• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What's your opinion about Sora x Kairi?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Larxene012

Banned
^Yet Kairi fell into the most common trope of her sex.
Regardless of trope, her personality shined and continued to shine after being such trope. A regular girl being more than just a regular girl. although regardless of the big trope she shared, its the smaller one that matered, the one Sora cared for most regardless of who she was.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Roxas/Axel cared for Xion, still did her thing. Like I said, why did we settle for Kairi being in the backseat the whole time?

I can't help but feel responsible, because Nomura did listen to feedback(case and point Axel).

EDIT: I totally forgot this was a ship thread! We are so off topic, we should carry this discussion elsewhere.

Awards
Roxas/Axel cared for Xion, still did her thing. Like I said, why did we settle for Kairi being in the backseat the whole time?

I can't help but feel responsible, because Nomura did listen to feedback(case and point Axel).
I really would like Kairi to have some better writing, because as of yet it's been lacking. But Axel was more because he was a fan favorite, not because anything was lacking in his story, so I don't know that the same could've happened for Kairi.

Larxene012

Banned
Xion still had her moments, constantly fainting, and always betraying only to come back and then enver accomplishing anything other than dying for the sake of Roxas.

Kairi being an original character and one of the first introduced, and with a sequel quickly coming in with Riku playable (barely), it suddenly raises expectation that Kairi needs to be playable too....but to me, SRK was never the typical trio people wanted to be, they were the realistic trio that they were, each a different person, and just beause i was able to play as riku in reverse/rebirth, i wasn't thinking about playing as kairi.

SephirothZ

@Absent, I will agree that Kairi's character has been under-developed so far, but we are talking what will happen in KH3. Kairi needs development in KH3, but you and a few others on this site believe the only way she can do that is if she stays away from a deep emotional connection with Sora because it is too "cliche." You can have both, like I said, I highly doubt Sora and Kairi are together for the whole game; in fact, I am worried that they will not be together enough.

I agree with a lot of the things you are saying as it comes to the past games with Kairi, but I am concerned with KH3, the thing we do not know. I think Kairi needs to develop on her, but I also would like to see her develop her relationship with Sora. I expect their relationship to be addressed by the end of KH3, but I dont want it to be rushed and tacted on for the sake of having a relationship. I think Kairi will have much more screen time in this game which will allow her to develop on her own AND her relationship with Sora. If Nomura can do that, I will consider KH3 a major success.

DoctahFaz

Awards
All valid points about Kairi's lack of character development post-KH1 aside, I think there's enough evidence in all the games that people have already listed here that all suggest that Sora and Kairi are destined to end up together. Sure, the series emphasizes friendship overall but the special bond between those two, I feel, largely eclipses the bond between any other characters.

I also recall reading an interview Nomura did shortly after KH3 was unveiled E3 2013 that said that in some ways, KH3 would "grow up" in the same sense that the players who have been with the series since the beginning have. If this goal still holds true, I hope one of those ways mentioned ends up being through Sora and Kairi's relationship. I think there are plenty of ways to do this without it coming off as "cliche" or to diminish any other part of the game.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
All valid points about Kairi's lack of character development post-KH1 aside, I think there's enough evidence in all the games that people have already listed here that all suggest that Sora and Kairi are destined to end up together. Sure, the series emphasizes friendship overall but the special bond between those two, I feel, largely eclipses the bond between any other characters.

I also recall reading an interview Nomura did shortly after KH3 was unveiled E3 2013 that said that in some ways, KH3 would "grow up" in the same sense that the players who have been with the series since the beginning have. If this goal still holds true, I hope one of those ways mentioned ends up being through Sora and Kairi's relationship. I think there are plenty of ways to do this without it coming off as "cliche" or to diminish any other part of the game.

I really hope you're right, DoctahFaz. And not just because I do ship them, or whatever (and tbh, I care much more about seeing their friendship developed--heck, Kairi's friendships with anyone--more than anything else these days), but I need this.

Mainly because if there were a relationship upgrade, or if they just talked about their feelings instead of skirting around the issue, it would finally stop them being so awkward around each other, which...

Is nice and cute for their age group and situation; I get it, I do (as I also went through the, "OMG, I love them, but they're my best friend and I better not wreck the relationship by saying anything" stage), but I really want to see them natural and comfortable with each other: the kinds of best friends they're supposed to be. And I don't think we're going to see that at all until the elephant in the room is finally addressed.

Also, KHIII has a lot of ways that Sora and Kairi could bond, I think. Kairi's a huge target now, so more likely than not Sora's going to be concerned about that. And who knows? He's all ready expressed guilt about what's happened to her through him before, so maybe now he'll finally try to keep good on his promises to protect her (or at least a bit more seriously than he has before)?

Or the complete opposite of that could happen--where Sora just feels awful about everything that's happened to Kairi, and doesn't want it to happen again--but Kairi sets him straight: She lets him know that she doesn't blame him for anything, and that she can handle herself just fine.

