Come check out our E3 2014 Coverage!
Join the discussion on our forums!

A Kingdom Hearts Love Story: Picking Up the Pieces

Wow, it’s been a lot longer than I’d like to admit since the second part of this triad of editorials.  Just about two months.  It happens.  And now after that dramatic wait we get into the dramatic finale to the epic trilogy.  In the beginning, I talked about how I fell in love with the Kingdom Hearts series.  In the gripping sequel I explained how Kingdom Hearts and I ended our lovely affair.  And now, in this final piece, I’ll reveal the ultimate question: Can Kingdom Hearts and I rekindle our flames of passion and fall in love once more, or was the fallout too damaging to our young love?  FIND OUT NOW.

Look, I think I’ve made my issues clear to you and probably a divorce court as to why I split from Kingdom Hearts.  I threw myself at the mercy of the court because honestly, I just didn’t want to pay alimony.  Call me selfish, but I don’t think I’m in the wrong here.  I don’t think these issues are irreparable though.  In fact, I think with a little work (mostly from her side, not mine), we can get back into a very healthy relationship.  You know, for the kids, provided they’re content with only having one Christmas again.

First and foremost, Kingdom Hearts needs to stop being so complicated with me.  When we were still married, she'd come home from work and I wouldn't even know who she was anymore.  I had trouble just managing the different interactions between the thirteen unique organization members, let alone dealing with whatever Xion is supposed to be or that really poorly-designed X-Blade.  Or figuring out why Vanitas looks like Sora (don’t try to explain it, I’ve given up hope on that part of her).  Look, I want to go back to the early days when KH and I had just started dating.  Sora left Destiny Islands to go find his friends and he discovered some really cool Disney worlds along the way.  Light was slowly shed on the story and we were teased with something greater.  But now it’s just too much.  Baby, let’s go back to the days where we could converse, not now where you talk about every facet of your day and I’m lost to the details.

So hey, can you stop being pedantic and just get to the point already?  I really don’t care about Xion.  I really don’t.  To be honest, I don’t care about most of what you tell me from work.  I don’t care about the guy from the accounting department who left you a nasty note because you didn’t leave enough coffee for him.  You probably deserved that note anyway.  All I want is the crucial summary of your day.  You did a great job of giving me an introduction and a firm middle, now where’s the climactic ending?  Stop padding with useless details.  Stop meandering around trying to distract me from the main cause.  You know what I want.  I want you to put out for once.

I mean Kingdom Hearts III, of course.  Look, the secret ending to the second game’s Final Mix was really cool.  And hey, Birth by Sleep isn’t the worst thing you’ve invented to stir up our love again, but you need to cut the crap with the rest of it.  Days Coded3D?  Seriously, knock it off.  I want Kingdom Hearts III.  Sometimes when I go to the bar with my friends they make a point to ask me about how our relationship is going.  They ask about Kingdom Hearts III.  And you know what?  I don’t know what to tell them anymore.

Secondly, I wish you could bring out your fun side a little bit more.  I remember when KH and I first started dating she used to be all about the Disney characters and worlds.  There was some other stuff thrown in, but Disney used to be a giant web that held everything together, including our budding romance.  I know you’re running out of ways to keep things fresh: there are a finite amount of Disney movies.  But imagine all the possibilities you haven’t explored.  I’m looking at you, Pixar.  Don’t you hold out on me.

Basically, just surprise me sometimes.  I get tired of coming home to the same dinner or watching the same movies on HBO every week.  That doesn’t make for a very romantic relationship and you know it.  It’s exactly why I’ve been sleeping around with The Legend of Zelda.  Look, I know you have a nice formula all lined up.  You’re in a comfortable routine where you just go through each iteration with the same mindset as the last.  But it doesn’t have to be that way!  Remember when Chain of Memories came out and you introduced this new card-based mechanic?  That was cool.  It definitely needed some work, but it was progress via baby steps.  That’s all I’m asking for.  And adding something like parkour mechanics in your game doesn’t feel like a real change.  It feels like an unhealthy distraction.  Just like your cupcakes.

