• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Orlando Nightclub Shooting-At least 50 dead

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
Gofundme takes 8% of the donations. They're douche bags.

I guess, they take that eight percent since they're a company and they need some way to pay for their company.

I just don't get why the government is so slow in acting gun regulations. Is it true that the shooter, Omar Mateen got the weapon within a week prior to the shooting? Was there even a background check called on him? How did he pass it considering that he had a history of domestic abuse and possibly mental illness?

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I just don't get why the government is so slow in acting gun regulations.

Three points are enough to explain that:
- NRA
- Conservative gun-lovers and others with "Cowboy attitude"
- Republicans palpititating on one single part in the US constitution

Thus the government has to deal with lobbyists and stalling tactics on every second step they try to make in that field, especially when both chambers of the parliament (Congress and Senate) are filled with cronies who have strong ties to one or more of the above three points as well.

The USA is among the high developed countries the one with the most victims of gun violence by far.

According to Gun Violence Archive there are nearly 24.000 shooting incidents already this year with more than 6.000 deaths.

These are numbers nearly unthinkable for most countries in Europe or even Canada.

h.e.hassanein

Okay as a Muslim I'd like to first of all thank the Lord some people here understand that this has nothing to do with Islam itself. Second of all, the media (and a bunch of politicians, I don't think I even need to say who) are taking advantage of the fact that this man was a Muslim because it's easy. It falls right into the 'crazed-terrorist-hates-freedom-must-kill-more-terrorists' story that (sadly) we're all too familiar with. The fact that this man made a claim of solidarity with ISIS makes putting the murderer in this category even more attractive. All thanks to associative thinking, and what do we all think of when we hear about a Muslim man on the news?

But it's lazy thinking and racist. In reality this man had nothing to do with the whole organization, but people are expounding on it because it makes for easier headlines when in reality this isn't about radical Islam at all but about the lone wolf phenomenon. If this were any other mass shooting (the majority of which were done by white men) no one would point to radical Christianity or terrorism. But this man's parents were Afghani, so of course we know how this story will be treated.

And since so many people are making this about terrorism rather than the lone wolf phenomenon, that makes it harder for people to focus on what needs to be changed- gun control! And if Americans are being distracted from what needs to be changed, how can the government gain support for gun regulation? The people who supported it before still do now. The rest are at Trump rallies.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I just don't get why the government is so slow in acting gun regulations.

GUN regulation alone won't change much anyways. There's always ways to get a weapon if you really, REALLY want to. The problem is that thousands of accidents happen with weapons because so many people who really don't need one and have no idea about guns can get them relatively easy and - I think? - even legally.
Awareness would prevent many accidents with guns included. THAT's what I don't get. Why aren't people taught properly(!) about dangerous weapons before they can just buy them?

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
Because MURICA. I was explaining to someone on youtube about how hard the government and the law goes to regulate cars and driving (most of the time). If a new threat appears (such as texting and driving), they are quick to enact laws to keep people safe. They will quickly swipe away someone's right to drive for the smallest offenses. They make up the dumbest excuses to get into peoples cars and check it out... but when it comes to guns, there's nothing. There are rarely any attempts to pass new legislation to make guns safer for our country, and safer options such as 'smart guns' are shot down by big money interests forrrr reasons I don't understand (other than it'd get in the way of profit)

Our country would be safer with NO guns, but it would also be safer with just LESS guns. At least when you up the regulations so this crazy Orlando dude doesn't get them, you'll have a much easier time putting some charges on him or tracking his illegal activities rather than having to sit on your butt and do nothing because he's managed to do everything legally up until the point that he killed dozens of people.

If you are qualified to get a gun and you want a gun, waiting a little bit (24-48 hour wait period) or going through a process shouldn't be a big deal.

Supposedly we have the NSA that's supposed to be able to catch criminals doing illegal things such as buying guns and other black market activities, but they're too busy listening in on phone sex.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
Because MURICA. I was explaining to someone on youtube about how hard the government and the law goes to regulate cars and driving (most of the time). If a new threat appears (such as texting and driving), they are quick to enact laws to keep people safe. They will quickly swipe away someone's right to drive for the smallest offenses. They make up the dumbest excuses to get into peoples cars and check it out... but when it comes to guns, there's nothing. There are rarely any attempts to pass new legislation to make guns safer for our country, and safer options such as 'smart guns' are shot down by big money interests forrrr reasons I don't understand (other than it'd get in the way of profit)

Our country would be safer with NO guns, but it would also be safer with just LESS guns. At least when you up the regulations so this crazy Orlando dude doesn't get them, you'll have a much easier time putting some charges on him or tracking his illegal activities rather than having to sit on your butt and do nothing because he's managed to do everything legally up until the point that he killed dozens of people.

If you are qualified to get a gun and you want a gun, waiting a little bit (24-48 hour wait period) or going through a process shouldn't be a big deal.

Supposedly we have the NSA that's supposed to be able to catch criminals doing illegal things such as buying guns and other black market activities, but they're too busy listening in on phone sex.

Doesn't getting a gun make you go through a mental health evaluation?

lychee

Doesn't getting a gun make you go through a mental health evaluation?

Technically yes. But he wasn't a prohibited person, and according to Trevor Velinor (a firearms and explosives agent) he is allowed to legally walk into a gun dealership and acquire and purchase firearms. At least 8 gunmen with mental health problems and criminal history have legally bought guns and firearms this year alone (the umpqua community college shooter, the san bernardino shooter, and Omar Mateen- the Orlando shooter, being a couple of them)

If anything, this shows how careless and unregulated America's gun laws are. And how serious this issue is.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
Technically yes. But he wasn't a prohibited person, and according to Trevor Velinor (a firearms and explosives agent) he is allowed to legally walk into a gun dealership and acquire and purchase firearms. At least 8 gunmen with mental health problems and criminal history have legally bought guns and firearms this year alone (the umpqua community college shooter, the san bernardino shooter, and Omar Mateen- the Orlando shooter, being a couple of them)

If anything, this shows how careless and unregulated America's gun laws are. And how serious this issue is.

