• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Traverse Town Tabloids #4: Square Enix Finally Gets it Right – Difficulty Returns to Kingdom Hearts

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey

dick to a lot of people
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Time for another round of the Traverse Town Tabloids! So this time, I'm basically hyping the upcoming release of Days, and why you should be pumped!

Previous Tabloids
TTT #1: Is Nintendo Banking on the Success of Kingdom Hearts? [Link Here]
TTT#2: Sales Age: Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days - A Japanese Success? (Link Here)
TTT#3: Why Birth by Sleep is the Next Real Mainline Kingdom Hearts Title - and Probably the Best to Date! [Link Here]

Square Enix Finally Gets it Right – Difficulty Returns to Kingdom Hearts Series with 358/2 Days

Critics and fans generally agree that the Kingdom Hearts Series has been on a rocky slope when it comes to quality. Although the game has always excelled in top notch presentation, production values, and captivating graphics and sounds, it tended to split audiences with its simple, but ever changing battle system, that was constantly riddled with problems no matter what fixes were applied. The overwhelming desire of the series creators to address fan concerns has, up to this point, led to a decline in series difficulty We can take a look at the progression and development of the series as a whole to understand just how this came to be.

The first Kingdom Hearts had a lot going for it – the battle system, while simple in theory, had some hidden depth that rewarded strategy and skill. Players were forced to use magic attacks and summon abilities in tricky ways, almost like puzzles, in order to succeed in the game’s battle system as well as make it through its tricky Disney themed environments. The title however had a few problems – a messy, wonky camera and a battle system that lent itself to button mashing, particularly in easier fights.

In order to resolve this, the creators added lots of subsystems to diversify the gameplay – special time and context sensitive abilities activated by a separate button, different forms for Sora to transform into, as well as diversified events and missions for which battles take place in. To solve the camera issue the designers panned the camera outward and designed much “flatter” looking worlds, eliminating the possibility of the camera being stuck behind a wall or underneath a corner.

To long time fans, this has an extremely negative impact. The new worlds, while graphically upgraded, were designed with much less appeal – the worlds lost their sense of exploration and secret, and instead became extremely linear. No hidden paths, no platforming, no far off treasure hunting. On the battle end of the spectrum, all the added systems made Sora extremely overpowered. Sadly, enemies did not receive the same treatment. This completely eradicated any sense of difficulty or strategy that the game had, turning it into even more of a button masher. Where before you’d have to jump, dodge, run, roll, go into your menu, select a magic spell, then attack away, now you could simply rush up to the enemy and attack consistently, with the occasional time sensitive button press here or there. Even Kingdom Hearts 2’s hardest difficulty setting, Proud Mode, felt extremely lack luster and ridiculously easy.

Well have no doubt ever loyal fans, it looks like these issues have been resolved with 358/2 Days! Unlike its predecessors, Days resolves and combines many of the features of its predecessors. Platforming returns, but this time less mind numbing but just as adventurous in scope. The gameplay feels as smooth and as Kingdom Hearts 2, but as full of depth as the first – combos are much more important. Magic becomes a limited, but essential must, as the game’s new magic system makes when and how you use your spells essential to success. Those who have played the Japanese version describe this as the hardest Kingdom Hearts title to date, with this game’s Standard Mode (Medium Difficulty), being rougher then Kingdom Hearts 2’s Proud Mode. That’s quite a leap in difficulty! The game goes even further by allowing players to make the game as easy or rough as they like – players don’t just gain levels, they have to choose to equip them in a new panel system. And with even harder side missions to try out, and multiple characters to choose from to play as, 358/2 Days gets everything right that its predecessors got wrong.

Get ready for quite an adventure with Roxas!

------

Revamped difficulty is just a start!

Awards
More or less disagree with the premise of this article.

Players were forced to use magic attacks and summon abilities in tricky ways, almost like puzzles, in order to succeed in the game’s battle system as well as make it through its tricky Disney themed environments.
I think you're giving it too much credit.
The only time I used magic besides Heal a decent amount were in situations where it was required, such as fighting the Phantom. KH2 really doesn't downgrade magic implementation at all, it just has the same useless formula of including several magic-based scenarios (such as the Grim Reaper). Really, then, magic didn't get worse, it's just always been fairly bad.

