• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why Are People Upset About Xbox-One?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inu117

I just can not rap my mind around the reason why people are upset that KH3 will be coming to Xbox-One. I just don't understand why it is such a big deal. Ever since i played Kingdom Hearts 1 i have been trying to get others to play this amazing game series just so they can experience it for themselves. I believe that everyone deserves a chance to play this wonderful series so why have them be crutched by what console they have. Most kids don't really have much say in what console they may have. When i was a kid i was just lucky that my parents bought a ps2 and was able to start the series when it began. Really all im trying to say is, i want people to enjoy this series and have the experience i did when i played. To be moved by the narrative and feel actual emotion from the game and i feel that if others really enjoy this series they would want that as well. So why not make it more accessible for those to play it.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
The only reason I can think of as to why people would be upset would be because the game is going onto a console that has never had a Kingdom Hearts game on it before. It's kind of a weird decision to a lot of people (especially since Nintendo has Kingdom Hearts games but won't be getting 3).
(And there's also the stereotype that people who play Xbox don't care for narratives in story, but rather just stick to FPS)

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
That's a reasonable position.

Mostly I just like Playstation exclusives because they make me feel special and I have this hazy (probably misguided) notion that it helps development along when companies are just focused on one console. And XBox One looks like a pretty crummy console-- *ahem* please excuse all my preconceived notions.

But in the end, it really is true that the more people who have access to KH, the better.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Well, the reason isn't as heartfelt or emotional as I'm sure you're thinking it is.

It comes down to the fact that the series has already been spread out once before. KH3 is coming onto a Xbox system for the first time in the history of the series, meanwhile the Wii U has been left high and dry despite the fact the series has been on three Nintendo systems in the past.

Also the fact that people who get the XB1 version of KH3 can't play 1.5 or 2.5 to catch up without a PS3.

I'm sure there are also technical reasons why people are against KH3 on the XB1.

I really don't care at this point since the outcome is pretty obvious.

Inu117

The only reason I can think of as to why people would be upset would be because the game is going onto a console that has never had a Kingdom Hearts game on it before.

But why would a fan be upset by that? I mean yes it is a bit weird since the average xbox fan who has been with the xbox since the beginning probably never played the other games. They would see KH3 and not really see a reason to buy it. This just means to me that they should have released the HD Remixs for the xbox as well. That way they can start building up that market and when KH3 does come out there will be more of a fan base in the xbox community to buy it.

Also i think that maybe since there was such a huge gap between a console game release they may think that there are xbox players who did have a ps2 and played the first 2 games. For example i am one of them, i had a ps2, played the first 2 but later on got an xbox 360.

Inu117

Well, the reason isn't as heartfelt or emotional as I'm sure you're thinking it is.

Haha i never thought that that was the reason for them releasing it on the xbox. I just meant that as fans we should be happy that others would be able to experience the game.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
I find it really weird. It does kinda seem out of place. But it's really no problem. The game is being developed for PC and then downgraded for PS4 and X1. The PS4 version will probably be superior, but the differences will probably not be great.

Honestly the only dumb decision about KH3's platforms it'll be released for is that it's not gonna be available on PC, despite being developed for it.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
But why would a fan be upset by that?
Because the series just got back to being on one console after being spread out on several different ones.

I mean yes it is a bit weird since the average xbox fan who has been with the xbox since the beginning probably never played the other games. They would see KH3 and not really see a reason to buy it.
If you follow the stereotypical Xbox-er, they're going to see Disney on there and call it a childrens game. Take Lightning Returns for example. It sold only 4000 copies for the Xbox 360 when it launched in Japan while the PS3 copy sold over 277, 000.

This just means to me that they should have released the HD Remixs for the xbox as well. That way they can start building up that market and when KH3 does come out their will be more of a fan base in the xbox community to buy it.
They already said they weren't going to do that though. People who are going to buy KH3 for the Xbox One are probably people who have already played the series.

Also i think that maybe since there was such a huge gap between a console game release they may think that there are xbox players who did have a ps2 and played the first 2 games. For example i am one of them, i had a ps2, played the first 2 but later on got an xbox 360.
This might be their thinking, but I also believe Microsoft paid Square Enix for some games. It's been no secret Square Enix have been in the red for a while. Kingdom Hearts 3 was always rumoured to be a Sony-exclusive, and FFXV was already a Sony exclusive, but then it was made into a PS4/Xbox One franchise (not to mention the press releases talk up the Xbox One).

It's not really that big a deal, it being released on Xbox doesn't really affect me (apart from clueless people who pick up the game and have no idea whats going on).

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
This just means to me that they should have released the HD Remixs for the xbox as well. That way they can start building up that market and when KH3 does come out there will be more of a fan base in the xbox community to buy it.

Not enough staff to do that. Only 2 programmers were personally handling 1.5, and maybe 10-20 people working on it at different periods of time (half of them being planners). The team is the same for 2.5 while the rest of the department works on KH3, and Osaka is a team of around 300 (and not all of them work with programming and technical development)...not that big for a development team.

Also with the 360 not having much life left in it, and being dead-on-arrival in Japan, there was just no point in making a team who had never worked on HD games before bother learning how to work with a system that they'd never work with again (PS3 is similar, but it was a place to start.) Also they probably had their fair share of issues making these games work for the PS3. The costs outweighed the benefits.

