• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anime/Manga ► The Anime & Manga Dumping Ground

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
The implication is that this series will be far less dark than the others, as should be made pretty clear by the synopsis.

that's what made skyhigh so good though!!!! with that said, it's difficult for me to have an opinion on this new series outside of the fact that the art is up to takahashi's usual standard.

Last edited:

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Yes it is.

I'm really hoping that this gets scanlated soon so that I can see more of it. In the earlier Sky High series (the Young Jump series), the story was about Izuko (and the character of the week, of course). This new series features Izuko less prominently (to my eternal despair), and instead focuses on the three sisters who work at this inn. It's still an anthology series about troubled souls, but the difference is that the people who arrive at the inn aren't dead yet but are in critical condition or in a coma or some such. So, the format's largely the same (with, I imagine, a thematic shift from choice to acceptance), but the mood has shifted to a more lighthearted tone (which is why it's in Grand Jump, a magazine designed to cater to young office workers who would rather unwind after a day of work than delve into something depressing).

It's an interesting branch of the Sky High universe. Though I'm still mad that Izuko isn't around as much :(

Esso

Fire Breaker
I don't recall anything directly NSFW in Lain, but it certainly has its moments where your coworkers would give you second look if they saw you watching it. So, I can't really recommend that. Besides, Lain, to me, is a far better experience when you can just watch it in the comfort of your own home and think on it (though, I'd say that's true of most series).
Should've said home safe, but I'm sure the same applies. Probably best to watch at night though.
anyone who isn't reading one-punch man is seriously missing out. absolutely hilarious parody/deconstruction of tokusatsu and japanese superheroes, and murata's draftsmanship gets pretty impressive at times. my only complaint with it is that it's a little TOO decompressed sometimes. I generally prefer the slower pacing/more cinematic storytelling of manga, but 1 chapter entirely consisting of a superhero landing on a building is a bit too much.

That's the first series I have on my read list after I finish watching some stuff. From as far as I got into it (like 20 chapters) One-Punch Man is easily one of the best shounen series out right now. It's a perfect example of how the power scale in so many series is incredibly broken and senseless.

onepunch-man is tehnically a seinen since it's published in weekly young jump webcomics (wyj is also where zetman and liar game are being serialized).
Really hoping Viz decides to release physical copies soon. Those covers are to die for.

Also, while not directly related but it's obvious what shows these guys are complaining about:
Parents Television Council Targets Cartoon Network 's Adult Swim

Gosh. Whatever happened to parental controls or keeping the TV in the living room?

Last edited:

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
don't know how good enough it is in the purview of all anime, but as someone who doesn't really watch much anime, kids on the slope was a deeply affecting work

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
Really hoping Viz decides to release physical copies soon. Those covers are to die for.
They said on their facebook somewhat recently they're trying to get some physical releases out for the series.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
don't know how good enough it is in the purview of all anime, but as someone who doesn't really watch much anime, kids on the slope was a deeply affecting work

It's certainly one of the most realistic portrayals of high school friendship and romance in anime.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
It's certainly one of the most realistic portrayals of high school friendship and romance in anime.

Also, the focus on jazz and musicianship helps give the series a unique identity and makes the drama more engrossing than a lot of other shows which portray high school romance/friendship.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
Balls.

It's technically not free. Hulu + requires a subscription :C

Space Cowboy

Ultra Haunted
Awards
Great.

Now I have to put this series to the top of my backlog list.

I've had the series downloaded for so long, but other things always got in the way.

But wait....so, it's not a remake...but a new adaptation...of the original source material?

Space Cowboy

Ultra Haunted
Awards
Awww sssshhhiiiiieeeet.

Now I do have to watch the old one in case the new one is too good.

But also to compare it in case it's terrible. Please don't have CGI ships.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Just a random thought about sports anime/manga.

I think that, when you get down to it, these titles go one of two ways. One, they focus more on the ins and outs of the sport in a (semi-)realistic way (Slam Dunk, Holyland, Chihayafuru, Daiya no Ace, etc.). Two, they treat it a bit more like a superhero battle series,focussing a lot on special skills and crazy abilities with a little sport technicalities mixed in (Hajime no Ippo, Prince of Tennis, Inazuma, Kuroko no Basuke, etc.). Regardless of the style (and, of course, whether or not you like any of these individual series is up to the person), they all convey that testosterone-filled passion, likable (if not always deep) personalities, camaraderie, and moments of desperation; just distinguished by that particular quality.

Main reason I was thinking about this is that I was trying to determine how it is that I can derive such a similar level of excitement from two series like Slam Dunk and Kuroko no Basuke, while also thinking about them in two completely different ways. Figured that it had to be this superpower quality that some sports series go for and others don't.

Oh, and the good animation helps. The good animation always helps.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I just started HunterXHunter on Monday and am still currently in the Hunter Examination Arc. I think it`s pretty solid so far. The first arc kind of reminds me of the Chunin Exam arc from Naruto, LOL

I`m absolutely loving Natsume`s Book of Friends. I just finished the first season and am currently halfway through the second season.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
I just started HunterXHunter on Monday and am still currently in the Hunter Examination Arc. I think it`s pretty solid so far. The first arc kind of reminds me of the Chunin Exam arc from Naruto, LOL

Man if you think the Examination Arc is good...

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
LOL, so I take it that the arcs in HunterXHunter get better and better?

They do, and pretty exponentially at that. it's a battle shounen unlike any other.

Space Cowboy

Ultra Haunted
Awards
Just a random thought about sports anime/manga.

I think that, when you get down to it, these titles go one of two ways. One, they focus more on the ins and outs of the sport in a (semi-)realistic way (Slam Dunk, Holyland, Chihayafuru, Daiya no Ace, etc.). Two, they treat it a bit more like a superhero battle series,focussing a lot on special skills and crazy abilities with a little sport technicalities mixed in (Hajime no Ippo, Prince of Tennis, Inazuma, Kuroko no Basuke, etc.). Regardless of the style (and, of course, whether or not you like any of these individual series is up to the person), they all convey that testosterone-filled passion, likable (if not always deep) personalities, camaraderie, and moments of desperation; just distinguished by that particular quality.

Main reason I was thinking about this is that I was trying to determine how it is that I can derive such a similar level of excitement from two series like Slam Dunk and Kuroko no Basuke, while also thinking about them in two completely different ways. Figured that it had to be this superpower quality that some sports series go for and others don't.

Oh, and the good animation helps. The good animation always helps.

As much as I love Ippo and Eyeshield 21, I am not a big fan of superpower sports manga. Something just feels off a lot of the time.

Reminds me of a series that ran for like ten chapters in Jump called 'Lightwing' where in the very first chapter, the main character plays football against one-hundred other players and wins.

Back