And summons? Tinker Bell, that's it.

To solve the camera issue the designers panned the camera outward and designed much “flatter” looking worlds, eliminating the possibility of the camera being stuck behind a wall or underneath a corner.

I recall the whole flattening/linearization coming about due to the critics griping about how the worlds weren't "user friendly."

The camera just had shitty mechanics on its own.

To long time fans, this has an extremely negative impact. The new worlds, while graphically upgraded, were designed with much less appeal – the worlds lost their sense of exploration and secret, and instead became extremely linear. No hidden paths, no platforming, no far off treasure hunting. On the battle end of the spectrum, all the added systems made Sora extremely overpowered. Sadly, enemies did not receive the same treatment. This completely eradicated any sense of difficulty or strategy that the game had, turning it into even more of a button masher. Where before you’d have to jump, dodge, run, roll, go into your menu, select a magic spell, then attack away, now you could simply rush up to the enemy and attack consistently, with the occasional time sensitive button press here or there. Even Kingdom Hearts 2’s hardest difficulty setting, Proud Mode, felt extremely lack luster and ridiculously easy.

Honestly, though, there isn't as much of a gap between KH2's difficulty and KH1's as most people exaggerate it to be. Don't get me wrong, KH2 was undoubtedly easier than KH1. At most, though, I would consider KH2's Proud to be on par with KH1's Normal. It's still the same concept of learning the enemy's attack pattern, dodging/blocking when they attack, and performing combos.

For people that don't believe me, go back and play KH1. Most often when people glorify its difficulty, I find that they haven't played it in years. Your impression can change when, you know, you're actually better at video games.

And, really, there's nothing to speak of as far as a supposed "decline" in the difficulty for the series.
KH1 was moderate.
CoM, I would argue, was the toughest.
and KH2 was easier.

One game doesn't really constitute a decline in the entire series. There is no consistent drop in difficulty. And they were never that difficult to begin with.

Judging by the impressions we had from Nomura on BbS's difficulty, don't expect this higher difficulty to stay long. Really, there is no pattern in difficulty when we look at the games we've had so far. So, why people are lamenting over this is beyond me. Difficulty is exclusive to each game, and varies with each.

Well have no doubt ever loyal fans, it looks like these issues have been resolved with 358/2 Days! Unlike its predecessors, Days resolves and combines many of the features of its predecessors. Platforming returns, but this time less mind numbing but just as adventurous in scope.

Didn't think KH1's platforming was mind numbing.

Those who have played the Japanese version describe this as the hardest Kingdom Hearts title to date, with this game’s Standard Mode (Medium Difficulty), being rougher then Kingdom Hearts 2’s Proud Mode. That’s quite a leap in difficulty!

It's a shallow difficulty, though, suffering from what I call "CoM syndrome."
CoM had enemies with jacked up HP. They had a lot, and Sora didn't do much damage.

It makes the game more difficult, true, but superficially. As a consequence, the battles become ridiculously tedious and sluggish, essentially zapping the fun right out of them. Re:CoM, while I would say it didn't have the greatest transition from 2D to 3D, had far more enjoyable battles as I see it. So, we should also keep in mind that more difficult doesn't mean it's better.

KH2FM is a testament to the idea that all you need for more difficulty is a tweaking in health/damage. Except, unlike CoM and Days, it actually needed that tweaking. Compare Level 1 Critical Mode to Proud Mode.

If you really want a legitimately tougher game, then the developers ought to go full force. Don't just jack enemy health or increase damage, make them less predictable with attacks that are harder to escape and counter.

Monkey

dick to a lot of people
Awards
Website
twitter.com
dont have time to reply to all of the statements as im about to go to bed, ill tackle a few, but the general point of these articles is to stimulate real debate of the series by presenting very outrageous views, so im glad to see your response grace =]

I think you're giving it too much credit.
The only time I used magic besides Heal a decent amount were in situations where it was required, such as fighting the Phantom. KH2 really doesn't downgrade magic implementation at all, it just has the same useless formula of including several magic-based scenarios (such as the Grim Reaper). Really, then, magic didn't get worse, it's just always been fairly bad.

