• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

A Playable Kairi in KH3

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Kagayaki

Awards
So, we keep on hearing (and hoping) that Kairi would finally be a playable character in the series. I mean, with so much power as a Princess of Heart, why shouldn't she? What kind of things would you like for her to do in KH3? Personally, I think she should have been playab;e all along. There are somw who don't think she should exist... ^^;

I would love it if she had a finish command called "Nutcracker!" Whenever she battled Xehanort! XD; j/k

WaveK89

Re: A Playable Kairi in KH3.

I really see her as a potential party member, but even that is a bit doubtful to me. Regardless, I really see her making a much more prominent role than ever in the game which will certainly be a plus.

I laughed at Nutcracker.

Fortissimo

Well Nomura said that he would take multiplayer under consideration. So maybe, if he even goes through with it, you could unlock a Kairi skin or something. I see it being like the Mirage Arena and just having an armor you can custom color.

As far as within the main game, I dont see why not. even if its just for one battle, or part of one. Or they could do split story stuff like they did with DDD! Kairi deserves a bigger role and now is the perfect time. If not any of that, i would hope she would at least fight alongside Sora and Riku at some point.

Eva

~ ♥~ Grand Summoner~ ♥~
Awards
Here is hoping. A sincere hope that all three get to party up at least some time.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
A bit too early for that imo, with everything happening in KH3 I don't think there'll be a proper place to have her as a playable character. MMMAAAYYYYBBEE she can be a party member but she's still very much a novice and canonically the weakest of the combatant protagonists as she's just beginning her training. If Kairi ever becomes a playable character I think it'd be much better handled in the next saga.

For KH3 I think this is a game where it'd work out best if she was somewhat of a background character brought in only when necessary. The are just too many other characters that need attention and plot points that need addressing to make Kairi playable in KH3, not unless it's a really short segment.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
she's still very much a novice and canonically the weakest of the combatant protagonists as she's just beginning her training.
On the other hand, Kairi has the benefit of being a Princess of Light, which is a source of immense power and a huge benefit when dealing with forces of darkness. I'm not sure this is the direction Nomura will choose to go with her character, but he has given himself an expedient way to write her in as a capable party member should he choose to: PoH + Keyblade has got to make for some sort of impressive combination. It's fundamental combat anime logic.

Ruran

Awards
On the other hand, Kairi has the benefit of being a Princess of Light, which is a source of immense power and a huge benefit when dealing with forces of darkness. I'm not sure this is the direction Nomura will choose to go with her character, but he has given himself an expedient way to write her in as a capable party member should he choose to: PoH + Keyblade has got to make for some sort of impressive combination. It's fundamental combat anime logic.

That's true, as a PoH that means that Kairi has approximately 1/7 of the power of KH, which is a lot. Only one problem with that...she doesn't seem to have any control over it whatsoever. We've seen her use her PoH powers very few times and it's only during high stress situations (e.g. when the Heartless dog piled her and Shadow!Sora in KH1) but aside from that it's a no go. Even when in a considerable amount of danger her powers don't activate most time and if it's possible for her to learn how to use them manually that goes back to her having to train to do it. Which in itself could make an interesting subplot, Kairi learning to dual use her PoH powers manually and wield a Keyblade but something like that is better saved for another time where it can be fleshed out better.

Roxie1563

Actress/Healer in Persona: Icebound
Awards
I so would like to play as Kairi; it would be amazing!! :D

I think maybe for the opening, we play as Kairi in the Realm of Sleep for her training to become more accustomed to her Key-blade and handling her own Princess of Heart powers. That would be something, huh?

