• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Racism in the Modern World (And your experiences with it)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arimith

To start off with, I feel it is important to establish that I am a white, middle-class male working as a cashier to help pay for College. I have been raised in suburbia for most of my life, and as such have been rather safe (at least at home.)
Up until reaching maturity and having to work/experience the real world with only myself to guide me, I've never had an inclination to think about race, at all. It just did not factor and merely saw everyone as individuals.

This experience took place at work.

Prior to the event, I worked a 1:30-11:00 shift. As a young male, I am often prompt to bitch work at my job. Before it slowed down a bit in the evening, I spent most of the day in the 100+ Texas summer heat pushing carts outside back into the store. We have no machines to help, just a rope and a hook, and we go uphill. You have to move constantly just to stay even with what customers naturally use and take-out, so it is very physically demanding.

After quite a few hours of that, and a few inside actually cashiering, I was quite tired and worn out.

The event takes place at 9:55. We close at 10:00, and the last hour is spent on closing duties. I was currently helping a black woman. Being that it was a busy day, and nearing the end, I was not very talkative. I asked her paper or plastic, told her her total, handed her the receipt and told her to have a nice day. I glanced up at the next customer, saw that she, a white woman, was wearing a 80s Ninja Turtle T-Shirt, and asked her when she walked up to me, "So what's your favorite Turtle?" before the black woman was out of ear-shot.

Twenty minutes later, whilst closing down the store, the closing manager approaches me. He asked me if I had a minute, and due to the look on his face, and retail being retail, I asked him if a customer had complained about me.
He told me that the black woman had called and complained about me. He said that I had ignored her, was rude and short with her, was not wearing a nametag (a legitimate complaint, I wasn't) and felt that I was, and I quote this, "Racially Violating her" for my improved mood when talking to the white woman behind her.

Race was furthest from the issue. I was tired and not talkative, and only perked up because the next customer had noticeably an interest I shared, Ninja Turtles.

I am rather pissed off at this, because it seems to me, at least in Middle Class America, that race, and racism itself, is only brought up and used when directed at others, accusing any slight they received at them being originated from some kind of racist gesture.

In my case, I feel like the woman is trying to secure some kind of compensation from my store to make up for my "racist act" earlier, and I just happen to me the sacrificial pig between her and goodies.

I'm not saying that racism is totally eliminated from the world, especially say in the Balkan Peninsula or the Middle East, but in my day to day life the only racism I've encountered has been towards myself or a peer, stating that we were by the mere fact that we are white and happen to unintentionally insult someone who is not.

So how about you all? How do you feel about that story? Think my reasoning behind her accusation is true? Think she had the right to feel that way? Any experiences or thoughts you have with racism? Think it's dead in the US or not? Etc...etc....

Kazuma

For the Real not the Fake
Website
kazu52.deviantart.com
When my own people( black chick) wanted to CHECK MY 20 dollar bill but won't check the white guys behind me. Very sad we have long way to go.

Also its purely naive to not think that racism is dead in our country(US). Its everywhere still, still in grained in the moral fabric of this country. Which is the racism it was already built on.

D

Deleted member 36435

When my own people( black chick) wanted to CHECK MY 20 dollar bill but won't check the white guys behind me. Very sad we have long way to go.
Wow, that's horrible we might as well let the dogs out on you.

Ace.

Banned

Just laugh it off.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
There will always be race in the world. Even non-racists or a minority may use race as an exuse. But I myself have never had any problems with racism. I hate stereotypes, though. I always hear how black men are all angry and violent, which I always knew was a load of bullshit. Once in a store, me and my sister were waiting in line, and there was a black man behind me. I accidentally fell back and he just said "Excuse me." I apoligized, of course, but that shows how much racists bullshit. I've always known that they were pulling it out of their asses, but I just got to actually know how much bullshit they were spewing. Of course, I've never had to deal with race or racism, I don't want to deal with race, but if I saw a bunch of white guys beating up a defenseless black man, I would call the police and go assist him without a second thought, knowing that I might only just get myself killed.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
^ define racism. you have no idea how the word has been used out of context so many times and has been made interchangeable with extreme prejudice

Racism: When one human being dislikes another for skin color.

Racists don't like, say, African-Americans, so they claim that they are all violent. All people are induviduals, whenever I hear or read something racist, I just want to punch someone in the face. And I'm not saying that they target black men, women and children in general, I was just using an example.

D

Deleted member 36435

Racism: When one human being dislikes another for skin color.

Racists don't like, say, African-Americans, so they claim that they are all violent. All people are induviduals, whenever I hear or read something racist, I just want to punch someone in the face. And I'm not saying that they target black men, women and children in general, I was just using an example.
Your definition is incredibly off.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Your definition is incredibly off.

