• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► IGN: Why Kingdom Hearts 3 was delayed and Big Hero 6's absence

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Re: IGN: Why Kingdom Hearts 3 was delayed and Big Hero 6’s absence

At least we now have confirmation the delay had nothing to do with development. I'm not sure how January 29th is considered a marketable release date. I'm expecting it to get delayed again if that was the only reason for the first one.

2.8 released in the same window, so they already have an idea of how a KH title will perform around that time. If they didn’t think it would sell well enough there, they would have picked another date. Plus, it gives time for people to play their holiday games and get ready for something new. I trust Disney to know what they’re doing.

Most likely, they were planning to release it at the 13th anniversary in Japan. So probably the 21st, the Friday before. But in the West, that’s too close to the holidays to expect families to get out and buy the game as they’ve mostly completed their holiday shopping by that point.

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
Re: IGN: Why Kingdom Hearts 3 was delayed and Big Hero 6�s absence

With the inclusion of a city-based world (Big Hero 6), it makes me excited for future Kingdom Hearts titles to do justice to cities as an environment type! Like, just imagine Zootopia.

I need to watch BH6 before KHIII comes out. It is one of those films that kind of flew by me as an adult.

ultima-demi

(>..)>
Awards

I'm hoping BH6 is set at night. Cities always look the best at night, especially with all dem lights D: dang.

ImVentus

Awards

I'm hoping BH6 is set at night. Cities always look the best at night, especially with all dem lights D: dang.

Would be better if it goes from dawn to dusk naturally.

Recon

Art of War
Awards

It is suspected that some worlds will have a day/night cycle judging from the Pirates of the Caribbean trailer.

DizneyXBirds95

Awards

It is suspected that some worlds will have a day/night cycle judging from the Pirates of the Caribbean trailer.
The Frozen world that was shown in the 3 trailers also did featured a day/ night cycle.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards

2.8 released in the same window, so they already have an idea of how a KH title will perform around that time. If they didn’t think it would sell well enough there, they would have picked another date. Plus, it gives time for people to play their holiday games and get ready for something new. I trust Disney to know what they’re doing.

Most likely, they were planning to release it at the 13th anniversary in Japan. So probably the 21st, the Friday before. But in the West, that’s too close to the holidays to expect families to get out and buy the game as they’ve mostly completed their holiday shopping by that point.

And people will be more excited to spend $60+ on a game a month after they've just gone broke?

I think the date they've given is just to get the fans acclimated to a 2019 release date. Then they'll wait until December, when the game's just on the horizon to push it back two more months rather than announce it's almost a year off now to save themselves some of the fan reaction.

Ranma

Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com

Delayed to accomodate a silmutaneous release, and yet it is not a silmutaneous release.

2 quid is good

Awards

Delayed to accomodate a silmutaneous release, and yet it is not a silmutaneous release.

How very Square of Enix. Just give it to all of us on Friday man

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards

And people will be more excited to spend $60+ on a game a month after they've just gone broke?

I think the date they've given is just to get the fans acclimated to a 2019 release date. Then they'll wait until December, when the game's just on the horizon to push it back two more months rather than announce it's almost a year off now to save themselves some of the fan reaction.

Why though? Especially since the game will be practically finished by this winter. I feel like your being pessimistic just for the sake of it.

Awards

this would be called bad bussiness, if they just wanted to release in 2019 they would just say that the game would be out in 2019 and don't give a date... they presented to their assionists that this game would be out during the 2018 Fiscal year and January is still the 2018 fiscal year, that wouldn't be good business at all and Nomura seems to be firm, I don't get why everyone is so negative lol

also they never talked about the game being in a development hell, nomura stated that this is just a marketing decission to get the game out as silmutaneous as possible

is just a 4 days gap lol I think Japan had a release like a month or two before the ww release so 4 days is nothing lol

Elysium

Awards

Why though? Especially since the game will be practically finished by this winter. I feel like your being pessimistic just for the sake of it.
Sometimes it pays to be pessimistic. I didn't believe the game would get released in 2018 either and it isn't. I'll believe it's out in January when it's actually in my hands.

I remember when Utada was ribbing SE to hurry up with KH3's release or she would just put out the theme song without them. "Oath" is getting released on her album now; I hope "Don't Think Twice" is released digitally somewhere around the same time so her English fans don't have to wait forever.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards

People will have had about 2-3 paychecks to recover from that, so yeah. Plus, people can pre-order it at anytime. But people, at least in the US, generally don’t like to shop for this kind of thing that close to Christmas. Also, it would cannibalize sales of Just Cause 4 which releases December 4th. As for Disney, they’ll be focused on marketing for Mary Poppins Returns.

