• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

American Politics Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Re: 2016 Presidential Candidates

^ That dosen`t look too good.

So it is that Betsy DeVos will be the new secretary of education. A few weeks back I watched the hearing and if I am honest I was pretty shocked how little she knew, and how overall unqualified she was to take the job.

Franken and Warren made some interesting points on why she simply is not the right person for this job:

[video=youtube;mRXFU56PSI0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRXFU56PSI0[/video]

[video=youtube;0BKcNPB1lNY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BKcNPB1lNY[/video]

..and then she gets the job...

Last edited:

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards

Looks like you don't need an education to be the secretary of education. ������

It really is some bullshit in regards to that. After sitting through a ton of education classes last year and going to low income schools and seeing how hard the teachers work to ensure their kids still learn, and Betsy DeVos is only going to make things harder in this regard due l her complete lack of understanding and experience in the field.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards

Yes, Betsy Devos has passed. Looking on the bright side--if you can call it that--the GOP is already talking about abolishing the Department of Education altogether, simultaneously cutting Devos. Well, that wouldn't be surprising, since that seems to be the plan with the Environmental Protection Agency.

Elizabeth Warren was also silenced by Mitch McConnell in the Senate the moment it was clear she was reading a letter sent to the Senate in the '80s from Coretta Scott King (wife of MLK, Jr.) about Jeff Sessions' long history of defending voter suppression laws and fighting discrimination laws (that protect African Americans, women, LGBT, etc.). And he will be our new Attorney General.

In other news, Republicans did away with a law to help keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill. The USDA under Trump also deleted animal welfare guidelines and records used to help identify and prevent animal abuse. But I guess if the Republicans don't care about humans, you can't call upon them to care about animals, lol.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards

Yes, Betsy Devos has passed. Looking on the bright side--if you can call it that--the GOP is already talking about abolishing the Department of Education altogether, simultaneously cutting Devos. Well, that wouldn't be surprising, since that seems to be the plan with the Environmental Protection Agency.

Elizabeth Warren was also silenced by Mitch McConnell in the Senate the moment it was clear she was reading a letter sent to the Senate in the '80s from Coretta Scott King (wife of MLK, Jr.) about Jeff Sessions' long history of defending voter suppression laws and fighting discrimination laws (that protect African Americans, women, LGBT, etc.). And he will be our new Attorney General.

In other news, Republicans did away with a law to help keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill. The USDA under Trump also deleted animal welfare guidelines and records used to help identify and prevent animal abuse. But I guess if the Republicans don't care about humans, you can't call upon them to care about animals, lol.

That is....just..... I am having hard time to even process all of that. It feels like they are really turning back the clock when it comes to progress.

Awards

Well, I was gone for two years and I come back to my thread being super long. That's nice. I like that people are actually caring about this absolute chaos called the Trump Administration. Here's a post I wrote on Facebook:

"Yesterday, several news media outlets were barred from a White House press briefing, including New York Times and CNN. Let that sink in for a second. Just two months ago, Press Secretary Sean Spicer said that media would not be banned from the WH because "that is what makes a democracy a democracy versus a dictatorship."These media outlets were banned because they frequently criticize the president, or report things he's doing that are not positive. They have also started stating that Trump is "lying," no longer using words or excuses that beat around the bush. Lying, and frequently.
We found out that Russia hacked our system in order to get Trump into the White House during the election process. The election should have been halted immediately until further investigation into the matter was made.
Trump lost the popular vote by 2,864,974. That's the largest in history by far. The second closest was George W. Bush, when he lost the popular vote by 543,816. Even though almost 3 million more Americans voted against Trump, he won anyway. Then, he said that 3 million votes for Hillary were made by illegal immigrants.
Multiple phone conversations that Trump had with Russia were not recorded.
Trump refused to release his tax returns, something which no president has done in decades.
One of the first things Trump did was gag major government departments from speaking with the media.
The government is currently leaking like crazy. The government, itself, is protesting against the administration. People have resigned from their positions.
Trump has fired people for disagreeing with him. He has threatened senators' jobs.
The White House reached out to the FBI to publicly dispute Russia findings, which the FBI refused to do (bravo).
Even Republicans are speaking out against him... even McCain!
Most of the world, despite Trump's Twitter claims to the contrary, is extremely worried about his administration.
The administration silenced a Democratic Senator from providing evidence and speaking in Congress (Elizabeth Warren).
Trump installed an Evangelical Executive Advisory Council, a breach on Separation of Church and State.
Trump has pretty much only made executive orders, orders which cannot really be overthrown until another president steps into office. Almost nothing goes through Congress anymore. He signs everything into law without pushing the paperwork through congressional approval first. Something as huge as banning 7 different countries from US entry was thrust upon us with a stroke of a pen and nothing more.
I could go on and on and on. There is a trend going on. We are seeing things that either have never happened before, or have but very rarely. We are seeing key elements of dictatorships: silencing contradiction and criticisms, continuous laws without democratic group approval, overreach of authority, secrecy in government, etc.
This is not about liberals being angry with a new conservative president. This administration is going entirely outside the bounds of what is normal, as well as what is constitutional. Every single person should be terrified."

