• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► UPDATED: Union X English Story Won't Be Up To Date When Kingdom Hearts III Launches

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
Re: UPDATED: Union X English Story Won't Be Up To Date When Kingdom Hearts III Launches

Yeah this statement really accomplished nothing lol.

I guess I am torn on the subject as a whole...I have felt jaded with the game recently till they gave out those gift jewels and I just sort of started pretending PvP didnt even exist lol. I realize they are treating us mediocrely, even now that Japan has some promise of sort of leaving the slump, cuz quite frankly this past year wasn't JUST SENA it was the entire game that was the issue, we are gonna be stuck in for the rest of the year now? It is upsetting, maybe I will delete the game over it? I guess maybe I should if I disagree with this sort of business model, which I do.

I guess, I haven't even really thought about these practices effecting the series proper, as I feel a lot of Japanese games have cash grab mobile spin-offs right now, and it doesn't necessarily effect anything else. I do miss when this game was mostly self-contained as well. I really did enjoy original X, and Unchained X as well.

Leaferian

Awards
Re: UPDATED: Union X English Story Won't Be Up To Date When Kingdom Hearts III Launches

I would certainly appreciate if we could somehow check, but I think this is just poorly worded you guys.

"She had meant by the time KINGDOM HEARTS III releases, there won’t be a reason for the global players to not understand what’s happening in KINGDOM HEARTS III due to the Japanese version being slightly ahead.”

To me, this sounds like they're saying "just because JP is still ahead doesn't mean the important-to-KH3 parts won't be out on Global by then".

Now it could be a typo, but there is a CRITICAL comma lack in this sentence. If it read "KINGDOM HEARTS III, due to the Japanese version being slightly ahead.” it would mean what you guys are taking away from it. But the way it IS written without the comma should grammatically mean "You won't miss out just because they're still ahead of you". Like I said, it could easily be a typo and it certainly wasn't a clarifying statement. If Square Enix reached out to you to make this statement in the first place, perhaps you coule directly ask them?

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards

To me, this sounds like they're saying "just because JP is still ahead doesn't mean the important-to-KH3 parts won't be out on Global by then".
Either way, they're missing the point, which is that there's zero justification for keeping global behind Japan on story content when everything else (read: money-making stuff) has been fast-tracked to catch it up, which is what I understand has happened over the drought period based on statements I've read. Square is toying with the fans. There's no good will to be found here, but it's fine, I'll just set my watch for three to four weeks and sit back and wait for the next round of drama to set in. The only real question is where can they go from here.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards

I would certainly appreciate if we could somehow check, but I think this is just poorly worded you guys.

Now it could be a typo, but there is a CRITICAL comma lack in this sentence. If it read "KINGDOM HEARTS III, due to the Japanese version being slightly ahead.” it would mean what you guys are taking away from it. But the way it IS written without the comma should grammatically mean "You won't miss out just because they're still ahead of you". Like I said, it could easily be a typo and it certainly wasn't a clarifying statement. If Square Enix reached out to you to make this statement in the first place, perhaps you coule directly ask them?

The optimistic side of me wants to believe you’re right.

However, given their track record, it seems this statement was left vague in order for it to be noncommital. They can spin it either way depending on how they decide to proceed.

Leaferian

Awards

The optimistic side of me wants to believe you’re right.

However, given their track record, it seems this statement was left vague in order for it to be noncommital. They can spin it either way depending on how they decide to proceed.
And that's absolutely a fair way to look at it! The person could also just as easily not be familiar with grammar rules for American Standard English, and they could have meant it the exact shitty way it came across to everyone else. I just wanted to point out that it could also mean something different, especially since they say they have a plan for rolling the stuff out whereas from what I've seen the lady on the stream basically said "I have no idea if it will change from how it comes out right now".

However we read it though, I am strongly of the opinion that SE PR needs to hire people that actually know how to do that job. This isn't the first title where there was mass confusion because of poorly worded official statements, and with their track record I'm sure that tradition will continue till the end of time.

Seadrin

Awards

With that clarification, (or confirmation of what we already knew) I’m okay with moving on from this and getting excited for TGS. Cheers everyone!

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards

With that clarification, (or confirmation of what we already knew) I’m okay with moving on from this and getting excited for TGS. Cheers everyone!

Yeah, thank god we have TGS coming up soon to make us forget and/or not care about all this nonsense.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
Re: Kingdom Hearts Union X English Story Won't Be Up To Date When Kingdom Hearts III Launches

Perhaps I'm a bit too cynical but I expect this statement to be weasel words top to bottom, saying a lot of words but meaning very little.
I don't know if I should be smug or sad for calling this 100%.

