• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

TV ► Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events - Coming to Netflix

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Loved the twist though I kinda called it.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

KeybladeOrder

Awards
Just finished the first season this morning. I really loved the way they pulled this show off. Neil Patrick Harris as Count Olaf and Patrick Warburton as Lemony Snicket were amazing, really, just everything about this show just clicked. And I haven't even read the books in years, nor did I obsess over them the way people got hooked on The Hunger Games, Harry Potter, or Percy Jackson (all of which I enjoy, but not to the point of feeling like I have to own my own copies of the books). This series has managed to get me excited to re-read the original books again and I can't wait for more.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
I've watched the first three episodes and I'm a little partial to some parts. Sunny is adorable, but her green subtitle dialogue is hideous. If they opted for normal white, it would have been fine. The green screens are very noticeable. They are most noticeable in the first two episodes and make it seem like very low cost production. Some scenes felt very scripted. I was hoping Violet would be more ambitious. She has her moments, but often feels dull. WTF MR. POE DOES NOT COUGH THAT MUCH CHILLLLLLLLLLLLLLL. Lemony's role is repetitive. I get the joke about "don't watch these unfortunate events" but do you have to say it every time? It became stale after the third show. Hats off to Patrick Harris and Joe...oh I mean Patrick Warburton, for their performances to say the least. Also, who ever played Monty did a hell of a job.

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
I watched the first four episodes and I'm not sure the new scenes and script changes actually benefit the story. Also, the series still works best with original lines from the book while the new comedic moments (specially by Olaf) take the most away from it. The sense of dread is really missing, but let's see how it will work out for the books to come.

That being said the cast is spot on and the sets are great, I'm still missing the outstanding score by Thomas Newman of the first movie.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
I don't have Netflix. Where can I watch it other than signing up for a Netflix account? I am also hesitant to watch it especially with how the last one back in 2004 with Jim Carrey went. I don't think I liked it because Count Olaf was played off as pretty much a comedic villain rather than the serious one as portrayed in the books. I remember him being court ordered to go through each of the scenarios that he put his foster children through like the car being parked on the tracks.

D

Deleted member 36435

The sense of dread is really missing, but let's see how it will work out for the books to come.
Did we read the same book series? Count Olaf has always been a comical villain at best. There isn't much "dread" as you know the series is going to quite literally just be a series of unfortunate events, and as such you don't really dread anything. It's just a matter of what it's going to be, but you know it'll turn out fine really.

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
Did we read the same book series? Count Olaf has always been a comical villain at best. There isn't much "dread" as you know the series is going to quite literally just be a series of unfortunate events, and as such you don't really dread anything. It's just a matter of what it's going to be, but you know it'll turn out fine really.
I disagree, especially in the beginning he was a real menace, and at least if he is alone with the children he was rarely comical. That changes around book 9\10, when the scope of the events are broadened, but my point still stands.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
I don't have Netflix. Where can I watch it other than signing up for a Netflix account? I am also hesitant to watch it especially with how the last one back in 2004 with Jim Carrey went. I don't think I liked it because Count Olaf was played off as pretty much a comedic villain rather than the serious one as portrayed in the books. I remember him being court ordered to go through each of the scenarios that he put his foster children through like the car being parked on the tracks.

I think Neil Patrick Harris is better at Olaf`s role than Carrey. There is this comedy in it, but at the same time I think he can be quite terrifying when he is alone with the kids and he drops the acting. Like when as Stefano he slams the huge knife onto the door and starts to slowly approach the orphans. There is none of those silly facial expressions that Carrey did.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
I've finished the last episode. Well...it does add more "oomph" than the movie by covering Lucky Smells. The TV show does a better representation about how Count Olaf alludes the children with each cunning disguise than the movie. You can view the evolution of his disguise in the show quite well, which should be noted.

I was not too much of a fan of the third book in the TV show. I believe Alfre Woodard is a good actress (Mariah from Luke Cage bitchesss), but her character is just over the top, much like Mr. Poe. She says the more important lines, but it just becomes cringe worthy near the end.

Overall, I am impressed how this show went from "wow..this is mediocre" to "what do you mean only 8 episodes?" and completely convinced me to look out for the next season.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Watched this with my sister a few weeks back and the second last episode destroyed me emotionally:
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Recon

Art of War
Awards
Season 2 is currently out. I'm up to Book 6 now, and the show actually does a great job of intertwining plot points. Take note Kingdom Hearts *ohhh burn*

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
I don't kniw that I even finished the first episode of this show, if I did then I didn't finish the second. I mean, it wasn't bad, but I just wasn't digging it.

TruestSyn

Bronze Member
Awards
I'd read all the books before season 1 aired so I could do a good comparison and their decision to make each book two episodes really lets them get all those extra details in there and I think it's a fantastic series. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it all ends on screen in season 3. I'm really hoping they don't play down the ending or try to alter or change it in any way. I think the Snickett Files book had some of the other secret agent stuff in it but I never read it, but I really hope they don't use that secret agent sub plot to change the ending to something a bit more happy. The appeal to this series was always "there is no happy beginning and no happy ending, and very few happy things happen in the middle" or however that line went.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back