• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

General Allergy Discussion

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

MangaCrazy101

The Blonde
Awards
Website
mangacrazy101.blogspot.com
So the thread name says it all; What are you allergic to and how do you deal with it? What do you think future generations will be like dealing with viruses/allergies in such a sterilised environment.
Do you believe that playing in dirt, and being susceptible to foods when we were younger has increased our immune systems way of dealing with allergies?
Do you need an epi en? Are you screwed? Or only mildly allergic?

I happen to have a few allergies, though most are mild reactions.

1. Tetanus shots. When I was like 6 I had to have shots before starting school (this is a law in Australia I have no idea about anywhere else), my whole arm puffed up apparently I was seeing things. I don't remember much but the fact I got to eat icecream after getting out of hospital. lol

2. Peanuts. Not the "Oh my gosh she's going to die!!!" reaction. But I get an inflamed throat and it nearly blocks my airways. I can have traces of peanuts ect. But I can't have peanuts, peanut butter or that Thai peanut noodle stuff.

3. Iodine. You know that weird chemical in fish and eggs? Well only a mild reaction that makes me sick. Eggs aren't that high in iodine so they're okay as long as they're in small amounts but fish and seafood. Oh my gosh I get so sick. :/

4. Pretty much all make up/ skin care/ soap products. I have the most sensitive skin in the world. I have to test every single foundation/ hair dye/ shampoo I buy on my skin before I use it. It sucks. Dx

5. Lavender. This kind of comes under the sensitive skin one but oh well, just the smell of this stuff drives my allergies crazy. x'D

6. Only a potential allergy- Morphine, my Mother, Grandmother, Aunt and sister are allergic, so I have to be aware, since I've never had morphine.

So yes, what about you?

Last edited:

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
Re: What are you allergic to?

This thread was a great idea, Manga! ^^ I don't have very many allergies myself. And none of the ones I do have are fatal.

-Bee stings. These merely cause my airway to close up a bit. Nothing too bad, though. Unless it was a whole swarm or something. :p

-Poison Ivy. I know, most people have a reaction to it. In my case, though, It is extreme. Found that out the hard way. Covered in bumps for a week, head to toe. Yeah, I'm not sure why.

Anything else, I'm not sure of, unless extreme susceptability to sunburns counts. I've never had to have Morphine, so I'm unsure about that. :p

Chill

Silver Member
Awards

Only got one, and not sure if you'd consider it an allergy buuut;

If I eat anything that is artificially coloured red, mostly lollies, it triggers my asthma and makes it harder to breathe.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com

peasants

also: my asthma is triggered/linked to air pollutants so it's the closest thing i have to an allergy; it's why i moved from pakistan to canada at a young age

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I'm only allergic to amoxicillan which isn't really a big deal. Though I think I'm becoming allergic to pollen and other shit but I just deal with it.

Fun fact: my doctor doesn't believe the amoxicillian thing but he's a dick but idk

Apparently when I was a kid I went kinda crazy on it and even bit my mom??

Light

faster than
Awards

I have Coeliac disease, which isn't technically an allergy. But it means I can't eat gluten = wheat, oats, etc.
If I do, then I become one colossal gas factory, or a spew farm... and over time, will get bowel cancer.
Lots to look forward to!

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards

Nothing that I don't think pretty much everyone has a reaction to anyway, like getting scratched or bitten by a cat and having the area puff up or get itchy.

Also, can this be a general allergy discussion thread? I feel bad for the kids of the next generation - they're going to live in such sterilised environments when it comes to viruses and generally dirty stuff that they'll have no way to deal with it effectively.

meirge

Website
coldghosts.tumblr.com

can't eat most fish, catfish gives me the worst reaction. mostly stomach/digestive sickness along with bad headaches.

a friend of mine gave me a bite of a dish with tilapia in it because he thought my vomiting reaction to fish was just a mental thing. we aren't friends anymore

Zen

Silver Member
Awards

can't eat most fish, catfish gives me the worst reaction. mostly stomach/digestive sickness along with bad headaches.

