• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

New V-Jump Scan: Fantasia and Tron: Legacy Featured!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Eh, there was a bit of teenaged huffiness built into it, too ("Why don't you tell my father? You're good at that.")... she rejected the idea of going to Ursula at first until she realized Sebastian was spying on her (oh hey, shades of Terra!). She just doesn't really seem like a pure light character in any way that wouldn't render the entire concept pointless.

Now it just seems like one it nitpicking her character, which is fine. However, you also have to remember that:

1) Jasmine snuck out of the palace often leading to her encounter with Aladdin
2) Belle definitely had a temper when she talked back to the Beast after he saved her, and she was stubborn at first about dinner, despite the fact that she was hungry.
3) Alice starts to insult the Queen after she felt that she had more power as she grew in size.
4) As seen by the trivia, Kairi is illiterate and stubborn as she won't proof-read her letters jkjkjk [/sarcasm]

So Ariel had her faults, but so did some of the other princesses as well, it just goes to show that they are human :)

The_Dream_Shield

Website
backloggery.com
For Belle, keep in mind the fact that he had just imprisoneed her father and traded him for her xD But you're right they all have definite human qualities~ They still have traits that make them not all one-sided, they just don't go to extremes on the anything terrible ;3 I also think Ariel was better suited for not being a PoH though, but I wouldn't mind if she had been.

Ikkin

Bronze Member
Now it just seems like one it nitpicking her character, which is fine. However, you also have to remember that:

2) Belle definitely had a temper when she talked back to the Beast after he saved her, and she was stubborn at first about dinner, despite the fact that she was hungry.
3) Alice starts to insult the Queen after she felt that she had more power as she grew in size.
4) As seen by the trivia, Kairi is illiterate and stubborn as she won't proof-read her letters jkjkjk [/sarcasm]

So Ariel had her faults, but so did some of the other princesses as well, it just goes to show that they are human :)

Well, the point is, they're supposed to have hearts of pure light, unlike every other human in the universe. ;) And apart from Alice (whose movie I haven't actually watched), pretty much everything you mentioned there is completely justified. Jasmine sneaks out because she shouldn't have been locked up in the first place, Belle had a temper and was stubborn because Beast essentially had her as a hostage, and Kairi... yeah, let's not start with that. xD

Acting in one's own defense has never brought anyone's light in question. Purposefully acting out of spite brings in different considerations.

rac7d

The prince of Tides
Awards

I think what it was , that she disobeyed her father. Doing so almost destroyed them all, thank god for love and disney magic to save her in the end

kupo1121

Awards
I think what it was , that she disobeyed her father. Doing so almost destroyed them all, thank god for love and disney magic to save her in the end

She disobeyed her father out of her own passion. Since when was it so wrong to follow your heart? Triton was being stubborn and he didn't want her involved in anything with humans, which made sense considering Ariel's mother (Triton's wife) was crushed by a ship. She clearly knew that humans weren't as dangerous. Thanks to her curiosity she was able to save Eric too. I wouldn't call it spite in anyways whatsoever.

The reason she went to Ursula is because after Triton ruthlessly destroyed everything in her grotto out of blind rage (he didn't even allow her to explain), of course she was going to be tempted to leave that life and go to Eric by Flotsam and Jetsam. I don't blame her at all. If you were so outraged towards someone, and someone offered you a way to not only fix the problem, but to gain something you really want, how could you say no?

Ikkin

Bronze Member
She disobeyed her father out of her own passion. Since when was it so wrong to follow your heart? Triton was being stubborn and he didn't want her involved in anything with humans, which made sense considering Ariel's mother (Triton's wife) was crushed by a ship. She clearly knew that humans weren't as dangerous. Thanks to her curiosity she was able to save Eric too. I wouldn't call it spite in anyways whatsoever.

The reason she went to Ursula is because after Triton ruthlessly destroyed everything in her grotto out of blind rage (he didn't even allow her to explain), of course she was going to be tempted to leave that life and go to Eric by Flotsam and Jetsam. I don't blame her at all. If you were so outraged towards someone, and someone offered you a way to not only fix the problem, but to gain something you really want, how could you say no?

I don't actually have a problem with her disobeying Triton, per se. Triton was basically toeing the line between overprotective and outright abuse at that point.

But that's not exactly why she goes with Ursula, either. =P

Scene A:
Jetsam: Ursula has great powers

Ariel: The sea witch? Why, that's - I couldn't possibly - no! Get out of here! Leave me alone!

Flotsam: Suit yourself.

Jetsam: It was only a suggestion.

Triton's already messed up Ariel's stuff, but she still knows that going with Ursula would be A Very Bad Thing.

Then...

Scene B:

Flounder: (sniff) Poor Ariel.

Sebastian: I didn't mean to tell, it was an accident. (Ariel passes by.) Ariel - where are you going? Ariel, what are you doing here with this riff-raff?

Ariel: I'm going to see Ursula.

Sebastian: Ariel, no! No, she's a demon, she's a monster!

Ariel: Why don't you go tell my father? You're good at that.