Eva

~ ♥~ Grand Summoner~ ♥~
Awards
Sony fanboys crying that they aren't special anymore.

That is pretty much it when you get down to it.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

Kingdom Hearts has been on Nintendo since 2004. Since the first Kingdom Hearts, only 2 games have been made for Sony, while there's been 4 for Nintendo (we're not counting ReMIX's here).
If anything, Kingdom Hearts has really been a Sony/Nintendo game, therefore Sony fanboys should never have counted Kingdom Hearts as "special".

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I find that an invalid argument since we've been getting games for GBA, DS, and 3DS since CoM lol

Up until 1.5 and 2.5 (and Re:CoM), most of the series was on Nintendo systems rofl

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
If anything, Kingdom Hearts has really been a Sony/Nintendo game, therefore Sony fanboys should never have counted Kingdom Hearts as "special".

Up until 1.5 and 2.5 (and Re:CoM), most of the series was on Nintendo systems rofl
At least in my experience, people don't think of handheld gaming the same way as home console gaming.

Like I know diehard Sony nerds who'll buy Nintendo handhelds for the new Pokemon games. I think it has to do with handhelds being perceived as more for "light gaming" anyhow, so they don't figure into the whole hardcore nerd culture philosophy as much. (Also, handheld gaming is pretty much synonymous with Nintendo to begin with. No one else works that market like them.)

That and most of the Sony-exclusive gamers I've met haven't ever played the handheld titles aside from BBS (even if they have Gameboy whatevers), and consider Days and RE:Coded irrelevant. So just saying, their internal logic would appear to be consistent, even if it's. You know. Wrong. :p

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
(i forgot re:com so shhh)

As you can see, we've had the series split over many consoles up until 2013. That's been 11 years of having to console jump between games. Counting Re:CoM and Re:coded, then the series has been equal split between Sony and Nintendo.
In 2013, they released the ReMIX's as a way to bring the series back to one console, which has been great for fans.

Now, since they announced KH3, it's just been a massive "WTF" move by Square Enix since it shows them splitting the series up again onto even more platforms, and onto one that has no KH history..

Eva

~ ♥~ Grand Summoner~ ♥~
Awards
Kingdom Hearts has been on Nintendo since 2004. Since the first Kingdom Hearts, only 2 games have been made for Sony, while there's been 4 for Nintendo (we're not counting ReMIX's here).

I find that an invalid argument since we've been getting games for GBA, DS, and 3DS since CoM lol

All the other games mentioned have been handhelds, the main games have been on the PS2. It's kinda like when FFXIII was announced to also be on XBox 360, other FF games have been on other consoles, but people whined and complained that it should be 'Sony exclusive'.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
All the other games mentioned have been handhelds, the main games have been on the PS2. It's kinda like when FFXIII was announced to also be on XBox 360, other FF games have been on other consoles, but people whined and complained that it should be 'Sony exclusive'.
And with FFXIII sales, that's shown.
XIII-2 only sold 10, 000 copies for the Xbox at launch, while LR only sold 4000 copies. Meanwhile the sony consoles had 524,217 sales for XIII-2 and 277,082 for LR, much higher numbers than the Xbox counterparts (not to mention the original XIII had to be split onto 3 discs for the Xbox, which might turn people off).

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Now, since they announced KH3, it's just been a massive "WTF" move by Square Enix since it shows them splitting the series up again onto even more platforms, and onto one that has no KH history..
I think it's made a little less WTF by the FFXIII(-2?) release on 360. So Microsoft has history with Square Enix, and if we think of Kingdom Hearts as a Square Enix property...
But yeah, it's still pretty left-field. Especially since they didn't make the effort to get the REMIXes on XBox (it's understandable why they didn't, still adds to the bafflement factor).

*edit: nevermind

Relix

A traveler
Awards
XIII-2 only sold 10, 000 copies for the Xbox at launch, while LR only sold 4000 copies.

damn that is horrible lmao

personally I just think its weird that xbox will only get 3. I mean, maybe people who had ps2 now have Xbox1s or something. Hopefully their numbers are better that ^

Inu117

I mean, maybe people who had ps2 now have Xbox1s or something.

Yea that seems to be the most logical reason so far (that and maybe Microsoft is throwing some money their way to have it on their system). Because of the huge gap between console games it can be understandable that many people may have switched consoles. And since they announced it before the consoles were even released those who were in that category no longer had to worry about which console they got since it will be on both.

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I think it also factors in that usually when games are exclusive to one console, the developers have better incentive to fully utilize said console's potentials. However, once they go multi-plat, utilizing for instance the size of the blu-ray disc and the CELL chip on the PS3 doesn't benefit 360 owners very much, resulting in a compromise where the same game is just made "good enough" on both consoles.

This time around though, both the PS4 and Xbox One are really similar. Plus, SE is developing KH3 first on the PC and then porting it to both consoles, meaning that it really doesn't matter any longer. The more consoles, the more people might be able to play the games.

But I do wonder whether it's profitable for them to make an Xbone version at all. All the hype's been on the PS4 version, and I seriously don't know of anyone out there who says they're going to buy the Xbone version at all. It's not going to sell in Japan and the sales overseas will probably echo those of the FFXIII series. So maybe, people argue that all those resources might be better spent on a single platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back