• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► UPDATED: Union X English Story Won't Be Up To Date When Kingdom Hearts III Launches

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Re: Kingdom Hearts Union X English Story Won't Be Up To Date When Kingdom Hearts III Launches

And I am not asking that the poster stop expressing her very precise demand for players to stop playing so the game can die
You literally said
Please stop encouraging people to quit.
Obviously anyone who is enjoying the game has no reason to follow my suggestion and I'm in no position to influence them to do so. I encourage people who have been on the fence or have yet to make up their mind to jump ship, like I did, because I believe it's in their best interests and, collectively, the fandom's best interests to do so. By all means, let Ux succeed or fail on the merits of its committed player base. But I do believe that if it isn't sustaining real interest but rather skating by on false promises and the presumption of commitment from KH fans who basically feel they have nowhere else to go, which is widely what I perceive to be happening, we shouldn't play along and lend it the veneer of legitimacy by continuing to give it support. In my opinion.

If I'm wrong, and there are enough people genuinely involved in the game to keep it alive, it's no loss to you. I do think Ux is a bane for the franchise at large and, yes, I'd like to see it go down in flames, but that's part of a larger conversation about the series. I've provided some insight into that in my previous posts; you're of course free to express any disagreements you may have. This is an open forum.

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
Re: Kingdom Hearts Union X English Story Won't Be Up To Date When Kingdom Hearts III Launches

I just wanted to say thanks to the whole team for being so outspoken about this ridiculous situation that has been going on for far too long now. At the very heart of the entire χ-subseries it was always this site that brought the latest information to the wider International audience, even the smallest tidbits and events, for over five years now. That's some astonishing dedication, especially on Sign's part who reworked the sections with this information time and time again, to make them even better.

I'm kind of fed up with the whole ordeal (or better: the game in its current form) after all this time but I'm truly grateful you all are all still contributing in such a meaningful manner. Thanks again.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards

I thought at some point we would've gone into this discussion.

What I'm going to say is that most of the complaints about Union are justified in my mind, simply because it's not like one can just walk away from it. It is tied to KH III and as far as we currently know there will be a whole substory or whatever it is tied to the Union Leaders, so one who wants to understand everything has to have a certain degree of involvement.
And, I think it's only healthy to remind of this, this is only the final stage of a roller coaster of a journey:

- First X wasn't supposed to be canon. Fans of the introduction rejoiced, so did those who did not care.
- But wait, now it's canon? What's this stuff about Dream Eaters and that's all a dream? Crap, better go and get the game.
- Oh wait nevermind, X Back Cover is coming out! A nice helping hand for those lost with all this X and Unchained issue.
- See, now they're even saying that with 2.8 we have everything we needed to go into KH III! Piece of cake!
- Oh, so that's what Master Xehanort's Keyblade is called! Nice, that's... uh... pretty much the only concrete thing I got out of this.
- Ven is in this era? What?
- Fret not, maybe it's a cameo, or something for later titles! Maybe Lauriam is Lauriam, and Marluxia is... aaaand now it is confirmed the Union Leaders are relevant to KH III. Hooray.

And then the reason why this thread is born: as current information goes, we won't get the last story parts before KH III. Unless things changes in the foreseeable future.

All of this without talking about some issues with the mechanics and such, because others have already answered about that part.
The game has quite the number of flaws, and sure enough many people me included can still play through it and achieve some degree of entertainment: but some are... forced, or the closest possible thing to it, to at least keep track of this whole mess even when they'd like to do literally anything else.
So yeah, it's not as easy as not playing it. We do lose something with Ux being the way it is (and it pains me to say that as someone who wanted this game to be better), especially when apparently staff members from KH III work on both titles.

Ux isn't something everyone can walk away from and it's not always a pleasant sight to be looked at. And... I don't disagree it has at least some degrees of harm. Nomura has proven (and even stated in recent interviews) that the sheer Dark Seeker saga had at times taken its toll on him, with handling characters or certain plot point: and not to be a butt, but it shows.
Adding to this an MMO still related to the main story and the ever so narrative-bloated KH III was not a smart move.