She finds out Sebastian is spying on her, and goes to Ursula immediately to hurt him for it! She knows very well that what she's doing is wrong, but she does it anyway because she just doesn't care. It's a very human (and very teenager) reaction, but it's just about the opposite of what I'd expect from a PoH. XD Ariel's closest Disney princess parallel is probably Kiara, who I also couldn't imagine being a PoH (for reasons other than being a lion); she's nothing like the "classic" princess (Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty), and she's more flawed than any of the more recent ones who got chosen as PoHs (with the possible exception of Alice, who I really have no idea about character-wise outside of KH itself).

kupo1121

Awards
Scene B:

Flounder: (sniff) Poor Ariel.

Sebastian: I didn't mean to tell, it was an accident. (Ariel passes by.) Ariel - where are you going? Ariel, what are you doing here with this riff-raff?

Ariel: I'm going to see Ursula.

Sebastian: Ariel, no! No, she's a demon, she's a monster!

Ariel: Why don't you go tell my father? You're good at that.

She finds out Sebastian is spying on her, and goes to Ursula immediately to hurt him for it! She knows very well that what she's doing is wrong, but she does it anyway because she just doesn't care. It's a very human (and very teenager) reaction, but it's just about the opposite of what I'd expect from a PoH. XD Ariel's closest Disney princess parallel is probably Kiara, who I also couldn't imagine being a PoH (for reasons other than being a lion); she's nothing like the "classic" princess (Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty), and she's more flawed than any of the more recent ones who got chosen as PoHs (with the possible exception of Alice, who I really have no idea about character-wise outside of KH itself).

Scene A is fine and dandy, and I don't want to take up space, so for sake of saving time and space, I just removed that one lol xP

As for Scene B, you are right, she does talk back to Sebastian revealing she knows that he is spying on her, but she never states that that is the reason why she is going to Ursula. She just tells him to tell her dad because he always does regardless. Saying that she went just to spite Sebastian I think would be a giant assumption and I highly doubt that Sebastian is the true reason behind her going to Ursula lol xP

She made the choice out of blind rage it seems (I guess it gets passed down through the family), but hey, she isn't the only person who made a rash decision *cough* Belle *cough*

Yes, we all know Beauty and the Beast worked out fine and dandy and everybody was happy in the end. However, if we take just the scene where Belle tells Beast to take her, lets think about her decision. Her father was well into his old age, and was being kept in a dungeon. Had Lumiere and Cogsworth not hoped for Belle to be "the one," Belle may have been kept there as well. Had Belle been kept there in the dungeon (there was no evidence he would give her a room) she would likely have died of hypothermia within days, and her dad would have died of heartache soon after (or gone to the insane asylum, which we can discount as nobody knew about that yet). Even if her father went on to live a life of solitude and depression, he wouldn't have lasted much longer, and the pain of knowing his only daughter died for him would probably have taken him over. Thus, Belle's decision was rash and more dangerous for both of them, she put both of their lives at risk by doing so, and I think that decision was just as bad as Ariel's. She she was altruistic, but she was thinking without brains, and had everything not worked out, both her dad and her would have died alone and depressed.

Ikkin

Bronze Member
Scene A is fine and dandy, and I don't want to take up space, so for sake of saving time and space, I just removed that one lol xP

As for Scene B, you are right, she does talk back to Sebastian revealing she knows that he is spying on her, but she never states that that is the reason why she is going to Ursula. She just tells him to tell her dad because he always does regardless. Saying that she went just to spite Sebastian I think would be a giant assumption and I highly doubt that Sebastian is the true reason behind her going to Ursula lol xP

She made the choice out of blind rage it seems (I guess it gets passed down through the family), but hey, she isn't the only person who made a rash decision *cough* Belle *cough*

Never meant to imply there was anything wrong with Scene A (quite the opposite, actually!). XD

And, well, it's not all Sebastian's doing, but she certainly seemed to be flouncing away into the bad guys' hands in anger (...which I don't think you actually disagree with, and which, again, displays shades of Terra). I think we're on the same page here, at this point. However...

Yes, we all know Beauty and the Beast worked out fine and dandy and everybody was happy in the end. However, if we take just the scene where Belle tells Beast to take her, lets think about her decision. Her father was well into his old age, and was being kept in a dungeon. Had Lumiere and Cogsworth not hoped for Belle to be "the one," Belle may have been kept there as well. Had Belle been kept there in the dungeon (there was no evidence he would give her a room) she would likely have died of hypothermia within days, and her dad would have died of heartache soon after (or gone to the insane asylum, which we can discount as nobody knew about that yet). Even if her father went on to live a life of solitude and depression, he wouldn't have lasted much longer, and the pain of knowing his only daughter died for him would probably have taken him over. Thus, Belle's decision was rash and more dangerous for both of them, she put both of their lives at risk by doing so, and I think that decision was just as bad as Ariel's. She she was altruistic, but she was thinking without brains, and had everything not worked out, both her dad and her would have died alone and depressed.