Elysium

Awards

The scariest part of all this is that there likely won't be a fair investigation to shake the traitors out. The Republicans have all the power and they are all either complicit in the crime or want to sweep it under the rug. The FBI is run by someone who violated the law to ensure Trump was elected in the first place--and yesterday was revealed to be withholding evidence, ie not answering questions, from the Senate's investigation.

Really the only line of defense is the CIA and the media, both of whom Trump had already openly declared war on before he was even inaugurated. He's already cast out many of the people in government who generally stay regardless of who's president (ie, people who have been there through Bill Clinton, Bush, Obama, etc.) and who have no partisan allegiance. There is no trustworthy institution to stop Russia from destablizing the country via Trump or keep Trump from outright overthrowing our democracy (if you think other parts of the gov't wouldn't allow this to happen, look at the way the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security and ICE have acted the past two months). With the way Trump has went on and on about supposed voter fraud, I wouldn't be surprised if he did something similar to the current Hungarian dictator when he was first voted in and instituted new voting "guidelines/rules" that insured he and his party would never be voted out of power again. I also wouldn't be surprised if Russia were to coordinate a terrorist attack that appeared to have been committed by a radical Muslim and then Trump used it as an excuse to enact martial law.

Btw, one of the biggest stories recently was about Russia attempting, via Michael Flynn and Trump's attorney, to setup a plan for Trump to blackmail the current Ukrainian president out of power so a Russian sympathizer, Andrey Artemenko, can gain power and give Crimea to Russia. As soon as that came out, Artmenko in Ukraine was put on trial for treason. (Notice how before Trump became the nominee last year, the Republicans were pro-Ukraine, but they reversed their policies once Trump was in charge.) Also, a major bank in Germany found to have been laundering money from Russia was just fined around 500+ million; Trump has explicit ties to this bank--he just made the American owner a part of his cabinet. I believe it was the Energy Secretary?

In other news, France's current election is sounding eerily similar to ours... A hard-right extremist like Trump just usurped their conservative party unexpectedly, whose campaign is speculated as being funded by Russia and who has nothing but great things to say about Putin, like calling him "the upbearer of Christian heritage." Meanwhile, on the other side, a centrist who everybody assumes is going to win in a landslide has the Russian government mobilized against him, putting stories out into the ether left and right about him supposedly having had some gay love affair with another government official and a load of other nonsense, even going so far as to call him "a puppet of Hillary Clinton."

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards

The healthcare repeal went down. The reactions to this should be hilarious. But when you start seeing T_D talk about how they're glad that McCain has a brain tumour, you start to remember what a shitfest this has become.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
Seeing as how this thread is still being used, and has grown beyond the 2016 election, it'll just be a general American Politics thread.

Feel free to keep discussing U.S. politics here, just keep it civil like always.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards

Trump to reinstate US military ban on transgender people - CNNPolitics.com

Trump just reinstated the ban of transgenders in the military.

This is coming not only from the guy who said he'd be so much better at fighting for the LGBT community than Clinton, but also faked an injury to avoid having to do military service himself. Absolutely laughable. These trans men and women who risk their lives to serve and protect their country are braver souls than Trump ever could hope to be.

