• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► Power Rangers - July 22nd 2016

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Lonbilly

an old man plaguing the site like a phantom
Awards
I dig the look so far (especially since it's not the edgelord that the parody Power Rangers movie trailer was), but I'm still kind of worried as to whether or not there will be some decent dialogue in this. Part of the appeal of this film, for me, was I'm hoping for it to be like Kamen Roder in terms of writing - dark storyline that is still filled with fun and engaging characters. I mean, two of the writers on the team are from Chronicle and Real Steel, boh of which I adore, so there's that. (But then there's also the people behind Gods of Egypt and Thor, so...)

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net
At least some are more akin to give it a shot like I am. A good mix of dark but still light hearted, I don't see this being bad as the Fantastic 4 reboot but I am friends with children on Facebook, best never pick a fight because they can't see the movie anyway because they are underage (not 17, just 15-16)
Like Zootopia, this is my birthday movie

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Red-Ranger-Sword.jpg

Power Rangers: First Image of Red Ranger’s Power Sword Revealed

A candle lighter?

[video=youtube;VdnvEicwJvU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdnvEicwJvU&app=desktop[/video]

Teaser time
I admit this was a good trailer.

Love Rita's "I've killed Rangers before."
Too bad she still looks more of a lackey than the big bad. But given her green color and the outfit itself looks like a ranger suit it's probably intentional.

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
I'm super pumped for this. Grew up with Power Rangers as a kid, and this looks exactly as I had hoped. It doesn't feel a whole lot like Power Rangers, and that's probably a good thing. Keeping the full spirit of the original Power Rangers for a large target audience in 2016-17 wouldn't go over too well.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
So while i dont expect the green ranger until the sequel but do you guys think we will still get Tommy Oliver as a possible cameo?

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
I'm actually more excited to see this than Rogue One, growing up as both a Star Wars and Power Rangers kid. Just based on first trailer, the characters seem familiar enough but still show potential to be separate of the original material; that's a sign of a good reboot. Take my money, Breakfast Club Power Rangers.

So while i dont expect the green ranger until the sequel but do you guys think we will still get Tommy Oliver as a possible cameo?

He'll be in the last 30 seconds with no lines and portrayed by Mark Hamill

I think it's possible, although maybe not the most effective approach; I'd rather they foreshadow him a la Joker in Batman Begins.

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards

I hope we do. There are wild theories that Rita Repulsa could eventually be molded into the movie's green ranger, but I pray that isn't the case. I'm not one to agree with such theories, but I understand the idea based on her design. Fingers crossed for a Tommy cameo.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Yes yes yes yes yes yes.

Sorry, it's just Tommy Oliver is my all-time favorite Power Ranger. Ever since I was younger. When I saw Dino Thunder for the first time, I recognized him right away. I bet I could most likely spot his cameo if he makes one.

Lonbilly

an old man plaguing the site like a phantom
Awards
Are we discussing the posibility of a character Tommy Oliver cameo, or the actor who portrayed Tommy Oliver? Because honestly, excluding maybe being in the background/having an insignificant one liner, I wouldn't really want cameos from any of the original actors in this. And that's coming from someone who watched from Mighty Morphin all the way to Dino Thunder.

That being said, Tommy as a character having a cameo? Sure. So long as it's not as intrusive the Flash/Aquaman/Cyborg "cameos" were in BvS. If it is, save that shit for post credits, pls.

Crimson Jazz

You ain't got no YEEZY!?!
I'm positive Tommy Oliver (the character, not the Jason David Frank, Tommy's actor) will probably make a small cameo either at the end or in the mid-credits or post-credits scene.

EDIT: I'm also 100% positive that scene of them swimming in the water is them discovering the Command Center.

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards
I'm positive Tommy Oliver (the character, not the Jason David Frank, Tommy's actor) will probably make a small cameo either at the end or in the mid-credits or post-credits scene.

EDIT: I'm also 100% positive that scene of them swimming in the water is them discovering the Command Center.

If this be true, then it's a very possible that the command center is in a legit alien ship. And if that's the case, then the hype factor just went up considering that Zordon is an intergalactic wizard.

And I love the Breakfast Club-y, Chronicle vibe I'm getting. I don't even care if it's bordering cliche, because we're getting a gritty PR reboot, but also respecting the original source material.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Too bad she still looks more of a lackey than the big bad. But given her green color and the outfit itself looks like a ranger suit it's probably intentional.

Welll, even in the original material Rita more or less was a lackey as well...for Lord Zedd. She was only allowed to play the big bad in the first season from 1993/94 because Zedd had other business to attend to. ;P

---

That aside, I'm known to be incredibly sceptic of anything carrying the moniker "reboot", not really a fan of this whole "everything has to be darker and grittier"-approach that seems to be en vogue nowadays and being an old school Power Rangers fan since I grew up in the 90's who actually has the first six seasons (Mighty Morphin to In Space, Zordon-era) as DVD boxes (but actually watched up to Wild Force on TV and looked up later seasons like S.P.D. and Mystic Force on Youtube).
These are normally all factors to decry this as yet another cheap try to make money off something classical instead of being creative with something new, yet that would make me also one of these overly sensitive narrow-minded nostalgia twits and the very first Power Rangers movie was also detached from the actual show continuity so dependent on how exactly this goes I may give it actually a try.

Last edited:

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I can understand why they went for a more serious and darker theme. A film with the same campiness and lighthearted tone as the original series might not sell with today's YA crowd

Besides, it isn't like the film will be without humor. There were a few jokes in the trailer

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
I can understand why they went for a more serious and darker theme. A film with the same campiness and lighthearted tone as the original series might not sell with today's YA crowd

Besides, it isn't like the film will be without humor. There were a few jokes in the trailer

Agreed, and the film looks to still play with themes of color throughout. I do agree that it doest quite feel like Power Rangers, but as you said, that wouldn't translate well for their target audience. It is unfortunate to an extent that gritty seems to be the general direction of so many reboots, but I do like where this one is headed.

Ruby Rose

I a bit so-so, maybe leaning towards negative. Never really grew up with Power Rangers, I was more of a DCAU kid. I'll just have to give this one a chance, just out of curiosity.

Peace

Awards
I like that the trailer seemed to point out that just possessing the Power Coins seems to boost the rangers' abilities. That was something that was never really touched on in the show, even though there were plenty of unmorphed fight scenes as well

Dino Thunder sort of did that by giving them superpowers when they had their Dino Gems.

Back