And look, I’m not saying we won’t fight every now and then.  Every healthy relationship is going to get into an argument sometimes.  But maybe that’s part of the problem: I’ve never felt challenged by you.  You always just let me win.  What you don’t understand is that it’s not about the feelings of victory – I’m not some jerk who only cares about the end goal – it’s about how we got there.  It’s about the journey we took and the feelings conveyed.  It’s about not just TAPPING THE X BUTTON 300,000 TIMES IN ONE PLAYTHROUGH AND WINNING EVERY TIME.  See, I’m getting confrontational again.  Are you going to ante up this time or do I win again?  Ball’s in your court.

I know I’m asking a lot of you, and I don’t exactly expect you to live up to my expectations.  You haven’t so far.  And I'm also not going to make the promise that I'll take you back because I'm young and relatively attractive and I can maybe get a hotter woman in my life anyway, but I think you might still be able to impress me.  And given your poor track record and constant disappointments in the past few years, I think I'm beig very understanding.  You're welcome.  Look, I get that you have to cater to thousands and thousands of other lovers, many of whom like who you are right now.  And maybe that’s all you want, KH.  Maybe you just want to be loved for who you are.  But understand that you’re not a good person, KH.  Not to me and not to a lot of your other now ex-lovers.  It’s not too late to get a few of us back; all we’re asking is that you just change who you are.  Just a little bit.  After all, it’s a new year with fresh possibilities to explore.  Try something different.

What’s that?  Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIXWE’RE THROUGH.

~*~

What about you?  Is your love for Kingdom Hearts still going strong, or are you too considering a divorce?  Or is it that you've long been estranged?  Is there any way for you to get back into the series, or has it lost you for good?  WHY ARE YOU HERE???

COMMENTS

limit

February 12, 2013 @ 02:22 amOffline

Come on, KH3D was good! Maybe not so much Days/Coded, but I, optimist as I am, see it as another epic adventure to go on. The games in the KH series are better than a LOT of other games out there.

And also, I'm actually looking forward to KH 1.5, I could use a refreshed version of the PS2 games.

WayToDusk

February 12, 2013 @ 02:28 amOffline

I still love Kingdom Hearts now as much as I did when I first read the manga for KH2 (which is actually how I got into the series) and when I first played the games. I've been around from the days of pwilliard's reign on youtube, and to consider the fact that the three figures in the secret ending were Sora, Kairi, and Riku's kids in the far future, though we now know that was completely wrong, and my love for the series has not lessened. Days and 3D were not useless at all, if you ask me (though I do agree that Coded was stretching it, a bit). They gave vital information that we will need for future games, and if we were to skip those games and go ahead and play KH3 (whatever it will contain) we'd just get completely lost.

Spoiler Spoiler: Reactions of those who haven't played Days or 3D Show
It's all part of the "Jigsaw Puzzle Plot".

I do agree that it's taking a really long time, but that gives me a chance to focus on other things in my life, such as that book I keep saying I'm gonna write... or those really long school projects. I also enjoy Kingdom Hearts and stay with it for the nostalgia I get. Do you know how much pleasure I get out of beating up Giant Ursula, song-mode or otherwise? Not to mention I conquered my fear of moving skeletons in the world Port Royal.

I think the series has done as well as it has because it caters to so many people, and brings new fans in with new games. There's the people who love Disney, the people who love trying to figure out a confusing plot, and those that simply want to play a game where they get to beat something up. I think the wait for Kingdom Hearts III will be well worth it.

Lanydx reborn

February 12, 2013 @ 04:33 amOffline

KH and I have been forced into not seeing eachother...granted we sent emails, but it;s not the same as face to face. We meet again in DDD and picked up from where we left off. I've changed, so has KH, but the spark is still there.

user avatar

Rosebudx

February 12, 2013 @ 05:19 amOffline

I'm sorry, but I almost uniformly disagree with you. The only part I'll side with you on is the whole Sora/Vanitas thing. It confuses me, too.

I like the whole kudzu-like growth of the story. I enjoy not knowing exactly where the series is going to go, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how it all ties in at the end. The fact that the games don't tie up all the loose ends within the games themselves makes me smile. It kind of reminds me of Harry Potter and all the wonky, crazy plots that J. K. Rowling came up with that weren't resolved until the end of the seventh book. For me, at least, Kingdom Hearts provides an excellent vessel with which to play through a similarly-formed storyline, and that is an awesome thing indeed.

