KH game when they were announced, hoping that they'd be good. I'm not a fan of BBS, but DDD and Coded, while flawed, had some really good moments and 0.2 is looking as promising as anything can so far.

So yeah, I'm glad we didn't get KH3 earlier, because if it needed all these years and all the handhelds to get to the point where it will be amazing, I'm absolutely fine with that. I wouldn't expect a series with several games to have nothing but perfect masterpieces anyway. You gotta test and try things to get it right. I believe the KH3 we're getting now is much better than the KH3 we would have gotten way back in the days.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
For the people who do care about story and the plot continuing... the plot never stopped continuing. BbS, Coded, and DDD have all moved the plot forward. Days the only one that I can think of that is strictly set in a certain time period and only developed some characters rather than actively move the plot or introduce anything new really (other than Xion, and fleshing out the clone scenario that might just matter in the near future) Why have you been 'waiting for 10 years' when the plot hasn't stopped moving for more than a few years?
I've had this discussion before, but the plot did not continue until 3D. It jumped backwards and off to the side, it didn't move forward. Unless after you finished KH2, your first thought wasn’t “I want to see what happens to these characters next,” but “Gee, I’d like to jump 10 years into the past to characters who thus far have never existed, but are for contrived reasons necessary to understand the story that’s already played out for 3 games.”

I think it's clear when you look at magazine articles/write-ins and overall fan response (and I mean, more than just on this forum) that the lack of KH3 has made plenty of fans jaded, whatever your personal opinions about the subject of whether or not you think they have the right to feel a certain way. Only pressed fans who want to control a narrative get that upset about other people not feeling the same way they do about the lack of KH3. lol

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I'm not jaded at all. I'd rather have them take their time and add the best elements of Disney and Final Fantasy as opposed to rushing it out of the gate for impatient people who are on the Kingdom Hearts III hype bandwagon. Every year since 2008, we've been getting Kingdom Hearts content and most of it has been satisfying content too.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
I've had this discussion before, but the plot did not continue until 3D. It jumped backwards and off to the side, it didn't move forward. Unless after you finished KH2, your first thought wasn’t “I want to see what happens to these characters next,” but “Gee, I’d like to jump 10 years into the past to characters who thus far have never existed, but are for contrived reasons necessary to understand the story that’s already played out for 3 games.”

I think it's clear when you look at magazine articles/write-ins and overall fan response (and I mean, more than just on this forum) that the lack of KH3 has made plenty of fans jaded, whatever your personal opinions about the subject of whether or not you think they have the right to feel a certain way. Only pressed fans who want to control a narrative get that upset about other people not feeling the same way they do about the lack of KH3. lol

When I finished KH2, I was satisfied with it. When I saw the secret ending, I wanted to know allllllllllllllll about the three mysterious armored figures, the graveyard, and the weirdo old man and I got my wish.

I don't think that's jaded. I think it's spoiled and impatient. The game was announced. The most you got for the future was Sora opening a bottle at the end. So vague, so everything, there was not even much of an indication that there would be a plot after KH2 save the secret ending with TAV.

I think rather than jaded, people let their nostalgic feelings and impatience for a game that was never promised overwhelm them with entitlement.

There is no point in KH3 without games like BbS. There is no villain, there is no goal, there's nothing but a vague letter that most certainly would not have lead immediately into another numbered installment. BbS, DDD, and a small part of Coded ARE the plot of KH3 because there is nothing else but heartless and nobodies running around, nothing Sora was going to try to fix because he can't.

It would have sucked because there was no grand motive. We wouldn't have gotten the game for as soon as we are since the original KH team is now a mixture of FF15 and other games. I know this, and I think you do too because I'm pretty sure in someone already told you this in response.

I still don't get you, and 'jaded' people about a game that was never promised and never existed. I can't see it as anything but entitlement for a game you can't say you spent your money on because it didn't even exist yet.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
In the past maybe, but now not so much.

For me it helps that there are things coming up soon to get excited for like Sun and Moon or the new PR movie. Helps take my mind off the wait

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I wouldn't say jaded, maybe afraid.

Playing the waiting game was never an issue for me, not even for KH which is something I kinda lived on for a few years.
But not liking KH III, being disappointed by it, it would be quite the heavy blow. So I'm only a bit anxious for that reason.
Oh, and I'm sooo nostalgic and emotional, I will cry countless rivers just for the end of the Xehanort saga, but that's a given.

KaitoXIII

Awards
I'm not jaded to KHIII, I'm more or less just tired of people talking/complaining about it. I've never rolled my eyes so much. All the reposted memes, waiting for such and such amount of years, over exaggerations of the wait time, uneducated guesses from "theorists" etc. Outside of my own want for the game, i want it to come out so people can talk about something else

Theta

Am I jaded about the long "wait"? Not really. Not directly at least. I may be somewhat jaded at all the console hopping it has done, which I would guess is a symptom of the "wait."

Also, wasn't the reason development on KH3 didn't start until so recently because the "KH team" was working on Versus? And since that game was essentially scrapped I'm kinda left wondering (in that sorta wondering-not-wondering sorta way) what this whole wait has been for.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Theta: Versus wasn't completely scrapped. Versus ======>>FFXV.

That's why the wait.

I think I hinted; I'm not jaded about it. Am sick of people whining about it though. Also it's sad it's jumped consoles so many times too.

Didn't anyone tell those folks the fansubber's rule: "It'll be done when it's done"?

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
There is no point in KH3 without games like BbS. There is no villain, there is no goal, there's nothing but a vague letter that most certainly would not have lead immediately into another numbered installment. BbS, DDD, and a small part of Coded ARE the plot of KH3 because there is nothing else but heartless and nobodies running around, nothing Sora was going to try to fix because he can't.
The thing is, KH1 and KH2 did not require other games in order to exist. (Before someone else inserts a correction: KH2 pretends CoM does not exist.) KH3 didn't need 5 other games in order to build a story. A competent writer could create one within KH3 itself, but writing is not this series' strength.

