• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts Nitpicks

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Nomura hits us hard with those super emotional cry scenes from Sora and Kairi after the game ends for the first two numbered titles, then forgets one of them exists until Dream Drop Distance. Dude. You had me SO hooked as a kid.

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
Nomura hits us hard with those super emotional cry scenes from Sora and Kairi after the game ends for the first two numbered titles, then forgets one of them exists until Dream Drop Distance. Dude. You had me SO hooked as a kid.

More than just a nitpick that's one of the most common complaints I keep hearing from fans and quite an obvious big probelm tbh. You can't have a character hyped as super important and special for two games, then have her be really underwhelming in third and then just make her disappear. I used to like Kairi as a kid but then KH2 happened and after that she just never did... anything again. Kairi's importance to Sora is super inconsistent and it's quite annoying.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Another thing that bothers me: I've been replaying DDD a few times lately and my God they play the generic sad music A LOT. Like, we get it, there are sad moments, that doesn't mean you have to underline each one of them by playing the music.
That's another bad habit DDD picked up from BbS.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Another thing that bothers me: I've been replaying DDD a few times lately and my God they play the generic sad music A LOT. Like, we get it, there are sad moments, that doesn't mean you have to underline each one of them by playing the music.
That's another bad habit DDD picked up from BbS.
And on another of DDD's music choices, they use Olympus Coliseum's theme a couple times in Country of Musketeers. Granted, I do think it fits the scenes it was used in, but.....it's also hard to watch when you suddenly have an urge to get on the hydra's back.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
The fact that the music for Traverse Town in Dream Drop Distance was a variation of the original. I appreciate that Shimomura tried to change it up a bit, but the original music was some of the best video game music around, and the new theme... it's just bland.

Also, Country of Musketeers' battle theme is criminally good for an otherwise mediocre world.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
DiZ claims the black coats prevents your presence from being sensed. After it's been shown Riku and Zexion can sense and identify people wearing the black coats.

Muke

whatever
Awards
I really don't like that they took out the first person mode in favor of zooming in very slightly (in 0.2). I mean, I never used it, but stiiill, not called a nitpick for no reason.

Unumus

Awards
idk if this is a nitpick but something that I really hate about the handheld ports on 1.5 and 2.5 is that I expected the camera to be a lot further away from the character since it wasn't on a handheld screen anymore but they left the ratio the same, if that makes sense. I really hate it and it makes the game feel cheap in my opinion.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
1. Maleficent coming back by being remembered. Don't give me that shit how is anyone supposed to die for good here.

I always hated this. This never made any sense to me. No other character in this universe comes back to life simply by being remembered, nor is it ever explained how it's possible. It's just "Oh yeah, I remember. Oh shit, there she is."

Desii

Guys, I think the remembering thing is because in her film she does gain power by being remembered so it makes sense kinda? idk, I don't like it either.
Btw I wanna say I hate the FOV on KH series, it is just too small.

Also I've been reading and its not just me, I hate how Kairi's being forced to be important. (Know it has been talkd a lot but I want to say it anyway) She's only appeared in a few scenes in BBS KHI and II, yet now she is goes from being Sora's prize to 'Hey look I'm a cool Princess-Guardian Keyblade Wielder"
It really sucks how she's had no dev. We really Don't know Kairi, she hasn't shown any personality because she hasnt had any time to. The only thing we really know about her is that she's good because she's all light and... that's all. Even if we get to know her a little in III it'll be too forced, it really worries me, she's going to be a main character, and I don't know if I want to after all those missed opportunities.
Like, seriously, she could be the most fun character or she could be a typical girlie or even not be a talktative person yet it'd fit the character, because she's not even a character itself, she's just a pinkish npc with some cute lines. And don't get me wrong, I have always loved her but now it feels too late.
Axel-Lea's also been forced A LOT to be important just because of popularity, and it is because he's always had a personality, he HAS shown us more about him than many of the characters in most of the game. At this point I don't mind him being a Light Guardian if he gets to, I didn't mind he getting a Keyblade and I will like him being a main character again, because we know him, his goals, what he wants, he's earned it. We got to know him more than one of the 'most important' characters in the whole story. Was it too difficult to give Kairi any actual love?

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
KH1 Kairi was spot-on, imo. And I can still look at CoM without feeling she needed to be there in person and do stuff. It's from KH II onwards that she has no excuses.
That's the real issue, Kairi doesn't need to be forced important, she legit is. Or rather, was.
The first title hinted at how the Princesses weren't just your average "x pieces to make Doomsday happen" of any jrpgs, they had powers against Darkness ands Heartless of their own.
Sadly, that whole shtick was dropped harder than Sora's dinner, and now they're trying to bring her back in action... how? By resurrecting those powers she totally has and used? Making her the Orihime back when Bleach was actually good? A "Saint of Light" amidst these Keyblade users? But of course not, Keyblade it is. Because she grazed Aqua's once, and that's totally believable as a Ceremony and not something that makes it look silly and should give a Keyblade to everyone from Jack Sparrow to Pete.

This is why people should be "mad" at DDD's ending imo: not because Kairi, the useless character is back, but because Kairi is yet another character rewritten to better fill... whatever Nomura's plan is, I guess.

