• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Learning a Language

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aria

braver by the minute
So I've been taking a Spanish class at my high school, and I'm just not getting it at all. I pay attention in class but I still feel like I'm not retaining any of the information. My grade is starting to dip and I can't understand a word the teacher is saying. I've tried reading the vocab words daily and I always do the homework, but I just can't memorize the words. Does anyone have any suggestions/tips on how to learn Spanish?

Raiton Kensei

Peace through Violence
Awards
Well, I'm learning Japanese right now in college and it's pretty easy. I had spanish in high school too and I passed with a C. My guess is learn a language that interests you. You know, a language where you find interest in their culture so you want to learn the language. That's what I'm doing now and I find it easier for me to learn Japanese than Spanish.

Laz

KHI's Asz-Houl
So I've been taking a Spanish class at my high school, and I'm just not getting it at all. I pay attention in class but I still feel like I'm not retaining any of the information. My grade is starting to dip and I can't understand a word the teacher is saying. I've tried reading the vocab words daily and I always do the homework, but I just can't memorize the words. Does anyone have any suggestions/tips on how to learn Spanish?
Surround yourself with it. Listen to spanish music, tv shows. That's what I did with english and..look im not that bad at it ;)
Oh and I know spanish, it's my first language. Just in case you need any help.

Last edited:

Sawah

unofficial HOTH
Awards
i'm currently taking spanish as well.

and i had the SAME EXACT problem as you; i knew absoultely nothing even though we would review it constantly! D: what i did a lot was try speaking it in real life, i.e. to your friends or parents. i would try bringing up a conversation with someone about what i'm learning in spanish and then start saying everything you know in spanish. sure, it would kinda freak the other person out, but at least you'd know it.

another thing we started doing in my class was having our own study group. the entire class meets in a classroom after school and we just review EVERYTHING we learned in that day/week/chapter. it's helped me LOADS and my grade is starting to go back up.

so yeah talk to your other classmates and try getting a study session together with them. it sounds stupid, but it's really not.

SilentTrinity

Master of the ECKKK
yeah i have the same type of problem
basically its easier to do the work, and read Spanish than it is to speak it sometimes if your not use to it.
for me its easier to read and write Spanish than it is too speak it.
but yeah just practice it with others and you should be able to learn it faster

Zeagal

Lick It Good
Flashcards Flashcards Flashcards, they can be a big help with memorization. Also try to get pictures to go with the words. Sometimes I found it helpful.
Also try not to spend a huge amount of time looking over the vocab, you'll overload your brain. Just take a few every night and practice them for a good 15 minutes.

Crimson Crashing

Inferno - R.I.P <3
Awards
Well, I'm learning Japanese right now in college and it's pretty easy. I had spanish in high school too and I passed with a C. My guess is learn a language that interests you. You know, a language where you find interest in their culture so you want to learn the language. That's what I'm doing now and I find it easier for me to learn Japanese than Spanish.

This.

I have been taking Spanish in school for about 5 years now.
I have been teaching myself Japanese since last Summer, and I know more Japanese than Spanish.

Zeagal

Lick It Good
Well that's not going to help her. She can't change whether she likes Spanish or not. I hate Spanish and I didn't want to learn it, but I know it.

Aria

braver by the minute
Thanks for the advice guys! I think the wanting to learn it might be part of my problem too. I wanted to take French or Japanese, but my Dad made me take Spanish. The study group sounds like a really good idea, I'll have to talk to my friends to see if they would be interested in it. I was looking at my library and they have books like Harry Potter in Spanish, do you think that would be helpful too?

Eun

If you have time, you can always take some online courses in spanish.
Like I've been studying Korean and Japanese on "Livemocha"
Its basically alot like Rosetta Stone but free
/ i know i sound like an ad lol

Zeagal

Lick It Good
I was looking at my library and they have books like Harry Potter in Spanish, do you think that would be helpful too?
I would not recommend that. If you don't know enough Spanish it will be a chore just understanding a sentence. If you know too much Harry Potter, your mind will just focus on how you remember it in English and not the Spanish. That's why my class can't watch movies with subtitles.

