• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy VIII - "collect all the hot dogs"

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackstin

Bronze Member
Awards
re: Final Fantasy VIII - "collect all the hot dogs"

....All he does for the rest of the game is mope about a girl he just met dieing....wow people die!

Squall, however, just is a little insecure because he lost Ellone at such a young age.
Aerith doesn't die until well into the game (spoiler), obviously he's going to be upset. If you became really good friends with someone and they died you'd be pretty upset too. Squall on the other hand is always moaning, not only that but he's a one-dimensional character.

Eva

~ ♥~ Grand Summoner~ ♥~
Awards

Aerith doesn't die until well into the game (spoiler), obviously he's going to be upset. If you became really good friends with someone and they died you'd be pretty upset too. Squall on the other hand is always moaning, not only that but he's a one-dimensional character.

Whoever doesn't know that at this point in time has either never played any FFs or has been living under a rock.

Cloud's guilt overshadows his character and makes him this mopey guy that blames himself for something he couldn't prevent, making him hung up on the past. This trait, while making him sympathetic, makes him very annoying to some players. But I digress only because I think of Cloud as the type of character to blame himself for everything despite not having control over whatever happens.

Squall, on the other hand, is an anti-social guy who can't spit out his thoughts (but let's them all out on the player, who can see his thoughts). You can say he's 'always moaning' while comparing Cloud's moping being 'sympathetic', but then again you're not looking at Squall's POV and assuming he's one-dimensional without really looking at the character. Look a little closely and you'll see the guy who never wanted to be a hero, confused about his life (as most teenagers are, obviously), and forced into a predicament without a say in what he wants to do.

Jackstin

Bronze Member
Awards

but then again you're not looking at Squall's POV and assuming he's one-dimensional without really looking at the character. Look a little closely and you'll see the guy who never wanted to be a hero, confused about his life (as most teenagers are, obviously), and forced into a predicament without a say in what he wants to do.

That's still pretty one-dimensional, after all, two of the traits you mentioned are the same, and the third is too vague to build any characterisation on.

Eva

~ ♥~ Grand Summoner~ ♥~
Awards

That's still pretty one-dimensional, after all, two of the traits you mentioned are the same, and the third is too vague to build any characterisation on.

And obviously grieving over someone's death makes them a better character.

Jackstin

Bronze Member
Awards

And obviously grieving over someone's death makes them a better character.

You're completely ignoring every other aspect of Cloud's personality which makes him interesting; firstly that he's mental and is adopting someone else's history, and secondly that when he finds out he was wrong about his life, that he is expected to keep acting as the hero.

With Squall, the one character trait you could think of, is his only significant character trait. That's pretty much a text book description of what one-dimensional means.

Eva

~ ♥~ Grand Summoner~ ♥~
Awards

I digress, but still think Squall is a better character.

Ophan

Airman
Awards
Website
zionphnx.deviantart.com

I have to say i also did not care for Squall. I'm not much for Cloud either....the silent hero type is just very uninteresting to me. That's not to say that they're of complete non-interest, because if other factors in the story have them develop more characteristics, then the height of their character becomes more bearable or maybe even relate-able, and that has to come form a strong inter development.

As far as that, i like hero's more upbeat or comical, but also with a serious side, like Zidane for example. He's likable in the sense that he just draws you in to his witty attitude, and in-game not everyone likes him at first, especially Steiner, lol.

Jackstin

Bronze Member
Awards

I haven't played VIII in YONKS!

I've got 6 more FFs to 100%, then I can go back to the main series (doing the NES version of FF1 atm! Hooray for Virtual Console bringing it to the UK)

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards

That suddenly reminded me of how little triple triad is used on this site.

Darkened_Martyr

Final Fantasy VIII: Squall's Gunblade

Well...here's the situation. I've recently gotten back into playing Final Fantasy VIII (it's one of my favorites, but I haven't beaten it all the way through in years). But as I restarted, I became more interested in the idea of the Gunblade. It's such a ridiculous concept that it's interesting. At this point, I basically want to examine the actual physicality of the concept, however.

The original theory that I heard was that, while striking an enemy, the trigger is pulled, which fires a sort of blank that vibrates the blade, making the blade sink deeper. While this is a bit contradictory in it's own right (the vibration would have to go through the user as well), I want to hear people's thoughts. If anyone has some input, feel free to put forward your two cents. If not, I'll be posting more of my thoughts just to keep a record of it all as I work on the theories.

If any engineers out there want to completely disprove this theory, I'd love to hear it. It'd make me move on to some other fantastical project haha.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
Re: Final Fantasy VIII: Squall's Gunblade

unless something suppressed the vibration perhaps then it didn't affect the user

..yet again, this is final fantasy overall

Darkened_Martyr

Re: Final Fantasy VIII: Squall's Gunblade

Actually went through that article a few days ago; it has a little background information, and linked me to the crude 'gun swords' used during the transition period between blades and guns. I've actually thought about the suppression of the vibration as well...whether that could be rigged or not, I'm still debating. But as I was diagramming this out in my mind (and later on paper) I came across another issue that kind of made me think. Looking at the structure of Revolver, and the model that really inspired me to look into this, Vanishing Star by *montyoum on deviantART, the first issue of making one of these blades is keeping the hilt and the blade connected. The blade is connected to the hilt, but the support for the blade is limited, since the cylinder has to be in the middle of the blade. I'm not wording this very well...but the fact is that the blade could easily snap if it isn't supported well by both the pin supporting the cylinder and the two surrounding parts of the blade. Thus the first hurdle has been found...the first of many, I imagine. Still, I'd love to prove the capabilities of this. Not necessarily practicality, but that the functions of such a weapon could be useful in some instance. If so, I'll save my money and eventually make one. If all this does is prove that the idea is as ridiculous as it seems...well, I can deal with that too.

PkmnTrainerJ

Awards
Website
www.twitter.com

It's been a good while since I played this. I'm just outside the Fire Cavern, and trying to remember what kind of bonus you get for doing the Fire Cavern in x amount of time. Any help? Does it go towards SeeD rank, or something else? Also, any tips on actually defeating X-ATM092? I am aware it's possible but difficult and I've never attempted it.

lasersquash

Sitting on a comfy chair in front of a fireplace ,

It's been a good while since I played this. I'm just outside the Fire Cavern, and trying to remember what kind of bonus you get for doing the Fire Cavern in x amount of time. Any help? Does it go towards SeeD rank, or something else? Also, any tips on actually defeating X-ATM092? I am aware it's possible but difficult and I've never attempted it.

Both of those actions and how fast you deal with , or the robots case, and simply deal with it will affect you're ranking a Seed member.
(And to kill the robot i recommend to keep selphie barely alive to spam powerful lightning attacks and don't use summons cause they take too long.)
For more info :GameFAQs: Final Fantasy VIII (PS) X-ATM092 Guide by LVeitch

PkmnTrainerJ

Awards
Website
www.twitter.com

Another question now. As I'm playing on PSP, is there any way to be able to level up Boko or gain Moomba/MiniMog as GFs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back