Honestly though, only sheep and bigots can and will defend Trump at this point. The sooner this corrupt buffoon leaves the White House the better.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
Pretty sure the cost of medical care for transgender people is virtually non-existant when compared to the US military's entire budget. Next to that, I've been unable to find evidence that transgender people would cause a real "disruption" (but, not being american and therefore somewhat removed from it all, I'll admit that I could be wrong). So in short: another Trump action where innocent people are being singled out for no good reason. Even worse: these people would be helping their country by volunteering.

Honestly though, only sheep and bigots can and will defend Trump at this point. The sooner this corrupt buffoon leaves the White House the better.

Which is funny, considering the people who voted for him were so keen on calling everyone else sheeple.

Elysium

Awards
This is coming not only from the guy who said he'd be so much better at fighting for the LGBT community than Clinton, but also faked an injury to avoid having to do military service himself. Absolutely laughable. These trans men and women who risk their lives to serve and protect their country are braver souls than Trump ever could hope to be.
Believe me, the majority of LGBT and their allies knew Hillary was the only choice. The only LGBT individuals who supported him are privileged traitors like Caitlyn Jenner or Dolce & Cabana who don’t believe in gay marriage or adoption for LGBT parents. Nobody who could spend the campaign spewing misogyny, racism, Islamophobia, etc. could honestly be believed when pretending they’re an ally of LGBT. A bit funny to me that a draft dodger like Trump would judge anyone else actively seeking to be a soldier though.

I’d just like to laugh at all the people before the election and on election night who were all, “Don’t exaggerate, that’s really not going to happen, lol.” Thanks again for the complacent out there who couldn’t be bothered. I guess it was easy to predict democracy would go out with a whimpering “meh” and not a bang. I wonder how they’ll feel once this lunatic has crashed the economy. I guess a vagina will still seem like it was just too hard a choice to make. Make Russia Great Again! :D

Harmonie

Crazy Woodwind Lady
Awards
I have a transgender FTM friend who is a Republican and has posted that he supports Trump (he hasn't said anything since this declaration, but I doubt it's weighing on him too much. >.>). I can't even begin to understand. I can't understand why people always vote for people who are so blatantly going to oppress them.

I understand that the Democrat party is far from perfect, Hilary included. However, the Republican party is just soooo far off the scales that they don't bring a legitimate opposition to the Democrat party. Their stated goals and actions are hateful and discriminatory. This party has absolutely no place at the table, much less to be in power. But apparently Americans never learn from history, ever.

In other news, the attempts to dismantle the ACA constantly failing are perhaps the funniest thing I've ever seen. We're like right here in the worst timeline where the Republicans control everything, and they still can't take down the ACA. It's incredible.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
As a Libertarian, I'm only partially okay with some of Trump's economic postures. But socially? I think he's either too much of a conservative, or the people close to him are convincing him to remain conservative, seeing as how Trump seems like a pretty liberal guy. But to be honest, a lot of "conservative" politicians are actually liberal in the social sense, but since their voters are bigots, they have to approve policy that appeals to their voters.

But honestly, with how ruined the Democrat party is right now, I'm honestly expecting a second term for Trump, and maybe even one for Pence, seeing as how the Vice-President has always aspired to cover the full seat of the White House (see: Bush Sr. and Al Gore).

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
I have a transgender FTM friend who is a Republican and has posted that he supports Trump (he hasn't said anything since this declaration, but I doubt it's weighing on him too much. >.>). I can't even begin to understand. I can't understand why people always vote for people who are so blatantly going to oppress them.

I understand that the Democrat party is far from perfect, Hilary included. However, the Republican party is just soooo far off the scales that they don't bring a legitimate opposition to the Democrat party. Their stated goals and actions are hateful and discriminatory. This party has absolutely no place at the table, much less to be in power. But apparently Americans never learn from history, ever.

In other news, the attempts to dismantle the ACA constantly failing are perhaps the funniest thing I've ever seen. We're like right here in the worst timeline where the Republicans control everything, and they still can't take down the ACA. It's incredible.
It's likely the trans ban will get taken down by the supreme court like Don't Ask Don't Tell and DOMA did. As for why Republicans are in power now, well it's because US Politics seems to be dominated by the two party system. Third party voters like myself constantly get told that we should vote Democrat or Republican because if not we're "throwing" our vote away.