I'm no Organization fangirl, but Days is still a positive game for me as far as the story goes. I liked seeing the character development of the Org. members, specifically Axel and Roxas. Xion is still one of my favorite characters, honestly, and though she may not be the most well-developed of all time she's just so tragic and angst-ridden that my heart goes out to her. She's one of the only characters who doesn't seem to be on track to get a happy ending, and that alone earns my respect in a Disney series.

As far as the whole Disney aspect of the story goes, I really feel that 3D did a great job of bringing back some of the life to the Disney plots. Unlike KH2, where the original movie-verses were basically hijacked and used solely as set pieces in the game's plot, the Disney worlds included in 3D seemed to shape the characters, just as they did in the original game. As the whole point of the game is for Riku and Sora to grow into the Keybearers they were meant to be (or so it seems at first), the fact that the worlds do transform their characterizations is perhaps even more seamless than the original. I don't understand why people are complaining so much about how Disney seems to have disappeared; you must remember that the Disney plots have also never been the main focus of the side-games, so to look at Days and Coded and expect them to be filled with Disney characters and plots is absurd to me.

The parkouring, as you call it, in 3D is actually one of my favorite features. It allows players to explore the worlds in a way that was only really possible in Neverland, when the characters could fly. There are hidden niches that you can climb up to and look down at the world, and there are belltowers to climb up and around just like Quasimodo does...it's a beautiful game.

I'm really sorry that you have fallen out of love with the series. For me, it's grown up along with me and has expanded into something greater than just the original game (which is indeed a great thing). Was the gameplay of Days bad? Yes, it was horrendous. Was the story of Coded horribly done and probably unnecessary? Absolutely. Is this series dead? Not by a long shot.

akaierik

February 12, 2013 @ 05:34 amOffline

I dunno, man. I understand your frustrations with the series, but this editorial just comes off as really cheesy. KH is a great series, and if every game was exactly like the first one, it would be pretty bland. Instead, the story branches out into this really complex, really cool plot chock-full of side stories and minor characters and different elements that fill in the holes in the KH universe.

I know you don't dig the side games, but I think that just means you're not really a KH fan; you just like the basics.

Chaser

February 12, 2013 @ 05:47 amOffline

Look, I think I’ve made my issues clear to you and probably a divorce court as to why I split from Kingdom Hearts. I threw myself at the mercy of the court because honestly, I just didn’t want to pay alimony. Call me selfish, but I don’t think I’m in the wrong here. I don’t think these issues are irreparable though. In fact, I think with a little work (mostly from her side, not mine), we can get back into a very healthy relationship. You know, for the kids, provided they’re content with only having one Christmas again.
The analogy is good. I hope it doesn't last the whole thing.

First and foremost, Kingdom Hearts needs to stop being so complicated with me. When we were still married, she'd come home from work and I wouldn't even know who she was anymore. I had trouble just managing the different interactions between the thirteen unique organization members, let alone dealing with whatever Xion is supposed to be or that really poorly-designed X-Blade. Or figuring out why Vanitas looks like Sora (don’t try to explain it, I’ve given up hope on that part of her). Look, I want to go back to the early days when KH and I had just started dating. Sora left Destiny Islands to go find his friends and he discovered some really cool Disney worlds along the way. Light was slowly shed on the story and we were teased with something greater. But now it’s just too much. Baby, let’s go back to the days where we could converse, not now where you talk about every facet of your day and I’m lost to the details.

So hey, can you stop being pedantic and just get to the point already? I really don’t care about Xion. I really don’t. To be honest, I don’t care about most of what you tell me from work. I don’t care about the guy from the accounting department who left you a nasty note because you didn’t leave enough coffee for him. You probably deserved that note anyway. All I want is the crucial summary of your day. You did a great job of giving me an introduction and a firm middle, now where’s the climactic ending? Stop padding with useless details. Stop meandering around trying to distract me from the main cause. You know what I want. I want you to put out for once.

I mean Kingdom Hearts III, of course. Look, the secret ending to the second game’s Final Mix was really cool. And hey, Birth by Sleep isn’t the worst thing you’ve invented to stir up our love again, but you need to cut the crap with the rest of it. Days? Coded? 3D? Seriously, knock it off. I want Kingdom Hearts III. Sometimes when I go to the bar with my friends they make a point to ask me about how our relationship is going. They ask about Kingdom Hearts III. And you know what? I don’t know what to tell them anymore.

