• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What's your opinion about Sora x Kairi?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadia

Do I believe that Sokai is the intended romantic pairing for Sora? Absolutely. The series has been pretty shameless about hammering it in our faces.

Do I believe its a healthy pairing, with mutual development, a solid foundation, thats interesting and entertaining? No.

What do I want to see? Kairi getting her own hero arc as far away from Sora and Riku as possible (she didnt get a place in theirs, so they dont get a place in hers) then time given to re-examine and develop her friendship with Sora and Riku. Then, perhaps KH4 can be crowned with a mutual, happy, healthy OT3 SoRiKai which, yes, includes a romantic Soriku dynamic.

What do I not want to see? This tease get dragged along for another seven games where Kairi is continued to be written out of the series bit by bit.

Awards
What do I want to see? Kairi getting her own hero arc as far away from Sora and Riku as possible (she didnt get a place in theirs, so they dont get a place in hers) then time given to re-examine and develop her friendship with Sora and Riku. Then, perhaps KH4 can be crowned with a mutual, happy, healthy OT3 SoRiKai which, yes, includes a romantic Soriku dynamic.

What do I not want to see? This tease get dragged along for another seven games where Kairi is continued to be written out of the series bit by bit.

It's certainly not unhealthy, and their feelings were heavily implied to exist before KH1, and since original character romance is such a backseat to friendship (since it is a series about friendship), it's not been expanded on in-game very much. But that's beside the point.

I'm all for Kairi getting her own character arc, possibly away from Sora, since it's been well established and shown that she and Sora mutually care for each other, but I think she'd benefit from being together with Riku, since that hasn't been shown as much. (It's clear they care about each other, they just haven't interacted as much as Kairi has with Sora.)

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
Well while replaying KH 2.5 and doing a level 1 run, noted relationship expert Roxas tells Kairi Sora likes her, which quite frankly is all the proof I need.

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
I really like SoKai because it's a very natural relationship, it doesn't feel forced, it's just natural that Sora grew strong feelings for Kairi over time and viceversa, it has been demonstrated in many indirect ways (the whole Namine story, her saying Kairi is Sora's light for example), and some direct ways (like the Roxas quote you guys already mentioned). I feel like this kind of relationship is welcomed in the series, as it's nothing exaggerated but still a very strong bond.
I don't necessarily see myself as a defender of the ship, though. I stick to the canon facts, so, if the word "love" shouldn't be used just yet, Sora and Kairi strongly and truly care about each other, which is an undeniable fact.

I still am of the opinion romance is not the most important thing to look after in KH...3 or KH in general. There is a ridiculous amount of shipping stuff in this fandom, it's like they (the shippers/the ?young? fans?) forget what the series is actually about, do they even play the games anymore? or are they too busy shipping all the ships?
tumblr_inline_mnt8udgUk71qz4rgp.png
I'm sorry, I... LOST MY WAAAYYY *Kill la Kill song starts playing in the background*

SephirothZ

I still am of the opinion romance is not the most important thing to look after in KH...3 or KH in general. There is a ridiculous amount of shipping stuff in this fandom, it's like they (the shippers/the ?young? fans?) forget what the series is actually about, do they even play the games anymore? or are they too busy shipping all the ships?

I dont know if this is the case. People talk about the 'ships when it is brought up in threads like this that are about the relationships. Just because someone wants Kairi and Sora to have a romantic scene or two does not mean they have forgotten the rest of KH. I personally want to see it but there are a lot of things I want to see in KH3, that is just one thing I want.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
I really like SoKai because it's a very natural relationship, it doesn't feel forced, it's just natural that Sora grew strong feelings for Kairi over time and viceversa, it has been demonstrated in many indirect ways (the whole Namine story, her saying Kairi is Sora's light for example), and some direct ways (like the Roxas quote you guys already mentioned).
All of those examples are examples of very forced and unnatural ways to develop a relationship or portray one. It's all other characters simply telling Sora (and others) that this is how they are. Tells Sora that Kairi is the most important person. Tells Sora that Kairi is his light. Has Roxas tell Kairi that Sora likes her. It's all telling and little to no showing (and like no actual active role for Kairi herself in these scenarios. She is a passive presence). A naturally and unforced development of their relationship is not other characters simply telling the player that they are important to each other, it's showing it, primarily through them interacting with each other which hardly ever happens because Kairi isn't allowed to do jack shit in the games.