2016 is my first election and I feel like someone is going to blame me for not voting for Hilary, but I don't feel like I should be forced to vote for someone that doesn't appeal to me, regardless if they share the same sex as me. As for why I never voted before, well I had too much going on and I didn't feel comfortable voting since I kept having people pressure me into like my friend who believes that if you don't vote then you have no voice or those guys in high school, who pretty much seemed to demand that I would vote for Obama.

Both parties seem to be the same.

Elysium

Awards
Both parties seem to be the same.
You're right. Hillary would've banned Muslims, banned trans soldiers and rescinded trans rights, withdrawn from the Paris Climate Accord and decided to pretend climate change doesn't exist unlike any other country on Earth besides Syria, cut all public school funding, gutted the State Department so that the U.S. has no soft power in the world (to benefit Russia), undergo a full onslaught against the free press and journalists, alienate all of the U.S.'s allies, intimidate and fire everyone in the government in order to obstruct justice, and embarrass the country on a global stage daily. You're right, that totally would've happened under Hillary.

Ballad of Caius said:
But honestly, with how ruined the Democrat party is right now, I'm honestly expecting a second term for Trump, and maybe even one for Pence, seeing as how the Vice-President has always aspired to cover the full seat of the White House (see: Bush Sr. and Al Gore).
I believe we're about to see history repeat itself with the Democrats. They're going to run someone extremist like Bernie (if not Bernie himself) and then lose massively just like when they went far left with McGovern after losing the previous election by a hair's length with a moderate to Nixon. I don't like Biden, but either he or Kamala Harris would probably be the best shots in 2020, imo.

Last edited:

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
You're right. Hillary would've banned Muslims, banned trans soldiers and rescinded trans rights, withdrawn from the Paris Climate Accord and decided to pretend climate change doesn't exist unlike any other country on Earth besides Syria, cut all public school funding, gutted the State Department so that the U.S. has no soft power in the world (to benefit Russia), undergo a full onslaught against the free press and journalists, alienate all of the U.S.'s allies, intimidate and fire everyone in the government in order to obstruct justice, and embarrass the country on a global stage daily. You're right, that totally would've happened under Hillary.

This.

I believe we're about to see history repeat itself with the Democrats. They're going to run someone extremist like Bernie (if not Bernie himself) and then lose massively just like when they went far left with McGovern after losing the previous election by a hair's length with a moderate to Nixon. I don't like Biden, but either he or Kamala Harris would probably be the best shots in 2020, imo.

I have to disagree with this. Sanders is neither extremist or "far left". The issue is that the US is far right as it is, with politicians like Clinton being the equivalent of moderate right in many other countries. Heck, I've even read statements from delusional Americans who think Merkel is leftist. LOL!

Also, establishment Democrats can't stand him because he actually advocates for real change. They're far too comfortable taking big donor money, while paying lip service to their voters. They're going to run some shill like Corey Booker in 2020.

Sanders/Warren is the ticket America needs, but perhaps doesn't deserve at this point.

Elysium

Awards
A country that would vote for someone like Trump is never going to put a socialist like Sanders in office, even if he could explain how he'd manage to do anything he promised (his major failure in 2016). I would've been all for Warren in 2024 if Hillary had won, but if a woman who is moderate and posed herself as a voice of sanity amid extremism on both sides (Hillary) couldn't get elected, I can already hear "hysterical" being repeated ad nauseum if Warren were to run.

I think Kamala is a moderate like Hillary, except younger, with less history/baggage, and, I'll be honest, black. And the fact that the African American community didn't come out in as much force as expected in the general election is one reason Hillary isn't president. For all the talk that Hillary "forgot" middle class whites (which is nonsense considering that's the reason she picked Tim Kaine as her VP over options like Warren and Julian Castro), the reason she was the 2016 nominee was because Bernie forgot that black people make up the base of the Democratic Party. If I had the choice, I prefer Booker to Biden. I like Al Franken, but I couldn't see him winning at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back