• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy VII - PC-to-PS4 Port out now!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Re: Final Fantasy VII - PC-to-PS4 Port coming October 2015!

I watched the longer version of Advent Children again a while back, and while listening to the movies glorious soundtrack, I got inspired and just started to write stuff that popped into my head. I know this might not have anything ground breaking discoveries etc.. but I thought it would be fun to share them here. Sooo, I shall quote myself:

In my opinion Uematsu perfectly trough his music was able to manifest the feeling and atmosphere that is Final Fantasy VII. When you listen to songs such as Battle In The Forgotten City, you can notice something interesting. The song has basic instruments like violin and etc.. but in the core of the song, there are some electronic instruments(which`s names I sadly don`t know). These generate an electric and mysterious vibe inside the violin and the piano. That for me represents FFVII world very well. The electric mysterious vibe represents the mysteries inside that world like the Ancients/Cetra, and Jenova. The electric vibe also could represent the technological advancement of FFVII`s world, with Mako reactors and Midgar with it`s cars and trains. But even with this, there is one thing still missing. Uematsu did not forget this however. It is the creepy piano/violin! That, with everything else I mentioned before represents FFVII so perfectly. The electric vibe and the creepy piano/violin manifest VII world`s creepy and scary parts. Jenova is absolutely terrifying when you stop to think about it, and Sephiroth also. What did you felt when the first time you heard Who Are You in FFVII and those creepy voice`s whispered to Clouds ear? I felt terror, and I was witnessing something I could not explain. The song Greath Northen Cave also gives a really good sense of terror and mystery, just like in the original. So Advent Children`s music represent a world, which has deep roots to it`s ancient past Ancients/Cetra. This world is also relatively advancet with techonology. Also aliens and other creepy stuff going on(FFVII also took a lot from Kabbala.. so yay mythologies!). In my opinion, Uematsu managed to manifest all this in his music.

I also have watched a few bits about Crisis Core, and listened Ishimoto`s glorious soundtrack. I especially love the more darker piano songs he composed. I think the Melody of Agony song acts as a prologue to Sephiroth`s descent to madness. There is a melancholy vibe in that song, and also something is kinda.. off. An comment from YouTube perfectly captures the feeling that I think Ishimoto was trying to create: "You can hear how Sephiroths world is collapsing."
I also really like another piano piece, the Prelude of Ruin. I think this is the true breaking point, and the climax of Sephiroths spiral. The piano is even more creepier and off, perfectly mirroring Sephirtohs unstable mind. Also the fast parts of the song kinda reminds me of falling dominoes, uhh.. how shall I put it? Like everything is falling and crumbling down, likes Sephiroths previous life, and now he has found a new one. Hmm, something like that.
16if63b.jpg

Mana

Re: What do you think made Sephy the way he is?

lol What does Tifa's Last weapon have to do with a re-release?

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards

After watching a few more clips from Crisis Core(dam I need to play this game someday to see the whole picture) and reading a few essays about Sephiroth, I have to add a few more points. I think it is quite fascinating how he acts at CC. There is this a strange aura around him, like Sephiroth is so above others, that he cant really feel sympathy or to relate to them in anyway, all thou I think his fellow super soldiers he can relate to at least in some way. But that is taken away from him, and the only thing keeping his mind together is the belief, that at least he is still human. But even that is taken away at the end, and everything crumbles around him. Then he takes on a new identity as the son of Jenova and the chosen one, destined to rule the planet. I especially really like one scene from the Nibelheim incident. After Sephiroth cuts Jenovas head and starts to walk away from the reactor, he just looks at Cloud and says: How DARE you!" That line to me really well captures his current mind set. How dare you, a pathetic and weak human even touch me. How dare you to interrupt me and my Mothers reunion!

A member from KH13 wrote a really well thought essay on Sephiroth.

I also like how the creators wanted to portray him in Advent Children:

Sephiroth's dialogue was made to sound profound, as "he thinks on a level higher than humans", and his hair and eyes were difficult to animate. His hair was animated by hand to make sure it looked as real as possible, and his eyes were almond shaped and slanted upwards, designed to strike a balance between realistic and otherworldly. Various other minor details were made to emphasize Sephiroth's character as a sort of ascended being - he was never made to blink, almost never grunted or breathed, and even in the heat of battle kept his voice calm and controlled.

When I was watching the movie, it was rather scary how the battle kept going and Cloud got tired, but Sephiroth kept going like the fight was his little morning exercise.

dlppictures

Awards
Website
dlppictures.blogspot.dk

So I felt like picking up this game again after who knows how long, and all remember about my plan for this playthrough from back when, is that I wanted to get as many things done that I have never fulfilled before.
Examples being:
* Get a date that is not Aerith
* Gain lvl 4 limit for all characters (except off course Cait Sith)
* Initial weapons only
* Get all summons without resorting to Master Summon materia.

So I know to get Aeriths Great Gospel limit break, I need to get some Mythril to the weapon seller stationed between Gold Saucer and Gongaga. To get the Mythril I need to talk to the sleeping man in a Cave in the Junnon Area.
I backtracked all the way back to the cave, made sure I had fought a certain number of battles so my last two digits are the same, which every walkthrough of this game makes a clear point of doing, and then I talk to the man, and he just replies
Sleeping man said:
Zzzz...Zzzz... You've already fought 477 times.... Zzz...
But he does not wake up and give me anything, he just keeps sleeping.
Is there a certain threshold of battles where he stops giving you items? Or am I just missing something obvious?

