• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Disney Infinity is being discontinued

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
If anything I would hope that this would influence Disney to pour more energy into Kingdom Hearts as their, yet again, only crossover franchise. They have neglected it for far too long and tried to do their own twists on the concept to be left with just Kingdom Hearts.

reimeille

If anything I would hope that this would influence Disney to pour more energy into Kingdom Hearts as their, yet again, only crossover franchise. They have neglected it for far too long and tried to do their own twists on the concept to be left with just Kingdom Hearts.

That would be fantastic, and honestly makes sense right now. With the 15th anniversary and possibly KH3 as well next year, it's perfect timing for Disney to show more love for the franchise. That "Walt Disney Studios collaboration" thing that Roy "Not Xehanort" Conli presented last year makes me a little optimistic on our chances.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards

Disney's Kingdom Hearts Upon a Time - Sundays, 8/7 central on Disney XD

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
Yeah, so I am upset about this, I did devote a lot of money to Disney Infinity, which I don't regret per se because the figures are still nice. But yeah, I feel worse because of all they were working on and just have to trash, which leads to the second point: It doesn't feel like the people working for Disney Infinity knew about this? Or not enough of them. They were still making podcasts, and saying stuff about the other new playsets and figures they were making just a month ago or so. This implies to me they just fired them all without notice which is disgusting honestly.

Like...I don't want to support that sort of business practice at all. But Disney has its hands in so many things I love I can't necessarily just boycott it or something...

Also yeah, I would hope this would not affect Kingdom Hearts negatively at all. I want to say it won't, but yeah.

Edit: Oh and this means no Kim Possible figure, screw that. That was gonna be great. I wish they would still produce all the characters they had lined up.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
on the bright side, the figures you have will be worth that much more and any ones you don't will be on clearance eventually so it's good. and when they gain a cult underground following, disney is gonna bring them back for nostalgia goons.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
Time to invest in that Kylo Ren figure...and Quorra...and Donald.

WE WILL NEVER GET A GOOFY ;A;

Yeah I feel Goofy was set to come out this year...we knew they were working on Peter Pan who it sounds like won't be coming either...just stuff like that bums me out too. Though yeah, I mean I could see them bringing them some time for "nostalgia" ha.

But yeah Donald and Quorra are two of my fave figures, I recommend them :p

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Mm, unless licensing deals are structured like what happened with Star Wars, it's actually really unlikely that Disney would have to go through a third party for the IP. And that's like in the case of IPs there were acquired. Disney had other developers license their IP and it's not really stopped kingdom hearts in the last. It'd have to be a hell of a deal for Disney to let a developer have sway over what they do with their own property. And even if that does happen, kingdom hearts is a pre existing franchise, I'm sure there will be some sort of catch all agreement

Recon

Art of War
Awards
Ah, why I didn't think this would have been reported is silly of me >.<

Anyways, $147 million is a small fine for Disney. I guess this business model just isn't popular anymore, or Disney ran out of steam to keep it interesting. This is the same business model Nintendo observed for some time and eventually decided to create it's own model, Amiibos, for those that didn't know. It it still well known that Disney made A KILLING off of Disney Infinity when it launched. I guess creating different iterations (or versions) seemed to kill its growth. Or perhaps just a tiresome idea with kids nowadays. RIP!

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Time to invest in that Kylo Ren figure...and Quorra...and Donald.

WE WILL NEVER GET A GOOFY ;A;

i wanted kh goofy so bad. we were getting so close to having kh recognized, DI really seemed like the jumping on point. it really sucks they went and did this but what can you do?

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
Good riddance, but I am sorry for the employees/fans.
Exactly my thoughts, it was a bad game in all its incarnations.

This does, however, pose potential dilemmas for Kingdom Hearts. If other developers license Disney properties, Square Enix would have to pay those developers to use them, which could limit which worlds and characters can appear in future installments.
I don't understand what's meant by this statement at all. Why would Square Enix have to pay other developers if those developers wanted to license Disney properties?

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Very sad to hear this and I hope the ex-employees find jobs soon. Disney Infinity 3.0 was a great game and the characters were all awesome. I need to snag up a few more before they disappear forever.

Exactly my thoughts, it was a bad game in all its incarnations.

I don't understand what's meant by this statement at all. Why would Square Enix have to pay other developers if those developers wanted to license Disney properties?
IIRC EA has the licenses to Star Wars games. If Square wanted Star Wars in KH, they would have to pay EA for it. I believe this was what D.I. was doing as well.

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
IIRC EA has the licenses to Star Wars games. If Square wanted Star Wars in KH, they would have to pay EA for it. I believe this was what D.I. was doing as well.
Ah okay, I get. But as you said, this was also the case before.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
On a slightly unrelated note, the design for the Disney Infinity figures were very lackluster. It didn't have the feel of a Skylander or Amiibo in which you felt like you had the toy incarnation of a character. I understand it's a stylistic choice, but let me show you how much of a downgrade the Disney Infinity figures are from their actual character counterparts...

latest

latest

As far as this decision goes, it's honestly the best choice. Disney games are most memorable and quality assured when licensed to third party companies like Capcom and Sega with Ducktales and Castle of Illusions respectively.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Disney games are most memorable and quality assured when licensed to third party companies like Capcom and Sega with Ducktales and Castle of Illusions respectively.
Personally those games sucked. Well Castle of Illusions Remake did.

The Disney Infinity 3.0 figures were of a high quality and were made more faithful to the original characters. It felt like I was holding an expensive figurine in my hands crafted with such care like that scene from Toy Story 2

Knuxpyro56

The design choice for the Infinity figures were the most acclaimed thing about the franchise. To many, they saw it resemble the Clone Wars designs and that was before Star Wars was added, once they were, it was so clear. It kept a consecutive look by making them look like Toys. Compare that to the outrageous and ugly designs of Skylanders(DK and Bowser), or the lack of a look (amiibo).

Back