More precaution needs to be taken to prohibit such people from accessing guns. It doesn't mean getting rid of guns altogether, but probably decreasing the number of gun related incidents, right? Wouldn't that work? I am probably an idiot for thinking so, since other dangers would only increase.

h.e.hassanein

More precaution needs to be taken to prohibit such people from accessing guns. It doesn't mean getting rid of guns altogether, but probably decreasing the number of gun related incidents, right? Wouldn't that work? I am probably an idiot for thinking so, since other dangers would only increase.

You're not an idiot. What's more common these days on the news, home break-in stories where people actually need their guns to protect themselves or mass-shootings? I can't think of any situation where you would actually need a gun to protect yourself that is as common as (sadly) mass shootings are becoming. What does this say about so many people's absolute need to own guns?

lychee

It's a complicated issue (one that makes me glad not to be an American myself.) There have been 133 mass shootings in the US this year alone, most of which wasn't terrorism-related. That's a terrifying number. What baffles me is that the government is either unwilling or unable to stop it. In most countries a mass shooting like the Orlando one would throw citizens into an angry fit, demanding reforms. America just mourns and talks about it for a month or so and then- poof! Everyone goes back to their daily life (until the next tragedy happens.) It's not a very complicated issue for most European and Asian countries where guns are either strictly forbidden or very very hard to legally aquire. I wouldn't mind, personally, to let guns only be used in war. What's a gun good for, anyway? Its sole purpose is to inflict injury or death. But in America's situation i think it should be treated as a public health issue, and universal background checks should be enforced. Getting a gun should basically be very hard to get. That's probably the only way to decrase gun related accidents without banning them altogeher.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
I suggest moving Zeto. 0_0

Well, it doesn't matter where you move to, a shooting can occur anywhere. Just look at what happened to Christina Grimmie and what went down in Roswell, New Mexico. I don't know how close Roswell is to Albuquerque, but the city has seen murders like the West Mesa serial killer and Roswell, asides from aliens, saw a mother and her four daughters killed by the mother's husband and also the girls' father.

Chuuya

scared of any fandom I'm part of
Awards
You're right Dreaded. I remember a guy who had a gun and was in a building (which he barricaded himself in) and police and everyone was protecting the area. The police tried to get the guy out without him shooting anyone. Happened near a school. Near where I used to live when I was an infant.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
I don't understand the gun culture here. There are people here who LOVE their guns. Like, they would go to war (but not actually go to war because that's too much work for most of them) just to keep their guns because "second amendment" (which actually states that guns should be handled in well regulated militias, not that every citizen should have access to military grade weapons)

There are some people arguing on the side of allowing people on the FBI watch list to have guns! It's... I don't get it. I know, maybe you're scared that the FBI will start putting everyone on the watch list. Trust me, I know the FBI, CIA, and other government agencies have some corruption in them... but look at this case? If a law was implemented to keep guns out of this guy's hands, 40 some people would be alive today.

But there's too many people in this country that think they are heroes, that they will be the ones to stop a mass shooter. That they can stop the next break in. That they are the next cowboys who will shoot up the saloon of bad guys and save the day.

redcrown

Awards
It really pisses me off that people are diverting the issue and pretending this is about Isis. No matter what he proclaimed in his last minutes, he was acting alone and for himself, and was a deadly mixture of self hating internalized homophobia and violent behavior.

It also doesn't matter much if the parents who taught him to have these hateful views did so in the name of Islam. Do you know how many Christians are teaching their children to believe gay people are of sin in the exact same way right now? No one is pointing this out either.

Pretty sure the Sandy Hook, Aurora, and Virginia Tech shooters weren't associated with isis either. They all had one thing in common; they were all mentally unhinged and were able to legally access weapons that are made to kill dozens of people within minutes.

Military grade weapons should not be accessible to civilians. End of.

Last edited:

Laeril

Awards
In my mind, hate crimes should count as terrorism. I don't really see much difference between them at this time in my life. The Klu Klux Klan and ISIS are both terrorist organizations to me. They both have the same root emotion: hatred. And we need hatred in this world like we need an atmosphere of mustard gas.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
It really pisses me off that people are diverting the issue and pretending this is about Isis. No matter what he proclaimed in his last minutes, he was acting alone and for himself, and was a deadly mixture of self hating internalized homophobia and violent behavior.

It also doesn't matter much if the parents who taught him to have these hateful views did so in the name of Islam. Do you know how many Christians are teaching their children to believe gay people are of sin in the exact same way right now? No one is pointing this out either.

Pretty sure the Sandy Hook, Aurora, and Virginia Tech shooters weren't associated with isis either. They all had one thing in common; they were all mentally unhinged and were able to legally access weapons that are made to kill dozens of people within minutes.

Military grade weapons should not be accessible to civilians. End of.

Agreed!

Did Omar ever have to reload his magazine? If he did and if it ran out several times then more people could have escaped. It seems like all these shooters came prepared during their shootings.

Does anyone remember that kid that stabbed ninety something people a few years back? I heard that nobody died and people like him are more easily dealt with since he probably didn't access to the extreme arsenal of weapons that the VA Tech Shooter, Columbine, and other shooters had access to. It's kind of hard for me to put what I am saying simply, but regulating weapons seems to play a role.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back