Oh really? Then what is you're definition? If a human being legitimatly hates another for skin color alone, then they are racist. That's like saying that hating someone for being gay doesn't make them a homophobe.

D

Deleted member 36435

There is more criteria to being racist than simply skin color.

Dictionary definition:
a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

D

Deleted member 36435

this is by far one of the WORST logical definitions i have ever heard. Your example is also very off by a huge factor, its like your mixing up nationalism with supremacy

racism .noun. /ˈrāˌsizəm/. The belief that a certain race is viewed as inferior or superior to another race

if you can't tell the difference between prejudice and racism and easily dismiss the former and latter as both racism you have some very bonked up logic

EDIT: Also the title of the thread is grammatically incorrect
I'm not seeing the grammatical error.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Okay, I see you're point. I should have worded my words more carefully.

CaptainMarvelQ8

Bronze Member
Awards
A thing i've been having on my mind is how black people act all "gangster" (which created stereotypes)and stuff which i sincerely hate.Because there are alot of black people who don't want to be associated with it,and are better than to act like it.and more importantly how they call their friends "******s" yet they get mad when others do.I mean if you lowered yourselves to such state then you'd better accept it when others say it to you.

Arimith

Also its purely naive to not think that racism is dead in our country(US). Its everywhere still, still in grained in the moral fabric of this country. Which is the racism it was already built on.

I'm not trying to say it's wholly dead in this country. But, at least, from my perspective (all I've got) it does not seem to be the issue that it was even twenty years ago. I've never seen racism in my day to day life, aside from what I said already. To say it's still grained in the moral fabric of the country, and not a minority, is a pretty big claim. The twenty was unfortunate, but anything else that justifies the scope you say it's at still?

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
...that wouldn't have changed your poor definition at all.

I wasn't paying attention, I was barely awake and I didn't have breakfast. Gimme a damn break for not paying attention.

Anyway, it doesn't matter what happens, there will always be discrimination, there is no helping it. But that doesn't mean the world won't change for the better, it might even change for the worse, but it will never be perfect. We're only human. Destructive and imperfect is what makes us human. If only we could be perfect, but we can't.

Monkey

dick to a lot of people
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Vani

LOVEY DOVEY DOVEY
Anyway, it doesn't matter what happens, there will always be discrimination, there is no helping it. But that doesn't mean the world won't change for the better, it might even change for the worse, but it will never be perfect. We're only human. Destructive and imperfect is what makes us human. If only we could be perfect, but we can't.
So you think its alright for everyone to just let this shit happen and not bother to even TRY to do anything about it. Hmmm, yup yer sooo rite.

Anyways, racism is definitely dying down. Ive never really seen any serious racism or discrimination at all.
Coming from a Latinos perspective, there still is a lot of supremacy. I notice that "whites" look down on Mexicans a lot and it kinda annoys me. Some really do have potential if they where encouraged enough.
Other than that, there's still tension between particular races. But I think that'll die down or at least lessen once more generations pass. Right now its just kinda awkward what with how different Spanish Culture is. But I notice a lot of third-generation Latin Americans get along easier with other races. Hopefully, its even better in the future.

And about Black and White people... I think we just aren't completely used to the idea of being one "race." I still seldom see Black people and White people mingling. After awhile, Im sure this tension will die down too.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
So you think its alright for everyone to just let this shit happen and not bother to even TRY to do anything about it. Hmmm, yup yer sooo rite.

Anyways, racism is definitely dying down. Ive never really seen any serious racism or discrimination at all.
Coming from a Latinos perspective, there still is a lot of supremacy. I notice that "whites" look down on Mexicans a lot and it kinda annoys me. Some really do have potential if they where encouraged enough.
Other than that, there's still tension between particular races. But I think that'll die down or at least lessen once more generations pass. Right now its just kinda awkward what with how different Spanish Culture is. But I notice a lot of third-generation Latin Americans get along easier with other races. Hopefully, its even better in the future.

And about Black and White people... I think we just aren't completely used to the idea of being one "race." I still seldom see Black people and White people mingling. After awhile, Im sure this tension will die down too.

When did I say it was okay? I was just saying that no matter how much we change, we will never be perfect. But I'm all for changing for the better, I'm just saying that there will always be discrimination, which is kind of sad for being the most intelligent race on the planet, that dogs and cats don't care one way or another if your black, white or purple.

Vani

LOVEY DOVEY DOVEY
What I get out of this statement: there is no helping it. Discrimination will always be there and we can't do anything about it, so we shouldn't.
What you might've been implying: beats me.
Chose better diction, por favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back