Sdog

Awards
While I do think her character is a must for the series, playing as her hasn't always been a must for me. Hopefully she would have some blade wielding experience in III for it to be bearable playing as her. Cause when she first started slinging around towards the end of II, that was funny to watch.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
That's true, as a PoH that means that Kairi has approximately 1/7 of the power of KH, which is a lot. Only one problem with that...she doesn't seem to have any control over it whatsoever. We've seen her use her PoH powers very few times and it's only during high stress situations (e.g. when the Heartless dog piled her and Shadow!Sora in KH1) but aside from that it's a no go. Even when in a considerable amount of danger her powers don't activate most time and if it's possible for her to learn how to use them manually that goes back to her having to train to do it. Which in itself could make an interesting subplot, Kairi learning to dual use her PoH powers manually and wield a Keyblade but something like that is better saved for another time where it can be fleshed out better.
Eh, I don't know. I don't really subscribe to the opinion that it takes a massive amount of exposition or exposure to put Kairi in a principal character position. She's been an integral part of the games since the first one, and people seem ready and willing to accept Axel/Lea as a primary force on the side of Light despite the fact that he's been historically duplicitous at best and has also only just begun his training as a Keyblade wielder, and what has developed with that has occurred entirely outside of the main narrative. Meanwhile TAV have appeared in only one game as actual characters and have also been enlisted in the main cast without a great deal of concern. Kairi has had a significant presence in every important game of the series, so any argument that she hasn't earned a prominent role in KH3 comes across as fairly incomprehensible given what the fan base at large is willing to tolerate from Nomura.

Cause when she first started slinging around towards the end of II, that was funny to watch.
Not to beat a dead horse, but Riku looked just as ineffective and silly in that scene. It was really poorly scripted.

Last edited:

Lanydx reborn

The Superior Lanydx
Awards
As long as I get to see my fave red head POH get to kick butt. I will play as her and if she's a party member. I'll have her stick to Sora like super glue.

rac7d

The prince of Tides
Awards

She is training under a powerful wizard, who is particularly good, with unlocking the power within

Ruran

Awards
I so would like to play as Kairi; it would be amazing!! :D

I think maybe for the opening, we play as Kairi in the Realm of Sleep for her training to become more accustomed to her Key-blade and handling her own Princess of Heart powers. That would be something, huh?

'cept the opening would be the tutorial and it would defeat the purpose to play as anyone other than Sora or someone who has a very similar play style to his~

Eh, I don't know. I don't really subscribe to the opinion that it takes a massive amount of exposition or exposure to put Kairi in a principal character position. She's been an integral part of the games since the first one, and people seem ready and willing to accept Axel/Lea as a primary force on the side of Light despite the fact that he's been historically duplicitous at best and has also only just begun his training as a Keyblade wielder, and what has developed with that has occurred entirely outside of the main narrative. Meanwhile TAV have appeared in only one game as actual characters and have also been enlisted in the main cast without a great deal of concern. Kairi has had a significant presence in every important game of the series, so any argument that she hasn't earned a prominent role in KH3 comes across as fairly incomprehensible given what the fan base at large is willing to tolerate from Nomura.

You don't have to worry about spoiler tags, the ban against them has been lifted.

Kairi's already a principal character though, it's not a matter of going into nitty-gritty detail rather than it is finding a right time and place. As far as KH3 goes it's already jam packed with characters that need addressing and plot points that need to be wrapped up. It's not only Kairi, there's not a whole lot of wiggle room to focus indepthly on most of the characters. I trust that all of the major characters will get a chance at the spotlight and will have their parts to play, Kairi included, but balance will most likely be a delicate issue in this game. It's not a matter of Kairi "earning" a prominent role (which she already has), it's developing her properly as a character.

People were willing and ready to accept Lea as a Light? I recall many people being extremely butt-hurt over that. I'm sure there are still people butt-hurt over that.

She is training under a powerful wizard, who is particularly good, with unlocking the power within

Yes, yes she is, but I don't expect her to be a Keyblade slinging bad-ass in a day. Since it was introduced in 3D that magic can be used to speed up the Keyblade training process I half expect them to use it with Kairi but only to certain limits.

Last edited:

Gram

Banned
Awards
I'd like to see her become playable at least for a short segment of the story and especially her be a party member after some point. =P She and sora need the same screen time Riku and sora bromance gets.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
You don't have to worry about spoiler tags, the ban against them has been lifted.

Kairi's already a principal character though, it's not a matter of going into nitty-gritty detail rather than it is finding a right time and place. As far as KH3 goes it's already jam packed with characters that need addressing and plot points that need to be wrapped up. It's not only Kairi, there's not a whole lot of wiggle room to focus indepthly on most of the characters. I trust that all of the major characters will get a chance at the spotlight and will have their parts to play, Kairi included, but balance will most likely be a delicate issue in this game. It's not a matter of Kairi "earning" a prominent role (which she already has), it's developing her properly as a character.
Thanks for letting me know about the tags. I like to err on the side of caution.

