• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► I need your honest opinion

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Destiny's End

The Best in the World at What I Do
Ok, I need an honest opinion on something. Does music really show people who you are? Because speaking as a black male, I listen to alot more Rock than Rap and Hip-Hop because I can understand Alternatove Rock more (you know what I mean). I was a HUGE Rap Fan, but I just fell out of it and now I listen to a lot more Rock. I mean Kanye West is my favorite rapper, but Linkin Park is my favorite band. They got me into Rock. I mean, I switched from a 50 Cent Music Video to an Evanescence Music Video. Does that make me any less black? I mean, I don't even sound black anymore. All I have is the color of my skin, and that's all I have. I have different music interets, and some people don't understand that. I can't play basketball, or bust out a freestyle on the spot. Is there something wrong with me, or do people just don't understand?

The Big Lovin'

Everyone's Favorite Uncle Ji-Chan
You're not a stereotypical black person and you think something is wrong with you? Kids pick on you at school or something?

Destiny's End

The Best in the World at What I Do
If you want to put in that sense, but I wouldn't go as far as saying I get teased like some 8 yr. old getting picked on by a bully.

The Big Lovin'

Everyone's Favorite Uncle Ji-Chan
Ok, harassed, rather. I'm just saying, do they give you problems because you're black, but don't act accordingly to the way they think you should act?

Nintandy

Bronze Member
Well music is music, I think what you are interested in can sum up your inner self. We're all unique, and music becomes a huge part of our lives, especially in terms of sentimentality. If you're obsessed with a certain type of music, that can turn into a stereotype, but it's good to have different tastes. So I think it can portray who you are as a person, and there will always be stereotypes, but really it just makes you more of individual.

As for your skin colour, that shouldn't determine your interests. You are who you are, nobody should have a problem with that unless you bring harm to others. Just be happy for what you like, and don't succumb to trends just because you feel you have to.

-- Andy

Awards
Ok, I need an honest opinion on something. Does music really show people who you are? Because speaking as a black male, I listen to alot more Rock than Rap and Hip-Hop because I can understand Alternatove Rock more (you know what I mean). I was a HUGE Rap Fan, but I just fell out of it and now I listen to a lot more Rock. I mean Kanye West is my favorite rapper, but Linkin Park is my favorite band. They got me into Rock. I mean, I switched from a 50 Cent Music Video to an Evanescence Music Video. Does that make me any less black? I mean, I don't even sound black anymore. All I have is the color of my skin, and that's all I have. I have different music interets, and some people don't understand that. I can't play basketball, or bust out a freestyle on the spot. Is there something wrong with me, or do people just don't understand?

I mean, you should listen to the music that you want to listen to, and not the music that you think you're supposed to listen to because your skin is one color or another. I mean, it's not like your skin is going to lighten itself because of the things you hear. You know what I mean?

CAB_IV

Website
www.freewebs.com
This is why their is still racism in the world. YOU HAVE NO OBLIGATION TO YOUR "RACE". You don't have to look black, and trying to look like some sort of stereotype is not right. Just do what makes you happy.

SO many people i know go out of their way to be whatever race it is that they are, when that is quite possibly the dumbest idea, ever. The whole idea of this country is to be a "melting pot", and to not hold on to ridiculous stereotypical nonsense.

You don't just have the color of your skin. You have you, you as an individual, not as a part of a group. Do what you want to do.

Danica Syer

Trivia: Love ღ
So I see your situation...well, there will be people who will still be racist in this world and you can't change that but you can ignore about the snide comments they make about you. Listen to what you want to listen to and it does not go to judge your skin color because anybody can listen to what type of music they want, nobody has to listen to what they have to listen to. Steroetyping is stupid and lame and I don't think you should give in or whatever the others who will discourage you for the sake of them being superior and they're insecure and anyway, you're yourself and not nobody else. As I always like to say, "Being yourself is being somebody," so just be yourself and because there will be nobody like you and also don't let try to walk over you, just listen to what expresses you as a person because that's what important.

Last edited:

Rix

:)
Awards
I think that it is stupid that you "have to" act in a particular way or listen to a particular music genre just because of your skin color.. Just be yourself the way that you are and the way you want to be:) Skin color doesn't matter at all in my opinion.