And summons? Tinker Bell, that's it.

Err, your missing the point in that you absolutely needed magic to progress, you had to light up candles with fireballs in wonderland, use thunder to get platforms moving in hallowbastion, etc etc. Perhaps it would have been better if I sad creative platforming and puzzles were lost.

I recall the whole flattening/linearization coming about due to the critics griping about how the worlds weren't "user friendly."

Which is my point, because of complaints of specifics aspects of the first, KH2 changed a few things gameplay design wise, but instead of fixing the issues, it bought upon new ones.

Didn't think KH1's platforming was mind numbing.

But, you yourself state that many thought it was not user friendly. And we can both agree that Kh2 lacked serious platforming. 358 will have a balance of both.

Awards
Err, your missing the point in that you absolutely needed magic to progress, you had to light up candles with fireballs in wonderland, use thunder to get platforms moving in hallowbastion, etc etc. Perhaps it would have been better if I sad creative platforming and puzzles were lost.
And I understand what you're saying but, regardless, if we're actually talking about a well implemented magic system, it needs to take a much bigger step up than KH1. We should have to be using magic on a consistent basis in battle, not using it as a requirement in the occasional gimmick.

Which is my point, because of complaints of specifics aspects of the first, KH2 changed a few things gameplay design wise, but instead of fixing the issues, it bought upon new ones.
You had said they changed the environments to suit the camera, but when they refer to a lack of user friendliness it is, in actuality, talking about the supposedly confusing layouts, such as Wonderland, Monstro, and Hollow Bastion.

So the flattening had nothing to do with the camera, really.

But, you yourself state that many thought it was not user friendly. And we can both agree that Kh2 lacked serious platforming. 358 will have a balance of both.
Yes, "many" thought it wasn't user friendly, I am among those that don't care.
If a ten year old is having difficulty navigating a world, tough luck.
I enjoyed the lack of "user friendliness" (at least as far as the layouts went), as it added to the challenge.

So, to me, there really isn't any balance Days needed to strike between KH1 and KH2.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Don't know why it said 'finally' because KH only really truly didn't have it only once...

Monkey

dick to a lot of people
Awards
Website
twitter.com
And I understand what you're saying but, regardless, if we're actually talking about a well implemented magic system, it needs to take a much bigger step up than KH1. We should have to be using magic on a consistent basis in battle, not using it as a requirement in the occasional gimmick.

But its a step back in the right direction.

You had said they changed the environments to suit the camera, but when they refer to a lack of user friendliness it is, in actuality, talking about the supposedly confusing layouts, such as Wonderland, Monstro, and Hollow Bastion.

So the flattening had nothing to do with the camera, really.

Those confusing layouts however, are not a complaint of everyone. For example, you and I can agree that those confusing layouts actually gave the platforming some depth and puzzles some strategy. The thing is, these things were eliminated for the worse. Days resembles 1 in substance, but 2 in style.

So, to me, there really isn't any balance Days needed to strike between KH1 and KH2.

But it did. Doesn't matter if you thought it needed it or not.

Awards
But its a step back in the right direction.

Not really. Magic requirements outside of battle are gimmicky. Whether you're performing magic on flowers in Wonderland (KH1), or using magic in a trial against a doppler Jafar (KH2), they're just stunts thrown in there to show off magic when it is largely unimportant elsewhere.

Give me a battle system where you need to consistently fall back on specific magic.

Those confusing layouts however, are not a complaint of everyone. For example, you and I can agree that those confusing layouts actually gave the platforming some depth and puzzles some strategy. The thing is, these things were eliminated for the worse. Days resembles 1 in substance, but 2 in style.

Platforming returns, but this time less mind numbing but just as adventurous in scope.

So you enjoyed the KH1 layout more or not? Because I wouldn't consider "mind numbing" a nice way of describing it.

But it did. Doesn't matter if you thought it needed it or not.

What I can't have an opinion on the matter?

Monkey

dick to a lot of people
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Give me a battle system where you need to consistently fall back on specific magic.

Uhh, good games? Final Fantasy?

So you enjoyed the KH1 layout more or not? Because I wouldn't consider "mind numbing" a nice way of describing it.

