• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

CeCe McDonald Sentenced Today (June 4, 2012)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverslide

need some more candy cane
Suuure. Take a bad bit of injustice and apply it to my entire country. I don't feel bloody offended at all.

I agree.

I swear with ANY troubling American news story , Americans somehow arrive at this 'America sucks' thing. AMERICANS. Not even foreigners usually. That's kupoing sad. It's like this pompous self loathing thing.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
What I'm saying is they very well could, it shouldn't be black-and-white (pun unintended), it should be all races being treated as one group, and them not making it worse by wanting to be treated differently.
Wanting to have a non-inclusive space doesn't equate to wanting to be treated differently. That's a false premise; what having a non-inclusive space is about for minority groups is to create a place where they are not being affected, in any way, by the opinions or behaviors of privileged peoples-- as we are in essentially every other moment of our public and, often enough, even personal lives. Basically, it's about resisting the notion that privileged peoples have a fundamental right to treat us in any way at all, or to have an opinion on how we treat ourselves and each other.

What's to be forced? I'm saying all groups should be treated as equals, treat each other as equals, and believe themselves to be of equal caliber.
Agreed on the basis, but I would ask you to review your methodology for conveying that. Ignoring the discrepancies between privileged and disadvantaged groups of people does nothing to further equality; it only creates an opportunity for the dominant class to further exploit minority groups while you aren't looking.

Ew, no. That sounds nasty. You greatly misunderstood. I mean Americans, as in people born in America. Race shouldn't matter, I think anyone who was born in this country deserves the same given rights as any other American.
Yeah, I was born in America and I really don't want to be treated like an American. I've seen how Americans treat each other. No thanks.

Also, I don't choose to use races like that, if you're born in America, you're American. Race doesn't matter, it's just another skin color. Nothing more.
Well, again, this presumes American dominance and is really problematic for people such as myself who are Indigenous and born on occupied land. I'm not American. America is an invader. Moreover, a lot of African and other migrant peoples don't consider themselves American because they were not brought here by choice, but by force-- even if it wasn't them personally, they're the children of slaves. "American" is a really unsuitable moniker, on the whole. I do get your point, but again, just consider what you're saying and to whom. I'll say it again: disregarding racial, cultural and sexual circumstances doesn't further equality. If you really want basic human freedoms for all people, you have to address the power structure that enacts oppressive means in order to achieve its ends. Insisting that all people should be equal is fine, but it doesn't actually attain that equality in its own right.

As an aside, I do appreciate your willingness to have this discussion. I think your heart is very much in the right place. Although it might sound like I'm correcting you, I'm really just trying to offer you a different perspective.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Well, again, this presumes American dominance and is really problematic for people such as myself who are Indigenous and born on occupied land. I'm not American. America is an invader. Moreover, a lot of African and other migrant peoples don't consider themselves American because they were not brought here by choice, but by force-- even if it wasn't them personally, they're the children of slaves. "American" is a really unsuitable moniker, on the whole.

I understand the deeper issue of cultural identity that you're trying to highlight here but that's just the way nationality works in this day and age. If a person is a descendant of african slaves that's a part of them, but they are still legally an american citizen anyway, and by extension, an american. It's not just a cultural term.

Muse

you look atrocious
Um, actually, yeah. That's exactly what I'm saying. And I stand by it. Prove me wrong?

By the fact that there are plenty of people who are able to live comfortable lives regardless of backgrounds?

It's OK, I get it now. You're basically just here to complain about the fact that people are complaining about the fact that America sucks. The funny thing is, you're contributing even less to the discussion than you're demanding. Funny how that works.

The original topic being CeCe McDonald's unjust court trial, okay.

It's a shame the way the judicial system functions, and frankly, none of the three powers of government make any goddamn sense. America has one of the most confusing and completely stupid government systems, and it should really be reformed one day.

McDonald was the only person arrested in connection with the incident until May 11, 2012, when the Washington County prosecutor charged Molly Shannon Flaherty with second-degree assault with a deadly weapon and third-degree assault causing substantial bodily harm for allegedly smashing a glass in McDonald’s face during the melee.

At the very least, this did happen. And it says that she can get up to seven and five years, respectively, for both charges.

And as a very small silver lining, McDonald did say that the prison staff have both changed their attitudes towards her and others like her and they use the correct pronoun. So, there is that. It's very small, and in the grand scheme of things, it probably doesn't make a difference, but at the very least it's nice to know that people can change.

Forcing people to change, however, is going to have the opposite reaction. Ex. Desegregation of buses, and the violence that came to the Freedom Riders. They didn't do anything wrong, and yet they were brutally assaulted and wrongfully incarcerated. In the end they got what they were fighting for, but it's hardly something we should relive again.

Yeah, I am Indigenous, I have to live with this stuff every day of my life, so why not quit being so pretentious and understand that I'm not here to detail every aspect of what was wrong about, um, a fracking genocide. Millions of people dying so that one class of people could exploit the resources of the land their victims inhabited. I don't think I need to justify what's wrong with that.

