• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

A Love Interest for RIku

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

ALittleNerd

I think It'd be nice if Riku got a love interest in Kingdom Hearts 3. I mean if Riku's gonna be traveling around looking for this 'key to return hearts' or whatever, he's bound to run into some nice looking ladies right? He deserves some love, maybe a disney princess or something. Like that queen woman Elsa from Frozen, or the red haired Merida from Brave. We got a little bit of love cuteness in DDD when that one girl was all like 'I need a big strong man to protect me' or whatever. And his reaction was great. I wonder how Riku would react if he actually got a crush on someone. I think it'd be adorable.

Keyblade Meister

Kingdom hearts was never about romance and only hinted it in the beginning of kingdom hearts 1. The connection sora has for Kiari isn't necessarily love interest content but more of a strong bond and best friend connection due to them being tied together throughout the series. If romance does come to kh that would be awesome but it would of been done by now if that were the case.

Castaras

If Riku did get a girlfriend, She could be a strong, feisty character. But i doubt he will have a girlfriend by or in KH3. I don't think a Princess should be with him though, as i think Elsa would be too old for him, I see more of a FF character or a new original KH character.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Riku isn't the one tasked to find the Key to Return Hearts. That is Sora's task.

As for a love interest, why would he need one? The guy barely just got over his self-esteem issues and is 100% devoted to his friends. That should be the primary focus of his character now. We should be seeing him interact with people on a level of friendship because for almost two years the only friends he made were with Mickey and Naminé and he doesn't even remember Xion.

Also Riku is horrible when it comes to flirting. He didn't even realize Shiki was flirting (and she wasn't even serious about it since her focus was on Neku). I can see him making note of people's beauty or getting flustered over direct flirting with him, but Riku on the whole won't be seeking out a girlfriend (or boyfriend for that matter because I take offense at people defaulting to heteronormative expectations in a changing world). If anything, I could see it becoming a running gag that Riku is blind to people crushing on him and leaves a trail of people behind in every world he visits if he uses his natural charm.

We always bring this up in romance-related threads, but this series is built on the foundations of the inportance of friendship and KH3 is finally the time where we can see Sora, Riku, and Kairi ACTUALLY be friends to one another. The plot doesn't need to be bogged down with romantic interests when we need to see just how strong everybody's bonds to each other are since we've really only seen it in small amounts over the past 7 games (bar Sora and Riku who have had the most screen time for their relationship).

And I still don't understand why a character's happiness should be tied to a love interest or that one "deserves" love after their accomplishments? Riku most certainly deserves the best in life for everything he's struggled with, but it feels like it is making "love" a prize rather than just something he should already have from the people he cares about the most.

(Also I'm just very pro OT3. Who needs a girlfriend when you can be in a polyamorous relationship with the two most important people in your life already?)

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
A love interest for Riku?

As long as it doesn't override the plot I don't see why not. It's not like having a girlfriend would ruin his friendship with Sora and Kairi. Though if he did get a girlfriend, I think it should happen either at the end of KH3 or between KH3 and the next saga

Lonbilly

an old man plaguing the site like a phantom
Awards
Why would Riku need a love interest when Sora is already in the series?

Hallowseve

Riku doesn't need a love interest. He's just fine without one. If he did though... Xion... (can't believe I just went there)

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
keep romantic subplots out of kingdom hearts :)

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
What do you mean Riku and Micky aren't dating?

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
What do you mean Riku and Micky aren't dating?

that goddamned mouse has striken again, the innocence stolen from another youth. max is still in rehab, you know. he fell pretty hard after all the glitz and glam and what mickey made him do to reach the top.

SephirothZ

keep romantic subplots out of kingdom hearts :)

Why, considering most KH fans want more Sora and Kairi and for them to develop more?

It gets kind of boring when romance is discussed on this forum:
"The game is about friendship" - The game can be about more than one thing and the series as already strongly hinted at romance numerous times (especially if you count Disney characters)
"Sora and Riku are meant to be." - not gonna happen, Sora holding him up while walking is not a sign of romance people... bros do that for other bros. :cool:
"Romance ruins the game." - No it doesnt, especially if done correctly, which Nomura and SE have yet to fail in that regard in KH.

Just kind of wish these conversations would go a different route every now and then...

As for me, I would like a new character to appear because I dont think any character we know would be a good fit for Riku. That new character and Riku have some moments, but nothing too strong and it carries over into the next game.
-or-
Just leave all that for the next saga while KH3 shows us how Riku is pretty much in control and accepts his new identity.

Riku should definitely get a love interest eventually though, it could be entertaining.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
If TWEWY gang appears again, maybe Shiki could still work as a love interest despite Riku's initial obliviousness. We've had stories in media were a initial one sided crush becomes two sided such as Naruto

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Seeing how romance is one of the most controversial thing a game can do, I'd rather it stayed away from Kingdom Hearts. Some of us are still recuperating from time travel...

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
The last thing we need into the Destiny Trio dynamics is a new character out of nowhere. I just want to see them interact and finally be together after being separated again and again in every game. If romance between any of them happens, I guess I can live with it, but it's really not what the plot and character development for any of them needs right now. The three of them love each other, that's it, why should it be specified further. It's not like love is actually as black and white as romantic/platonic. What Riku needs is finally some more time with his best buddies, not some random trophy relationship.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
al's sexual bum

the truth is out there

let me reiterate; we. dont. need. romance. in. kingdom. hearts. not just at sephirothz, or anyone else specific? but to everybody. not every goddamn thing needs romance in Hollywood or gaming or anyplace else. its pointless and superfluous.

this is a whimsical action adventure title aimed at kids, forcing in some useless subplot (coughavengersageofultronandantmancough) can do nothing but detract from the plot. and btw, soriku is the OTP.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
all of these heterosexual suggestions are bumming me out

Did you really expect something else?
Lol, some people go out of their way to just introduce additional characters into the series as love interests in order to have more arguments against same-sex relationships.

If Riku would really need a love interest so badly, why not have him hook up with Tidus, Zack or Terra for example?
Or let Kairi dump Sora so he's free for Riku and then she gets together with Aqua or Selphie?
(I can already hear the "inappropriate" screams, rofl).

The last thing we need into the Destiny Trio dynamics is a new character out of nowhere. I just want to see them interact and finally be together after being separated again and again in every game. If romance between any of them happens, I guess I can live with it, but it's really not what the plot and character development for any of them needs right now. The three of them love each other, that's it, why should it be specified further. It's not like love is actually as black and white as romantic/platonic. What Riku needs is finally some more time with his best buddies, not some random trophy relationship.

Very good, I really like this assessment as it hits the spot completely.

This glorifying of a monogamous hetero-romance as the ultimative trophy and "proof" of the "true" from of love really gets somewhat old, especially when every fictional work in the sun seemingly needs to have it.

not every goddamn thing needs romance in Hollywood or gaming or anyplace else.

I'll sign that as I couldn't have said it better...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back