• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► The Kingdom Hearts Animated Series That Never Was

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

ok sunny

Awards
I think this would have been pretty neat! I wouldn't mind if the series was aired, it's not like the franchise has anything to lose. But being the person I am, I'd probably preferred a Japanese Anime of the series over a Disney Animation. I feel like an anime could do better at attracting a more mature audience and storywise. Some of the concept art also seemed a bit weird to me, but I don't mind it much.

At least we can say that KH was ALMOST going to have an Animated series!

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I think this would have been pretty neat! I wouldn't mind if the series was aired, it's not like the franchise has anything to lose. But being the person I am, I'd probably preferred a Japanese Anime of the series over a Disney Animation. I feel like an anime could do better at attracting a more mature audience and storywise. Some of the concept art also seemed a bit weird to me, but I don't mind it much.

Most, if not all storyboards look weird expect when you have perfectionists drawing them. It wasn't concept art. It was just storyboarding to get the feel of the plot of the episode.

I personally have to disagree with that statement about anime. Most western audiences view anime and cartoons in general as a less-serious medium. Anime especially does not appeal to the majority of people in the west because they feel it tries too hard or it just looks weird.

The difference with the audience appeal of an anime versus a cartoon is that you'll find a western audience is more likely to sit down and watch a cartoon for a multitude of reasons (i.e. comedic relevance, quirky concept, watching with children, attractive designs). Since Kingdom Hearts has more popularity in the west, to me it makes more sense that if any animated show was to happen, deferring to Disney would be the best route.

A cartoon can tell a serious story and attract a mature audience (i.e. ATLA, Legend of Korra, Tron: Uprising, Star Wars, Young Justice, Green Lantern the Animated Series, Gargoyles, Batman the Animated Series/TNAB/Batman Beyond, Motorcity, Justice League, etc.) and still be full of quirky, fun moments and look really good while doing it.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
I just listened to the interview. Kearsley has about a ten inch stack of panels and he may still have the animatic, but he can't share anymore because he might get in trouble with Disney.

*crying*

Javelin434

Awards
An animated series would have been awesome for the KH franchise! Sucks that it didn't take off though...

Although, a disney backed movie would be even better. Double points if it's about Kairi. *Gasp* Then that means she could have been an official Disney Princess! DISNEY DO THIS NAOW!!!!

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
*Gasp* Then that means she could have been an official Disney Princess! DISNEY DO THIS NAOW!!!!

Whoo, calm down. Disney doesn't even have their characters that are princesses on the official Disney Princess line like Kida. And don't get me started on how Esmerelda should be there, too. Kairi would probably not end up there especially because they would probably have to give SE some kind of royalties.

*dream killer 2014*

Sora's Heart

Awards
Holy Peanut butter!!!!! I always wondered if Kingdom Hearts ever get an anime of TV series or...something. I had no idea how close we actually were to getting one. Such a shame they decided to can it. I'd have watched it for sure!

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Man, I just want more 2D Disney comedy animations in general. The last great one was a short made in ToonBoom with Goofy. That was before Princess and the Frog came out.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Whoo, calm down. Disney doesn't even have their characters that are princesses on the official Disney Princess line like Kida. And don't get me started on how Esmerelda should be there, too. Kairi would probably not end up there especially because they would probably have to give SE some kind of royalties.

Mm, I doubt that last part. Disney outright owns the original characters, I don't think they paid Square anything for the original Kingdom Hearts mobile game, for example.

Zebedy

Awards
No, they don't. Nomura owns the originals.
No, he doesn't. Prior to Kingdom Hearts II, Disney and Square wrote up new contracts for the continued development of the series. Part of these agreements was that Disney would own the copyrights to the entire series, including the original characters. This is why every game post-KH2 says "(c) Disney. Developed by Square-Enix". Characters like Sora, Riku, Kairi etc. are owned entirely and exclusively by Disney.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
No, they don't. Nomura owns the originals.

