• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What this world could come to.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Atomsk

Before any thought of permanent colonization of other planets can become reality we would need move on to a "Type II" civilization, once humanity gains the power to efficiently harness the power of the sun, and created some form of efficient means of space travel, we will have essentially become immortal. Colonization of other planets is our species only hope for survival in the long run.

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member
People always jump straight to space exploration when we haven't even considered the vast expanse of land covered by the ocean. If we can hope to design a vehicle that can carry us lightyears away to hunt for potential habitable planets, a hunt which may or may not be met with success, we can definitely consider enhancing our ability to continue living on a planet we know will sustain life. Build underwater biomes and harness the energy from geothermal vents; it's as farfetched as, if not less than, hoping to find Earth the Second and reaching it.

D

Deleted member 36435

People always jump straight to space exploration when we haven't even considered the vast expanse of land covered by the ocean. If we can hope to design a vehicle that can carry us lightyears away to hunt for potential habitable planets, a hunt which may or may not be met with success, we can definitely consider enhancing our ability to continue living on a planet we know will sustain life. Build underwater biomes and harness the energy from geothermal vents; it's as farfetched as, if not less than, hoping to find Earth the Second and reaching it.
The amount of pressure underwater makes this a ridiculous feat.

D

Deleted member 36435

But you'd still get crushed by the pressure of the ocean and move super slow in space. ;~;

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member
The amount of pressure underwater makes this a ridiculous feat.

And transporting the entire human race lightyears away to hunt for habitable planets is perfectly reasonable. This is before you even take into account how unadapted our immune systems are to fight extraterrestrial pathogens.

Ulti

hurr hurr hurr
Awards
So instead of it getting hot it gets bloody cold.

Live underground much?

I'm not sure if I should take offense or not here so I'll just leave this for you to explain.

I'm damn sure Earth will reject us at some point. We're an adaptable species, but currently I do not see our kind living out forever.

D

Deleted member 36435

And transporting the entire human race lightyears away to hunt for habitable planets is perfectly reasonable. This is before you even take into account how unadapted our immune systems are to fight extraterrestrial pathogens.
Yes, it totally is. It's also much cooler and that is all that matters.
Despite that, we eventually will have to go to space.

By whose estimation?
Far as I recall, it's set back about 250,000
Anatomically modern-appearing humans originated in Africa about 200,000 years ago, reaching full behavioral modernity around 50,000 years ago.[6]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member
Yes, it totally is. It's also much cooler and that is all that matters.

Yes, going distances infinitely farther than our species has ever travelled, surrounded by a perfect vacuum with no food supply apart from what we carry onboard, to be wiped out by an alien disease when we touch down, assuming we even make it through the journey, sounds absolutely riveting.

D

Deleted member 36435

Yes, going distances infinitely farther than our species has ever travelled, surrounded by a perfect vacuum with no food supply apart from what we carry onboard, to be wiped out by an alien disease when we touch down, assuming we even make it through the journey, sounds absolutely riveting.
It does, but of course you are assuming we are just going to go to a planet and park our asses down as soon as we see it.

Ulti

hurr hurr hurr
Awards
It does, but of course you are assuming we are just going to go to a planet and park our asses down as soon as we see it.

Not exactly as easy as it sounds. The closest Earth like planet is quite the distance away. We'd need the tech to get a craft out there, with humans inside, to see how it actually is like on the surface. Then we need large space crafts to carry more and more humans on board. That would mean making sure everyone is able to be able to get into space. That is actually pretty effing difficult in itself. Astronauts don't go through insane tests for shits and giggles. Getting a bunch of humans into space is pretty damn hard if no one is fit to go into space.

Then, of course, if you can survive on a planet there is a likely chance something is already alive there. Pretty sure those creatures, if they have sentience, wouldn't like to have a bunch of strange creatures suddenly wanting to make their home planet as a sub home.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
I'm not sure if I should take offense or not here so I'll just leave this for you to explain.

I'm damn sure Earth will reject us at some point. We're an adaptable species, but currently I do not see our kind living out forever.

Missy Ulti, when the Earth freezes over, according to Orion, more than likely it's either attempt to be the literal dumbass and die from exposure to the elements on the surface, or building underground colonies. Sure, it wouldn't be pretty, but in all hypothetical thought process, it's the most logical. .

In regards to space exploration -> Good Luck. First we have to send probes and robots to the planet we plan to land on, which in themselves will take years. After they finally get back with the data, then even more years later we'll send humans to the planet. Unfortunately, they will probably die in some form or another on the trip there, due to the distance -> procreation might not even work in regards to this.

Alaude Drenxta

\+The Devil's+/ .{Advocate}.
I think a few people here are assuming that we have to do it all right now, with the technology we currently have, for it to make any difference. We should, by all rights, have at least another 100,000 years before this planet is unlivable, based on any projected scenario. Assuming our species survives that long, it is completely closed-minded, and honestly intellectually irresponsible, to assume that by that time we would be incapable of deep-space travel.

Lord Atomsk

I think a few people here are assuming that we have to do it all right now, with the technology we currently have, for it to make any difference. We should, by all rights, have at least another 100,000 years before this planet is unlivable, based on any projected scenario. Assuming our species survives that long, it is completely closed-minded, and honestly intellectually irresponsible, to assume that by that time we would be incapable of deep-space travel.

Thank you!

Silverslide

need some more candy cane
Unless our dumbass world leaders decide to end us early by nuking everything that disagrees with them, a 2nd Ice age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back