Oh yeah, I have that too. I can't eat any fish without getting some really bad indigestion to the point where sometimes feel like puking, so I stay away from it.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards

I have seasonal allergies which are pretty bad. I think I'm slowly outgrowing them though because they're definitely not as bad as when I was a kid.

But I am severely allergic to cats. It's not deathly, but it's close to that. My throat becomes itchy and scratchy and I start to lose my voice. My eyes turn red and swell up, and I get hives all over my body. Funny thing is that I like cats. Luckily though, I don't get these effects unless I come in contact with a cat or with their dander.

My best friend has tons of cats and they just roam around his house, and since we spent a lot of time together, he desensitized me. Problem is since we don't hang out as much as we used to, I get a severe reaction whenever I'm over his house. Like, when I smoked bud for the first time, I remember freaking out because I didn't know whether or not I was getting an allergic reaction to it.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards

I'm allergic to apples and carrots, which I love so I eat them anyway. Then I chug a bottle of water because my throat won't stop itching.

Also, can this be a general allergy discussion thread? I feel bad for the kids of the next generation - they're going to live in such sterilised environments when it comes to viruses and generally dirty stuff that they'll have no way to deal with it effectively.
Yeah, this is a pretty interesting topic. I remember when I was growing up, that hand sanitizer was extremely rare and now it's everywhere. Parents are so overly cautious about their children coming into contact with germs. I can't imagine how often kids are probably get the flu or the cold in the future.

MangaCrazy101

The Blonde
Awards
Website
mangacrazy101.blogspot.com

Wow every one has a variation of what they're allergic too. It's very interesting keep them coming guys!

It sure can be, I see where you're coming from. My cousin has three kids under the age of four and makes sure she's not too protective of them because of this. But I think that's only because of the way we were brought up.

So yeah- this morning I trod on a rusted nail. I missed the doctors by like 15 minutes and tonight I have to go to the hospital to get it checked, but I'm allergic to tetanus, so I haven't had a booster sine I was 4-5. :/ My mum thinks they'll give me an anti-biotic or something.

Also could a mod change the name of this thread to 'The General Allergy Discussion Thread'. Thanks.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
@Manga: I think YOU can change the name. Go to your first post, hit "edit" then "go advanced". It should give you the option at the top to change the thread's name. Hope that helps. :)

iDrops

It's a Farce...
Awards
I don't have any allergies~ Hopefully...

When I was younger though, my Mother used to think that I was allergic to tomatoes as she thought they would bring on my eczema. I don't believe that though. XD

Neko

Keep Holding On
Awards

I am mildly allergic to peanuts and tree nuts. I get major indigestion if I eat them and I am sensitive to the smell of them. I cannot sit near someone eating peanut butter.

Mistearea

Fear the Mist
Shifting through the spaces like only Mist can.
I've got a couple allergies.

Rosephin - Some anti-biotic that's really good. I've been allergic for as long as I can remember, so I have no idea what happens to me.

Bees, Wasps etc. - Let me put it this way. If I get stung, I'm dead before you can finish telling the ambulance to get here.

Milk - When I drink skim milk my throat swells and cuts off most of my air and is pretty painful. I've tried with other milks, but the reaction just gets worse the closer it gets to whole milk. I'm too scared to go for that little experiment. But because of this, I can't have anything with milk unless the milk gets broken down quite a bit in the making.

Shawty

Awards
I actually think I'm allergic to eyeshadow, my eyes get irritated really badly when I wear it, I might have to go get it checked.

inasuma

i'm gonna be
Awards
Peanuts and bird dust. I hear peanuts is pretty common but I've never really met anyone who has a bird dust allergy. Basically, the dust floods my lungs and I suffocate. I used to have bad asthma so it did help, either. Luckily it has gone away for the most part.

I actually think I'm allergic to eyeshadow, my eyes get irritated really badly when I wear it, I might have to go get it checked.
It's probably a chemical in the eye shadow. If you can find out what it is and get your own custom eye shadow, probs won't be so bad. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back