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards

*officially puts a rose and a dandelion on the grave of KHUX's lost potential and respect for its players* Good-bye...

Thanks for the update, it's not the update I hoped for (still hoped there would be some kind of change or idk), but you're doing an amazing job at keeping us informed, as always.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Re: Kingdom Hearts Union X English Story Won't Be Up To Date When Kingdom Hearts III Launches

Bah.
Square is rapidly losing points, points they acquired with the E3 trailers and that Union might've never had.
This is the worst outcome: even if the next story bit doesn't turn out to be anything interesting or relevant to KH III (which seems unlikely), this is really toying with the fanbase to the point of treating them like idiots.
In that statement I read that they believed (or acting like it) that we simply did not understand what Glacie meant, when in fact the rage and indignation came exactly from understanding what she was getting at.

For shame, Square. For shame.

I remember before Unchained was even a thing, when the original Chi was reaching the end of its life and the final story segments came out of it. That, in my mind, was the peak of the Chi saga. Back then, the story of Chi was mysterious and exciting. It reminded me of the old days around when KH2 had just released and we were all theorizing about what the secret ending meant (even moreso once the 2FM secret ending released). That period of time was the absolute best part of any iteration of Chi, and my goodness I wish we could go back to that. I started out loving Chi, and I still do enjoy the stuff from the original PC version as well as Back Cover. But Unchained and Union Cross took it into "Okay, wtf is going on here? Where is this going? This is just getting weird and annoying now" territory.

Same, X's finale was just the best, even comparing it to a lot of main titles stuff.
X was really strong and possibly the extent of what about the entire idea was good.

I think strategically sinking it is the best solution because, as it stands, Ux is setting a new precedent for the series. Keep in mind that all indications are that this is the game that everything post-KH3 will be launched from: consider that if things are this bad now, how bad are they going to be when Ux is the actual originator of major plot content for the franchise. It's basically going to define the future of KH, and for the past couple of years SE has been pushing and pushing to see just how far the global fandom will go and just how much it will take. Even if Ux itself doesn't go on forever (it probably won't), players who stick with it when they're actively unhappy and feel the game isn't doing anything for them, or isn't doing enough for them, are giving SE the leverage to continue making and running games like it, and implementing similar features, with the knowledge that they'll be able to get fans on board using brand name alone.

Of course, mine was a proposition merely in the realm of ideas: the simple fact that Union is already decided to be the base for the next saga invalidates any chance of taking a step back (despite the fact that I wouldn't mind Nomura and SE taking that back, for once I'd like them to do that)

Of course I'm also writing this after reading their "statement", so... hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

Awards

I remember when everyone was excited about Chi and its story. The story of the Keyblade War finally being revealed! Who wouldn't want to know that?! The only thing that sucked was that it was Japan exclusive, so #ChiToTheWest happened. Then UX came, and slowly over time the opinion began to change to what it is now after it switched to Union Cross.

A mismanaged mess that can't even keep its two language-based versions in sync with each other while constantly promising that the story will pick up only for the next update to be looking for Cinderella's missing GBA cartridge so you sit and wonder what the point of this is. And then this thread shows up and I'm back to my "UX doesn't matter and Nomura actually cares more about the actual video game that's on a console" way of thinking. Like, what's the point of Lauriam if in KH3 He's still calling himself Marluxia? What's the point of Ven being in UX if he doesn't even remember it?

The only thing from X that matters in KH3 is the box. That's it.

Good god, I didn't even rant about the right subject.

Xagzan

Awards

Just another strike against the ill-conceived idea to make a freaking mobile game actually canon. Ridiculous.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards

a9HAXMc.png

Trying to calm myself down with memes.

I'm livid over this. Like...I don't even know what to say. I wasn't expecting much from their statement, but to act like we didn't understand what Glacie said, is ridiculous. Did..did they seriously think that was the issue we had? Did they?!

Meow Wow

Awards

I expected a damage control statement at best. I didn't expect a rephrase about what was said that caused the outrage in the beginning. Although I can't say I'm angry over this. As it is SENA we're talking about here.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com

I remember when everyone was excited about Chi and its story.

Everyone loved the light. Then people began to fight over it.

A mismanaged mess that can't even keep its two language-based versions in sync with each other while constantly promising that the story will pick up only for the next update to be looking for Cinderella's missing GBA cartridge so you sit and wonder what the point of this is. And then this thread shows up and I'm back to my "UX doesn't matter and Nomura actually cares more about the actual video game that's on a console" way of thinking. Like, what's the point of Lauriam if in KH3 He's still calling himself Marluxia? What's the point of Ven being in UX if he doesn't even remember it?