Now, if bringing down the entire things sounds like too much, I'd settle for a middle ground solution: un-canonize Ux. Or even better, canonize it, but go back to it being what X was, just a glimpse on the past and the War. Treat it like some sort of Expanded Universe.
In that case then yes, people who don't like it can just walk away and the rest can keep playing.

Seadrin

Awards

And then the reason why this thread is born: as current information goes, we won't get the last story parts before KH III. Unless things changes in the foreseeable future.

This is a great thought Darkos. I personally was not made too upset when word about the story delay hit the forum yesterday. However, I absolutely agree that the statement made by the Square Enix representative, which went back on what Nomura had said previously, isn’t fun to catch wind of. That being said, for those who are really waiting, locked and tuned into that piece of story coming to KHUX, as I am, I'll be waiting for the translated cutscenes to come from the region of Japan version, as I usually can’t wait very long anyway!

Even if the Japan cutscenes ended up somehow delayed until after January, I'd still enjoy the story and information that comes to KHUX post-January 25th / 29th and KHIII's release. It'd probably just make me want to play through KHIII again and again to see how those details come into play. (Similar to how BBS encouraged you to play / rewatch scenes from KHII about the Chamber of Waking / Repose and BBS, etc.)

But, that's absolutely, probably, just me. I totally feel the let down to have a company make a bold promise and not come through on time. I’m hoping and imagining by some extension that KHIII is just going to be that much better for it.

Cheers everyone!

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards

Now, if bringing down the entire things sounds like too much, I'd settle for a middle ground solution: un-canonize Ux. Or even better, canonize it, but go back to it being what X was, just a glimpse on the past and the War. Treat it like some sort of Expanded Universe.
In that case then yes, people who don't like it can just walk away and the rest can keep playing.

I remember before Unchained was even a thing, when the original Chi was reaching the end of its life and the final story segments came out of it. That, in my mind, was the peak of the Chi saga. Back then, the story of Chi was mysterious and exciting. It reminded me of the old days around when KH2 had just released and we were all theorizing about what the secret ending meant (even moreso once the 2FM secret ending released). That period of time was the absolute best part of any iteration of Chi, and my goodness I wish we could go back to that. I started out loving Chi, and I still do enjoy the stuff from the original PC version as well as Back Cover. But Unchained and Union Cross took it into "Okay, wtf is going on here? Where is this going? This is just getting weird and annoying now" territory.

I’m hoping and imagining by some extension that KHIII is just going to be that much better for it.

Not to burst your bubble, but KHUX and KH3's development have little to do with each other. KH3 won't be improved by extension of KHUX's story being delayed because there are two separate teams handling each game. It's not as if resources are being shared amongst both games and if KHUX is neglected that then equals more time for KH3. The only thing that this situation shows us is how incompetently Square is handling this game.

In my opinion, I think Nomura was always well-intentioned with Chi. I think it started out as a sort of non-canon reboot of the Kingdom Hearts Mobile service. And then as time went on, I think Nomura had sincere ideas with Chi and truly meant it to be an expansion of the universe that also served as a continuous daily time killer on the side. But once his main focus shifted guns-blazing to KH3, I think the suits over at Square took control of the Chi ship and sailed it right towards the sunny shores of Let's Milk These Dorks For All They're Worth.

And I don't just mean SENA, I mean corporate as a whole. That's why the original Chi ended its PC service and was turned into a mobile game. Square saw the dollar signs in making it a mobile phone game, they marketed it as a crucial addition to the story, fans who were enlivened by the KH3 hype downloaded it quickly, and then the promise of crucial story content was used to get players to stay.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards

I really enjoyed the days when X wasn't canon, or rather, it was a completely contained experience and story within itself. I didn't play the browser game myself, but it looked really fun and didn't seem like it was out to get your cash. (I wonder why they moved away from the browser version).

I remember everyone was cheering for their keykids death with tears in their eyes (not really, but we all knew the outcome of this 'cute' game from the getgo) and it was SO cool to see ... everyone die I guess. Ha.

It's really regretful that they made it canon. Or rather, it's really regretful that they've made Chi so complicated. Why couldn't it just be a story about all these people fighting for the xblade (which hasn't even been mentioned yet?!). Even with a simple story like that, having people like Ven and Marly as people from the past isn't too ridiculous. You could stretch some context and pretend that's the reason why Xehanort was so interested in Ven in the first place. Marly... is a bit of a stretch though I admit.

