• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► HOMEWORK HELP THREAD!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiceKiller

hope I don't rust
I need a bit of help with my English III homework. The assignment is identifying schemes and tropes. I tried doing some of the sentences and I would like I'm correct or not.

He was was and compassionate as a truck driver, but as a professor, inefficient and ineffectual. Antithesis

Government of the people, by the people, for the people. Asyndeton

She had a love for knowledge. Knowledge, however, did not come only from books and little pamphlets left by the Hare Krishna. Anadiplosis

Pleasure's a sin, and sometimes, sin's a pleasure. Antimetabole (really not sure on this one)

Loving life, we left the loft hand in hand. Alliteration

Let man acknowledge his obligations to his family, his country, his god. Parallelism.

Last edited:

The Fishman

Keyblade Master
I need a bit of help with my English III homework. The assignment is identifying schemes and tropes. I tried doing some of the sentences and I would like I'm correct or not.

He was was and compassionate as a truck driver, but as a professor, inefficient and ineffectual. Antithesis

Government of the people, by the people, for the people. Asyndeton

She had a love for knowledge. Knowledge, however, did not come only from books and little pamphlets left by the Hare Krishna. Anadiplosis

Pleasure's a sin, and sometimes, sin's a pleasure. Antimetabole (really not sure on this one)

Loving life, we left the loft hand in hand. Alliteration

Let man acknowledge his obligations to his family, his family, his country, his god. Parallelism.

They all seem right to me if all you had to do was identify the literary element! Good job.

Last edited:

DiceKiller

hope I don't rust
Okay, thanks a lot. I've been having a bit of trouble in English so this would help my grade. My main problem is that I have trouble trying to put my thoughts into words.

Edit: Okay, I need help with two more sentences, I can't seem to figure them out. =/

Looking out at all these sails in the ocean, I realized how much I want to travel.

The crown has decreed that all young girls are invited to the ball.

Last edited:

The Fishman

Keyblade Master
Okay, thanks a lot. I've been having a bit of trouble in English so this would help my grade. My main problem is that I have trouble trying to put my thoughts into words.

Edit: Okay, I need help with two more sentences, I can't seem to figure them out. =/

Looking out at all these sails in the ocean, I realized how much I want to travel.

The crown has decreed that all young girls are invited to the ball.

Are you given any choices for answers other than the ones you gave above as answers in you original post or can it just be any literary element that fits for each sentence?

DiceKiller

hope I don't rust
The instructions are:

For the following sentences/passages, identify the scheme(s) or trope(s) used. There may be more than one scheme and/or trope in each sentence/passage.

The Fishman

Keyblade Master
Tropes and Schemes
http://web.cn.edu/KWHEELER/documents/Schemes_n_Tropes.pdf

these two links(look more at the second one) should give you all the schemes and tropes in case you don't know them.
after you told me that there may be more than one scheme or trope in each, it got me thinking again, so i'll try to help you as much as possible
as i'm looking at them now, each one most likely has one scheme/trope, but i'll try to check them to see if there is more than one in each

DiceKiller

hope I don't rust
Thanks for the links.

So now I think that:

The crown has decreed that all young girls are invited to the ball. Metonymy

I'm still trying to figure out the next one.

The Fishman

Keyblade Master
In the original post, I believe that there is only one scheme/trope for each, and you got them. I can't see any other s/t for those sentences, unless they're hidden somewhere, but I would just double-check if I were you.
I also think that metonymy describes that one sentence since the phrase makes"crown" a more general idea and not an object

Edit: Actually: Climax (also called Auxesis and Crescendo) -- Arrangement in order of increasing
importance: "Let a man acknowledge his obligations to himself, his family, his
country, and his God."

Let man acknowledge his obligations to his family, his country, his god. Parallelism.(I think it's also Climax if you can put that)

DiceKiller

hope I don't rust
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I could Climax too, though I should probably put Climax first since it's probably the best answer.

As for the other sentence (Looking out at all these sails in the ocean, I realized how much I want to travel.), the only other trope/scheme I think it could be is Synecdoche. What do you think?

Last edited:

The Fishman

Keyblade Master
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I could Climax too, though I should probably put Climax first since it's probably the best answer.

As for the other sentence, the only other trope/scheme I think it could be is Synecdoche. What do you think?

it makes sense since you're using part of a physical object ( the sail ) to describe the whole object (i'm guessing the ocean/traveling)
i can't think of anything else for that one, that's a tough one.

Edit: Word of advice, one thing I learned from English is that you can never be wrong if you support your answers or ideas, just thought I should say that
Also, for that sentence about traveling, the one you thought is Synecdoche, well it has to be a trope because it doesn't exhibit any qualities of a scheme to my knowledge.
And the only trope that made sense for this sentence is synecdoche, so that's my reasoning for that answer

Last edited:

DiceKiller

hope I don't rust
Ahh, I see. I just got a little nervous since a lot of the students I share the class with try a little too hard. I guess I feel a lot more confident about my answers in English now. I know that today we were going over tone shift and I thought that there was a tone shift at a certain point, but the teacher didn't mention it when going over the answers. I know I could have supported my answer and I had even written down the evidence, but I just got nervous and I didn't tell her.

Anyways, thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciate it.

The Fishman

Keyblade Master
Ahh, I see. I just got a little nervous since a lot of the students I share the class with try a little too hard. I guess I feel a lot more confident about my answers in English now. I know that today we were going over tone shift and I thought that there was a tone shift at a certain point, but the teacher didn't mention it when going over the answers. I know I could have supported my answer and I had even written down the evidence, but I just got nervous and I didn't tell her.

Anyways, thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciate it.

no problem, good luck with the rest of English 3, i hope you got all of those questions correct.
I felt the same way about other people trying harder. I just used to sit there and make one-word comments when my teacher called on me to talk (actually made him and the class laugh every time), while everyone else was trying so hard in the class.

anyway, for example, when i had english 3 a couple of years ago in high school, i used to b.s. some of my answers and get them right because I presented supporting evidence to make my answer more effective. My teacher actually encouraged us to b.s. because it illustrated our thought process. English isn't meant to be concrete, but abstract because of varying opinions and varying ways of thinking.

Every teacher has a different way of teaching the material, but I agree with my old teacher on that one even though some teachers might not for some reason.

αsiя

space coke
im in 10th
i flunked geometry last year
im right now in geometry B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back