• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Official BBS VA Discussion Thread [complete]

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

David Boreanaz or Doug Erholtz?

• David Boreanaz (KH1)

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • Doug Erholtz (Everything Else)

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
Re: The Official BBS VA Discussion Thread

I think JHO is probably doing the best he can, but I liked Miyu Irino a lot better :/

JHO? XD
Yeah the one thing that upsets me about his performance is that he sounds too much like Sora. Miyu Irino disguised his voice to the point where he never sounded like his Sora voice even when Vanitas was unmasked. With HJO... I can hear Sora in all of his dialogue.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards

The problem for me is he doesn't sound nearly as creepy and psychotic as Irino.

Theart

Hyped Ruler of Honnouji Academy
Awards

JHO? XD
Yeah the one thing that upsets me about his performance is that he sounds too much like Sora. Miyu Irino disguised his voice to the point where he never sounded like his Sora voice even when Vanitas was unmasked. With HJO... I can hear Sora in all of his dialogue.

I disagree. When the TGS2009 trailer came out, I recognized Miyu Irino as Vanitas from the get-go. And the only thing I'd heard of him prior was his Sora voice. HJO's only more noticeable to us since he's speaking English.

thesupersakura

JHO? XD

Wow, I must be deaf because I heard nothing....

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards

i couldn't tell it was him either, but that's because i haven't listened to much of him voicing Sora

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

I disagree. When the TGS2009 trailer came out, I recognized Miyu Irino as Vanitas from the get-go. And the only thing I'd heard of him prior was his Sora voice. HJO's only more noticeable to us since he's speaking English.

Not really. I only heard his Sora voice... if you compare Vanitas voice to Sora's voice, they really don't sound that much similar. With HJO as Vanitas... it becomes painfully obvious. Maybe it's because I already played the Japanese version and know what he looks like, but it sounds far too painfully obvious that it's HJO when with Vanitas Japanese voice I didn't recognize it. Heck, the JAP sounded more like Riku than Sora to me.

I do have to say in terms of acting, he's doing decent. But I have a bad feeling he'll make an epic fail on the evil laugh. I'm worried it'd be as bad as Darth Vader going "NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!"

Silverslide

need some more candy cane

Well, I think HJO just is trying to make Vanitas his own way. They don't have to sound exactly like their japanese counterparts you know. Let him put his own twist on it, and we'll see where it goes.

Theart

Awards

Not really. I only heard his Sora voice... if you compare Vanitas voice to Sora's voice, they really don't sound that much similar. With HJO as Vanitas... it becomes painfully obvious. Maybe it's because I already played the Japanese version and know what he looks like, but it sounds far too painfully obvious that it's HJO when with Vanitas Japanese voice I didn't recognize it. Heck, the JAP sounded more like Riku than Sora to me.

The thing that allowed me to tell it was Miyu Irino is that there was a little "subtle detail" (as I like to call them) in the manner which he spoke. I'd noticed that same detail in his Sora voice (it's hard to explain how my ears work with listening to VAing XD). He sounded deeper, yes, but I could tell it was him. =/ And it's the same thing for HJO; he's got the "subtle detail" in his Vanitas voice that is in his Sora voice.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

Well, I think HJO just is trying to make Vanitas his own way. They don't have to sound exactly like their japanese counterparts you know. Let him put his own twist on it, and we'll see where it goes.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying they need to sound like the Japanese counterparts... In fact, I'm usually against that. I'm just saying that HJO didn't disguise his voice that well and makes it sound similar to Sora, which bugs me. I'm not saying it's bad... but I do think he could've simply done his normal voice and not an evolved version of his Sora's voice.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards

i don't mind waiting till the game comes out, most of the voices are really obvious anyway