The series is about bonds and connecting your heart to others, and yeah, that includes romantic bonds. Primarily the stories demonstrating romantic bonds are shown through the Disney characters, while leaving the bonds focusing primarily on friendship to the original characters, but since Sora and Kairi are literally meant to be the KH equivalent to the typical Disney prince/princess kind of story, that's why romantic elements show up in their relationship. It is not the fans' fault for caring about romantic pairings when the game itself cares about them.

Arcadia

It's certainly not unhealthy, and their feelings were heavily implied to exist before KH1, and since original character romance is such a backseat to friendship (since it is a series about friendship), it's not been expanded on in-game very much. But that's beside the point.

I'm all for Kairi getting her own character arc, possibly away from Sora, since it's been well established and shown that she and Sora mutually care for each other, but I think she'd benefit from being together with Riku, since that hasn't been shown as much. (It's clear they care about each other, they just haven't interacted as much as Kairi has with Sora.)

TBH I dont want Riku near her, either.

I'd like to see her go solo, or have a partner like Lea (which could provide some interesting drama and character growth since I REALLY HOPE that somebody is going to make the former Nobodies accountable for their actions). Something different, please. Riku just finished his massive redemption arc, let the guy hang out in the background and take a break from the huge emotional drama. Plus pairing Kairi with someone just a raw and green as she is is far more interesting than tying her to an old hand like Riku.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
All of those examples are examples of very forced and unnatural ways to develop a relationship or portray one. It's all other characters simply telling Sora (and others) that this is how they are. Tells Sora that Kairi is the most important person. Tells Sora that Kairi is his light. Has Roxas tell Kairi that Sora likes her. It's all telling and little to no showing (and like no actual active role for Kairi herself in these scenarios. She is a passive presence). A naturally and unforced development of their relationship is not other characters simply telling the player that they are important to each other, it's showing it, primarily through them interacting with each other which hardly ever happens because Kairi isn't allowed to do jack shit in the games.

Also interesting that pretty much everything post KH1 that involves this love stuff is From Sora to Kairi. Like you mention it's Sora thinking romantically of Kairi, or Sora showing his care to a Kairi substitute in Namine but rarely from the other side. It's mostly due to Kairi getting no screen time but the most I got from Kairi liking Sora was funny enough when she talked to Roxas early on in KH2 lol.

I just feel it's there in the game, but it's mostly something the writers don't really care about much and just write it in because it's easy fluff and fans easily latch onto it.

Awards
I think their parallel scenes at the end of KH1 and KH2 where they look in the cave and find the drawing get their feelings across well, and both times are just Sora or Kairi, so I don't think that comes across as forced. Something in that nature should be fine.

But yeah, we know without much doubt that Sora has strong romantic feelings for Kairi, but it's mostly an assumption that she returns them. We have the aforementioned cave scene in KH1, though.

I'd like to see her go solo, or have a partner like Lea (which could provide some interesting drama and character growth since I REALLY HOPE that somebody is going to make the former Nobodies accountable for their actions). Something different, please. Riku just finished his massive redemption arc, let the guy hang out in the background and take a break from the huge emotional drama. Plus pairing Kairi with someone just a raw and green as she is is far more interesting than tying her to an old hand like Riku.

I'd also like to see Kairi branch out more, but she's not experienced enough to safely go solo. Lea could work, but then again, Lea always has his own agenda, and teaming her up alone with the person who has betrayed every alliance they've had would be risky --although with how everyone seems over Axel's wrongdoings in-game, maybe that won't come up.