As for the rest of your post I didn't quote: This is what I don't get. You have people who disagree with you and the only way to respond is to call them, 'spoiled,' 'entitled,' and a litany of other pejoratives--when the truth is they have just as much justification to feel dissatisfied with the way this series has played out as you are to be happy with it. You don't hold the cornerstone on what KH fans should think about the series.

Guernsey

Awards
I'll admit that I would liked KH3 on PS3 but I guess it is better late then never.

Last edited:

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
I don't think I've been into this series long enough to be jaded by the wait.

Harmonie

Crazy Woodwind Lady
Awards
To be honest, I do not feel any frustration at all, even though I played KHII ten years ago. The spin-offs have satisfied me, and Kingdom Hearts III wasn't revealed until, what, three years ago? Hard for me to be impatient before then, they were hardly even teasing it. Then when it was revealed, I knew it wasn't coming out for quite some time, and didn't concern myself with it. They hardly even show the game, so I keep my expectations of release in check.

The only thing that will get me is if they take so long to release the game that it gets delayed to the next Playstation. I bought a PS4 before quitting my job and going back to school just for KHIII. I do not have money for consoles anymore.

Awards
I think if you spend 11 years waiting for a game that wasnt announced, you deserve to feel unhappy.
I 100% agree with that statement.
I'll admit that I would liked KH3 on PS3 but I wuess it is better late then never.
Nomura has gone on record and said that they tried testing the PS3 hardware for Kingdom Hearts 3 but since the system was so hard to develop for unless you were a PlayStation owned developer (NaughtyDog) it was insane to develop for along with their engines like Crystal Tools or Luminous Studio were terrible.
The thing is, KH1 and KH2 did not require other games in order to exist. (Before someone else inserts a correction: KH2 pretends CoM does not exist.) KH3 didn't need 5 other games in order to build a story. A competent writer could create one within KH3 itself, but writing is not this series' strength.
No KH2 doesn't pretend Chain of Memories doesn't exist the entire introduction leading up to Sora's awakening is proof of that. Just because Sora, Donald,Goofy, and Jimminy can't remember the events it doesn't mean it didn't happen or matter. Sure maybe 358/2 days and Re:Coded where a bit unnecessary but not completely and maybe making them into games was a bit of bad idea along with some of Nomura's story telling isn't the best but no ones is. But Birth by Sleep was 100% necessary for KH3 without it like what's been stated there would be no threat. Who would the threat be without BBS? Just the original apprentice Xehanort? He would be just a normal man because without BBS he isn't a Keyblade wielder nor would he be a heartless or nobody he would just be a regular human. And BBS wasn't just made out of thin air there where a ton of signs leading to its existence such as Xigbars constant comments on other Keyblade wielders and the secret ending which existed even before the Final Mix.

Last edited:

Kounelli

Awards
(Before someone else inserts a correction: KH2 pretends CoM does not exist.)

I respect your opinion and can understand your frustrations, it is your right as a consumer to express disappointment in any way possible. However, doesn't the "Thank Namine" journal entry that Jimminy brings to Sora's attention count as KHII acknowledging the events in CoM? I can't remember other instances off of the top of my head, but that's the biggest one that comes to mind...

Awards
My two cents:

I feel like most people here--people who have been actively following and keeping up with KH--aren't the ones who are going to be jaded because they know and are familiar with the relevance and quality of the handheld games.

HOWEVER. I think it's important to note that to casual fans, people who don't regularly play KH games and are only into it for certain elements such as story, Disney, or perhaps console game play, may in fact be jaded. The secret ending of KH does not directly state a KH3 trailer, but I can see where casual fans of the game would assume that is a KH3 trailer if they didn't have any other knowledge about it.

To answer your question, no, I'm not jaded because I know that the series has evolved and grown in other ways just like all of us at this site. But, if I had ONLY played KH1 and KH2, and was eagerly anticipating a release for KH3 after finishing KH2 10+ years ago, I could see where one might become a little jaded.

Guernsey

Awards
My two cents:

I feel like most people here--people who have been actively following and keeping up with KH--aren't the ones who are going to be jaded because they know and are familiar with the relevance and quality of the handheld games.

HOWEVER. I think it's important to note that to casual fans, people who don't regularly play KH games and are only into it for certain elements such as story, Disney, or perhaps console game play, may in fact be jaded. The secret ending of KH does not directly state a KH3 trailer, but I can see where casual fans of the game would assume that is a KH3 trailer if they didn't have any other knowledge about it.

To answer your question, no, I'm not jaded because I know that the series has evolved and grown in other ways just like all of us at this site. But, if I had ONLY played KH1 and KH2, and was eagerly anticipating a release for KH3 after finishing KH2 10+ years ago, I could see where one might become a little jaded.

That actually makes sense. I played almost every game in the franchise and I had followed (or at least try keep up with the story) and while I am not a casual fan, I am hardly a hardcore fan either and I still enjoy the interquels that expand the universe. I really like the world building that the so called "side games" bring as it expands on the universe and I finally figured out what happened to Sora after KH2 in DDD. Despite this I understand why causal fans would disappointed with the portable games, the common perception of most portables is that portable games are just side stories and/or that have no influence on console games. I am not saying that this is right but I understand where some causal fans are coming from with the portable games. I know that DDD, BBS, CoM and Coded are canon and both Coded and CoM got updates in the form of Re:Com and Re:coded respectively. Again, I am not saying that this is right but most causal fans wanted a KH3 on a console and just became cynical after realizing that Square Enix was not going to deliver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back