Secondly, I wish you could bring out your fun side a little bit more. I remember when KH and I first started dating she used to be all about the Disney characters and worlds. There was some other stuff thrown in, but Disney used to be a giant web that held everything together, including our budding romance. I know you’re running out of ways to keep things fresh: there are a finite amount of Disney movies. But imagine all the possibilities you haven’t explored. I’m looking at you, Pixar. Don’t you hold out on me.

Basically, just surprise me sometimes. I get tired of coming home to the same dinner or watching the same movies on HBO every week. That doesn’t make for a very romantic relationship and you know it. It’s exactly why I’ve been sleeping around with The Legend of Zelda. Look, I know you have a nice formula all lined up. You’re in a comfortable routine where you just go through each iteration with the same mindset as the last. But it doesn’t have to be that way! Remember when Chain of Memories came out and you introduced this new card-based mechanic? That was cool. It definitely needed some work, but it was progress via baby steps. That’s all I’m asking for. And adding something like parkour mechanics in your game doesn’t feel like a real change. It feels like an unhealthy distraction. Just like your cupcakes.

And look, I’m not saying we won’t fight every now and then. Every healthy relationship is going to get into an argument sometimes. But maybe that’s part of the problem: I’ve never felt challenged by you. You always just let me win. What you don’t understand is that it’s not about the feelings of victory – I’m not some jerk who only cares about the end goal – it’s about how we got there. It’s about the journey we took and the feelings conveyed. It’s about not just TAPPING THE X BUTTON 300,000 TIMES IN ONE PLAYTHROUGH AND WINNING EVERY TIME. See, I’m getting confrontational again. Are you going to ante up this time or do I win again? Ball’s in your court.

I know I’m asking a lot of you, and I don’t exactly expect you to live up to my expectations. You haven’t so far. And I'm also not going to make the promise that I'll take you back because I'm young and relatively attractive and I can maybe get a hotter woman in my life anyway, but I think you might still be able to impress me. And given your poor track record and constant disappointments in the past few years, I think I'm beig very understanding. You're welcome. Look, I get that you have to cater to thousands and thousands of other lovers, many of whom like who you are right now. And maybe that’s all you want, KH. Maybe you just want to be loved for who you are. But understand that you’re not a good person, KH. Not to me and not to a lot of your other now ex-lovers. It’s not too late to get a few of us back; all we’re asking is that you just change who you are. Just a little bit. After all, it’s a new year with fresh possibilities to explore. Try something different.

What’s that? Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX? WE’RE THROUGH.
diddly.

Easy solution, just focus on the older days. Give up now.

She's sticking around. You don't want her, go back to the time before her and stay there #easysolution

*sob*
Analogies.

I mean Kingdom Hearts III, of course.
Uh oh.

Can't change the past.

We all want it. But really, reading this gave me a headache.

Stop with the analogies omg.

They did progress on it though... and I think 99.9% of people like the flowmotion. Calling it parkour just seems like a cheap way to seem like you're trying to easily relate to todays teenages(and you're just 18 taylor. you don't need to do that)

Well they have changed it up. How would you prefer the gameplay to go?

The thing that killed me, reading this whole editorial, was the much over-used analogies. Taylor, this is too much.

What’s that? Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX? WE’RE THROUGH.
</3

Professor Ven

February 12, 2013 @ 06:01 amOffline

This "editorial" should not be your blog, and yet, it is. You could have done better.

Turn

February 12, 2013 @ 06:31 amOffline

This series of editorials was framed from the beginning as his personal experience with Kingdom Hearts. And all an article requires to qualify as an editorial, by the way, is that it be an expression of the writer's opinion, so I have no idea why you put that in quotes. I'm not sure what else you could've reasonably expected.

user avatar

Taylor

February 12, 2013 @ 06:39 amOffline

Thanks for the critique, Chaser. I agree with a lot of it. Proof reading would have been a good idea. I think looking at it now, the analogy is probably abused, but for whatever reason it never struck me like that originally. Thanks though!

Agreed!