Pretty certain they both do. The difference with Disney is that they don't have to ask to use the Kingdom Hearts characters if they want to.

No, he doesn't. Prior to Kingdom Hearts II, Disney and Square wrote up new contracts for the continued development of the series. Part of these agreements was that Disney would own the copyrights to the entire series, including the original characters. This is why every game post-KH2 says "(c) Disney. Developed by Square-Enix". Characters like Sora, Riku, Kairi etc. are owned entirely and exclusively by Disney.

Oh damn, didn't know about that.

Zebedy

Awards
Pretty certain they both do. The difference with Disney is that they don't have to ask to use the Kingdom Hearts characters if they want to.

Oh damn, didn't know about that.
Yeah. I remember around that time, during KHII's development, an interview came out with Nomura talking about how sad he was to have to give Sora over to Disney as he felt a really strong connection to the character being that KH was the first game he was director for and the creator of, and so on.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Yeah. I remember around that time, during KHII's development, an interview came out with Nomura talking about how sad he was to have to give Sora over to Disney as he felt a really strong connection to the character being that KH was the first game he was director for and the creator of, and so on.
It's so good to have someone else around who remembers these things. It was a sad article.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards

Well if we as a fanbase collectively get together and buy ALL Kairi merchandise, making her stuff skyrocket in price, we can make her an official princess until all of us are so poor and our houses are filled with nothing but Kairi lol! I mean, Disney only keeps princesses in their official princess lineup if their merchandise sells :p

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
Well if we as a fanbase collectively get together and buy ALL Kairi merchandise, making her stuff skyrocket in price, we can make her an official princess until all of us are so poor and our houses are filled with nothing but Kairi lol! I mean, Disney only keeps princesses in their official princess lineup if their merchandise sells :p

Wait, there's actual Kairi merchandise?!

---

In all seriousness though, Disney Princess is really just a brand name that Disney knows how to advertise really well by making it look like an honor to be on the list. Disney Princess is really just a popularity contest and being one means a character rakes in the dough.

Seeing as how Kairi isn't popular enough, and by extension, doesn't make the green it's highly unlikely that she'll ever make the list. Kingdom Hearts as a whole isn't even popular enough, not enough to get house hold name status, like Mario or Zelda anyway.

I don't want to say it's completely impossible though, but highly improbable because a lot of things have to go right before that happens. Like Disney being interested enough in the series to do something like make a movie. Since an animated series was almost a thing, the idea doesn't seem so impossible anymore, but still not all that likely.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Wait, there's actual Kairi merchandise?!

Before I knew you were kidding, I felt bad for a second cause I didn't know how to put you down easy LOL

I don't want to say it's completely impossible though, but highly improbable because a lot of things have to go right before that happens. Like Disney being interested enough in the series to do something like make a movie. Since an animated series was almost a thing, the idea doesn't seem so impossible anymore, but still not all that likely.

Well, the thing about KH was, when it first came out, Disney was REALLY behind it. They even gave KH it's own wall in one of their stores in Downtown Disney in Florida when it first came out just for the game, guide, and Mirage figures. However, KH did NOT sell well at the time and Disney almost lost complete hope in KH (sadly). I know that recently they have been getting back in KH more given the slew of KH backing by Disney at D23, US conventions, tidbits of merchandise in the store, and of course last year's 1.5 party in CA (I hope they do 1 for 2.5 this year as well).

It will take a long time before KH ever gets to a great point with Disney and I doubt Kairi will ever be a princess (unless they make a KH movie that become popular and every little girl loves Kairi, but I'd prefer they not even make a movie) but KH can still be popular :D

Tempus

Awards
With my Amiibo horde...they're mine I tell you! Al
If they were ever to do this and actually put it into production, I 'd like to have them get in contact with Nomura and have him draw some key art and maybe even a short(~20 seconds) animation for all of the non-Disney characters, especially the main characters. If the animators could keep to that, with some minor tweaks, you could have a true mash-up. Nomura's characters along side Disney's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back