MeggieKeyblader

-has been holding back her Nimoy love for hours but is ready to let it go- NIMOY WAS AMAZING IN THIS TRAILER YES YES YES YES! I LOVED HIM AND KNEW HE WOULD DO GREAT HIS LINES WERE LIKE AHHHHH AND I WAS LIKE AHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I agree xD I really think that MX sounds amazing in this, Nimoy's voice really fits what I think he should sound like. He actually sounds like an old man and not like a bad voice actor who's trying to sound sinister. I can see a few people needing to get used to it though, because it's a lot different than his Japanese voice.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards

Nimoy sounds okay, his dialogue about THEEEEESEEEEEEEE LIFEEEEELEESSSSS KEEEEEEEEEEYSSS USED TO BEEEEE FULLLL OF POOOOWERR still sounds kind of bad, but his exchange with Terra sounded fine

after hearing the new parts of the first one though, i get what he's going for, he's trying to sound like Otsuka (MX's JP voice), so i guess he's trying to be good at least

btw guys i didn't pay that much attention to terra's voice, is it blatantly obvious who's voicing him

Theart

Awards

New short gameplay videos. Love Willa's "FAREWELL!" <3

Chris211

They changed Speed Rave to Fever Pitch? Thats horrible

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

I don't know why... but a part of me thinks Terra's VA would be the actor for Cloud (Steve Burton I think?) mainly because when he says "A strong heart will take you through the hardest of trials" sort of sounds like the actor and when he says "Stay back" in Olympus COliseum it sounds like Terra.

I don't know... but it certainly as heck ain't Christain Bale.

Chris211 said:
They changed Speed Rave to Fever Pitch? Thats horrible
I agree. I liked all the other name changes such as Critical Impact but Fever Pitch just sounds retarded.

MeggieKeyblader said:
I agree xD I really think that MX sounds amazing in this, Nimoy's voice really fits what I think he should sound like. He actually sounds like an old man and not like a bad voice actor who's trying to sound sinister. I can see a few people needing to get used to it though, because it's a lot different than his Japanese voice.

THIS! Really the only reason people hate it is because it sounds nothing like the Japanese version. If people heard this voice before hearing the Japanese voice, I don't think many people would have a problem with it. To be honest, English voices almost always sound different than the Japanese voice. Try listening to the Japanese voice of Kairi and then heading to the English version and you'll tell a major difference.

Silverslide

need some more candy cane

Nah, the reason I hate it is because I don't like the way the voice sounds. Though the acting is top notch.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

Nah, the reason I hate it is because I don't like the way the voice sounds. Though the acting is top notch.

You only hate the way it sounds because it doesn't sound like the Japanese version ;)

Personally I think VTA's VA better fit the characters than the Japanese ones do. In the Japanese version Terra sounded like he was 30, Aqua sounded like she 14, and Ven sounded like he was 11. These VAs actually fit the character's age and acting. And Nimoy actually makes MX sound like an old man while the Japanese one sounded like a 40 year old trying to do a mediocre Darth Sidious impression and it didn't sound like a real old man.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

:D :D :D :D :D :D Exactly. That just made me wonder...has Nimoy done evil before? Besides Goatee!Spock and the episode of Star Trek "Return to Tomorrow"? -goes to look it up since she can't remember-

Nimoy sounds okay, his dialogue about THEEEEESEEEEEEEE LIFEEEEELEESSSSS KEEEEEEEEEEYSSS USED TO BEEEEE FULLLL OF POOOOWERR still sounds kind of bad, but his exchange with Terra sounded fine

after hearing the new parts of the first one though, i get what he's going for, he's trying to sound like Otsuka (MX's JP voice), so i guess he's trying to be good at least

btw guys i didn't pay that much attention to terra's voice, is it blatantly obvious who's voicing him

I can't tell who Terra is/ >_> I'm a bit lost on his voice.

New short gameplay videos. Love Willa's "FAREWELL!" <3

Thank you VT! :D

αsiя

space coke

The Japanese VA's fit em better. The only game that had an A list english dub was KH1, the only good voice actor in KH2 was Christopher Lee (Ansem the Wise) and Axel. Don't get me wrong, I like the English dub but it will never be better than the Japanese version (except for KH1).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back