• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► The Kingdom Hearts Animated Series That Never Was

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
*happy screams*

I *KNEW* I remembered reading an interview about this YEARS AGO. There weren't any storyboards, but they talked about Agrabah!!!

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
picgifs-mind-blown-1995183.gif

I've heard whispers of this a long time ago, but it was always a "he said, she said" scenario without solid evidence. I didn't here a lot of details, but every thing that was mentioned turned out to be true. It really is amazing how some of these things can have truth to them.

I still wanna see this happen. I'm sure many would cry foul if every detail wasn't exactly lifted from the games, but I'd rather see people try and be creative and make something their own, so long as they stick to the "spirit" of what ever it is that's being adapted. I really don't hate the ideas they were going for, with world related objects being some sort of "keys" and the approach to Riku and him falling to darkness looks like it was going to be handled differently.

Maybe after KH3 and the entire Xehanort Saga has been layed they'll reconsider and give this another go. The hype for KH3 is phenomenal, retelling the story via animated series is a great way to garner new fans, and Disney and Square have had a solid relationship for over a decade now. Maybe...someday...

/pipedream :(

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I think it would've been a lot better than some stupid shitty exposition/story heavy CG film like "KH: Advent Children" or something. I know that my opinion is obviously contrary to the popular opinion, but I like KH for the fun aspects, and I'd want any animations to reflect that. That's why if there ever is a KH animation, I want it to be handled by western writers and animators, who can better handle the Disney humor and animation. The thing is, a KH series would be a huge undertaking with all the meshing styles, and it'd be better done in a simpler western/House of Mouse kinda style, as opposed to some awful stiff anime stuff.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
Completely agree, Ruran. I would have LOVED to see this and what Disney would have done with it. In fact, I bet it would have been a real treat for all the Disney fans out there. And, of course, the Disney would have been true to its source material and prevalent like it was meant to be.

And y'know, the whole idea about objects being Keyholes is essentially what they did in KHII. Different items unlocked the gateway to the next world in that, so it's almost like the people at Disney thought about that early. In fact, it sort of makes me wonder if there was any sort of collaboration between Disney and Square on that part, but I doubt it.

(And speaking of which, I think I just realized that I would LOVE for Disney and Square to do a real collaboration, where both sides are involved equally. Maybe they could with something like this someday? Maybe?)

Anyway... do you guys think they would have used the original voice actors for this, or would they have gotten other people? I'd like to believe the former. And part of me wonders if someone like Billy Zane might have stayed for something like an animated series, but probably not.

So about the rumor of a KH movie... was that essentially the same thing as this for the most part, or was that an entirely different rumor?

...Here's hoping that they do something like this after KHIII. That would be the perfect time, as people wouldn't have to wonder if the anime was canon to the current storyline anymore, as it would be done at that point. Yeah...

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
So about the rumor of a KH movie... was that essentially the same thing as this for the most part, or was that an entirely different rumor?

It was a different rumor. It's hard to tell what kind of plans Disney really had for Kingdom Hearts back in the day, though...It took 12 years for this to become public knowledge, and only because Kearsley posted it on his dA and people found it. It'd be great if there was more staff out there that was willing to discuss this stuff.

Heartkeeper

Awards

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Great, now I wish they would have done that, even if it would have been canceled after one non-cannon season it would totally have been worth it.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
So there was a show in the works...
I gotta admit, my feelings on this is a little mixed. While I wish the animated series happened, in the back of my mind I feel that if it did, Disney would have made themselves more involved with the games and would have changed the series drastically, and that the series may not have lasted as long as it has.

Though I would love to have a series now. With the Xehanort saga ending soon (any year now...) having an animated series retelling would be a great idea. Of course, I wouldn't want things to be exactly the same, but staying true without just copying it.
If a series ever happened (it'll never happen, but hey, I can dream,) I'd want it to be traditional 2D animation. The games themselves are CG and I wouldn't want it to feel like we're just watching the game.

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
i can already see a kickstarter to try and bring this to reality.

It's 12 years old. We are never getting this show. Not the one Kearsley planned, at least. Disney doesn't Kickstart any project, either, and Kickstarter is not for fan use. Disney has the infinite funds and resources they would ever need for such a series if they wanted it.

LedxirnSimon

Last edited:

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
I think I've recognized that art style after reading an recent danish donald duck comic this year at, ironically, I thought that art style in your avatar and signature also came from that artist but after double checking, that wasn't, my mistake.

I am very flattered, those are his style but they're my pieces emulating it.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
It was shared on the page before.

Those videos are two different things. The one linked on the previous page is a podcast where Churro and Branden from KHU talk about the interview, among other KH things, but the interview isn't in it. The link I gave you is the actual interview between Branden and Seth Kearsley:)

SoraForeverKH

Wow! A TV series for Kingdom Hearts was actually something they were considering? I sure didn't know that! What a surprise! Lol.
I've always kinda tried to imagine what it would be like. I hope they continue to keep a movie of KH for the future in mind. That would be amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back