• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What's your opinion about Sora x Kairi?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
Statements like these just remind me again why I am against this whole romance garbage in KH.
The intent to make one single bond between two characters a special snowflake and devalue the bonds between all other characters.

Ditto. I've never given much of a darn for Sora/Kairi, it was too cliched for me and I much prefer Sora and Riku. Although I doubt they'll go in that direction, they're great as bros to me, and Kairi is too uninteresting a character (so far) for me to like the idea of her being paired up with Sora. Also the other bonds between other characters- Axel and Roxas, Roxas and Xion, Terra and Ven, Sora and Riku, Mickey and Ven, and so on- are so much more powerful and impactful, that they make SoKai feel like a high school crush.

I would personally like it if they didn't end up together. I loved what they did with the Legend of Korra, where Korra was into Mako for the entirety of the first season but the series ultimately took a very different direction with Korra's relationships by the fourth season. I would like to see Sora fall for someone other than the obvious choice, the only girl in the trio.

Awards
I would personally like it if they didn't end up together. I loved what they did with the Legend of Korra, where Korra was into Mako for the entirety of the first season but the series ultimately took a very different direction with Korra's relationships by the fourth season. I would like to see Sora fall for someone other than the obvious choice, the only girl in the trio.
I'm a fan of Legend of Korra and how it ended, but the cases are dissimilar. For one, romance was a far bigger, more focused on thing in LoK. Plus, the series showed a definite incompatibility and conclusion for Korra and Mako's romantic relationship, and went on to establish a friendship between them instead while Korra's most focused on relationship in season 3 became her growing relationship with Asami, despite their differences in the past.

SoKai hasn't had any such hints at incompatibility or closure from the hints in the endings of KH1 and KH2 and the hints about the importance of Kairi to Sora in other games.

Rather than a relationship that's more important than all of Sora's other ones, I would say that Sora and Kairi's relationship is just shown differently a lot of the time. It certainly doesn't eclipse the others, considering how often Kairi's left to the wayside.

SephirothZ

Do you guys have a significant other in real life? I ask that because it seems as though some believe if Sora X Kairi get together, all their other friendships just go away. That is not how things work... ever. Look, if you do not like Sora X Kairi together, then that is fine, but some of the REASONS I hear on this thread just do not make sense. It is almost as if you see things strictly in black and white; all or nothing!

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Do you guys have a significant other in real life? I ask that because it seems as though some believe if Sora X Kairi get together, all their other friendships just go away. That is not how things work... ever. Look, if you do not like Sora X Kairi together, then that is fine, but some of the REASONS I hear on this thread just do not make sense. It is almost as if you see things strictly in black and white; all or nothing!

They are real concerns people have for these characters. Just because you don't understand their concern, doesn't mean they're not valid. Some people don't want romance because they simply don't like it. Some of the best successful games don't have romance because it's safe and appeals to everyone. Everyone disagreeing is evidence that not everyone likes romance. Personally I hate how romance is handled in both western and eastern media.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Nobody believes that. People want to see Kairi and Sora develop a friendship, and for Kairi to develop a personality and other attachments to people that isn't based on Sora before they develop a relationship. If that isn't possible, then there is no enjoyment to be gained from watching their romance blossom because one half of the entire relationship exists just for Sora.

You seem to have rather traditional views on relationships and romance, and I think that is a barrier to you really grasping our opinions on this and that's fine.

SephirothZ

They are real concerns people have for these characters. Just because you don't understand their concern, doesn't mean they're not valid. Some people don't want romance because they simply don't like it. Some of the best successful games don't have romance because it's safe and appeals to everyone. Everyone disagreeing is evidence that not everyone likes romance. Personally I hate how romance is handled in both western and eastern media.

I understand people do not like romance, that is not what I am talking about. I am talking about the recent discussion that a romance between Sora x Kairi would somehow diminish the other friendships in the game.

Nobody believes that. People want to see Kairi and Sora develop a friendship, and for Kairi to develop a personality and other attachments to people that isn't based on Sora before they develop a relationship. If that isn't possible, then there is no enjoyment to be gained from watching their romance blossom because one half of the entire relationship exists just for Sora.

I would agree with that, I dont think I ever said anything to the contrary.

You seem to have rather traditional views on relationships and romance, and I think that is a barrier to you really grasping our opinions on this and that's fine.

I am not sure how you got my "traditional views on relationships" from saying other friendships are still important even if you are in a romantic relationship. That is simply being realistic, if you do not think that way, you may not have a healthy romantic relationship or you isolated yourself from your friends on your own accord.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I am not sure how you got my "traditional views on relationships" from saying other friendships are still important even if you are in a romantic relationship. That is simply being realistic, if you do not think that way, you may not have a healthy romantic relationship or you isolated yourself from your friends on your own accord.