It's not about bad decisions. Belle's sacrifice might not have been particularly well-thought-out, but its brand of rashness is quite characteristic of those with hearts of pure light (mainly due to the fact that, as you admitted, it's altruistic). Remember, Kairi hugged a Heartless and tried to fight Saix weaponless. Snow White trusted the hag. Thinking things through is not exactly a Princess of Heart trait. xD A selfless motive, on the other hand, is, and Belle has that while Ariel doesn't.

kupo1121

Awards
It's not about bad decisions. Belle's sacrifice might not have been particularly well-thought-out, but its brand of rashness is quite characteristic of those with hearts of pure light (mainly due to the fact that, as you admitted, it's altruistic). Remember, Kairi hugged a Heartless and tried to fight Saix weaponless. Snow White trusted the hag. Thinking things through is not exactly a Princess of Heart trait. xD A selfless motive, on the other hand, is, and Belle has that while Ariel doesn't.

Thinking things through is exactly what Ariel wasn't doing just like Belle. One could say Ariel's motivations were selfless, but then again, they could also call them for the better of mankind because Ariel in the end, united both land and sea, so it all worked out in the end (just like Belle). Both their decisions were rash and had consequences, but the only difference is that Belle did her's to save someone else. What Ariel did on the other hand was not supposed to harm anyone, she knew Ursula was bad because of her father, but her father also called humans bad. Going by that same logic, if humans weren't all that bad, then maybe Ursula wasn't either in Ariel's mind. Also, when she went to Ursula, it was to gain something for herself, but it wasn't supposed to hurt anyone in the process (Ariel was very naiive). So could one really say what Ariel was doing was selfish considering, in her mind, it was only going to help?

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
How did we get from Fantasia and Tron Legacy... to this? o___O

blueheart

Bronze Member
She finds out Sebastian is spying on her, and goes to Ursula immediately to hurt him for it! She knows very well that what she's doing is wrong, but she does it anyway because she just doesn't care.

She doesn't go to Ursula thinking, "My father will definitely feel bad about this, see how he feels!". Triton just destroyed fragments of her passion to go to the human world. She felt she had no choice if she wanted to be happy in life. She was only concerned with "escaping" since she didn't want to live like that anymore with her father. She just decided to see Ursula right then because Triton destroying her things was the final straw for her. It was out of desperation, not spite.

She knew dealing with Ursula was risky, but she was willing to if it meant she could live on land with the humans and not live the life she wasn't happy with. Also, why should she keep believing her father about anything he has ever said, if his belief stopped her from going to the human world and destroyed her most prized, precious possessions?

kupo1121

Awards
How did we get from Fantasia and Tron Legacy... to this? o___O

Would you enjoy to choose our next Disney movie of topic lol? It seems like we are skipping around Disney movies. I was hopping to discuss Make Mine Music next :D [/sarcasm]. I guess there is only so much Fantasia and Tron Legacy can hold before we start getting slightly off-topic?

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
Would you enjoy to choose our next Disney movie of topic lol? It seems like we are skipping around Disney movies. I was hopping to discuss Make Mine Music next :D [/sarcasm]. I guess there is only so much Fantasia and Tron Legacy can hold before we start getting slightly off-topic?

Ooh ooh ooh, can I? :D (is currently excited about pretty much everything thanks too a slight high from drugs needed to heal troath)
How about Fun and Fancy Free? That augtha satisfy Nomura's current need for maximum Mickey-ness and we get to fight a gian. :3 Or: (looks at shelf) Robin Hood. Or the Three Cabaleros. Sword in Stone for an explanation about Merlin comes from. Previously unfinished Jungle Book. The adventures of Ichabod (to replace Halloween Town as spooky world) and Mr. Toad (because whatever)

cloudzack117

wow this game comes out in about a month. At this point im hpoing i can get that rematch with chernabog. Him and the maleficient dragon were the only bosses in the entire series i legitimately had problems with other than secret bosses. Also who is hoping for daft punk to contribute for tron legacy?

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

lmfao I know you guys get off topic easily~ (and not just slightly) As long as you know you are and stop when you realize it or move to the appropriate thread, that's all good :3

Tails_Night

Bronze Member
Kinda makes me hope sora will get a light-disc tron-based keyblade. Then again, a black keyblade with neon glow would be awesome. I think it's cool that even rinzler is there, looks like someone decided to up their security on their computer. edti: woah wait just remembered... you know the system according to tron in KHII is a copy of the original... maybe this ones the original... that'll be awesome sora hitting the true tron system. And being like eh... where's tron, and everyone being like who are you?

kupo1121

Awards
Kinda makes me hope sora will get a light-disc tron-based keyblade. Then again, a black keyblade with neon glow would be awesome. I think it's cool that even rinzler is there, looks like someone decided to up their security on their computer. edti: woah wait just remembered... you know the system according to tron in KHII is a copy of the original... maybe this ones the original... that'll be awesome sora hitting the true tron system. And being like eh... where's tron, and everyone being like who are you?

You mean like this from Birth by Sleep?

No_Name_(Aqua)_KHBBS.png

Tails_Night

Bronze Member
I do think the No name is sweet and really cool, but I was thinking more like matching the tron outfits, light cycles, etc, if they made a keyblade like that, that'd be pure sexy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back