• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What this world could come to.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 36435

Not exactly as easy as it sounds. The closest Earth like planet is quite the distance away. We'd need the tech to get a craft out there, with humans inside, to see how it actually is like on the surface. Then we need large space crafts to carry more and more humans on board. That would mean making sure everyone is able to be able to get into space. That is actually pretty effing difficult in itself. Astronauts don't go through insane tests for shits and giggles. Getting a bunch of humans into space is pretty damn hard if no one is fit to go into space.

Then, of course, if you can survive on a planet there is a likely chance something is already alive there. Pretty sure those creatures, if they have sentience, wouldn't like to have a bunch of strange creatures suddenly wanting to make their home planet as a sub home.
Exactly, what I am saying.
He is making it sound as if we are just going to find a planet and just starting walking on it.
Of course it is going to take a lot of effort to get to another planet but with one like Mars nearby and uninhabited, it isn't quite unlikely.

Alaude Drenxta

\+The Devil's+/ .{Advocate}.
It will. Look into bio-dome research. There have been a few failures, but it is well on its way to becoming the next big thing.

Hell, we're nearly ready to start growing meat. Life on other planets is looking more and more viable every decade or so.

Ulti

hurr hurr hurr
Awards
Missy Ulti, when the Earth freezes over, according to Orion, more than likely it's either attempt to be the literal dumbass and die from exposure to the elements on the surface, or building underground colonies. Sure, it wouldn't be pretty, but in all hypothetical thought process, it's the most logical.

Actually, living underground would be a dumbass choice too. It would be fucking cold under dirt and the main problem that every plant and animal is dead would persist. We are dying either way.

All the tech in the world doesn't mean that all humans will suddenly adapt to space travel.

lasersquash

Sitting on a comfy chair in front of a fireplace ,
Actually, living underground would be a dumbass choice too. It would be fucking cold under dirt and the main problem that every plant and animal is dead would persist. We are dying either way.

All the tech in the world doesn't mean that all humans will suddenly adapt to space travel.

Just train everyone with fallout, lost planet, dead space, and the sly collection. And where golden.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards

Compared to the surface it's warmer underground. Even then, forms of insulation or heating/air could be implemented. Solar panels could be set up, power generators based off of hydroelectricity, heat lamps to ensure proper temperature for plant growth. . . .

Space travel at this time isn't feasible when put next to Hobbit-Life.

Ulti

hurr hurr hurr
Awards
Compared to the surface it's warmer underground. Even then, forms of insulation or heating/air could be implemented. Solar panels could be set up, power generators based off of hydroelectricity, heat lamps to ensure proper temperature for plant growth. . . .

Space travel at this time isn't feasible when put next to Hobbit-Life.

Then you'd have to be expecting the Earth to become an ice ball WAY WAY WAY before then. Also, no oxygen, no fresh water, plant life needs the actual sun to flourish, oxygen levels would be low, and a whole lot of crap. Underground living is something we were never meant to do.

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member
Exactly, what I am saying.
It's also much cooler and that is all that matters.
Not exactly.

Of course it is going to take a lot of effort to get to another planet but with one like Mars nearby and uninhabited, it isn't quite unlikely.

If we're not even going to bother scouting for planets with an atmosphere like Earth's, why disembark at all? Why not just have spaceships that double as our bio-dome?

very differentiable
Awards
Mankind will go extinct here on earth, no doubt. It's might seem not seem space travel is unfeasable, but it is. The nearest star is 4 light years away, quite the distance. Stellar travel is pretty much impossible. Now consider the fact that habitable planets areen't even near our star system, the distance multiplies x-fold, therefore making it pretty much impossible.

The primary problem are the very limited speed at which we can travel, since spacecraft is massive because of all the technology needed for it. We can barely approach c, let alone a quarter of it, and i doubt we will in the foreseeable future. Warpt travel (compressing and stretching the dimensions at will) i too deem unrealistic. We only recently discovered the nature of the universe (and only on a macroscopic scale, which isn't enough). Being able to manipulate it is also extremely far away, if it would eventually become possible anyway, which is doubtfull too.

We've been living this way for too long and are reacting to the facts. Our only hope is population reduction, how grim that may seem. We must also swicth to solar energy (one of the few i see as feasable) and nuclear fusion in the near future, and nuclear fission until we have the technology available. Mass space travel will most likely become possible, but only in a few billion years, maybe even just before the sun is at it's end and will scorch the earth.

D

Deleted member 36435

Not exactly.

If we're not even going to bother scouting for planets with an atmosphere like Earth's, why disembark at all? Why not just have spaceships that double as our bio-dome?
Because a spaceship is an incredibly small living space and have millions of them floating around is inefficient?

It's also much cooler and that is all that matters.
If you took that seriously you are stupid.

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member
Because a spaceship is an incredibly small living space and have millions of them floating around is inefficient?

If we disembark on Mars, or any other planet without a life-sustaining atmosphere, our living space is confined to the bio-dome. I don't see how grounding bio-domes on a planet we know will not sustain life is more efficient than having them continue to float in search for a planet that will.

Alaude Drenxta

Bio-domes are where it's at. =/

Also, you all seem to be arguing that the first and only reason we would leave Earth is because it is dead and dried of resources. Do you really think we would wait until the very last minute? People will be launched into space for probing, exploration, study and testing long before we ever enact a mass exodus. It's a very arrogant and small-minded argument going on here.

Also, if bio-domes were perfectly useful, then if the earth gets destroyed by human means or natural, mars will serve perfectly well intermediately.

very differentiable
Awards
Not arrogant, it's reality. If man wants to survive, he will have to leave eventually, and the problem is getting to a star system with a habitable planet. We have no means to do so now or in the foreseeable future. It'll take quite a while before we will tracel past our own solar system and it takes even longer until we have the means to actually go in search of a new home planet.

Alaude Drenxta

Yet if we continue the way we're going, we could live for extended periods on space stations. The time is there, and with a species on the brink of extinction, you'd be surprised what we are capable of. Our biggest problem right now is money. I doubt money will be too important when the world starts to fall apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back