• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Disney Infinity is being discontinued

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
It isn't shocking, but is truly baffling that Disney was unwilling to take any risks. It wasn't like it was something that was so difficult for them to do, either. They have the capitol and the IPs the the creative talent for it. Why was this so difficult?
It didn't seem that surprising to me. Hasn't Disney always been real protective and overly cautious with their properties and IP's? They were pretty leery of KH1 'til it smashed it out of the park.

Knuxpyro56

It didn't seem that surprising to me. Hasn't Disney always been real protective and overly cautious with their properties and IP's? They were pretty leery of KH1 'til it smashed it out of the park.

If you can prove that you can innovate, then they will be open about it. Its always been that way

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

They are protective, but they haven't been afraid of taking well-calculated risks in the past. Disney not taking any risks at all while being overbearing and restrictive on the in-house developers stifled the ability for their developers to create groundbreaking IP or groundbreaking games based on existing IP. They essentially killed their own potential by not applying their creative philosophy to all aspects of their company. This is what is confusing to me.

We've seen with studios like Naughty Dog who have embraced the concept of cinematic storytelling in order to create imaginative video games. So why is Disney, one of the entertainment industry's top dogs when it comes to cinematic storytelling, unable to apply this mindset to video game development?

Knuxpyro56

They are protective, but they haven't been afraid of taking well-calculated risks in the past. Disney not taking any risks at all while being overbearing and restrictive on the in-house developers stifled the ability for their developers to create groundbreaking IP or groundbreaking games based on existing IP. They essentially killed their own potential by not applying their creative philosophy to all aspects of their company. This is what is confusing to me.

We've seen with studios like Naughty Dog who have embraced the concept of cinematic storytelling in order to create imaginative video games. So why is Disney, one of the entertainment industry's top dogs when it comes to cinematic storytelling, unable to apply this mindset to video game development?

Because no matter how you look at it Disney like many other people, still know the fact that videogames are still a new medium to fully embrace.

Yes you see Disney characters interact with one another on TV shows like House of Mouse, or their interactions in the parks. HOWEVER, it is still limited. Take a look at the Star Wars franchise. Star Tours has been in Disneyland for 30 years. People love Star Wars at the parks. But do you know what they hate, Disney Characters interacting with the Stars of Star Wars. Yes we saw Muppets with the cast before, but that was still the cast interacting with the muppets AT the muppet studio. That is drastically different then Jedi Mickey or Darth Goofy.

We are more open about it in video games, because gamers are used to the ideas of crossovers, and that can drive excitment. But Disney isn't just aiming at gamers, they have to appeal to the Disney fan, the general audience, and the person who has never played a game before.

That is how i see it.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Because no matter how you look at it Disney like many other people, still know the fact that videogames are still a new medium to fully embrace.

Yes you see Disney characters interact with one another on TV shows like House of Mouse, or their interactions in the parks. HOWEVER, it is still limited. Take a look at the Star Wars franchise. Star Tours has been in Disneyland for 30 years. People love Star Wars at the parks. But do you know what they hate, Disney Characters interacting with the Stars of Star Wars. Yes we saw Muppets with the cast before, but that was still the cast interacting with the muppets AT the muppet studio. That is drastically different then Jedi Mickey or Darth Goofy.

We are more open about it in video games, because gamers are used to the ideas of crossovers, and that can drive excitment. But Disney isn't just aiming at gamers, they have to appeal to the Disney fan, the general audience, and the person who has never played a game before.

That is how i see it.
idk. We're talkin' about a game franchise that has had Disney characters interacting with Final Fantasy characters on multiple occasions. If the idea of this crossover hasn't sunk in for the past 14 years, I'm not sure when it will.

And let's be honest: the game is going to make the most money off of crazy people like us who're used to the weirdness and have been waiting for this game for a very long time. If all goes well, the fandom's frenzy over the game might push casuals and even non-gamers into checking it out eventually.

Knuxpyro56

idk. We're talkin' about a game franchise that has had Disney characters interacting with Final Fantasy characters on multiple occasions. If the idea of this crossover hasn't sunk in for the past 14 years, I'm not sure when it will.

And let's be honest: the game is going to make the most money off of crazy people like us who're used to the weirdness and have been waiting for this game for a very long time. If all goes well, the fandom's frenzy over the game might push casuals and even non-gamers into checking it out eventually.

That may be, but remember, you are going to have convince someone about playing a game with Disney Characters in a complex plot to take it seriously. Thats the issue. And besides this isn't something that easy to convey to people outside Japan (which they are always in Disneymania). Yes, there are hundreds of thousands of Disney and Final Fantasy Fans, but there are also hundreds of thousands of people who hate Disney for no reason.

Will this game sell, absolutely. No doubt. I'll be there to preorder it once a release date has been set (hopefully on PSN). And Disney will market this game to a much older crowd advertising it on ABC, Freeform and ESPN, because they know a bunch of those players were kids when they picked up KH1 or KH2. And thats not counting in their own channels and D23 articles.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Kingdom Hearts is truly the last hope for Disney games.
smh
Well Lego Star Wars VII is fun. And Battlefront II is in production. And I love that Insomniac are tackling Spiderman. Tron Run/r is fun game as well.

