• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy VIII - "collect all the hot dogs"

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
re: Final Fantasy VIII - "collect all the hot dogs"

Squall and Rinoa's development alone were highlights for me when I first played VIII four years ago, and now I'm replaying for that same feeling and plus I can't remember if the other characters in the main party had as much development, excluding Laguna & co.

"OH GUESS I'LL STOP BEING SAD SUDDENLY" like a certain someone else *cough* Hope *cough*.

I still find Hope's development to be pretty awesome despite what everyone else thinks. Especially since it really wasn't at all sudden seeing as how he still remained whiny for all even when developing.

Weeaboo

Kawaii Queen
Awards
Website
www.subeta.net
re: Final Fantasy VIII - "collect all the hot dogs"

Quistis was developed near the end of Disc One, after that, she was left to stand and watch over the Garden.
Zell got a little development in Disc Two when Balamb was invaded, but that's all for him.
Selphie had no development until Disc Three/Two when you went to Trabia.
Irvine had a bit at the end of Disc One and some more when you went to Trabia.

That's about it, really.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
Final Fantasy VIII was by far my favorite FF game, just saying.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
It's one of my favourites. It's got one of the best soundtracks ever and absolutely beautiful art direction. I love the futuristic theme and how colourful it is! The only obvious con is the junction system. Not that it's bad in theory. I get how it works and it's a neat experiment. But it's badly executed. You should not be able to exploit it and beat the game at the lowest possible level because it also happens to be the easiest way to do it! Inexperienced players are being punished for levelling up. That's not right. I also think some of the characters need to be fleshed out a little bit more.

Anyway, I'm always excited to see this game get some love nowadays. I remember when it came out. Everyone loved it and all reviewers praised it as "bigger and better" than its predecessor. Then the internet came along and it was suddenly the black sheep of the franchise until the XIII controversy. IX on the other hand is now the critics' darling and is loved by a lot of pretentious fans who talk like they had been following the series since day one and were pleased to see it return to its roots, when in reality most people were introduced to the series with VII and didn't play either of the first five games, ie the ones that IX reminded of, until years later. Don't get me wrong, I do think that there are some fans who genuinely had been playing the series since way back when it was still about finding magical crystals. But the majority certainly hadn't.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
It's one of my favourites. It's got one of the best soundtracks ever and absolutely beautiful art direction. I love the futuristic theme and how colourful it is! The only obvious con is the junction system. Not that it's bad in theory. I get how it works and it's a neat experiment. But it's badly executed. You should not be able to exploit it and beat the game at the lowest possible level because it also happens to be the easiest way to do it! Inexperienced players are being punished for levelling up. That's not right. I also think some of the characters need to be fleshed out a little bit more.

^This.
Junctioning was a good idea, but poorly executed and ended being very broken. Currently on a run where I got Lionheart on disc 1, and I'm level 14 with Diablos' Encounter Off ability on.

If you play the card game, and learn a few GF abilities in the beginning, you can get through 90% of this game with the ultimate weapon, an unnecessary amount of heroes (an item that makes you invincible), and fight almost no random battles. May as well have been an adventure game

Dark Master

Panda Paintbrushes
Awards
I remember playing this, it was the first playstation game I ever bought for myself. It amazed me that there were so many discs because I had never played games like that plus it was an rpg which is a genre I had never played before. Ff8 is the game that got me into the final fantasy series. So mt question is this, does anyone know if its on the psn to play? I just got a ps3 and I'd love to replay it!

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Out now on Steam. Here's the launch trailer:

[video=youtube_share;HghscheesepmGg]http://youtu.be/HghscheesepmGg[/video]

EDIT: For some reason, the video won't work. Here's the link:
http://youtu.be/HghscheesepmGg

Yakumo Fuji

Awards
I have been seriously enjoying delving back into VIII with the new Steam release, and the inclusion of the Chocobo World minigame has been a nice distraction. Just finished the main game and it's reminded me why I used to love it. Though the battle system was never my favourite addition to the series (I personally feel like it's one of the weakest) I do love the characters and the set-up of the world was really fascinating. Just a shame, like some others here have mentioned, that the development of some characters and the world wasn't equally portioned out.

Still a great game though. Remains a favourite of mine.

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
While playing through the recent Steam release, I've been wondering; if you were given the chance to fix FF8, how would you do so?

The top issues with the game are basically the unfinished junction battle-system, the poorly executed 'we all have amnesia' part and how all we're doing is worthless, since time won't really progress further than Ultimecia's timeline.

I really appreciate the rest of the game though. The designs are brilliant, the music, graphics, character development (Squall and Rinoa, oh my) and everything else has a lot of work put into it.

So let's say Square Enix decides to remake the game. This would give them the opportunity to improve the battle system, and even add or remove dialogue which might drastically improve both the amnesia and time-looping. How would you do it, if given the chance?

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
This was actually my first ever PlayStation one game. I was in need of a new videogame and my parents wouldn't buy me one. So my brother who was with at a local Walmart. He knew I wanted a new game and he told me he'd only get me one if it was cheap. We went to electronic section of the store. I saw Final Fantasy VIII Greatest Hits behind the glass and I just chose it. When I got back into the car, I opened up the case seeing 4 discs and I thought to myself "oh wow! 4 games in one!" lol. And it wasn't until I got home was mesmerized by epic introduction. I was never appealed to the franchise had always gotten tired with the commercials played aired on the television. The moment I began playing it. I started to appreciated it more and from there I just kept getting the rest of the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back