• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Which Bible?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
★;5553884 said:
It's called the Qu'ran, actually.

Do the original writings still exist? If not, I doubt it that it has never been edited for the purpose of propaganda, because, well, that's how the world works.

Nelo Angelo

Enigma of Extreme
Awards
Never too busy for this at all my brother ;) It still surprises me how some people, unfortunatley, are unaware of this fact although it has been agreed upon by many non-muslim who have studied the field in great deal. The "Preservation and Literary Challenge of the Qur'an" thread will shed a great deal of light to those who have not come across this information before.

(Love the avatar btw. Reminds me of the Hadiith of the Prophet (PBUH) of how every messenger of Allah was a shepherd of some sort)

Magic

I believe I have that version as well. I'm not sure. The reason for my uncertainty is because I think its one of the ones I noticed a lot of omissions in, so I rarely use it.

Don't quote me on that though. =p
Really? I hope not, it's the only bible I have that's actually in book form. I personally prefer that over online or in ebook form.

Onasi

Honestly if you want to debate christians with your knowledge then you pretty much have to read every version and read them in every way of reading the passages. Contrary to what you're suppose to do, many christians in modern day use the idea that some parts of the bible were "Just a message" or "Just a metaphor" to remove themselves from the fact that much of the bible Isn't historically or scientifically accurate. For that matter much of the bible isn't by what normal people would call moral.

Most people who will actually debate you over things in the bible will use some way to get out of an argument that in some way shows the bible is wrong in whatever topic you are discussing is. One of the easiest ways is "Oh, that's not the bible I read. I read the _____ Version of the bible. It's different."

The best way to counter that, and avoid letting them make you look like a fool, is to buy the different versions of the bible as well as have some mythology books and other holy texts. Having science/history knowledge on what the topic is helps too.

If you're not religious (IE atheist or agnostic) then read it simply to have the knowledge of a large religious group. If you're of a different religion or a different denomination of Christianity it will help you understand the other faith/denomination's ideology. You should read other mythologies of people before christ though to see just how other ancient religions have influenced those of today. Read it with a scientific mind though and with knowledge that many of the stories and moral guides are reflections of much older mythologies.

Nelo Angelo

Enigma of Extreme
Awards
I agree with you there Xi, that you have to actually read and know what that religion talks about (from its scripture most importantly as that is supposed to be its foundation) before you can discuss it (I prefer not to debate as I find the person(s) doesn't really want to learn but to prove they are right). I always remember the very first words of revelation of the Qur'an encouraging man to read. "Proclaim! (or read!) in the name of thy Lord and Cherisher, Who created. Created man, out of a (mere) clot of congealed blood. Proclaim! And thy Lord is Most Bountiful. He Who taught (the use of) the pen. Taught man that which he knew not." [Ch96 V1-5] I've tried to point out quite a few times here, how the Book encourages and pushes man to be intellects and study further.

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
In my eyes the best versions to read are either NIV (seems to be the most popular around my end of the US) or the NLT which is a version that explains what those tough words are. And I have a very broad vocabulary as is.

Onasi

I agree with you there Xi, that you have to actually read and know what that religion talks about (from its scripture most importantly as that is supposed to be its foundation) before you can discuss it (I prefer not to debate as I find the person(s) doesn't really want to learn but to prove they are right). I always remember the very first words of revelation of the Qur'an encouraging man to read. "Proclaim! (or read!) in the name of thy Lord and Cherisher, Who created. Created man, out of a (mere) clot of congealed blood. Proclaim! And thy Lord is Most Bountiful. He Who taught (the use of) the pen. Taught man that which he knew not." [Ch96 V1-5] I've tried to point out quite a few times here, how the Book encourages and pushes man to be intellects and study further.

Yeah? I actually got a few books, as well as a good copy of the Koran, to read up on Islam. I'm actually interested in how it has been influenced by the other Abrahamic religions as well as ancient middle eastern mythology. Its interesting how Islam's evolution in the middle east aligns well with how Christianity grew and evolved in Europe. Along with its age in relation with other religions it's not all that surprising but remains interesting. I guess though that this thread isn't the best place to talk about that. Shoot me up a PM sometime on your thoughts on Islam. I promise I wouldn't try to get into some kind of religious debate with you. XD

Nelo Angelo

Enigma of Extreme
Awards
No problem bro ;) I can give you insight to those queries you posed to start with via PM.

wii.red24

i highly recommend the New American Standnard Bible it has Great translation its easy to read and u can probably get it for $20 at your local bible shop

Candy Man

Green Lantern Battery
King James is a good Bible, but they have been a lot of better translations since then. For most people, I would recommend the New International Version. It's a good translation and the modern language keeps it from getting too confusing.

the two versions I read the most are the NIV and the Amplified Version. Amplified is good for studying more than reading, understanding the key differences between the old languages and English, as well as seeing how different books relate to one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back