Sorry for the brief rant. Stressful day, I wanted to vent a little bit.
About Maleficent, I think you're right, but I've seen the movie so long ago so don't quote me on that, but I too still don't like it. Yet another, and even major, bad consequence of having your game follow the movie's plot instead of actually bother creating one.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Kairi's part of a grander problem: the series treats keyblade wielding status as a promotion. Every important character's gotta have a keyblade now or else what's even the point of them? Axel/Lea had a distinctive weapon & fighting & now he's stuck with a weapon that everyone else has. Riku could've had an arc about letting go of the keyblade & that he doesn't really need it but nah, let's give 1 of his own anyway. Kairi could have developed a gameplay style based purely on her Princess of Light powers (especially since the other princesses could never be depicted as such), but more keyblades, more keyblades for all. Tigger will have a god damn keyblade at this rate.

Dissidia: Kingdom Hearts would be so shitty if it were to get made now because everyone would have the same moveset.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Yeah, that was sleep-deprevied me was trying to say, basically.
The individual perks characters do have are being scrapped because Keyblade is all the rage (literally).

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
So the 7 lights recreated the worlds after they were originally destroyed by the Keyblade War.......when exactly? Kairi, Alice, Jasmine, etc. are clearly not centuries old. Also none of them seem to recall that they've done this at all. If the PoH are suppose to be reincarnations or whatever the games have certainly never stated as such.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
It was never stated anywhere that the seven lights recreated the worlds, there was ony ever the mention of some "children" doing the rebuilding.
The seven lights are the substitute/replacement for the lost true KH which hold the current world order afloat.

Guernsey

Awards
Sora's personality in KH2 and DDD, in the former's case it has more do with the script but in the latter's case it was Sora being a parody pf himself in the game. I could be wrong but Sora just wasn't very interesting in those games.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Riku gaining Way to the Dawn with zero fanfare. THIS SHOULD BE A BIG THING! A kid who's trying to redeem himself for all the crap he's done, even lost his original Keyblade to his best friend due to his actions, becomes the big-hearted dork we know and love, and gained a new Keyblade to protect what matters. You'd think Riku gaining Way to the Dawn would be, oh, I dunno, an important part to Riku's character arc and would be treated as such, but nope! He just....has it by the end of the KH2 for no reason and absolutely no one ever questions or acknowledges it, not even Mickey or Riku himself.

You can replace it with Soul Eater and nothing would change.

Heck, Riku even still calls it the Soul Eater if you talk to him near the end of KH2. Was he originally NOT going to have a new Keyblade at all? Was he going to gain it during Yen Sid' Mark of Mastery but it got changed to happen much earlier? (Looking at everything, it actually does make more sense for him to gain it during the MoM.)

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Another one for me is that I always found it funny that Goofy dislikes weapons and sticks with shields. Yet said shield could still be considered a weapon since it gets the job done of killing heartless and other enemies.

LadyRamkin

My biggest nitpicks are:
1) How generally vague everything is seemingly deliberately made. (In game AND interviews)
-
2) How, when we finally get something not vague, its in a books long wall of ex positional dialog.
-
3) How things get retconned with wanton abandon, adding to the general vagueness and uncertainty.
-
4.1) How in kingdom hearts one, Sora/Riku were seemingly gifted the mighty keyblade by the universe in an act of cosmic significance
-
4.2) How that is made apparently untrue in every other game
-
4.3) how it is once again seemingly made cosmically significant in in 0.2.
-
EDIT:
Finally 5), the culmination of everything so far.
Where do key blades come from?
We know that keyblades are "man made"
We know that there are many MANY keyblades
-
In KH1, Riku is.... Chosen, by the keyblade. The kingdom key.
So, it must have just been, out, existing in the universe, until it decided that it would choose him
This, just out in the universe thing is supported by the Kingdom key D in 2.0. Just out, magically existing, doing its cosmic thing.
-
But then there are all the Keyblades in the keyblade graveyard.
Are they too, sitting and waiting to choose an owner?
Or do keyblades lose their powers when their masters die?
In that case how do the kingdom key and the Kindom key D still have powers, and still choose people?
-
And then what about the way to dawn and Lea's keyblade?
They in particular seem to be representation of their specific owners. So did Riku and Lea forge these keyblades? How? Were they too just floating around in the universe waiting to choose someone? If so, How/WHY did anyone make a keybalde in the age of fairytails with Lea's chakram and flame design? Or a keyblade that incorperates Rikus.... evil sword desgin?!?!
-
Then their is Kairis Keyblade, which Riku literally pulled out of his butt and handed to her. She neither forged that, and it didnt choose her. So where did it come from?!?!?
And how was he even carrying it around? You can only carry more than one keybalde if you have more than one heart.
-
In BBS we learn that Riku can use a keyblade because of Terras bequeathing. So that means that Riku was then cosmically chosen by the Kingdom key, lost it, and then was magically chosen by/forged the "way to dawn". Does that mean that if you have the power to wield one, you can just keep pulling them out of the ether until one sticks???

Last edited:

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Another one for me is that I always found it funny that Goofy dislikes weapons and sticks with shields. Yet said shield could still be considered a weapon since it gets the job done of killing heartless and other enemies.
Reminds me of the myth on how clerics weren't allowed to to shed blood so they would use blunt weapons such as clubs. Cutting is bad, but smashed skulls and internal bleeding are a-okay!

Back