I definitely agree balance is going to be a delicate matter in KH3; but I do feel that Kairi has been singled out as a character who, for whatever reason, always has her place in the series called into question. I realize much of this is likely due to fan-favoritism and her admittedly uneven writing in previous games, but I feel there's a limit to how much that can be allowed to inform the direction the games take. At some point people just have to accept that this saga has missed the boat on a lot of things; giving Kairi optimum character development was one of them. And frankly, I feel it would be a shame if she was reduced to playing second to Terra, Axel, or even Roxas or Xion (and they're two of my favorite characters). Kairi was there from the beginning, she's part of the original trio, and if there's any three original characters who should be used to bookend the Xehanort Saga and give this story closure, it should be her, Sora, and Riku. That's just decent, logical writing, as far as I'm concerned. You don't finish Harry Potter with a chapter about Luna Lovegood and Neville Longbottom, you know what I mean? (Even if they are awesome characters.)

People were willing and ready to accept Lea as a Light? I recall many people being extremely butt-hurt over that. I'm sure there are still people butt-hurt over that.
Yeah but as far as I remember that was more geared towards the sentiment that yet ANOTHER character is getting a Keyblade (one that has been overplayed, no matter how I might share in it). I didn't say people liked it or embraced it, just that I feel it's been accepted and it's not detracting in any major way from the anticipation for the finale. Again, this fan base tolerates a lot of trite writing on the part of Nomura, myself included; I think there are a variety of ways Kairi could be given foremost (along with Riku and Sora) attention without it coming off nearly as badly as prior KH writing (even some of HER writing) has. Besides, give Nomura a pen and paper and he can retcon anything. For all we know Kairi's been secretly Keyblade training via Princess of Heart powered time travel since KHII. :p

Yes, yes she is, but I don't expect her to be a Keyblade slinging bad-ass in a day. Since it was introduced in 3D that magic can be used to speed up the Keyblade training process I half expect them to use it with Kairi but only to certain limits.
Didn't Lea train in a time-suspended situation of some sort created specifically for him by Yen Sid? Or did I just totally make that up? (EDIT: I realized that might have sounded snide and rhetorical, but it was an honest question. I really don't know if that happened or not. DDD is a blur of weird stuff being explained too quickly in my memory.) At any rate, no one's suggesting she would become a first-class warrior overnight. But the fact remains that she has a veritable Keyblade Master training her (something neither Riku nor Sora had the benefit of), a near invulnerability to darkness that makes many of the enemy's known tactics essentially useless against her, and two friends who have been fighting with Keyblades for the better part of two years to give her some guidance. Is it really that much of a stretch to say she might be combat ready within a reasonable time frame to participate in the battles to come? I mean, more of a stretch than anything else that has ever happened in the story?

Joker'sHeartless

Awards
Well Nomura said that he would take multiplayer under consideration. So maybe, if he even goes through with it, you could unlock a Kairi skin or something. I see it being like the Mirage Arena and just having an armor you can custom color.

As far as within the main game, I dont see why not. even if its just for one battle, or part of one. Or they could do split story stuff like they did with DDD! Kairi deserves a bigger role and now is the perfect time. If not any of that, i would hope she would at least fight alongside Sora and Riku at some point.

If the multiplayer includes some kind of customization feature, Kairi would probably also be the base for the female character build.

Ruran

Awards
Thanks for letting me know about the tags. I like to err on the side of caution.

I definitely agree balance is going to be a delicate matter in KH3; but I do feel that Kairi has been singled out as a character who, for whatever reason, always has her place in the series called into question. I realize much of this is likely due to fan-favoritism and her admittedly uneven writing in previous games, but I feel there's a limit to how much that can be allowed to inform the direction the games take. At some point people just have to accept that this saga has missed the boat on a lot of things; giving Kairi optimum character development was one of them. And frankly, I feel it would be a shame if she was reduced to playing second to Terra, Axel, or even Roxas or Xion (and they're two of my favorite characters). Kairi was there from the beginning, she's part of the original trio, and if there's any three original characters who should be used to bookend the Xehanort Saga and give this story closure, it should be her, Sora, and Riku. That's just decent, logical writing, as far as I'm concerned. You don't finish Harry Potter with a chapter about Luna Lovegood and Neville Longbottom, you know what I mean? (Even if they are awesome characters.)