Note, as an editorialist, I'm not necessarily expressing my own views, I was simply describing a viewpoint of a certain set of the KH audience.

What I can't have an opinion on the matter?

Of course you can have an opinion, but you were stating your opinion as if it could change facts.

Awards
Uhh, good games? Final Fantasy?
No, Kingdom Hearts is not Final Fantasy, I'm not looking for the citation of other games that implement magic well.

The battle system doesn't need to be uprooted. Keep the real time and the general layout of the HUD.
But they need to find a way, as I've said, to make magic more of a necessity than an option that you hardly use.

Note, as an editorialist, I'm not necessarily expressing my own views, I was simply describing a viewpoint of a certain set of the KH audience.
Not sure why you care to defend it then.

Of course you can have an opinion, but you were stating your opinion as if it could change facts.

"So, to me, there really isn't any balance Days needed to strike between KH1 and KH2."

?

Monkey

dick to a lot of people
Awards
Website
twitter.com
No, Kingdom Hearts is not Final Fantasy, I'm not looking for the citation of other games that implement magic well.

I thought you were asking me for games that had good magic systems.

Not sure why you care to defend it then.

In what way? These articles generally tend to criticize specific aspects of the series.

"So, to me, there really isn't any balance Days needed to strike between KH1 and KH2."

That's fine, but it does nonetheless.

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
hmm when it comes to magic, i think chain of memories had it fairly balanced and useful than any other game.

Teiku 5

Something About, Baby, You and I...
Website
www.facebook.com
The first Kingdom Hearts had a lot going for it – the battle system, while simple in theory, had some hidden depth that rewarded strategy and skill. Players were forced to use magic attacks and summon abilities in tricky ways, almost like puzzles, in order to succeed in the game’s battle system as well as make it through its tricky Disney themed environments. The title however had a few problems – a messy, wonky camera and a battle system that lent itself to button mashing, particularly in easier fights.

as said before, the magic was only forced at some small points. for magic to be important overall, it has to have a point either constantly in exploration or often enough in battle. the only major time i used magic was cure (obviously), the Phantom, and the little flying magic family (red nocturne, blue rhapsody, yellow opera) so i could knock a group out relatively faster.

and i have never understood people's problems with the KH camera. if you all really have that big of a problem using shoulder buttons, then maybe you just need to practice.

Well have no doubt ever loyal fans, it looks like these issues have been resolved with 358/2 Days! Unlike its predecessors, Days resolves and combines many of the features of its predecessors. Platforming returns, but this time less mind numbing but just as adventurous in scope. The gameplay feels as smooth and as Kingdom Hearts 2, but as full of depth as the first – combos are much more important. Magic becomes a limited, but essential must, as the game’s new magic system makes when and how you use your spells essential to success. Those who have played the Japanese version describe this as the hardest Kingdom Hearts title to date, with this game’s Standard Mode (Medium Difficulty), being rougher then Kingdom Hearts 2’s Proud Mode. That’s quite a leap in difficulty! The game goes even further by allowing players to make the game as easy or rough as they like – players don’t just gain levels, they have to choose to equip them in a new panel system. And with even harder side missions to try out, and multiple characters to choose from to play as, 358/2 Days gets everything right that its predecessors got wrong.

sounds promising. hopefully everyone (including myself lol) will like it.

Norpthalomus

It's better than drinking alone
Awards
Website
ultimumrome.tumblr.com
I just hope the worlds themselves feel more like the worlds in KHI. That was the best game in the series, it's a shame KHII was so much easier. Regardless on how hard this new game will be, I'm thinking I'm going to set it on the Hard Difficulty. I'm hopeful that this game will live up to my expectations, and it's looking like it will. I'm loving how there are hundreds of missions.

A

Azrael

I just hope the worlds themselves feel more like the worlds in KHI. That was the best game in the series, it's a shame KHII was so much easier. Regardless on how hard this new game will be, I'm thinking I'm going to set it on the Hard Difficulty. I'm hopeful that this game will live up to my expectations, and it's looking like it will. I'm loving how there are hundreds of missions.

Hopefully the gameplay will be as good as the story

oh wait story sucks balls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back