There's also the possibility for some friction between the two, because I imagine Sora is going to have to deal with his darkness in this game, and Kairi has none. So that could maybe lead to a wedge between them that needs to be addressed. (Maybe something along the lines of Kairi trying to get Sora to open up about it, so that everyone can understand and try to help him some, to which he'll reply she literally can't understand it.)

Also, things like Sora maybe not wanting her to fight could also add some drama.

If KHIII delivers, we should hopefully have a lot more Sora and Kairi development in the game, which I think is good and very much needed.

I'm especially hoping that we'll see some moments where they're not seeing eye-to-eye with each other, or are maybe angry with each other some, because so far that hasn't happened in canon.

So, yeah: if KHIII develops Sora and Kairi's friendship in such a way, a relationship for them could probably work easily off of that in the future (and not seem as underdeveloped and out of left field as it kind of does now).

...IDK. These are just my two-cents on it all.

Last edited:

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Relationships in reality is complicated, but relationships in fantasy can be oh so simple.

Yes, this is mentioning Sora x Kairi, and yes, this came out of nowhere.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Relationships in reality is complicated, but relationships in fantasy can be oh so simple.

Yes, this is mentioning Sora x Kairi, and yes, this came out of nowhere.

I agree, it's a simple concept. Either like them together or don't. It is more simple in video games, it doesn't have to follow the example that real world people make every day

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
I agree, it's a simple concept. Either like them together or don't. It is more simple in video games, it doesn't have to follow the example that real world people make every day

Ah, the irony. Something so complicated in real life, yet it's the simplest thing in a series that's infamous for being complicated.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
But if Sora and Kairi's relationship was that way, it could probably relate to some gamers.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
I agree with you completely, it could relate to a lot of gamers that way. I think having it either way wouldn't bother me
Speaking of KH relationships, TAV, RAX, SRK, and SDG have fairly simple relationships too. Everything happens outside their relationships than how their relationships are seen, (Maybe with the exception for SDG) and they tell, not show.

Ah, the irony. Something so complicated in real life, yet it's the simplest thing in a series that's infamous for being complicated.
It is ironic indeed. Nomura, I am very surprised with you.

Last edited:

DoctahFaz

Awards
I really hope you're right, DoctahFaz. And not just because I do ship them, or whatever (and tbh, I care much more about seeing their friendship developed--heck, Kairi's friendships with anyone--more than anything else these days), but I need this.

Mainly because if there were a relationship upgrade, or if they just talked about their feelings instead of skirting around the issue, it would finally stop them being so awkward around each other, which...

Is nice and cute for their age group and situation; I get it, I do (as I also went through the, "OMG, I love them, but they're my best friend and I better not wreck the relationship by saying anything" stage), but I really want to see them natural and comfortable with each other: the kinds of best friends they're supposed to be. And I don't think we're going to see that at all until the elephant in the room is finally addressed.

Also, KHIII has a lot of ways that Sora and Kairi could bond, I think. Kairi's a huge target now, so more likely than not Sora's going to be concerned about that. And who knows? He's all ready expressed guilt about what's happened to her through him before, so maybe now he'll finally try to keep good on his promises to protect her (or at least a bit more seriously than he has before)?

Or the complete opposite of that could happen--where Sora just feels awful about everything that's happened to Kairi, and doesn't want it to happen again--but Kairi sets him straight: She lets him know that she doesn't blame him for anything, and that she can handle herself just fine.

There's also the possibility for some friction between the two, because I imagine Sora is going to have to deal with his darkness in this game, and Kairi has none. So that could maybe lead to a wedge between them that needs to be addressed. (Maybe something along the lines of Kairi trying to get Sora to open up about it, so that everyone can understand and try to help him some, to which he'll reply she literally can't understand it.)

Also, things like Sora maybe not wanting her to fight could also add some drama.

If KHIII delivers, we should hopefully have a lot more Sora and Kairi development in the game, which I think is good and very much needed.

I'm especially hoping that we'll see some moments where they're not seeing eye-to-eye with each other, or are maybe angry with each other some, because so far that hasn't happened in canon.

So, yeah: if KHIII develops Sora and Kairi's friendship in such a way, a relationship for them could probably work easily off of that in the future (and not seem as underdeveloped and out of left field as it kind of does now).

...IDK. These are just my two-cents on it all.

The potential is certainly there. Kairi could only have done so much being on the islands during most of the series' plot so far. Now she's being trained to wield the keyblade and, as a result, besides being a POH, she is now another potential GoL as well. That makes her particularly important and I can certainly imagine scenes with Sora either teaching her how to get used to the keyblade or being extra protective of her because of that dual-role she has.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Speaking of KH relationships, TAV, RAX, SRK, and SDG have fairly simple relationships too. Everything happens outside their relationships than how their relationships are seen, (Maybe with the exception for SDG) and they tell, not show.