You're welcome. :)

Her place in the series is called into question because she's almost purely a plot device, far too passive for many to accept her as a main character proper. Kairi's a character in which things happen to and around but she's not truly proactive or reactive, rather, she's a cosmic tool the plot uses when it needs something convenient to happen then she's removed.

Yes and no on the part about how the ship has sailed on Kairi's character development. For better or for worse she's mostly a blank canvas. Kairi has a basic personality and a basic reason for needing to exist in the universe and that's sort of it. On the up side KH isn't ending with KH3, it only marks the end of the Xehanort Saga so there'll be more games and more opportunities. On the down side-it's been ten Goddamned years! A decade and seven games later and Kairi is still a character sheet. Even if she improves, which is possible, if it's enough to redeem her is another matter.

In the main numbered titles Kairi always gets attention anyway, KH1 ended with SRK separating, KH2 ended with SRK back together. The writers understand that SRK are supposed to be the signature trio so they always try to fit her end with Sora and Riku at the very end so there's a good chance KH3 will end the same way, how overt their relationship is with each other throughout the game is another matter though~

Yeah but as far as I remember that was more geared towards the sentiment that yet ANOTHER character is getting a Keyblade (one that has been overplayed, no matter how I might share in it). I didn't say people liked it or embraced it, just that I feel it's been accepted and it's not detracting in any major way from the anticipation for the finale. Again, this fan base tolerates a lot of trite writing on the part of Nomura, myself included; I think there are a variety of ways Kairi could be given foremost (along with Riku and Sora) attention without it coming off nearly as badly as prior KH writing (even some of HER writing) has. Besides, give Nomura a pen and paper and he can retcon anything.

I think it was a little of both, there were a few tired of Axel/Lea's presence period.

I think the writing for Kairi can improve too, I just don't think KH3 is the right place to start worrying about. It's literally the ass end.

For all we know Kairi's been secretly Keyblade training via Princess of Heart powered time travel since KHII. :p

*sobs*

Didn't Lea train in a time-suspended situation of some sort created specifically for him by Yen Sid? Or did I just totally make that up? (EDIT: I realized that might have sounded snide and rhetorical, but it was an honest question. I really don't know if that happened or not. DDD is a blur of weird stuff being explained too quickly in my memory.)

Pretty much though I think it was made by Merlin and the three good fairies at Yen Sid's request. I don't remember if Yen Sid had had any direct hand in it.

Don't worry I didn't find you snide or rhetorical! XD

At any rate, no one's suggesting she would become a first-class warrior overnight. But the fact remains that she has a veritable Keyblade Master training her (something neither Riku nor Sora had the benefit of), a near invulnerability to darkness that makes many of the enemy's known tactics essentially useless against her, and two friends who have been fighting with Keyblades for the better part of two years to give her some guidance. Is it really that much of a stretch to say she might be combat ready within a reasonable time frame to participate in the battles to come? I mean, more of a stretch than anything else that has ever happened in the story?

rac7d is probably suggesting it though. Sort of. He's asked how people would feel if KH3 would start off with Kairi already being a well trained wielder before.

The key words here are "reasonable time frame". While I fully acknowledge that out of SRK Kairi has the best opportunities and may even learn the skills she needs faster than her friends had, KH3 couldn't start more than a few days after 3D and it couldn't encompass more than a few weeks to a few months at most. While KH certainly loves its vidiya gaem logik it still has to be reasonable. TAV spent at least four years training under a bona fide master before Terra and Aqua could take the MoM and Ven was still considered too underskilled to take it. The only reason Lea could summon a Keyblade as fast as he did was because he "cheated" to get it as soon as possible but he was already a well seasoned combatant who doesn't strictly "need" a Keyblade and Sora and Riku were wielders for about a year before Yen Sid, reluctantly, allowed them to take the MoM and that's only because he felt it was absolutely necessary with the threat of Xehanort looming. Plus, Sora and Riku had about a decade of competative amature fighting to help. Unless KH3 takes the course of several years I think it would be a stretch.