In January, both companies will be able to devote the prime amount of resources to marketing this game. Disney doesn’t have anything else major coming out until March, so they can really focus on marketing this game at a level unlike ever before. (Something unquestionably deserved since the animation quality is on par to better than the originals films.) Shoot, they could even release a trailer with Wreck It Ralph 2 in November since it appeals to the same audience looking for Disney crossovers.

Sometimes it pays to be pessimistic. I didn't believe the game would get released in 2018 either and it isn't. I'll believe it's out in January when it's actually in my hands.

I remember when Utada was ribbing SE to hurry up with KH3's release or she would just put out the theme song without them. "Oath" is getting released on her album now; I hope "Don't Think Twice" is released digitally somewhere around the same time so her English fans don't have to wait forever.

If you choose to be pessimistic, that is fine. But don’t expect others to agree with you and don’t act like we’re foolish when we don’t. One of the key differences with this game compared to FFXV and other games is that it is a collaborative effort between Disney and Square Enix. SE doesn’t have to only meet its own standards and goals, but Disney’s as well. If they have set this date and publicly revealed it, it is because both companies have full confidence that it will release by that point.

Elysium

Awards

If you choose to be pessimistic, that is fine. But don’t expect others to agree with you and don’t act like we’re foolish when we don’t.
???? I don't believe I did anything of the kind? I posted my opinion and then was responded to by multiple people attempting to "correct" me into silence with why my opinion must be wrong because XYZ opinions of theirs. I'm sorry if the fact that I don't see this company the same way you do bothers you. Scroll on by if you don't want to read.

Leaferian

Awards

Happily I already preordered it, but man if I hadn't had the money. Christmas cash from relatives is how I usually buy the 1-2 titles I've wanted most all year.

Also, I'm really not worried about BH6. The KH3 team is really killing it with their environments honestly, so when Nomura says cutscenes just aren't finished yet I believe the man. Hopefully we will get some footage of it at TGS, or perhaps an earlier Japanese-audio showing at Gamescom in August.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards

As I've said previously, I don't really care much when this game comes out personally as I'll find a way to set aside time for it and/or just play it at my own pace without any worries. I'll try not to get "spoiled" but if it happens it isn't the end of the world for me: if the story is strong it will hold up regardless of what I know going into it, and if it's heavily predicated on convoluted plot twists then that will still diminish its long-term appeal even if I don't see them coming the first time.

I'm glad Nomura addressed the delay directly, that was all I really hoped for and it was the right thing to do. Also it's egg on the face for all the overzealous fans who immediately blamed the YouTubers for daring to offer their critiques and impressions of the game they were invited to play for exactly that purpose, so that's karma.

If you choose to be pessimistic, that is fine. But don’t expect others to agree with you and don’t act like we’re foolish when we don’t. One of the key differences with this game compared to FFXV and other games is that it is a collaborative effort between Disney and Square Enix. SE doesn’t have to only meet its own standards and goals, but Disney’s as well. If they have set this date and publicly revealed it, it is because both companies have full confidence that it will release by that point.
But really, Tartarus's and others' "pessimism" already resulted in them being right once in the face of people refuting them with this exact line of thinking, that there's no way SE and Disney would commit to 2018 if it wasn't coming out in 2018, and look what happened. You obviously have a right to trust their new release date and in all probability they'll stick to it if only because it would be really bad PR to delay it again, but there's just no argument to be made that expecting the worst is in any way a fallacious position to hold when it's already borne itself out once with this title. If anything, there's technically more justification for thinking that a second delay is possible, precisely because the first was an unexpected outcome.

raccoonscity

Website
raccoonscity.tumblr.com

A few days ago I was kinda bummed that weren't both releasing on the 25th, but now I'm so relieved.

People will have a month's worth of paychecks and possibly Christmas bonuses as well as money from family. They also have 7 months to save up if they weren't already. January might not be as ideal of a time slot as November-December, but a game with a lot of excitement and attention can still sell well regardless.

I feel like they won't push it off again, because for one thing that would look awful for them after this delay, and also because there's no reason to if they can get both JP and WW versions by then. They won't have problems localizing/shipping it and development is going fine for their original 2018 release. I don't think one delay automatically means they're going to delay it again and again.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Re: IGN: Why Kingdom Hearts 3 was delayed and Big Hero 6's absence

I forgive you, Nomura, for the lack of Big Hero 6 so far but pls finish those cutscenes!!! I'm desperate to see some San Fransokyo gameplay!

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Re: IGN: Why Kingdom Hearts 3 was delayed and Big Hero 6's absence

I forgive you, Nomura, for the lack of Big Hero 6 so far but pls finish those cutscenes!!! I'm desperate to see some San Fransokyo gameplay!

Nope, wait it out. Wait it out until every other Disney world has been shown off. I want San Fransokyo to put every other Disney world chosen to shame. Make it that beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back