• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Which Bible?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ven-Dono

Website
naruto-chronicles.net
Okay, so I got a Bible that I intend to read. So that, when I debate religion with Christians from now on, I'll know what the hell I'm talking about. It's the King James version. Is that okay? If not, what Bible should I get?

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
The King James version is the most widely used Bible among Protestant churches, I believe, but if you're looking for a larger quantity of material, I'd suggest the New American translation, which is the original Christian canon, as opposed to the Protestant Bibles, which may or may not include the omitted books.

They're relatively unimportant, though, so I think you'd be perfectly fine in reading the King James version.
Most of what you'll really need to know in order to debate with Christians is in the gospels, anyways.

Also, I applaud you for reading up on the other side of an argument; most folks (theists and atheists equally) are so prideful and assured that what they believe is right that they don't bother to. Good for you.

The Fishman

Keyblade Master
King James Version would be fine
I don't know what the differences are, if there are any, between the KJV and the Bible Catholics use, but I'm sure they're pretty much the same
Good luck!

T

The Spoiler

Yeah King James is the one I read, but sometimes its hard to understand! And sometimes the new enqlish translations change things so im told to read King James.

Camilo101

Yeah and just to explain the point of the versions, they change the words around to make more sense in modern terms. Like instead of "Our Father who art in heaven, hallow be thy name," my Bible says something like "Our father, who is in heaven, may your name always be kept holy." But the thing I like about my Bible is that it always has footnotes at the bottom when there is a section that has been rephrased in many different versions, so I can see how it was before.

KeybladeLegacy5

SENPAI!
Yes, the King James version is fine...I prefer the NIV personally and I am a christian but i do applaude you for actually doing your homework on the other side of the argument unlike most

Haeralis

Remains of the Judgement
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
If you can find it, Id recommend a Phillips version Bible for the New Testament. Just dont be reading it like it is stupid and be sure to keep an open attitude.

T

The Spoiler

I will try my best to have an open attitude, but I'll also be looking for points to argue against. I'm not reading it to convert.
So you think. Once you read it you will veiw everything differently, and you will be surprised how much sense everything makes.

Haeralis

Remains of the Judgement
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I will try my best to have an open attitude, but I'll also be looking for points to argue against. I'm not reading it to convert.

I understand what you are talking about and at least there a few people who dont remain in ignorance before they scoff at something.

So you think. Once you read it you will veiw everything differently, and you will be surprised how much sense everything makes.

I agree you may be surprised

The Fishman

Keyblade Master
just remember, don't take the Bible literally, think of it as reading poetry, having symbolism in the words but not in the literal sense

Ven-Dono

Website
naruto-chronicles.net
just remember, don't take the Bible literally, think of it as reading poetry, having symbolism in the words but not in the literal sense

That seems like a way to cover up any thing where the bible would have false claims inside. But nonetheless, I'm still going to try and keep an open mind.

Haeralis

Remains of the Judgement
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com

A lot of the more historical books like Kings and Samuel are literal more than figurative. You just need to know when to differentiate between the two.

The Fishman

Keyblade Master
A lot of the more historical books like Kings and Samuel are literal more than figurative. You just need to know when to differentiate between the two.

exactly, one book you especially shouldn't take literally is Genesis
it broke my heart when they told me the apple wasn't really an apple but meant something else
i still can't believe i've been lied to all these years, lol :)
but like you said, there are some that are more literal, thanks for pointing that out

Vossler

I'll Be His Successor
I would say the one I found most enjoyable is NIKJ version, that one I have like the best so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back