It's better to have a greenhorn be with someone experienced enough to make up for their shortcomings than another greenhorn. The blind leading the blind, so to speak. It's a stretch calling Axel a greenhorn, though, since he's done plenty of fighting and traveling, just not with a keyblade.

Kairi's strongest motivation has been her friends, just like with Sora and Riku. In KH1, she was scared to explore the worlds and lose her home again, but she wanted more than anything to stay with her friends. She didn't want to be left behind. Same for KH2. Either staying with her friends or, barring that, wishing them a safe return. Sora's already got Donald and Goofy, so if she can't tag along with Riku and Mickey, I'd at least like a scene at the start between Kairi and Riku before they set off. Riku's arc is done well enough, yes, but his relationship with Kairi still needs some more focus.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Also interesting that pretty much everything post KH1 that involves this love stuff is From Sora to Kairi. Like you mention it's Sora thinking romantically of Kairi, or Sora showing his care to a Kairi substitute in Namine but rarely from the other side. It's mostly due to Kairi getting no screen time but the most I got from Kairi liking Sora was funny enough when she talked to Roxas early on in KH2 lol.

I just feel it's there in the game, but it's mostly something the writers don't really care about much and just write it in because it's easy fluff and fans easily latch onto it.

The only other time I really saw it is when Kairi found Sora and Sora was ashamed of himself, wishing he had gone back for her at the islands, but then she doesn't let him speak and just embraces him. That one scene in particular was really obvious, it's like
tumblr_lmtf7eB5dB1qzrebt.jpg

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com

Well someone has to train them.

Arcadia

I'd also like to see Kairi branch out more, but she's not experienced enough to safely go solo. Lea could work, but then again, Lea always has his own agenda, and teaming her up alone with the person who has betrayed every alliance they've had would be risky --although with how everyone seems over Axel's wrongdoings in-game, maybe that won't come up.

It's better to have a greenhorn be with someone experienced enough to make up for their shortcomings than another greenhorn. The blind leading the blind, so to speak. It's a stretch calling Axel a greenhorn, though, since he's done plenty of fighting and traveling, just not with a keyblade.

Kairi's strongest motivation has been her friends, just like with Sora and Riku. In KH1, she was scared to explore the worlds and lose her home again, but she wanted more than anything to stay with her friends. She didn't want to be left behind. Same for KH2. Either staying with her friends or, barring that, wishing them a safe return. Sora's already got Donald and Goofy, so if she can't tag along with Riku and Mickey, I'd at least like a scene at the start between Kairi and Riku before they set off. Riku's arc is done well enough, yes, but his relationship with Kairi still needs some more focus.

Except it'd be hard to have a situation where Riku wouldn't completely overshadow everything Kairi does.

Boss fight? Riku would be the one doing the most damage, having the strongest spells, all the cool moves he's accumulated so far while Kairi was mastering basic combos.

Talking to other characters? Who do you think they're going to want to talk to? The girl who is still learning to swing her weapon or the experienced, knowledgeable, powerful Keyblade Master who can sling a dozen dark firagas around at once?

Again, Kairi didn't get to have a place in Sora or Riku's character arc, they dont get to have a place in hers. Plus we already know that Riku and Mickey are going to find the Lost Masters.

At least with Lea, he'd have practical experience in combat, but be on Kairi's level as far as fumbling along with learning about the keyblade goes. Their interactions would be fresh, new ground. Their less than pleasant past encounters and Lea's potential status as a loose canon would make for excellent conflict and drama. Kairi - as you've pointed out - has serious catching up to do if she's going to stand on her own in the final battle. The best way for her to make up that ground as quickly as possible is to throw her into the deep end and watch her struggle and rise to the challenge.