Seadrin

Awards

Actually, the scenario part of Union X, aside from myself, was partially written by the staff of KINGDOM HEARTS III and I am sorry that couldn't update it quicker, but the wait is finally over.
I think that after this, the heart of the story will be evident.

You are absolutely right, Nazo, I'm sure it really isn't taking up too much development time. But I do have to mention the above, stated by Nomura alongside the 3.0.0 update.

Either way, I'm probably just in a bubble, as you said. :wink:

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards

You are absolutely right, Nazo, I'm sure it really isn't taking up too much development time. But I do have to mention the above, stated by Nomura alongside the 3.0.0 update.

Either way, I'm probably just in a bubble, as you said. :wink:

Oh sure, that's all true. Absolutely. But, a handful of writers working on some story elements for a mobile game is hardly enough to make the case that any development removed from KHUX = better development on KH3's end. And sorry if you got the impression I was accusing you of being in a bubble. That's not what I meant at all. I just said that as a figure of speech, and I meant it more as "I don't mean to kill your hopes/dreams" not that you were being willfully ignorant. My bad :)

Seadrin

Awards

You are absolutely correct. None taken brotha.

It's few and far between to see a fan on the forums whose been around since the mid 2000s, cheers! Stay awesome :)

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards

I think strategically sinking it is the best solution because, as it stands, Ux is setting a new precedent for the series. Keep in mind that all indications are that this is the game that everything post-KH3 will be launched from: consider that if things are this bad now, how bad are they going to be when Ux is the actual originator of major plot content for the franchise. It's basically going to define the future of KH, and for the past couple of years SE has been pushing and pushing to see just how far the global fandom will go and just how much it will take. Even if Ux itself doesn't go on forever (it probably won't), players who stick with it when they're actively unhappy and feel the game isn't doing anything for them, or isn't doing enough for them, are giving SE the leverage to continue making and running games like it, and implementing similar features, with the knowledge that they'll be able to get fans on board using brand name alone.

So to me, it's more about setting clear boundaries with Disney and SE as to what kinds of risks they can afford to run with the series. Of course it's their IP and they can do whatever they want with it, but they aren't entitled to popular support and if their endgame is to hold the story hostage behind a phone app that doesn't deliver on the promise of the series, I think the audience is accountable for drawing a hard line and making that hard choice to give it up and send a message.

In other words, I don't negotiate with corporations. :p

And I don't just mean SENA, I mean corporate as a whole. That's why the original Chi ended its PC service and was turned into a mobile game. Square saw the dollar signs in making it a mobile phone game, they marketed it as a crucial addition to the story, fans who were enlivened by the KH3 hype downloaded it quickly, and then the promise of crucial story content was used to get players to stay.
With this in mind, let's take a minute to recognize that the stated justification for developing Ux at the time was to make the story of browser X accessible to the international audience. Then it took forever to localize, which was the first indication that there was a disconnect between what Nomura et al. had advocated and what was actually taking place. Cut to two (and a half) years later, and the new narrative is that the story shouldn't really be of concern to global audiences even as Nomura is emerging with even stronger indications that the story of Unchained is more significant than ever: I don't know that there has ever been a through line from Nomura's stated intentions to SE's output with reference to this title.

That's not to say I believe that Nomura is naive to all this, I'd disagree with you there. As director of the series, he signs off on all this nonsense, and the buck stops with him. And even if he isn't micromanaging the Ux team, by now he must be aware of the regular mistreatment of Western players, the notable discrepancies between the Japanese and global versions, and of course is directly involved in pushing out new story content using this structure in spite of the problems it presents for those of us on the receiving end-- on the contrary, I think he views Ux as his little pet project and he is willing to spite the fanbase in order to drive it towards success, which is why he made it canon in the first place. He knew he wasn't going to get enough people on board with a true spinoff title, especially one that operates under the slot machine style, profit-driven chaos of gacha gaming, with which a lot of non-Japanese mobile gamers have little familiarity and are probably averse to on principle. If it wasn't a KH game, how many of us would be actively seeking this kind of thing out? I could always be wrong, but again, I operate under the suspicion that a lot, like a lot a lot, of people don't stick with Ux because it's what they've always wanted out of a KH game: they stick with it because it's a KH game. And Square is just going to continue manipulating that tendency fans have to forgive their favorite franchise as long as it has the leverage to do so.