Not to mention a priority is to keep Kairi as far away from Xehanort and his cohorts as possible BECAUSE she's a PoH. She's an ingredient in X-Blade stew. The invulnerability toward darkness only regards her heart btw. Her heart is unique but her body is %100 normal and susceptible to darkness damage.

Last edited:

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Her place in the series is called into question because she's almost purely a plot device, far too passive for many to accept her as a main character proper. Kairi's a character in which things happen to and around but she's not truly proactive or reactive, rather, she's a comic tool the plot uses when it needs something convenient to happen then she's removed.

Yes and no on the part about how the ship has sailed on Kairi's character development. For better or for worse she's mostly a blank canvas. Kairi has a basic personality and a basic reason for needing to exist in the universe and that's sort of it. On the up side KH isn't ending with KH3, it only marks the end of the Xehanort Saga so there'll be more games and more opportunities. On the down side-it's been ten Goddamned years! A decade and seven games later and Kairi is still a character sheet. Even if she improves, which is possible, if it's enough to redeem her is another matter.
I totally see where you're coming from with that, because it's largely true of her as a character; but up until now, that's simply been her role. She's Sora's (and, I guess, Riku's) "light" and her journey up until now has been circumscribed to theirs. I don't approve of her writing in the least (but, I reiterate, poor writing is not something that she alone is victim to across the games), and that's why I expect and hope for a shift in dynamics in the upcoming game. Whether KH3 is the end of the line or not, it can't be denied that is the end of an era: much of the audience for KH is cashing in or potentially cashing in with this installment, and Nomura and Square had better know that. Whether they can revitalize their fanbase with another saga remains to be seen, but this is essentially the last chance for the KH team to give every character the resolution they deserve without cheating the players, and if Kairi's fate is simply to be snuffed yet again, how is that any better than taking a chance and giving her a strong role to fill? Whatever writing her character has been subjected to in the past shouldn't preclude her involvement in the finale.

I think the writing for Kairi can improve too, I just don't think KH3 is the right place to start worrying about. It's literally the ass end.
I suppose I simply don't see how, barring some impossible scenario where Kairi becomes the main character and Sora dies and Riku has her babies, she could disturb the progress of the storyline as is. She would just be another Keyblade wielder. At this point that's hardly even an accomplishment. (Joking. Mostly joking.)

rac7d is probably suggesting it though. Sort of. He's asked how people would feel if KH3 would start off with Kairi already being a well trained wielder before.

The key words here are "reasonable time frame". While I fully acknowledge that out of SRK Kairi has the best opportunities and may even learn the skills she needs faster than her friends had, KH3 couldn't start more than a few days after 3D and it couldn't encompass more than a few weeks to a few months at most. While KH certainly loves its vidiya gaem logik it still has to be reasonable. TAV spent at least four years training under a bona fide master before Terra and Aqua could take the MoM and Ven was still considered too underskilled to take it. The only reason Lea could summon a Keyblade as fast as he did was because he "cheated" to get it as soon as possible but he was already a well seasoned combatant who doesn't strictly "need" a Keyblade and Sora and Riku were wielders for about a year before Yen Sid, reluctantly, allowed them to take the MoM and that's only because he felt it was absolutely necessary with the threat of Xehanort looming. Plus, Sora and Riku had about a decade of competative amature fighting to help. Unless KH3 takes the course of several years I think it would be a stretch.
Well, honestly, Sora slept a year between CoM and KH2. I don't imagine it would strain disbelief for Kairi to be training for some time and join up with the party in the middle of the game, maybe jumping in during some terrifically dramatic boss fight. It would be classic Square Enix, actually. Perhaps Kairi's training could even function as a kind of tutorial, similar to how we started out as Roxas in KHII. After all, they have to fit the boring instructional section of the game in somewhere, and Sora and Riku have little left to learn. Moreover, Kairi has already wielded a Keyblade, prior to Lea, and by all rights she should have been able to summon a Keyblade already given her encounter with Aqua in BBS. It's just that the writers hadn't thought of it yet. :p

Again, I'm not saying I know what's going to happen, I'm just saying the evidence is invariably in favor of her participation as Keyblade wielder in KH3. At this point it would make little sense for the game not to incorporate her in that capacity.

