• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy XVI

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
EiD-hvxWoAY5Bcc

Trailer (September 16th, 2020):

Press release (September 16th, 2020):
Press release

During today’s PlayStation 5 Showcase event, SQUARE ENIX® revealed that acclaimed creators Naoki Yoshida (FINAL FANTASY® XIV, DRAGON QUEST® X) and Hiroshi Takai (FINAL FANTASY XIV, THE LAST REMNANT™) are collaborating on an all-new standalone mainline FINAL FANTASY game, titled FINAL FANTASY XVI, for the PlayStation 5 (PS5™) system.

Comment from Producer Naoki Yoshida
FINAL FANTASY XVI producer (that’s right, just producer) Naoki Yoshida here. How did you enjoy the trailer? The exclusive footage, comprised of both battles and cutscenes running in real-time, represents but a fraction of what our team has accomplished since the start of development on this, an all-new FINAL FANTASY game. In that span, the team’s size has grown from a handful of core members to a full-fledged unit that continues to polish and build upon what they have created so far, all to provide players an experience unmatched in terms of story and gameplay.

Our next big information reveal is scheduled for 2021, so in the meantime, I expect everyone to have fun speculating, as we have a lot in store—not only for FINAL FANTASY XVI, but for FINAL FANTASY XIV, too. Needless to say, I’ll be working hard on both!

Comment from Director Hiroshi Takai
When FINAL FANTASY I was released, I was just another player─a young student with big dreams. By the time FINAL FANTASY V was in the works, I had earned myself a seat at the developers’ table... albeit at the very end. From there, I moved “online” leaving my mark on both FINAL FANTASY XI and XIV.

And now...XVI.

From the establishment of an all new development environment, to learning the ins-and-outs of the PS5, the team and I have taken on countless challenges during our journey to bring you the sixteenth chapter in the storied FINAL FANTASY franchise. And though we’re pouring our hearts and souls into this project each and every day, it may still be some time before we can get it into your hands. However, I promise it will be worth the wait!

FINAL FANTASY XVI is a single player action-RPG being developed for the PS5. This title is not yet rated.

What we know:
• Only on PS5
• Main character is a prince named Joshua
• Prince Joshua can transform (and so can his sword)
• Some thing/s called "Mother Crystals"
• Medieval setting
• Gameplay somewhat similar to FINAL FANTASY XV
• Summons are pivotal to the story (Phoenix and Ifrit are on the game's logo)

Last edited:

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
Looks amazing. We also know btw that they recently brought on the battle director for Devil May Cry, presumably for this project. Can definitely see it in the gameplay.

Also, I know he vehemently denied it, but this definitely looks like it’s produced by Yoshi-P’s team.

EDIT: Yoshida just confirmed this on Twitter:

NoWay

Awards
I'm hyped, but everything looks like they repurposed FFXV assets.
I really don’t mind IF the game has a complete story and some fresh looking graphics. The trailer looked really good! But well, let’s hope that the game’s not a mess like FFXV :ROFLMAO:

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Press release

During today’s PlayStation 5 Showcase event, SQUARE ENIX® revealed that acclaimed creators Naoki Yoshida (FINAL FANTASY® XIV, DRAGON QUEST® X) and Hiroshi Takai (FINAL FANTASY XIV, THE LAST REMNANT™) are collaborating on an all-new standalone mainline FINAL FANTASY game, titled FINAL FANTASY XVI, for the PlayStation 5 (PS5™) system.

FINAL FANTASY XVI producer (that’s right, just producer) Naoki Yoshida here. How did you enjoy the trailer? The exclusive footage, comprised of both battles and cutscenes running in real-time, represents but a fraction of what our team has accomplished since the start of development on this, an all-new FINAL FANTASY game. In that span, the team’s size has grown from a handful of core members to a full-fledged unit that continues to polish and build upon what they have created so far, all to provide players an experience unmatched in terms of story and gameplay.