No, I got it the impression from your other comments about romance and your misunderstanding of what people are saying. People aren't saying that if Sora and Kairi would get together, they would stop being friends with others. Not one person has said this in this entire thread.

People have said:

1) Kairi has no character worth seeing Sora get with at the moment
2) Turning SoKai into the utmost important bond of the series despite the lack of any SoKai presence (aka it being more than referenced outside of KH1 & KH2) in the series would feel like an attempt at devaluing all other bonds shown in this series because they become the example of what "special" is despite Sora also having a very close friendship with Riku that is special in its own way
3) Kairi should develop independently from Sora before a worthwhile relationship is shown as to not make Kairi more "Sora-centric" than she already is

SoKai is not the healthy relationship you are discussing. They are already a relationship already split apart from their friends. Kairi is always shown pretty much away from Sora's friends, and when she is around those friends she tends to be silent within the script, and only becomes active again in order to talk to or about Sora outside of brief moments with Riku.

Even when interacting with people like Selphie, Hayner, Pence, Olette, and so on, she is always thinking or talking about Sora. This is clearly due to the writing of each game and the fact the series IS very Sora-centric, but nearly every other character has developed beyond just being Sora's [something]. We just cannot say this for Kairi at all.

This is where the doubt spins from. This is why some people do not understand SoKairi and wish to see Kairi grow beyond her current role or to just take a friendship path. SoKairi is a relationship purely driven by being told Kairi is Sora's special person, but then fails to show us outside of brief moments in-between the action and for every moment shared there are plenty more that have been shared between Sora and other characters.

Why are these characters so drawn to each other? What has Sora done for Kairi that he hasn't done for others? What has Kairi done that no other character has been able to do? What is special about them to each other that fuels their crush for each other?

I can't think of any answers to this without having a moment equal to it to compare it to. This doesn't come off as special.

I think if Kairi wasn't dragging down things like she is as an underdeveloped character, these complaints probably would not exist.

Even a brief, fabricated relationship like SoNami was developed so much better than SoKai and still carries its weight in future games much better than SoKai. Heck, Naminé has much more character development than Kairi.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
To help illustrate just how little development, screentime, agency, etc that Kairi gets in the series, I did a quick little tally.

Across seven games, this is roughly how many lines each character in SRK gets in the script~

SORA: 3397
RIKU: 901
KAIRI: 140

In 4/7 games Kairi has no new lines whatsoever.

Last edited:

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
That's an interesting way to put it. You're quite the poet Sephi. :p I could care less for the romance, too. I find the bond between all the characters that they make in order to save their universe much more interesting and beautiful. I think it's wonderful that Sora helps everyone with their problems in every single world, as if each matter counts.

It's less poesy, lol, but rather my experiences on how media stories often work out.
In 90% of the cases it is always main male hero gets together with main female heroine and that relationship is then treated as more important as anything else going on in the work at hand.

I definitely apologize if that came off as diminishing any other dynamic in the game as that certainly wasn't the intention. Eclipse, I think, was the wrong word. What I should have said is that this dynamic stands out because of things that occur right in the game; Kairi's heart goes to Sora upon her losing it and later it is the absence of his memories of her (which are said to be the ones most important to him) that prevent him from waking up because they've gone to Xion. To me, these circumstances symbolize a special bond between the two characters and the same could also be said between Sora and Ventus (by the way, I definitely look forward to those two meeting and dynamic being explored as well)

As far as Sora and Kairi though, highlighting this bond and relationship further doesn't have to diminish or take away from anything else if done correctly. It's okay if you would rather not see that side - or relationships in general - emphasized in the game at all; I would even go as far to say that I'd rather see it not done at all rather than done incorrectly or in bad taste.

Text doesn't always convey intent, but yes, it came off somewhat in this vein. Good to see that clarified.
I can fully agree that there is something of a special dynamic hinted at, although the issue of Kairi's heart going into Sora could be argued with him just being at the right place in the right time. Aqua's spell took care that when she would be in danger, her light would lead her to that of another, which just happened to be the light of Sora and Riku on Destiny Islands.
It were mostly the memories of Kairi that were messed up by Naminé in Chain of Memories to begin with, so of course those were the first Xion could absorb through Roxas.
If you say though that this all symbolizes that Sora and Kairi have a special bond and that the same could be said about his bond with Ventus, I can only wholeheartly agree to this statement. The bonds between Sora and Kairi and between Sora and Ven also have in common that they're pretty pale in presentation when compared to Sora's bond with Riku or even his bonds with Donald and Goofy.