Aria

braver by the minute
I would not recommend that. If you don't know enough Spanish it will be a chore just understanding a sentence. If you know too much Harry Potter, your mind will just focus on how you remember it in English and not the Spanish. That's why my class can't watch movies with subtitles.

Okay, I've heard people recommend it but I really don't know enough Spanish to read it. Thanks for your help :)

Crimson Crashing

Inferno - R.I.P <3
Awards
Okay, I've heard people recommend it but I really don't know enough Spanish to read it. Thanks for your help :)

Might seem like homework or something, but look into the culture, find something you like about it.

I have liked anime and manga since I was a kid, so reading mangas in Japanese that I have NOT read in English is fun.

And watching new animes in Japanese serves well for entertainment.
It keeps me from getting bored with the language.

Xiao

serious at least all of the time
Awards
I'm a freshman majoring in German right now, I'm taking what can pretty much be considered as level 6 out of 7. One thing I wish I had done since I started learning in high school was MORE. VOCAB.

Here's what you do. Dedicate a certain amount of time each day to vocab. Write down the spanish word (with the definite article) and its English translation over and over again. I promise (99% anyway :D) that it will work. Make yourself write it down again and again until you think its a stupid idea.

Ip Man

IIIIZAAAAAYAAAAA

Shes not asking what language she should learn, she's asking for help with Spanish because that's what she's taking.

[And btw (this is for all japanese learning people who are in the US), unless you're actually planning on pursuing a future in Japan, learning Japanese is pretty useless. If you want to learn a language, Spanish is the way to go. Its almost a second official language here in the US so you'd have more opportunities for jobs and such since many businesses would rather hire a bilingual person who speaks Spanish rather than Japanese. Just a word of advice.]

Now, back on topic. If you can, try asking your teacher if she can provide some tapes you can listen to on your free time.1) When I learned English, I spent hours listening to tapes on my headphones in my room and in 4 months time, I learned English perfectly. Its all about repetition (at least for me it was). Like someone said too, surround yourself with it. When you have time, instead of watching American Idol (im not suggesting you watch it, just an example), flick through the channel to Telemundo or something and watch, or rather, listen to it. 2) As I was learning English, I didnt watch a single Spanish channel, all I did was watch shows in English. If you have Telemundo, there are some shows that have English Closed Captioning; so while you're listening to it, you can read the subtitles and pick up words and understand them better how they're used (hmmmm, that sounds familiar. oh thats right, just like how you pick up words from watching anime). And 3) Hang around people who speak Spanish more and try to speak it with them, hell even ask them for advice as well.

Remember, its all about practice. Learning a language is not about smarts or anything, it's about dedication and effort. Dont think that a class a day will make a Spanish-person out of you, or just doing the homework. You need to pursue it on your OWN free time; dont think, "oh, i finished the homework, i guess that's enough". No, if you think you're still clueless, instead of turning on the TV or something, keep that book open and study/practice until you actually feel like you learned something that day. Like I said, I spent hours locked inside my room studying English, and unless you think otherwise, I'd say Im fucking good at it.

Aria

braver by the minute
I'm not sure if we have telemundo, I'll have to check it out. I'll ask my teacher about the tapes too.

Oh, and your English is better than some of the people who have it as a first language on here :)

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
There's only a few things I can say:
- American public high school second-language teaching is absolute shit and will never teach you anything useful or retainable in the real world.
- To successfully learn a new language, go somewhere that speaks the language for at least 6 months. You will be surprised at how quickly you will learn.
- To successfully learn a new language, you have to start young as your brain remains impressionable.
- Watch Univision, Telemundo and Galavision channels to get used to Spanish being spoken to you. My mother learned English by watching TV, and my stepdad is learning Spanish by doing the same. It helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back