Yeah, that's the thing; aside from 358/2 days, which focuses heavily on RAX's relationship, the games aren't focused entirely on these friends. Many of the times, the driving force in these games is the fact that their friends are counting on them to succeed. The driving force for Sora in KHII was finding Riku and Kairi, finding Kairi in KH, TAV finding each other in BBS, and living for your friends in Days. The issue with this is just that we weren't given a whole bunch of backstory on their actual relationship outside of potential danger. Plus, now that Kairi is going to be aloud to be with Sora and Riku a lot more, she'll probably grow a lot closer with them, even closer than she already is.

Plus, have you noticed that characters like Riku and Kairi don't seem to be as fleshed out until you see them everywhere? It was when I was watching the DDD cutscenes and seeing Riku look somewhat out of place talking to people in Traverse Town that I realized that this usually wasn't his thing; now that Riku had that experience of traveling the worlds and saving them, like Sora, he seems to be more of a character than he was before (although I still really like old Riku). Maybe with Kairi it will be similar

P.S. it's probably a good thing that they didn't spend a buttload of time watching TAV interacting with each other. I don't like how they show so little time to begin with, but I also wanted to play a game, not watch an interactive movie.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Yeah, that's the thing; aside from 358/2 days, which focuses heavily on RAX's relationship, the games aren't focused entirely on these friends. Many of the times, the driving force in these games is the fact that their friends are counting on them to succeed. The driving force for Sora in KHII was finding Riku and Kairi, finding Kairi in KH, TAV finding each other in BBS, and living for your friends in Days. The issue with this is just that we weren't given a whole bunch of backstory on their actual relationship outside of potential danger. Plus, now that Kairi is going to be aloud to be with Sora and Riku a lot more, she'll probably grow a lot closer with them, even closer than she already is.

Plus, have you noticed that characters like Riku and Kairi don't seem to be as fleshed out until you see them everywhere? It was when I was watching the DDD cutscenes and seeing Riku look somewhat out of place talking to people in Traverse Town that I realized that this usually wasn't his thing; now that Riku had that experience of traveling the worlds and saving them, like Sora, he seems to be more of a character than he was before (although I still really like old Riku). Maybe with Kairi it will be similar

P.S. it's probably a good thing that they didn't spend a buttload of time watching TAV interacting with each other. I don't like how they show so little time to begin with, but I also wanted to play a game, not watch an interactive movie.
There is a chance.

And have more character development than she already has.

That.... is a good point.

Maybe it's a good and bad thing that they have simple relationships.

SephirothZ

Is nice and cute for their age group and situation; I get it, I do (as I also went through the, "OMG, I love them, but they're my best friend and I better not wreck the relationship by saying anything" stage)

You are a female, you should have just gone up to him and said how you feel. What guy says "No" in that situation. :p

I would love to see this as well. I dont think this would fall under the cliche romantic prize for Sora. :)

I guess I just want to see a plethora of different kinds of scenes between Sora and Kairi because we have very few with them together.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com

...I personally feel like BbS could have benefited by showing more between the three. I don't know how, as you're right about us needing to play a game and not just watch cutscenes, but it all seemed really forced to me. Especially since Ven and Terra sort of get antagonistic about Aqua later on in the game, which almost makes it seem like they aren't very good friends with her to begin with? IDK.

Completely agree about the Riku thing, and I'm hoping other characters get that kind of treatment in the future. So far, it all seems like the Sora show, kind of, and that everyone else is just side characters in that. With Riku in DDD, however, we finally got this feeling that it is still Sora's story--that's true--but that Riku's still very much a part of the world and active in it, too. It also just really helped to have him great character development:)

As to your comment, BufferAndLoad. I think it is both a good and bad thing. I like the idea that Nomura is trying to show how "the ones who love us never really leave us"--as Sirius Black would say--but without proper development, it does all fall flat sometimes.

But unfortunately, looking for friends has been the formula of this series from day one, and because of that it makes it near impossible to develop some of the relationships.

That's why I'm really hoping KHIII might finally deliver on the Sora, Riku, and Kairi stuff, as for once they're not looking for each other but other people. It would be a prime time to develop their friendship that way, I think, but we'll see, I guess.

And if that does end up happening, I hope the next Saga will take a leaf out of III's book, by not having us always looking for the same friends, or something.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
...I personally feel like BbS could have benefited by showing more between the three. I don't know how, as you're right about us needing to play a game and not just watch cutscenes, but it all seemed really forced to me. Especially since Ven and Terra sort of get antagonistic about Aqua later on in the game, which almost makes it seem like they aren't very good friends with her to begin with? IDK.

I agree on this too; in fact, that was the one part of Aqua's story that I felt that was the most forced. I pretty much completely agree with you on the development part; the only development that made any characters seem friends was Ven and Terra. But I'm glad you also see how I don't want a game with only cutscenes, but yeah, something else would have been nice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back