It's funny you mention the bond Sora has with Ventus out of all those he has, which while stated to be one of the closest in the series (metaphysical-wise), is probably also one of the least explored in the whole series as they have so far never even met once in the actual physical world.
It's also amusing Naminé reasserts this in Re: Coded, but neither this game nor even DDD go anywhere with this bond.
Re: Coded said:
Naminé: Yes, two of them, you have met. As for the third...I never realized it, but...you and he share a very special connection.
If we go by the premise that the three closest relationships/bonds Sora has are Ven, Riku and Kairi (in order of when he made them), it is somewhat telling that only one of those is sufficiently explored.

Oh yes, I'm certainly in for highlighting Kairi's bond and relationship with Sora further as well, I just don't see why it has to be the romantic kind of bond.
With this, I will also ask the question out more in general (not just directed at you) as to why specifically his bond to Kairi has to be romantic in nature? Because he's a boy and she's a girl?

Let's imagine a what-if-scenario in which Sora would be a girl, would then his bond to Ventus have to be the romantic one, or the one to Riku?
If everything in the whole series would be the same except Sora being female, would still everyone be gung-ho for Sora/Kairi as a romantic bond or would then Sora/Riku or Sora/Ven the "standard" to go with? Would the "paopu-fruit-drawing", Riku's teasing in KH 1 about sharing the Paopu, the dance-imagination in KH2 have the same effect on shippers (and normal people) if Sora and Kairi would be both girls? Would Sora crying for Riku and getting on his knees in KH 2 seen as less "barf"-like if Sora would be female? Imagine the whole scenario of DDD, including the big hugging-puppy Sora at the end with Sora as a girl.
Wouldn't then the Sora/Riku "proponents" have much more leverage and influence simply because they're opposite genders and Sora/Kairi having less because they would be the same gender, despite all (more or less obvious) hints given out by all games staying the same?
Or turn it around and have Riku and Ventus being girls while Sora stays male, the series still playing out completely the same otherwise, would Sora then be the mega-pimp who has three girls because they all share a special bond with him? Polygamy for the win? Sora has three keyholes for his key...ahem? The dream of nearly every pubescent straight male coming true?
Third possibility, we change Kairi into a boy while Sora, Riku and Ven all stay male too. Now Sora has to be the definite Gaylord of the KH universe right? The Yaoi fangirls would be in seventh heaven and Kairi would probably get extensively less hate in general.
Uh...yea...got carried away a little...

That last sentence is a real good one, mainly because I think almost everyone knows that the writing staff of the KH series is only mediocre at best and I would be more than 70% sure that they would do it incorrectly or in bad taste, thus another reason for why I am wary of the whole issue.

Ditto. I've never given much of a darn for Sora/Kairi, it was too cliched for me and I much prefer Sora and Riku. Although I doubt they'll go in that direction, they're great as bros to me, and Kairi is too uninteresting a character (so far) for me to like the idea of her being paired up with Sora. Also the other bonds between other characters- Axel and Roxas, Roxas and Xion, Terra and Ven, Sora and Riku, Mickey and Ven, and so on- are so much more powerful and impactful, that they make SoKai feel like a high school crush.

You see, while I too don't give a damn about Sora/Kairi as a romantic couple and especially not about the notion some people seem to propagate that Sora should put her over everyone else he loves, I do want to see the relationship between Sora and Kairi becoming equally important as his close relationships to other characters.
Before that though, Kairi has to become a fleshed out character in her own right without any dependence and focus just on Sora.
One of the things that irks me most about Kairi is that while she is a character with potential, she is so goddamn uninvolved with everything that we do not even know something as simple as her opinion on the whole mess that happened throughout the entire series.
The manga may not be canon but Amano included Kairi way better than any of the games ever did, her interactions with Axel in the KH 2 manga are top-notch.
The reason that all these bonds between the other original characters feel so much more powerful is because they actually get attention. Kairi has close to zero actual attention to characters outside Sora and it is somewhat a pity that even the relationship between Mickey and Ven, which had three or four scenes at best, is better fleshed out than anything in regards to Kairi.
We get glimpses of Kairi connecting with Hayner and his gang, but nothing more. In a later scene in Twilight Town Hayner says: "Of course we did. Kairi's our friend, too, ya know.", but we never actually get so see them interact with Kairi in a focused manner.

Well, lol, strictly spoken, the hints towards romantic SoKai can indeed be interpreted as just that, a crush (or an ideal). This is especially noticeable in KH 2.

While I haven't watched Korra in any shape or form, I do know that they did a refreshing change to the usual cliché of main male gets main female in the end.
As far as I know Korra though cannot be completely compared to KH in the romance-department because romance in itself had already a much stronger presence in this series than it has with KH, but I can see where you're coming from by giving this example.
I personally would prefer having Sora not "falling" for any single person in particular at all, as this would fit in much better with Ansem the Wise's assertion of Sora's essence in DDD:
That is a statement to the love in his heart for other people, and the bonds that tie them together.

I understand people do not like romance, that is not what I am talking about. I am talking about the recent discussion that a romance between Sora x Kairi would somehow diminish the other friendships in the game.