The only thing from X that matters in KH3 is the box. That's it.

Good god, I didn't even rant about the right subject.

Thank you for the much needed laughs.

Also, I'm with Seadrin. Very much ready to replenish the well with the better, good ​news TGS brings us.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards

It is a shame that so much work is going into making the experience of KH3 absolutely amazing, with Nomura going so far as to delay it in Japan so everyone can experience it together, but this team is too greedy and/or lazy to translate some textbox cutscenes so all dedicated players can be on the same page when KH3 releases.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

I suppose once you think about it, there was really no way they could have recovered after Glacie's original reply. And since they had already decided not to speed up story updates to catch up, they could only keep stringing people along for so long.

But still, no statement would have been better than torpedoing the goodwill they've created.

Recon

Art of War
Awards

Ah, thanks for the update. Good to know the story will help us know where we are in KH3, but they say "the rate of the story is going to continue at the same pace" but new story content (AFAIK) hasn't been provided in over a year. Does this mean no new story content is coming out this year? Do players have to wait until January for new story content? as it seems new story content is only provided on a yearly basis? I guess what I'm trying to figure out is the rate of new story content.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

Ah, thanks for the update. Good to know the story will help us know where we are in KH3, but they say "the rate of the story is going to continue at the same pace" but new story content (AFAIK) hasn't been provided in over a year. Does this mean no new story content is coming out this year? Do players have to wait until January for new story content? as it seems new story content is only provided on a yearly basis? I guess what I'm trying to figure out is the rate of new story content.

Let me explain for those who are unfamiliar:

New story updates are added monthly in batches of 5 or 10 quests, or if we're lucky, 15. The ""the rate of the story is going to continue at the same pace" comment refers to Global getting quests through the same distribution schedule that JP got them. So if JP got 5 quests one month, then months later when Global reaches that point in the story, they will also receive the same 5 quests.

Global is 6 months behind JP in story quests. In a perfect world, they would get more quests than JP each month so they can catch up. Unfortunately, they will continue to remain 6 months behind.

The last main story update (with the Union leaders) was a year ago. Since then, story updates have all been Disney world filler. JP will be getting new main story content next month, which was co-written by KH3 staff and will introduce new characters. However, at that time, Global will still be in Enchanted Dominion.

Nial

Awards

Let me explain for those who are unfamiliar:

New story updates are added monthly in batches of 5 or 10 quests, or if we're lucky, 15. The ""the rate of the story is going to continue at the same pace" comment refers to Global getting quests through the same distribution schedule that JP got them. So if JP got 5 quests one month, then months later when Global reaches that point in the story, they will also receive the same 5 quests.

Global is 6 months behind JP in story quests. In a perfect world, they would get more quests than JP each month so they can catch up. Unfortunately, they will continue to remain 6 months behind.

The last main story update (with the Union leaders) was a year ago. Since then, story updates have all been Disney world filler. JP will be getting new main story content next month, which was co-written by KH3 staff and will introduce new characters. However, at that time, Global will still be in Enchanted Dominion.

And just to make everything perfectly clear as to why Glacie's quote has caused such an uproar: we have speculated for years now why the global version wasn't catching up with JP story, but was going sonic fast to catch up with everything else basically, from banners to powercreeps to other game modes. We figured they wanted to catch up with the banners to not let global players look ahed on the JP version and see that the next banner was way more worth it than the actual banner, resulting in less pulls and so less eventual money spent, but then why not catch up with the story at this point? And make the two version keep going at the same speed?

My personal thoughts, after thinking about it for a while, was that they just didn't want to do it, but then why wouldn't they want to? It made no sense! Turns out, they just couldn't care less, there was no real reason, no technical limitations, no things like having to discuss the translation back and forth (which would take time), no they just don't care. And this became especially obvious with the summer event and the translations being there after a day, with the files being ready and translated like a month before.

There's another Square Enix game, Dissidia Final Fantasy Opera Omnia, you know what the devs do? They take the good things from the JP version, and improve on them. Crazy right? And incredibly, the community of that game has nothing but praise and suggestion for them, and love the game, who would have thought.

I'm sorry for the wall of text but this response really annoyed me, more so than the original statement which was more disappointing than anything, but still.

The last thing I want to say is this: why are people that don't care at all about Kingdom Hearts managing a Kingdom Hearts game? And doing just enough to not get fired each update? Like I know it's a job and often you don't choose where you end up working but... if you have something to do, put a little effort in it, or just don't and go do something else that you like more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back