Leopardess

Legendary Member
Awards

Too much overthinking. Play it if you still enjoy, leave if you don't.

That's all, really.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards

Well, I don’t think they know what “shortly” means...

Seadrin

Awards

Well, I don’t think they know what “shortly” means...

My thoughts exactly! Hope we hear some new soon.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Re: UPDATED: Union X English Story Won't Be Up To Date When Kingdom Hearts III Launches

The statement is up in the OP. Seems like they just said we won’t be confused on the story because we can just look at the Japanese version of the game.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

“Kim’s quote was referencing that currently, the rate of story is going to continue at the same pace, and there is a plan for how things are rolling out. She had meant by the time KINGDOM HEARTS III releases, there won’t be a reason for the global players to not understand what’s happening in KINGDOM HEARTS III due to the Japanese version being slightly ahead.”

I'm sorry but this is a horrible statement.

This is exactly what everyone said she said, and she's basically saying to just pay attention to the Japanese version.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards

That's all, really.

I wouldn't exactly call a well-reasoned description of specific flaws in the game's structure and management backed up by personal experience as a paying player "overthinking". But I suppose, in principle, you are correct. That doesn't mean the mishandlings of the game should be dismissed and waved aside simply because you're having fun though. Despite everything I've said, I actually greatly enjoy KHUX and have a lot of fond memories from playing it. The fact that I love this franchise and want it to be its best is the precise reason why I'm saying the things that I am about KHUX.

I'm sorry but this is a horrible statement.

This is exactly what everyone said she said, and she's basically saying to just pay attention to the Japanese version.

Not to mention, that part of her statement wasn't even what bothered me. It was her comment about KH3 and KHUX not really overlapping much at all, and we won't be missing much. That's a HUGE issue because it essentially means that KHUX's canon placement in the story was overhyped to the point of nearly being a blatant lie. Sure, the "origin of the series" stuff is there but KHUX was always said to be connected to KH3 in the sense that playing KHUX will enhance your experience/knowledge going into KH3. If we're "not missing much" then that promise of KHUX's importance was empty and that is NOT okay.

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Re: UPDATED: Union X English Story Won't Be Up To Date When Kingdom Hearts III Launches

The statement says absolutely nothing but the same thing, but phrased differently.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards

I really enjoyed the days when X wasn't canon, or rather, it was a completely contained experience and story within itself. I didn't play the browser game myself, but it looked really fun and didn't seem like it was out to get your cash. (I wonder why they moved away from the browser version).

I remember everyone was cheering for their keykids death with tears in their eyes (not really, but we all knew the outcome of this 'cute' game from the getgo) and it was SO cool to see ... everyone die I guess. Ha.

It's really regretful that they made it canon. Or rather, it's really regretful that they've made Chi so complicated. Why couldn't it just be a story about all these people fighting for the xblade (which hasn't even been mentioned yet?!). Even with a simple story like that, having people like Ven and Marly as people from the past isn't too ridiculous. You could stretch some context and pretend that's the reason why Xehanort was so interested in Ven in the first place. Marly... is a bit of a stretch though I admit.

Even if Union X hypothetically never became canon to the wider Kingdom Hearts narrative, we still would have love to be caught up with Japan with story quests.

This is a pathetic business decision by Square Enix USA. I am so glad I uninstalled this game months ago, this company is bound to change their attitude when people uninstall in droves!

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com

From the way you guys phrased you received a statement from SE, I assumed it'd be substantial. This is just sad.

That's all, really.

That's not how anything gets resolved, and it's not that black and white. It's okay if you want to indulge in a game like this. No one is reprimanding you for liking it, so why reprimand those who don't? Parroting "It's a free game," like SE's own corporate marketing division is turning a blind eye to the hidden infrastructure designed to support these investments. I have no problem paying for content, but the avarice-to-service ratio is wildly out of proportion. As we can see in these paper-thin statements, the quality of treatment this game is receiving is just meh right now.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

From the way you guys phrased you received a statement from SE, I assumed it'd be substantial. This is just sad.

We were hoping it'd be too. But alas :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back