• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

A Love Interest for RIku

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
*disregards ongoing discussions about orientation, because let's be honest, we're making them a much bigger deal than they should be*

I don't really want to see Riku getting a canon love interest at all. Like Spocknart said, he's only just gotten over his own self-esteem issues, and he's already entirely devoted to his friends.

Besides, his social skills are worse than MINE. And I like the idea of that dork traveling around, leaving a bunch of people crushing on him while he himself is more or less oblivious to it.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Besides, his social skills are worse than MINE. And I like the idea of that dork traveling around, leaving a bunch of people crushing on him while he himself is more or less oblivious to it.

Yeah, he's gotta be the dork in something. Can't let Sora be the only idiot at all. :D

Griewer

Awards

Summed it up perfectly.

---
As for the part, where people are arguing about whether KH should or should not contain romance. I think everyone should only speak for him/herself.
I for one think that putting in small hints (which can of course be seen as tokens of simple friendship and love equally) every here and there but not doing anything too openly is for the best. That way we can all see what we actually want to see.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I for one think that putting in small hints (which can of course be seen as tokens of simple friendship and love equally) every here and there but not doing anything too openly is for the best. That way we can all see what we actually want to see.

Yeah. I was okay with, e.g., Sora thinking about dancing with Kairi in KH2. They're friends, he might have (had) a crush on her, but it's nothing too serious. To each his own.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
As for the part, where people are arguing about whether KH should or should not contain romance. I think everyone should only speak for him/herself.
And split the fandom over it. =w=

But yeah, in all seriousness, that sounds like the best compromise. It'd also make for some interesting discussion, wouldn't it? :D

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
But yeah, in all seriousness, that sounds like the best compromise. It'd also make for some interesting discussion, wouldn't it? :D

Yeah, well. Depends on who you're talking too about it.
But actually, I DO want to see youtubers bitch fight about what they see as "SUPER OBVIOUS PAIRING HINTS" or don't. Thanks for the image. I need that now.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Of course it is. But many things are. Actually, anything that depends on opinions can get controversial.

Griewer

Awards
And split the fandom over it. =w=

Nothing like another discussion (argument) about what Nomura meant by that one moment or that other glimpse. Who needs a Keyblade War if you can have a Fandom War! The war between the 13 Seekers of Romance and 7 Guardians of Friendship!
And it all started... with a papou fruit. <_<

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
I swear time travel didn't rustle our jimmies that much when compared to the r word. Though I must give credit, no one has resorted to threats or curses.

redcrown

Awards
This thread doesn't seem that heated. No one is foaming at the mouth rabid over shipping. For a thread about romance this is pretty civil.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Romance >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> time travel. Time travel sucks.

Oh, and I really kind of want a paopu fruit to be shared. But not in a romantic way.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Yeah, all I really want is for Sora, Riku, and Kairi to share a paopu.

TAV took the romantic connotations away from it, anyways.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

Y'know, that is exactly how the series is handling the whole issue since the first game.

Yet that apparently isn't enough for some as the repeated insistence for something more explicit and the debates arising over it show.

Not to mention that due to biased interpretation rules interactions and tokens between characters of the opposite sex tend to be nearly always painted as romantic in nature while same-sex interactions are nearly always only friendship.
(except with certain shipper-circles though, there they're reversed. ;P)

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
I'm curious, does anyone know how the paopu fruit is described/presented in Japanese dialogue? I'm imagining the same way, but to be sure.

Griewer

Awards
Y'know, that is exactly how the series is handling the whole issue since the first game.

Yet that apparently isn't enough for some as the repeated insistence for something more explicit and the debates arising over it show.

Not to mention that due to biased interpretation rules interactions and tokens between characters of the opposite sex tend to be nearly always painted as romantic in nature while same-sex interactions are nearly always only friendship.

Remember Phil's Rule Number 857:
- Everything you want to see is a hint and everything else is just there to misguide the weak minded.

:p

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
Riku should date a sugar momma who helps pays for his dumb haircuts.

Last edited:

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Riku already has a love interest.
latest

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
archiveofourown.org
I don't think you can really place that blame solely on the interpreter. Heteronormativity and the like not only make it more likely for readers to see that, but it also makes it vastly more likely that creators put in those kinds of things intentionally, especially when it comes to a Disney property (and it's not like S-E themselves have an exhaustive record of queer elements either). I'm all for people interpreting against heteronormativity and the like, but if we really claim that there isn't intentional romantic imagery with Kairi and Sora we are doing a serious disservice to our literary criticism skills. No one has to agree that it's good, or that it should be there, but to argue that it isn't is just a little much for me, and I say that as someone who is staunchly against such heteronormative developments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back