Kairi needs to expand her relationships beyond just Sora and Riku. While I agree that her relationship with Riku needs some serious attention, that can happen in the later parts of the game, when its likely that different storylines will converge as everyone gathers for the final battle. It would be more interesting, tbh, for Sora and Riku to have to adjust to the idea of Kairi being a competent fighter on her own terms. It shakes up the dynamic that's been persistent since KH1, and would allow for focus on her friendship with both boys because now everything's different.

Well someone has to train them.

Sora and Riku learned by getting out into the worlds and whacking heartless. Let Kairi cut her teeth the same way while she has her own adventure.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
For the last point, Sora and Riku learned on the job due to necessity rather than that's how keyblade wielder normally learn. Sora had nobody to show him the ropes because Mickey was off doing random stuff. Riku is just a naturally loner and he and Mickey never stuck together much.

As we know right now, there isn't really a storyline reason why Kairi will need to go on her without proper training like TAV got. But I'm sure they can write a scenario where they need all 7 keyblade wielder to go on their separate mission to stop old Nort but as of now I think the mostly likely scenario is Kairi eventually tagging along with Sora or Riku mid way through the story.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Except it'd be hard to have a situation where Riku wouldn't completely overshadow everything Kairi does.

Boss fight? Riku would be the one doing the most damage, having the strongest spells, all the cool moves he's accumulated so far while Kairi was mastering basic combos.

Talking to other characters? Who do you think they're going to want to talk to? The girl who is still learning to swing her weapon or the experienced, knowledgeable, powerful Keyblade Master who can sling a dozen dark firagas around at once?

Again, Kairi didn't get to have a place in Sora or Riku's character arc, they dont get to have a place in hers. Plus we already know that Riku and Mickey are going to find the Lost Masters.

At least with Lea, he'd have practical experience in combat, but be on Kairi's level as far as fumbling along with learning about the keyblade goes. Their interactions would be fresh, new ground. Their less than pleasant past encounters and Lea's potential status as a loose canon would make for excellent conflict and drama. Kairi - as you've pointed out - has serious catching up to do if she's going to stand on her own in the final battle. The best way for her to make up that ground as quickly as possible is to throw her into the deep end and watch her struggle and rise to the challenge.

Kairi needs to expand her relationships beyond just Sora and Riku. While I agree that her relationship with Riku needs some serious attention, that can happen in the later parts of the game, when its likely that different storylines will converge as everyone gathers for the final battle. It would be more interesting, tbh, for Sora and Riku to have to adjust to the idea of Kairi being a competent fighter on her own terms. It shakes up the dynamic that's been persistent since KH1, and would allow for focus on her friendship with both boys because now everything's different.

I made an observation that these characters naturally flesh out during the game if they end up doing enough of what the other characters have previously done. I noticed this when I saw Riku in Dream Drop Distance; without going to these other worlds, as shown in Traverse Town, he had no real experience with the outside world and socializing. Although he certainly had the strength and will of a solid character, it was in this game where I saw him as the main protagonist, not the supporting protagonist. Maybe Kairi can do the same; if she goes around all of these worlds, along with Sora and Riku, maybe we'll see the bond that has been hinted at so much between the three (like I WISH we saw with TAV, but I digress). Plus, Kairi has a ton of potential; even in the one scene where she killed two shadows, she effortlessly swept them off with a fighting style unique to her (even though she held the keyblade weird lol). Maybe she can combine these keyblade skills she'll inevitably gain from Yen Sid's/Merlin's/The Three Good Fairies' training with her princess of heart powers and become one of the most powerful characters in the series? I can't see it as a bad thing traveling with them across the worlds, I can only see that doing good.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Sora and Riku learned by getting out into the worlds and whacking heartless. Let Kairi cut her teeth the same way while she has her own adventure.
Which the series has gone out of its way to say was the incorrect approach. I don't think they'd repeat it now that it's been established as the wrong way to do it. I'm all for Kairi having her own adventure, but it sure isn't going to happen in KH3. Pairing her with Riku makes sense to me, one, because he is a master in need of a pupil, and two, because they are the least developed relationship out of the trio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back