Not to mention a priority is to keep Kairi as far away from Xehanort and his cohorts as possible BECAUSE she's a PoH. She's an ingredient in X-Blade stew. The invulnerability toward darkness only regards her heart btw. Her heart is unique but her body is %100 normal and susceptible to darkness damage.
My problem with that is Kairi expressed explicity in KHII that she was no longer in the business of being left behind and held hostage/prisoner/whatever. (I know, I know, then the writing promptly expelled her from the final boss fight and left her on the Islands while Sora and Riku went off to do their thing, but the former was simply a matter of convenience and the latter was just piss poor characterization). My point is, to instruct her to remain far from the battlefield when everyone she cares about is risking their lives is not only classically pointless (so she's safer by herself far away from everyone else who can fight and help her in the event that someone tries to kidnap her again? yeah that worked really well the first two times), it removes agency from her character to take control over her own fate. Every other character, including her Nobody and pseudo-clone, has had the opportunity to determine their future for themselves: whether by fighting for it, or giving it up for the greater good. Kairi is the only one who is constantly subjected to the will of others, without fail and without having the chance to freaking punch a Saix. I'd like to see that trend smashed good and hard with KH3.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
I totally see where you're coming from with that, because it's largely true of her as a character; but up until now, that's simply been her role. She's Sora's (and, I guess, Riku's) "light" and her journey up until now has been circumscribed to theirs. I don't approve of her writing in the least (but, I reiterate, poor writing is not something that she alone is victim to across the games), and that's why I expect and hope for a shift in dynamics in the upcoming game. Whether KH3 is the end of the line or not, it can't be denied that is the end of an era: much of the audience for KH is cashing in or potentially cashing in with this installment, and Nomura and Square had better know that. Whether they can revitalize their fanbase with another saga remains to be seen, but this is essentially the last chance for the KH team to give every character the resolution they deserve without cheating the players, and if Kairi's fate is simply to be snuffed yet again, how is that any better than taking a chance and giving her a strong role to fill? Whatever writing her character has been subjected to in the past shouldn't preclude her involvement in the finale.

I suppose I simply don't see how, barring some impossible scenario where Kairi becomes the main character and Sora dies and Riku has her babies, she could disturb the progress of the storyline as is. She would just be another Keyblade wielder. At this point that's hardly even an accomplishment. (Joking. Mostly joking.)

Well, honestly, Sora slept a year between CoM and KH2. I don't imagine it would strain disbelief for Kairi to be training for some time and join up with the party in the middle of the game, maybe jumping in during some terrifically dramatic boss fight. It would be classic Square Enix, actually. Perhaps Kairi's training could even function as a kind of tutorial, similar to how we started out as Roxas in KHII. After all, they have to fit the boring instructional section of the game in somewhere, and Sora and Riku have little left to learn. Moreover, Kairi has already wielded a Keyblade, prior to Lea, and by all rights she should have been able to summon a Keyblade already given her encounter with Aqua in BBS. It's just that the writers hadn't thought of it yet. :p

Again, I'm not saying I know what's going to happen, I'm just saying the evidence is invariably in favor of her participation as Keyblade wielder in KH3. At this point it would make little sense for the game not to incorporate her in that capacity.

My problem with that is Kairi expressed explicity in KHII that she was no longer in the business of being left behind and held hostage/prisoner/whatever. (I know, I know, then the writing promptly expelled her from the final boss fight and left her on the Islands while Sora and Riku went off to do their thing, but the former was simply a matter of convenience and the latter was just piss poor characterization). My point is, to instruct her to remain far from the battlefield when everyone she cares about is risking their lives is not only classically pointless (so she's safer by herself far away from everyone else who can fight and help her in the event that someone tries to kidnap her again? yeah that worked really well the first two times), it removes agency from her character to take control over her own fate. Every other character, including her Nobody and pseudo-clone, has had the opportunity to determine their future for themselves: whether by fighting for it, or giving it up for the greater good. Kairi is the only one who is constantly subjected to the will of others, without fail and without having the chance to freaking punch a Saix. I'd like to see that trend smashed good and hard with KH3.