Try looking at it from a writing viewpoint and from how romance is handled in fiction in general rather than real life.
Most media which depict romance elements totally do diminish other friendships and other forms of love (or at least push them to the side) to portray the romantic love as THE most important bond and "best" form of love that there is in the respective work at hand and with the dubious quality of KH's writing there is a great chance that KH would go down this route as well.
The only thing that comes somewhat close in the typical cliché writing is blood-related family, which gets also very often superelevated over other relationships. If no romantic love is involved, blood family is often treated as THE most important thing that there is.
The Kingdom Hearts series, for all its flaws, is a rather refreshing departure in this regard as it (so far) keeps romantic love strictly in the ambigious, hinted ballpark while blood family is completely ignored.

FacetiousDreamer

I may very much enjoy some soft-core SoKai, but only as long as this SoKai won’t become something that is blown out of proportion like, for example, romance in every single Spider-man movie (especially in the last one). I’m not against it, as well as I’m not holding my fingers crossed whishing that this is going to happen.

I’ve always imagined that in KHIII we will be able to control Sora, Riku and Kairi as trio, all three are playable, at least at some point in the game, at least in the way it was with Sora and Riku in the end of KHII. And this sentence brings us to what I really want, that is both Sora and Riku being with Kairi.

[video]https://youtu.be/0NDTjD4njb4?t=2m45s[/video]

We all guessing while Nomura is planing to do this:
It’ll be SoSoChi (Sora x Some Chick), KiSoChi (Kairi x Some Chick) and RiSoDu (Riku x Some Dude) in KHIII. And in KHIV we’ll play as SoSoChi’s son/daughter whose best friends are KiSoChi’s foster son and RiSoDu’s foster daughter. Polygyny or polyandry relationship will take place between them. They’ll use their A10 nerves (Evangelion reference) to control a giant Voltron-like robot with power of their undying love to each other.

SephirothZ

You all have brought up good points. Ill concede the debate. :) I still want Sora X Kairi though. I guess I am just optimistic that Nomura can successfully solidify their relationship while developing Kairi as a character.

Awards
A lot of works of fiction handle Friends vs Lovers really poorly, but I don't think we'll see romance eclipsing friendship in Kingdom Hearts, which has the line "The friendship between boys... It almost makes me jealous." and that's kept the hints and focus on SoKai at a minimum in comparison to bonds of friendship. I think even if they get together in one of the games, it'll still just be a thing on the side or a little thing that his friends will tease him about now and again. Since their feelings for each other have been pretty much established, it wouldn't be out of left field if they did get together.

That said, I really am afraid that KH might reduce Kairi to a love interest. She's gotten to do so little and she hasn't built up the bonds that Sora and Riku have. She has Sora, Riku, Selphie, Pluto, and the HOP trio from what we've seen in genuine interactions. You could argue that she's also built a sort of bond with Namine from KH2, but I'm sure that's not going to be explored to the extent of Sora's relationship with Roxas.

A what-if scenario where we change the genders is fun to imagine, particularly for thinking about how different the fans would perceive it, but realistically, if their genders were different, their roles would be, too. Kairi's development as a character (as in, how the writers and such decided who she'd be and what she'd do) isn't divorced from her being a girl, and I think the same could be said for Xion, Namine, and Aqua.

namine_ftw

Like many people here, I would rather have Kairi grow as a character before pairing her in a relationship with Sora. Out of SRK, Kairi is the one that undoubtedly needs the most development. I have nothing against the relationship itself, but I feel it consumes Kairi's character. Every single scene (I think. Please correct me if I'm wrong) Kairi is in always relates back to Sora in some way. She's either talking to Sora, talking about Sora, trying to find Sora, thinking about Sora, etc., etc. Riku and Kairi's interaction with each other is woefully lacking, and I would rather their friendship be developed than for her to have a romance with Sora. In fact, because her relationship with Sora take precedence over her bonds with anyone else, she can come across as uncaring or apathetic towards Riku at times (her introductory scene in KH2 comes to mind).

Honestly, thinking about how underdeveloped Kairi is in-game makes me very annoyed. She's so one-dimensional, which is incredibly frustrating when you take into account how much screen time Sora and Riku had. She has a personality; they just don't do anything with it. They couldn't have had her there in DDD from the start with Mickey, Donald, and Goofy? She couldn't have been given Axel's role? Would that have honestly been so hard?

Amano developed her character far better than Nomura has, and a key reason for that is because he lets Kairi have significant interaction with characters like Axel, HPO, Seifer, Saix, Riku, Demyx. These interactions help flesh out her personality. Before she gets shoved into the love interest role, let's develop her as an individual first.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
OFWJYTz.jpg

On second thought, Yuffie is the only one to get Sora alone in a hotel room ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back