TAnyway, I agree that the analogy probably overstayed it's welcome, and overcomplicated the article to a degree (but I wasn't as utterly repulsed as Chaser lol). I'm also not super positive that the entire premise of this editorial wasn't redundant, since, really, you already covered what you felt needed to be improved in the last one, and all you seemed to do here was marginally expand on those same complaints. IDK. My two cents.
I knew it was redundant while I was writing it, but that's more of the fault of how I handled the second one over how I handled this one. But I definitely agree that there should have been a little more balance between the two. I was supposed to write them both at the same time and then work from there but I wrote one two months after the other and it kind of resulted in something really repetitive. Like a condensed summary. Definitely a rushed piece, and I don't plan on handling them like that anymore.

Master Keyblade

February 12, 2013 @ 07:31 amOffline

I could care less about Coded, considering how i've never played it. But i watched Gameplay of it and the whole story with cutscenes.

But Days? Come on. Admit Days was good.

Wehrmacht

February 12, 2013 @ 07:35 amOffline

I shared most of my thoughts when you posted your second article I think, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to expand a little bit:

My first KH game was actually Chain of Memories. Back then seeing Cloud and Donald in the same game was the weirdest thing ever. I got caught up in the first KH's story and beat it and it was actually pretty enjoyable. The card-based gameplay wasn't exactly one of their best ideas, since all it really meant was you had to do really easy mental math and not spam quite as much while still doing exactly what you did before. But I really enjoyed the story and characters, and it felt like there was a lot of promise.

I played KH2 and KH2FM came out shortly afterwards around the time I joined the forum. Soon afterwards CoM, BBS, and Days were announced and I was legitimately excited to see how things would go. But as the games came out, I became more and more disenfranchised with every installment.

There were good things about Days: the panel customization system was so much fun for the first few hours. The re-creations of the PS2 worlds on the DS were very impressive. The dialogue seemed less sophomoric and more nuanced. There was actual character interaction that regularly happened between Axel Roxas and Xion. But then the game's faults just became too apparent. The game is just one of the many rehashes SE has done of the KH1 worlds with some KH2 worlds at that. The admiration for how they rendered the worlds on the DS fades away rather quickly and it all just feels rather lazy. Been here, done that. Why couldn't Prankster's Paradise have been a world instead of Agrabah? The game's premise didn't really seem like it would have worked as a game anyway, to the point where I was surprised they made one of it at all. And of course they had to BS an entirely new character in, in an attempt to create drama. The whole thing just felt so unnecessary. And honestly, that wouldn't bother me normally. I don't mind "unnecessary" pieces of media so long as they're good. But Days isn't good. It just isn't.

BBS just further complicated a story that had already become too convoluted for its own good. The new worlds were a nice addition, but they're still just as empty and uninteresting as KH2's. In fact, it didn't really feel like much of an improvement from KH2 in general, which was already a game with a lot of design issues.

I haven't played coded. It could be a fun game for all I know, so I won't comment much on its quality as a game. I'll just say that I'm ready for when SE stops re-hashing KH1's worlds.

Overall I just don't feel very invested in the series anymore. I don't think it was ever particularly excellent; KH1 is really rough and unpolished and just got by on being charming and something that worked out better than expected. Subsequent games haven't really managed to recapture my interest, so I think the games just aren't something I can enjoy anymore.

The games in the KH series are better than a LOT of other games out there.
That really depends what games you're talking about and in what ways. I could also mention several franchises that I think are better at being the type of game they are supposed to be than KH. It's not ENTIRELY a pointless back and forth of opinions when it comes to issues like these because game design is a difficult thing to argue when something is definitely wrong, but it's still a really opinionated affair overall.

Chaser

February 12, 2013 @ 09:29 amOffline

But Days? Come on. Admit Days was good.
The thing about Coded and Days is, the gameplay of Days sucked while Coded had fun gameplay.
The plot of Days was much much better than Coded.
If they would have gotten the basic plot of Days with the gameplay of Coded, then the game would have been so much better when playing.

Sephiroth0812

February 12, 2013 @ 09:31 amOffline

The plot of Days was much much better than Coded.
So the solution would have been to unite Days and Coded into one game?
Like having one good game instead of two mediocre ones?

Chaser

February 12, 2013 @ 09:36 amOffline

So the solution would have been to unite Days and Coded into one game?
Like having one good game instead of two mediocre ones?
Maybe. Wouldn't have stopped people complaining about Xion though :P

©2012 KHInsider. KINGDOM HEARTS official artwork, trailers, characters, merchandise, and music is copyrighted to Square Enix and Disney.
Please read our privacy policy for more information.