• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age - July 11th 2017

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
REALLY TRULY HONESTLY?!

Let me check the most recent trailer.
Byez8eN.png

tenor.gif

IT'S TRUE! IT'S REALLY TRUE!

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MY GOD! Seeing is believing you guys!

EchoFringe49

I'm so impressed by the changes in this remaster, they've really went above and beyond.
I'm also so glad they changed Vaan's abs, they made him look like so weird and creepy.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
I was never bothered by his ab textures in the original. I just figured it was part of the game's art direction. I mean, all of the faces also look sort of "painted on" and very close to the actual illustrations by Yoshida. The game has a certain aesthetic that really sets it apart from other games in the genre, I think.

GochuJang

So anyone else put in over 200 hours into this game when it was released on PS2? >.>

It was pure joy getting those hunts done and I don't think I ever got as nervous till I found out that you can get the Zodiac Spear if you fulfilled certain conditions.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I was never bothered by his ab textures in the original. I just figured it was part of the game's art direction. I mean, all of the faces also look sort of "painted on" and very close to the actual illustrations by Yoshida. The game has a certain aesthetic that really sets it apart from other games in the genre, I think.

Ivallice Alliance games have a unique art style to them. So FFXII being a part of it, it makes sen for it to look unique as you say. :)

Max

Staff member
Awards
I don't disagree about the art style, but to me the abs just always popped out in a bad way regardless. The faces do have an almost beautifully drawn look to them, but they don't look completely flat and double-sided-taped on like the abs did.

7th_heaven

Awards
I miss Hiryoko Ito-san :frown:
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age Developers Talk About Their Return To Familiar Grounds - Siliconera

When last Siliconera spoke with you, you mentioned that Hiryoko Ito was working on balancing the game. What sort of challenges did Ito-san make? Did he suggest anything that surprised you?

Kato – First off, FFXII: The Zodiac Age (Zodiac Age) is based upon a 2007 PS2 game that was only released in Japan, Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System (FFXII – IZJS). The major difference between the original version and 2016 is that, in the original FFXII, Ito-san was the director, so he let the younger staff work on the battle design. Ito-san, of course, oversaw it, but he left them to do it themselves.

When we created FFXII – IZJS a year later, he went in and reconstructed every single element of the battle design. When I replayed FFXII – IZJS when we initially started working on Zodiac Age, I noticed that all of the elements that really resemble what he does – his methods when he creates a battle design – are in there. It’s still very fun to play that game, even now.

When we started working on Zodiac Age, I went along with Katano to speak with Ito to talk about what Ito wanted to do, or wanted us to do, that was different, or how he wanted us to change the game. He said he wanted it to be much easier to explore – much easier to play. So, we introduced the High Speed Mode, the faster loading times, and now that it’s become far easier to play, I’ve noticed the greatness of Ito’s design as well.

Also, it helped me to explore around the world even more when I’m testing Zodiac Age – that I find things in the world that I didn’t notice before. It’s really made me think that he’s a really good friend and a really good game creator.
What were the thoughts behind creating the High Speed Mode?
Katano – We actually had that mode in the game as a debug function. It was a very nice mechanic to have in there when we were Q&A-ing. When we released FFXII, we received a lot of feedback saying that the world was really vast, and it’s really hard to get from place to place. So, when we released FFXII – IZJS, we had incorporated that double speed mode as per Ito’s suggestion.

When Ito first suggested that to me, I asked ‘Is it even ok to have that in a game? Is that even accepted? (laughs). He said “Yeah, it’s fine.”

Kato – Ito is the type of person who doesn’t want to make users or players work to play the game.
When we were developing the original FFXII, we already knew we were going to take off that function because it was a debug tool – we weren’t going to have it in the master build. When we released the game, he said “That’s such a great function. I love using that. Why can’t we have it in?” He kept on complaining, so when we had it in FFXII – IZJS, he was very happy.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
I never got to play IZJS but boy oh boy, would that speed option have been wonderful in vanilla. So glad they added it - I love exploring FFXII just as much as the next dude, but once you've seen an area a certain amount of times, it's nice to just speed through. Especially when you're just looking for treasure or doing hunts.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
I always heard how vast (and long) the areas were to trudge through. I never got to play vanilla XII, so I suppose I will be missing out on all the 'work' Katano described. :}

Ugh, I really cannot wait to play this. I've still been tinkering on XV and various other newer games, that I haven't touched the KH or FFX remasters, but XII's will definitely take priority. I've been wanting to play it over a damn decade now.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
It's good that SE is exploring past FF titles, seeing as how it might be good for the brainstorming phase of FINAL FANTASY XVI.

Max

Staff member
Awards
This literally looks like it's fixing every gripe I had with the original. I'm pretty excited for this!

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
It's good that SE is exploring past FF titles, seeing as how it might be good for the brainstorming phase of FINAL FANTASY XVI.

I really hope this remaster is both well reviewed, received and sell a lot of copies. I get that it's not as popular as X, but I think that in general it's the best one to look to for inspiration on how to move the series forward.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
FFXII vanilla is my personal favorite FF so maybe I'm just biased, but I'd definitely love to see the next mainline FF take inspiration from FFXII.

Rael_Oblivion

You can now pick two jobs per character. Once a license board has been complete, it will unlock a plus mode where you can add an addition job's license board. This means you can use all twelve jobs in a single playthrough now!
I'm more excited about this than Vaan's abs, which never really bothered me. It's still a little limiting, but not nearly as much as losing out on half the jobs in each playthrough! I loved the freedom that the license board in vanilla XII gave me, and I was super worried about only having six jobs in this version.

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
I think the feature I'm looking forward to the most is actually the fastforward option because I do recall the game feeling a bit slow so it's going to help the tediousness a bit.

Max

Staff member
Awards
I think the feature I'm looking forward to the most is actually the fastforward option because I do recall the game feeling a bit slow so it's going to help the tediousness a bit.

The fastforwarding is going to be SOOOO nice for grinding. I have a PS2 save on my memory card where I have like, 14 hours in the beginning and still have only Vaan because for whatever reason I wanted to grind. To think my work from that time can now be doubled (not that I'll grind so much this time around, that was weird).

Rael_Oblivion

The fastforwarding is going to be SOOOO nice for grinding. I have a PS2 save on my memory card where I have like, 14 hours in the beginning and still have only Vaan because for whatever reason I wanted to grind. To think my work from that time can now be doubled (not that I'll grind so much this time around, that was weird).
I used the Dustia trick to level grind at the beginning, so I have a similar save file. Since we're talking about it, anyone want to discuss their favorite grinding spot in XII or leveling trick? Has anyone used the Negalmuur method? I never got the right gambits for it, but I've heard it's a good exploitation of the gambit system since it requires no effort when actually grinding.

Back