Or you could download the many many Disney mobile games coming out every other week.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
So, sorry if this discussion's already over and done with (I was just rereading all the posts in the thread, and it got me inspired to talk about this), but I'd just like to say that KH got me into Disney (and Square Enix) and allowed Disney to make more money through me that way.

Well, kind of. At first I got KH because apparently it was like "you were controlling the Disney movies" (that my nine-year-old self was all about), but a few hours into the game I was completely sold on the KH original story more than anything else.

Then I went through my "anti-Disney, rebellious teenager" phase, and liked KHII because it was "darker and less Disney-ified" (I laugh at that statement of mine now, for many a reason). And when Days came along, and had very little Disney in it at all, I was fine with it, tbh.

But then the amazing BbS happened (where Square started to make the worlds more relevant again), the Disney revival happened, and I started talking to you guys and realized just how much KH NEEDS Disney, and that's what makes it so charming and what it is.

So in short, I love Disney again, but honestly it's probably mainly because of KH. If it weren't for KH, I probably wouldn't be watching movies as they come out lately, so that I can understand them if/when they're put in KH.

So chew on that, please, Disney, and consider throwing us a bone every once in a while, if you will.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'm more concerned if Disney is looking forward to making Marvel vs Capcom 4 due to the change in their whole video game production.

Disney said they are moving forward with more licensed titles. Marvel vs Capcom 4 would easily fall into that realm, especially since it'd be on Capcom to develop it.

Okay, maybe they could have at least pushed its cancellation after the Moana set was released.

Disney doesn't know how to run their company outside of the film department. I agree, though. They had so many plans. They should have just pushed on to the end of the year and waited to see how the holidays pushed Infinity figures.

They made the hugest mistake in overproducing unwanted characters and underproducing the wanted ones. They should have looked at how Nintendo did their Amiibos and made all of them limited runs initially and reprinted the most popular.

So, sorry if this discussion's already over and done with (I was just rereading all the posts in the thread, and it got me inspired to talk about this), but I'd just like to say that KH got me into Disney (and Square Enix) and allowed Disney to make more money through me that way.

Well, kind of. At first I got KH because apparently it was like "you were controlling the Disney movies" (that my nine-year-old self was all about), but a few hours into the game I was completely sold on the KH original story more than anything else.

Then I went through my "anti-Disney, rebellious teenager" phase, and liked KHII because it was "darker and less Disney-ified" (I laugh at that statement of mine now, for many a reason). And when Days came along, and had very little Disney in it at all, I was fine with it, tbh.

But then the amazing BbS happened (where Square started to make the worlds more relevant again), the Disney revival happened, and I started talking to you guys and realized just how much KH NEEDS Disney, and that's what makes it so charming and what it is.

So in short, I love Disney again, but honestly it's probably mainly because of KH. If it weren't for KH, I probably wouldn't be watching movies as they come out lately, so that I can understand them if/when they're put in KH.

So chew on that, please, Disney, and consider throwing us a bone every once in a while, if you will.

;~; Well said.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I do miss the games based on Movies though. Before my PS3 turned to complete shit I was playing Brave and it was actually sort of good. And Cars 2 was a decent racing game (but a shit platinum so much to go through for it). Toy Story 3 had a crap story mode but the free roaming world where you were Sheriff and had to complete quests and all that stuff was fun as well. I remember being a child and the Finding Nemo game being so difficult but wondrous at the same time.

Mobile games are the future, I get it. They're cheap to make and bring in money. But I do miss proper games based on movies and while I'm sad Disney Infinity ended (and double sad now all these images are coming out like GOOFY COME ON WE ALMOST HAD THE TRIO) I hope this licensing game dev out means a return to form. Playing through Lego Star Wars VII made me think a proper game based on the movie would have been so good. Star Wars III on PS2 was legit and they should have continued that.

While I'm ranting and have no idea what my point is and that what I'm saying is no longer coherent, if a game has established game play that's actually GOOD and FUN don't change it for the sequels. Harry Potter 1-3 were fantastic story driven games with lots to do. 4 was one of the worst, but they recovered with the open world 5-6 games. But man did they drop the ball with the two 7 games being third person shooters /end incoherent rant

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Eh. Movie tie-in games were usually pretty questionable due to them having forced deadlines and short dev cycles to coincide with movie releases imo. Now, if Disney were to license out series and not do so purely based on what movie was in the pipe-line, the returning games could have the chance to be something special and unique.

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
I've been torn on movie tie-ins. Some are good, and I'll even play some that are decent, but there are plenty that have turned out straight awful. It totally depends, but if Disney were to license it out, much like how Star Wars is being done with Lego (and Spider-Man, even though it isn't related to the movie), I would be more than happy to play a few of them. The original Lego Star Wars trilogies were good, as are most Lego games, and Cars 2 was nice as well. My only experience with games such as Brave and Ratatouille is what was being demoed at Epcot in Disney World, but they were certainly not garbage.

Speaking of which, in Hollywood Studios, they have a spot where you can play around with Disney Infinity, which I was already considering buying, as I figured it would be simple enough for my girlfriend to get into and play when she comes over, as she doesn't regularly play games, but is interested in them. What I played was actually pretty sweet, and I'm sad to see it go now.

Back