Lycanthrope

Gold Member
Awards
Wait, you think something is wrong with you because you're black and don't listen to rap?

I see nothing wrong with that. It just means you're not stereotypical.

SuperEclipse

~Ichiban~
Awards
Website
www.spirasdestiny.net
It can yes but sometimes it has nothing to with that..

But like many, I listen to everything, well but Rap, R&B and Country..

Look the stuck up rich kids.. I seen them all the time listening to EMO music..

Agent007

I ♥ Livi
Website
www.myspace.com

Man there is nothing wrong with you at all. I am 100% Spanish and I don't listen to any Spanish music whatsoever. That does not make me any less Spanish. I listen to just about everything else though. Rap, rock, country, and a ton of metal. Nothing makes you less black. You are just learning of other types of musi and your ethnicity should not reflect what you listen to.

Well music is music, I think what you are interested in can sum up your inner self. We're all unique, and music becomes a huge part of our lives, especially in terms of sentimentality. If you're obsessed with a certain type of music, that can turn into a stereotype, but it's good to have different tastes. So I think it can portray who you are as a person, and there will always be stereotypes, but really it just makes you more of individual.As for your skin colour, that shouldn't determine your interests. You are who you are, nobody should have a problem with that unless you bring harm to others. Just be happy for what you like, and don't succumb to trends just because you feel you have to.

-- Andy
Very true. If it was not for music, I think I'd shoot myself.

So I see your situation...well, there will be people who will still be racist in this world and you can't change that but you can ignore about the snide comments they make about you. Listen to what you want to listen to and it does not go to judge your skin color because anybody can listen to what type of music they want, nobody has to listen to what they have to listen to. Steroetyping is stupid and lame and I don't think you should give in or whatever the others who will discourage you for the sake of them being superior and they're insecure and anyway, you're yourself and not nobody else. As I always like to say, "Being yourself is being somebody," so just be yourself and because there will be nobody like you and also don't let try to walk over you, just listen to what expresses you as a person because that's what important.

Yeah, don't feel bad because someone is telling you or making you feel that you have to listen to something different.

Sean

Ehhhhhh
Awards
Well I honestly don't care what people think of me just because i listen to rock, alt, or metal. I'm black/mexican yet people portray me as being more of the black side. Even though some will call you a "wigger" or whatever just don't let that get in your head. I'm not telling you to lower your self-esteem, but just be yourself. You shoudn't give a damn about what other people thing, just go along with your business.

My two cents.

ViVi94

Trying to escape the land of idiots and retards
hey, if anyone gives you trouble on what you listen to, get a raidio and blare Alternative in their face! I do things like that when boys say I'm weird because I'm a girl and I listen to alternative, plus I read mangas in front of the people that think I'm weird for liking anime in a ghetto neighborhood. It's quite fun actually... (Oh, and you rock for liking Linkin Park, my all time favorite band :D.)

AkuRoku_Lover

Honestly, I don't think music shows your personality/ who you are... I too have different music interests; I'd rather listen to games' background songs instead of songs sung by people which is even weirder. So far I haven't met someone who has the same music interest as me, but I'm ok with it. You don't need to worry just because you're black, it's perfectly fine... Don't push yourself too much.

risingfalls

Disjoin Remorse From Power
I totally understand what you mean DE, b/c I'm pretty much the same way, boxed into a stereotype.
Yes, music does say something about a person, to an extent. It doesn't make you any less black. Your music is your music, not the ethnic stereotype's music. Listen to what you love, and don't care who says what about it. I listen to all kinds of music from everywhere, and I've found that there are those who think that you and your music are just plain weird, and those that appreciate your taste in music.

(Do you have those friends who ask, "Are you black?" when they hear the kind of music you like? I've been asked that, and it annoys the me so much....)

Pelafina

lately, lovely
Awards
Music can help define you, but it shouldn't be the sole factor. [Or even close.]

Same with clothing or anything else. Some days I dress goth, some days I'm wearing a tucked in shirt.

That doesn't mean I'm a completely different person on those different days.

Hypoxium

stuff
Awards
Let's say you were the first black person born on Earth. None of this stuff existed yet.

Would you have acted like the stereotypical black man? No, because there would be nothing to influence you. You would have just acted on your own thoughts.

Skin doesn't freaking matter, most intelligent people aren't stereotypical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back