• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Scan of KH 3D on Famitsu weekly (translations in OP)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Key to Truth

Awards
I'm not much of a fan of Nintendo's console design policies, but you're wrong.

PS2 was actually the weakest console of its generation in a lot of ways. It just had a whole bunch of really talented developers who pushed it to its limits, which meant it had really good-looking games. Gamecube was unquestionably more powerful than it, though, which was demonstrated by stuff like Resident Evil 4.

The Wii is a Gamecube overclocked by half in both CPU and GPU, which puts it above anything from last gen, Xbox included. It's still far closer to last-gen than current-gen, of course, but that extra clock-speed gives it an advantage in a lot of areas, including the amount of polygons they can use on screen. (Note that the PS2 had an absurdly high theoretical poly ceiling, but never actually reached it at any point in its life) If Squenix ever bothered to make a full-budget FF game on it, they'd probably be able to make XII with X's character models or something.

...the problem is, of course, that 3DS is not a portable Wii. It's barely a portable Gamecube, particularly in terms of displayed polygons, and what it does have is halved due to the need to render each frame twice for the 3D. KH3D is far closer to BbS than KH2 in terms of stuff-on-screen because of that, and even KH2 didn't have many NPCs.

Then again, Type-0 does this, even on PSP:
6ffrsk08.jpg

Which really does make me wonder what's stopping the KH team from doing the same. =/ (On the other hand, I'm quickly becoming convinced Type-0 was made using crystal magic)

I have an answer for you. The reason Type-0 has many NPCs is because the battle stuff and the "NPC stuff" are separated. Put it another way... you won't see NPCs during battle, the battle engine is loaded separatedly from the NPCs or anything else. Probably if KH had too many NPCs we would get major lags and FPS drops due to the high amount of content the console has to render.

Just look at BBS! BBS lags even at some points with just 3 or 4 characters on screen, imagine how the console would be forced to render all the enemies, NPCs, interactive map stuff, chests and more, all at the same time. Want it or not the NPCs would be big load to the CPU. Plus, the 3DS CPU is clocked to an even lower speed than the PSP's (however, the graphic "card" has the double of memory than the PSPs, so that might help).

Cyborg009

Bot-Buster
Awards
^ funny I posted a couple days ago I had a dream featuring Sword in the stone and princess and the frog together in the next issue. Maybe this is a hopefully coincidence! But I don't want an Oliver and Co. World...I'd rather have a Great Mouse Detective world :)

the Oliver and Company world wasn't my idea. my subconscious was the one who put it there. if were up to me. i'd put robin hood in there.

micbeasty

the Oliver and Company world wasn't my idea. my subconscious was the one who put it there. if were up to me. i'd put robin hood in there.

hahaha i know what you mean there! kinda wish your subconscious did replace it with Robin Hood...just sayin.

Ikkin

Bronze Member
I have an answer for you. The reason Type-0 has many NPCs is because the battle stuff and the "NPC stuff" are separated. Put it another way... you won't see NPCs during battle, the battle engine is loaded separatedly from the NPCs or anything else. Probably if KH had too many NPCs we would get major lags and FPS drops due to the high amount of content the console has to render.

Just look at BBS! BBS lags even at some points with just 3 or 4 characters on screen, imagine how the console would be forced to render all the enemies, NPCs, interactive map stuff, chests and more, all at the same time. Want it or not the NPCs would be big load to the CPU. Plus, the 3DS CPU is clocked to an even lower speed than the PSP's (however, the graphic "card" has the double of memory than the PSPs, so that might help).

This isn't exactly true. I've seen generic Suzaku soldiers running around in gameplay videos, with three playable characters and a couple of enemies on-screen at the same time. It's probably easier to make an NPC that does nothing but run away (they'd essentially just replace an enemy using non-hostile AI), but that's all one would expect from an NPC after enemies showed up anyway.

Of course, I really can't tell what the two games are doing differently in terms of tech; KH's battle effects might be significantly more costly than Type-0's, or it might have more enemies on screen, or higher-poly PC/ally models or something.

What I'm pretty sure about is that the CPU isn't the determining factor here. =P It'd make more sense to compare 3DS' GPU vs PSP's, and a) I'm not sure that's a known quantity and b) being a newer chip, it can do more per clock-rate anyway. 3DS should definitely be able to get better poly-performance than PSP, it's just that most of it seems to be spent on the 3D.

Cyborg009

Bot-Buster
Awards
hahaha i know what you mean there! kinda wish your subconscious did replace it with Robin Hood...just sayin.

sadly it has more control creative control in my dreams, but i think i remember seeing robin hood. but then again its out of my hands.

micbeasty

Have Bells of Notre Dame for the overworld theme and Topsy Turvy for the battle theme. See, problem solved!
I'm thinking for Prankster's Paradise we'll have a KH-fyed When you wish upon a star as the Overworld theme and have Hi, diddlee, dee as the battle theme!

Crazy Mario

The One, The Only, Jumpman!

Mr Yippie

Ehhhh I see it happening, but that would get EXTREMELY annoying after the first few minutes of gameplay :p

If we can deal with Monstro's theme, we could deal with this.

As good as Wooden Boy is I'd prefer something more circusy, kind of like Beetlejuice crossed with Entry of the Gladiators.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
I agree with you on Prankster's Paradise's Battle Theme, but may I suggest Little Wooden Head for the overworld theme! Here is a Blu-Ray quality link on YouTube! :)
Disney's Pinocchio : Little Wooden Head : Blu-Ray - YouTube

I think that is probably going to be it (I hope it too). However, keep in mind, the quality will be much better in the game because it will be smoother, not as squeaky from the whistling, Gepetto will be gone, and so will all the background clacking on Pinocchio's part. So I can see this turning out really nicely, not to mention the song just sounds like something you would do running around a carnival like place.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Oh hey, now we finally know what Quasimodo's left arm looks like xD
I wasn't that far off :3

Mr Yippie

Can anyone tell where Sora is in the penguin pictures? Is it.. the water leading to Monstro?

Oh man, and there's his mouth again.

Nice shooting gallery at Prankster's too.

micbeasty

The area where the ice penguin is appears to be under the sea in Pranksters Paradise <3

Crazy Mario

The One, The Only, Jumpman!
Damn, these maps are big.
I know! For The City of Bells we have, the Cathedral, Notre Dame's tower, the Festival of Fools outside, the alleys, the windmill house that got burned by Frollo, the Court of Miracles catacombs along with underwater segments, The Court of Miracles and the graveyard! Meanwhile for Prankster's Paradise, we have Gepetto's house/village, Pleasure Island, a circus and Monstro's insides! I''m glad Square's using most of each movies locations and characters for once!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back