• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

PSP2 details leak from newspaper, more info coming January 27th

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
wtf.jpg

Chaser not happy.

UMDs suck balls. Its about time they got rid of them.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
People are saying that this will start off as the same price as the PS3 o.o What do you guys think?

Sony's said that they want it to be reasonably priced for the consumers, so I seriously doubt that.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
Keep in mind that the PS3 was valued at almost $900 and sold for $600. Sony could surprise and make this cheaper than we thought. After all, they tend to sell at a loss. But, then again, I sniff at least a $50-$100 price increase from the 3DS...which I almost don't mind, given a good library of games and the potential of the system itself...i wish it had HDMI out though.

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
Keep in mind that the PS3 was valued at almost $900 and sold for $600. Sony could surprise and make this cheaper than we thought. After all, they tend to sell at a loss. But, then again, I sniff at least a $50-$100 price increase from the 3DS...which I almost don't mind, given a good library of games and the potential of the system itself...i wish it had HDMI out though.

I'm hoping some specs change before the actual release or at least with the next model a year later =p.

Among other things, I would have gone the 3G/4G route instead of just 3G, a bit of a slimmer design (you know they can do it), and HDMI output as well. In addition, there was nothing other than the new flash cards that the games will come on, that indicated being able to use removable memory. Or for that matter, nothing on storage memory at all. On the HDMI out though, it is possible they will have an adapter or special HDMI cord just for the system that allows HDMI out kind of like the Zune HD does. I'm sure there were a lot of features they left out since this was just the reveal. E3 is sure to have a lot more. Possibly even sooner with GDC.

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
PSP2 sounds so amazing.
It's gonna be bitch to keep care of it though, I always break touch-screens T_T

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
Weird how reactions went from 'probably will suck' to 'wow, this is cool.' I might actually get this. If it means somehow support for UMDs via.. something, I dunno, I'll definitely get it.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Game reel:
YouTube - Next Generation Portable(SCE):First Demo 1/3

I'm really interested in Gravity Daze.

Look at the way you freaking control Uncharted! When you climb the cliff, you literally "climb" the back of the PSP by swiping your fingers up and down. That is so awesome!! Look at the way you fluidly switch back from touch, to motion, to button control. You can walk up to enemies with the analog stick and tap on them to attack. And the gyros + cameras let you aim in first-person like a real sniper when you have the sniper rifle. It's such a harmony of user-inputs that it really has me intrigued.

Zero

Sergeant RoxMog
Game reel:
YouTube - Next Generation Portable(SCE):First Demo 1/3

I'm really interested in Gravity Daze.

Look at the way you freaking control Uncharted! When you climb the cliff, you literally "climb" the back of the PSP by swiping your fingers up and down. That is so awesome!! Look at the way you fluidly switch back from touch, to motion, to button control. You can walk up to enemies with the analog stick and tap on them to attack. And the gyros + cameras let you aim in first-person like a real sniper when you have the sniper rifle. It's such a harmony of user-inputs that it really has me intrigued.

That is pretty beast but I hope you have the option to turn off the touch screen and gyro and just use the D-Pad and Tri, X, O, [ ] buttons. Im just more comfortable with that. Also, any news on Trophies and can someone explain the PS3 to NGP gameplay thing?

Vossler

I'll Be His Successor
I have some quesitons about this thing, is it true that this is suppose to release at the end of this year? Also is there a price tag on this?

Kazuma

For the Real not the Fake
Website
kazu52.deviantart.com
I woke up this morning went on Kotaku, and HOLY SHAT I saw the NGP,and after reading the functions and capabilities I would actually want this beside a DS, with a 3D gimmick added which really in no way adds to gameplay. The touch features on the front and back looks like something developers could really work with and make some nice gameplay features with, along with the enhanced gyroscope. I love the finger grips on the back. I mean damn sony you just did every thing right this time.

Thats what I like about sony as a company and manufacture. They may not invent something entirely new in an idea sense but improve upon the technology they have or is around and just make it better. This excluding all the damn physical video formats they made.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Perplexing.

Sony's Next Generation Portable games consoles could arrive on the market with a price tag of between $299 and $349 , according to one analyst present at the PlayStation Meeting today in Tokyo.

And Jesse Divnich of EEDAR told GamesIndustry.biz that he believes the NPG "will blow away Western audiences."

"The market is ripe for portable high-end gaming. The NGP will be a serious threat to all forms of portable entertainment," he said.

"After seeing the specs today, if the NGP can't succeed, it is clear that the portable gaming landscape has forever changed. The future of portable entertainment is in the hands of Sony."

The high-end hardware was shown off for the first time today, with a list of features addressing the hardcore market such as dual analogue sticks, as well as more social functions and connectivity.

Sony has not yet attached an official price to the unit, nor name, but has said it will launch this Christmas holiday season. Speaking to Eurogamer in Tokyo today, Sony boss Andrew House said that he wouldn't be drawn on a specific price, but that the console would be "affordable".

"I can't put a ballpark on it in terms of figures, but what I would say is that we will shoot for an affordable price that's appropriate for the handheld gaming space," House told Eurogamer.

However, House did reveal that Sony is keen to sell the handheld at a unit profit, rather than just making margins back on software sales.

"Ideally we would want to have our hardware be profitable, in addition to our software," he said. "We've experienced both sides and we know which one we like to be on!"

The NGP has a QUAD-CORE CPU/GPU SYSTEM WITH A 5" OLED SCREEN AND TOUCH PAD AND TOUCH SCREEN AND 3G AND STUFF....I'm really having a hard time comprehending keeping this both at a price that is "affordable" and "appropriate" for the handheld market, yet also being able to keep your hardware profitable?

This thing has to be worth around at least $400-500...simply because of the power, and the engineering feat it was to keep all of that in such a small, compact system with still only using about 4-5 hours of battery life.

But if Sony wants to sell it for a profit....how can they consider a price like that affordable? It has to be lower...but then it's not really profitable...they'll be taking a loss...

Hmm......

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
Oh, really, guys?

Look, I probably enjoy the PS3 more than the Wii; however, the Wii has sold much more because it appeals to more people. The 3DS is more or less the same case. This isn't just a matter of the lot of us thinking it looks cool: if it doesn't appeal to a mass market, it's not going to sell as much as the 3DS.

Remember, Nintendo prides itself on being family-oriented.

Coeurl

Demon Dance
if that's true, then i'll just get this instead of a ps3

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Oh, really, guys?

Look, I probably enjoy the PS3 more than the Wii; however, the Wii has sold much more because it appeals to more people. The 3DS is more or less the same case. This isn't just a matter of the lot of us thinking it looks cool: if it doesn't appeal to a mass market, it's not going to sell as much as the 3DS.

Remember, Nintendo prides itself on being family-oriented.

It all depends on the marketing, really. It has all the potential to hit a mass casual audience. The PSN already has games that demonstrate that, and with the touch screen, the NGP can easily take a bite out of that market. It's all in Sony's court to just price the thing right and market it right, like Kinect.

But really, don't make harsh calls on what will sell more. Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft all win some and lose some. While the handheld market has largely always been Nintendo's to devour, the iPhone/iPad have been taking a huge bite at Nintendo's casual market, and now the NGP is hoping to offer even better value than those handhelds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back