Our next big information reveal is scheduled for 2021, so in the meantime, I expect everyone to have fun speculating, as we have a lot in store—not only for FINAL FANTASY XVI, but for FINAL FANTASY XIV, too. Needless to say, I’ll be working hard on both!

When FINAL FANTASY I was released, I was just another player─a young student with big dreams. By the time FINAL FANTASY V was in the works, I had earned myself a seat at the developers’ table... albeit at the very end. From there, I moved “online” leaving my mark on both FINAL FANTASY XI and XIV.

And now...XVI.

From the establishment of an all new development environment, to learning the ins-and-outs of the PS5, the team and I have taken on countless challenges during our journey to bring you the sixteenth chapter in the storied FINAL FANTASY franchise. And though we’re pouring our hearts and souls into this project each and every day, it may still be some time before we can get it into your hands. However, I promise it will be worth the wait!

FINAL FANTASY XVI is a single player action-RPG being developed for the PS5. This title is not yet rated.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
We also know btw that they recently brought on the battle director for Devil May Cry, presumably for this project.
So I'm assuming fast paced action combat with deep RPG mechanics. Thanks for sharing!

I really don’t mind IF the game has a complete story and some fresh looking graphics. The trailer looked really good! But well, let’s hope that the game’s not a mess like FFXV :ROFLMAO:
haha, my sentiments exactly.

let’s hope that the game’s not a mess like FFXV :ROFLMAO:
I'm optimistic and don't think it will hahahaha

Press release

And now...XVI.

Thanks for sharing, Chaser!

I'm kinda bummed this isn't doing it for me at all. Hopefully future trailers will manage to grab my interest more than this one did.
The trailer's presentation is a tad bore, but it picks up.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Final Fantasy XVI is here! Wow! And it looks medieval style setting too. How I've missed the more medieval/fantasy setting in Final Fantasy. All I ask for is two things. Non-human party members and girl party members. I miss my girls, FFXVI bring them back please!

SweetYetSalty

Awards
This is all speculative, but perhaps Summons will be party members again.
You know what would be cool? Having a Chocobo party member. I want Final Fantasy to embrace it's fantasy world elements like it use to. I want to see other species of creatures as their own city or race among the world. I really miss worlds presented in games like FFIX or FFXII and having non-human members. Like what even is Quina? I miss characters like that.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
You know what would be cool? Having a Chocobo party member. I want Final Fantasy to embrace it's fantasy world elements like it use to. I want to see other species of creatures as their own city or race among the world. I really miss worlds presented in games like FFIX or FFXII and having non-human members. Like what even is Quina? I miss characters like that.
That's a good idea, but per the trailer, Chocobos are gonna be a vehicle again haha

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Yay, another medieval setting. Called it :). Trailer was great and the mythology looks interesting. Better start saving for a PS5

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
The humans are summons it seems. Joshua transforms into Ifrit but the narration also says he is Phoenix...The MC can use Phoenix's wing, Titan's arm...We'll have to wait and see
Interesting. This is kind off of a mix between human and non human, haha. Thanks for the observation.

Also, someone jokingly said on Twitter that Summons could fight a la Pokemon and I made this as a joke, lol:

Attachments

• Battle Scene.png
    Battle Scene.png
    150.4 KB · Views: 12

AegisXIII

Awards
Actually. It's for PC too no? I saw something like that in tiny characters at the end.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Actually. It's for PC too no? I saw something like that in tiny characters at the end.
It is.

Edit: maybe not. Demon’s Souls PC was rescinded and Square Enix is refusing to talk about PC.

Last edited:

2 quid is good

Awards
Guys.... Is this the Luminous engine?

Edit: Not that I have any problems with that if it is the case, I would love to see a Luminous redemption arc but that is a veryyy tone deaf move from Square. A friend and myself have been joking about the possibility of the new FF being on Luminous but it seemed so ludicrous, now I am severely doubting that, and I really hope if it is Luminous they have a handle on it now. I don't think they can risk another victim to that engine

Back