I think that Kairi is mainly supposed to be a damsel in distress. She hardly ever does anything effective and if they had made more characterization for her than she wouldn't have been such a dull character. In fact, she is actually my least favorite character. Namine on the other hand, even though she is a damsel in distress. She at least does something more than just restoring her friend's 'heart', running away and just punching Saix. Namine had the ability to rewrite people's memories and Xion at least had some fighting ability more so than Kairi did, because she was mainly Sora's copy.

Ruran

Awards

Like I said, all the major characters will have an important purpose it's just because by the nature of KH3 none of them will be examined in depth. Having a strong role doesn't necessarily mean having a strong character. As passive as she was Kairi had a very strong role in KH1 and she was in a "coma" most of the time.

Again, as I said it's not just her but involving most of the characters is tricky business. Plus, as much as it pains the fans, the writers aren't really obligated to give more priority to Kairi, especially when many of the other characters are more foreseeably important, at least from an immediate point of view. It's questionable if the writers even see a real "problem" with her character.

Fair enough, Sora did spend a good chunk of his time snoozing. BUT! I raise the "about a decade of competitive fighting with Riku" card again! :p
In regards to Kairi being a tutorial character imma quote something I said in another thread:

Ruran/Another Thread said:
I had explained it more thoroughly in another thread and was going to quote myself because it would be less work but I can't find it. *huff*

The gist of it though was that I'm assuming we'll be playing as Sora for most of KH3, in which case I doubt the tutorial character will be anyone else other than him or a character that plays very similarly to him because of plot reasons e.g. Xion or Roxas. The point of a tutorial in the case of KH is to get you used to how the character plays along with how the game mechanics work, in which case it defeats the purpose to play as one character with their own specific style for what maybe a few hours then switch to another that plays totally differently. It'd be jarring.

Aside from the game starting off with Xehanort being Xehanorty I think there's a good chance we'll pick up where Sora left off in 3D: in the RoS. Either that or we'll begin the tutorial in the Mysterious Tower where Sora is helping Kairi train so it gives an excuse as to why Sora's going over the basics since she's a beginner.

Ultimately I suppose it's a matter of different perspectives because if Kairi were to come from nowhere and join in on the fray to start handing out ass whoops I'd be right turned off. But. BUUUUT. Again, again, again, it depends on how much time had passed. I don't think KH3 could take that long in universe but hypothetically speaking, if it's only supposed to be a few weeks, or a few months at most, even with vidiya gaem logik I think that's break my suspension of disbelief.

I agree with that, it's not that I don't think that Kairi being a wielder won't be relevant, I just don't think that as a wielder she'll be as prominent throughout the game as some might think.

The way I took it Kairi being trained was more for backup purposes, in the case something bad does happen and she has no choice but to protect herself rather than her being trained prominently to face off against Xehanort and co. I reckon for the most part, or at least the intention is to have her stay in the Mysterious Tower under Yen Sid's watch. I also took it that in BbS's secret ending that Kairi learned, or at least had a better grasp of how there are certain times to act and certain times to wait. In the grander scheme of things, yes, it is better if Kairi tried to stay out of harms way because she's a PoH. Her existence helps keep the universe in balance as a substitute for KH. She is not only Sora and Riku's light, she is quite literally (one part that forms several) the universe's light. That's partly why the GoL exist, to protect the PoHs because it's vital that nothing bad happens to them. AS a PoH it's not recommended she do things that would put her in harms way, and for good reason. Her AS Kairi though? That's a different matter, the thing is Kairi isn't important to the plot so much because of who she is rather than because of what she is, and what she is is really important. But there isn't much leeway in KH3 to flesh out who she is. Having Kairi take control of her own fate? Improving as a fighter so she can defend her friends? Showing the capacity to do what's right by either fighting for it or sacrifice? These are things that would take time which she simply doesn't have.

Back