Plotwise I have just got my hands on the Tiny Bronco, and done the first half of the Wutai sidequests.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards

Crisis Core(dam I need to play this game someday to see the whole picture)

Honestly, as a big fan of VII I would recommend Last Order over Crisis Core as far as the best re-telling of the backstory goes (even if it has a few mistakes, it's nothing compared to all the stupid retcon in Crisis Core).

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

Honestly, as a big fan of VII I would recommend Last Order over Crisis Core as far as the best re-telling of the backstory goes (even if it has a few mistakes, it's nothing compared to all the stupid retcon in Crisis Core).

Crisis Core does however show off pre-madness Sephiroth the best, as while he was a little aloof and detached, he was capable of positive emotions and empathy. Especially his interactions with Zack before Nibelheim are some gems.
Last Order only shows the Xth variant of the Nibelheim incident itself without anything of the character dynamics before it.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards

Crisis Core does however show off pre-madness Sephiroth the best, as while he was a little aloof and detached, he was capable of positive emotions and empathy. Especially his interactions with Zack before Nibelheim are some gems.
Last Order only shows the Xth variant of the Nibelheim incident itself without anything of the character dynamics before it.

These are few of the things why I wanna play Crisis Core. I want to see Sephiroth before he went mad, I want to see Cloud before his identity crisis. Oh, and of course I am really looking forward to see more Zack. Based on some of the clips I have seen, he seems like a really likable character.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards

Sephiroth is just a badly written character. His transformation from hero to villain is completely unbelievable. Crisis Core only highlights this and introduces stupid retcon like Genesis. That being said, Zack is a great character (and much more likeable than Cloud) and they even managed to make his relationship with Aerith worth caring about. Speaking of which, Aerith is actually pretty good in this game, not as bland and Mary Sue-ish as in the main game. This is something I hope will carry over to the remake. Cloud is okay. He only has a couple of lines though. The only two good new characters imo are Angeal (basically a kinder version of Auron) and Cissnei.

Last Order is very faithful to how the story is being told within the game. While it's true it doesn't explain everything, I think some things are just better left to the imagination.

dlppictures

Awards
Website
dlppictures.blogspot.dk

I'll try again
So I know to get Aeriths Great Gospel limit break, I need to get some Mythril to the weapon seller stationed between Gold Saucer and Gongaga. To get the Mythril I need to talk to the sleeping man in a Cave in the Junnon Area.
I backtracked all the way back to the cave, made sure I had fought a certain number of battles so my last two digits are the same, which every walkthrough of this game makes a clear point of doing, and then I talk to the man, and he just replies
"Zzzz...Zzzz... You've already fought 477 times.... Zzz..."

But he does not wake up and give me anything, he just keeps sleeping.
Is there a certain threshold of battles where he stops giving you items? Or am I just missing something obvious?

Plotwise I have just got my hands on the Tiny Bronco, and done the first half of the Wutai sidequests.

Does anyone know what I need to do, or am I just going to have to give up on getting Great Gospel once again?

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards

Not really...news per say but we are giving away 5 of the design by Coinbox Tees so drop a post here and you may be a lucky winner~
I have too many favorites from VII. I'll go with during the flashback or Cloud's subconscious when he, an ordinary grunt, who was impaled by the Masamune, holds on to the sword and LIFTS Sephiroth up and throws him into the Mako down below. It looked ridiculous as it was awesome.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards

Not really...news per say but we are giving away 5 of the design by Coinbox Tees so drop a post here and you may be a lucky winner~

Hmm. Favorite scenes from FFVII. Oh man, there is a bunch.

The first that pops into my head is the one where Cloud and Tifa are on the Life Stream, and you basically re-build Clouds personality and mind from the little pieces he still had left. In in that whole sequence my favorite is the one where you learn about Tifa`s mother and how Cloud felt really lonely. That scene just broke me in my second play trough. It feels real and really personal. IX has a similar scene with Zidane where he is doubting himself and his existence, and then his friends are there to support him. I really like this as well, but the scene in FFVII made a bigger impact on me. Maybe because is just Cloud and Tifa there, remembering how much full of sorrow their childhood was. Also maybe because VII feels like that it`s more grounded in reality, it makes the scene feel more real and humane. Sooo, something like that. Oh, and Uematsu made the perfect song for that. It is sad and feels like you would hear something like this played in a scene, where you see a young girl who has lost her mother, and a young boy who tries to fill the holes in his heart which the loneliness has drilled there.

I am not sure if this qualifies as a scene, but I like the whole creepy atmosphere of VII. I felt genuine fear when I saw Jenova`s body part in the tanker, and when the Shinra tower was full of blood and claw marks. Then Cloud start to hear voices in his head as Jenova is whispering into his ear, and the creepy song Who Are You starts to play.

Other scene that pops into my head is the Nibelheim incident. Sephiroth´s spiral to madness and him starting to hate the whole world was fascinating. Also seeing all the secrets that place was hiding really hooked me into VII´s story.

Hmm, I guess those are the scenes that pop immediately into my head. I am sure I am forgetting some, but I guess I`ll add stuff I something important comes into my head. :)

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards

Best Bromance <3

Looks like an easy but time consuming platinum trophy.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards

I wonder if they're gonna use these same achievements on Re: FF7

edit:

lol at "Bahamutype-0" *snort* xD

Back