Correction: I'm not using it in the way you, as a non-Native person, can most easily comprehend as being relative to this discussion. Sucks for you.

I'm not dancing for the white man. Ohhh nooo.

i know it might not mean, like, anything

but i am part cherokee

and i have family whose cherokee blood is really thick that there's no mistaking them for anything but

so yeah

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
I understand the deeper issue of cultural identity that you're trying to highlight here but that's just the way nationality works in this day and age. If a person is a descendant of african slaves that's a part of them, but they are still legally an american citizen anyway, and by extension, an american. It's not just a cultural term.
Nice edit. ;]
To be perfectly honest, I don't feel that strongly about this one way or the other. I know I'm not American by any real standard; if someone else considers me American for whatever stupid reason, it's not going to ruin my life. You've said you understand the issue I'm highlighting so that's what's important. I do reserve the right to call you a douche bag for undermining my actual cultural identity in favor of your more homogenous national affiliation, though, even though you probably won't like it and fight it at least slightly offensive. Tit for tat and whatnot.

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
Nice edit. ;]
To be perfectly honest, I don't feel that strongly about this one way or the other. I know I'm not American by any real standard; if someone else considers me American for whatever stupid reason, it's not going to ruin my life. You've said you understand the issue I'm highlighting so that's what's important. I do reserve the right to call you a douche bag for undermining my actual cultural identity in favor of your more homogenous national affiliation, though, even though you probably won't like it and fight it at least slightly offensive. Tit for tat and whatnot.

Well you've got the "rude-American" part down haha

But seriously, let's go back to the trial.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
btw i'm not american i just thought i'd get that out of the way

Nice edit. ;]

Well it seems to me that what you are associating "america" with is the cultural and legal construct surrounding the place, rather than just a term assigned to name the land itself. Because with the latter definition, the tribes that lived there before europeans came along are the "real" americans (hence the term "native american", which I can imagine you don't like either but whatever). It's understandable though that you would feel this way considering the fact that "america" is not the name the tribes gave to the land.

I know I'm basically just dancing around definitions but I think they are important to talk about since labeling (by the people themselves) is such an important part of this conversation to begin with.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
By the fact that there are plenty of people who are able to live comfortable lives regardless of backgrounds?
And Nazi Germany was OK because there were some high ranking Jews who were able to live in relative peace.

It's a shame the way the judicial system functions, and frankly, none of the three powers of government make any goddamn sense. America has one of the most confusing and completely stupid government systems, and it should really be reformed one day.
Agreed.

At the very least, this did happen. And it says that she can get up to seven and five years, respectively, for both charges.
Yeah, I was happy to hear that the original assaulter actually has been brought to court-- although it's a small compensation given how little faith I have in American capital punishment, and it does little to help CeCe's cause, unfortunately.

And as a very small silver lining, McDonald did say that the prison staff have both changed their attitudes towards her and others like her and they use the correct pronoun. So, there is that. It's very small, and in the grand scheme of things, it probably doesn't make a difference, but at the very least it's nice to know that people can change.
This was actually a pleasant surprise for me. It's not often you hear about this kind of progress being made, so while, like you said, it's a small victory, it is something. Still-- it's far from justice.

Forcing people to change, however, is going to have the opposite reaction. Ex. Desegregation of buses, and the violence that came to the Freedom Riders. They didn't do anything wrong, and yet they were brutally assaulted and wrongfully incarcerated. In the end they got what they were fighting for, but it's hardly something we should relive again.
Problem is, there is often no other choice, and the alternative is generally even more unnecessary suffering on the part of the victims of oppression. If you think about it, CeCe was only able to help the prison guards change their treatment of her because she was forced to be in prison; similarly, many of the avenues for persuading people to change (in a pacifistic, "accepted" manner that is) come at the cost of our own peoples' well-being and security, be it directly (for instance, by way of "compromising" with hostile and powerful people) or indirectly (like taking too long to reach that compromise and finding another dead sister in the streets). The reason I think there's such a vital push for forceful and even violent revolution among many people is because that is not an easy sacrifice to make, or to even consider making-- better (and, history has shown, often enough more effective) to fight to the death. For so many people, this really is all-out warfare, but the enemy isn't an organized army and that's what makes it hard, because they can't simply be identified by a uniform. Every cis person I see could be someone that's willing to hurt me or kill me for dressing and behaving and presenting the way I do-- or they might be an ally that's going to lend their support to me; that's not an easy dichotomy of relations to live with, on any level.

i know it might not mean, like, anything

but i am part cherokee

and i have family whose cherokee blood is really thick that there's no mistaking them for anything but

so yeah
What that means is that you have Cherokee blood. That doesn't make you Cherokee as far as I'm concerned. Don't claim blood if you don't practice the heritage.

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
Which community are you referring to? "The law" conforms to the social consciousness of any given collective; there don't even have to be genders in order for "the law" to be in place. If "the law" isn't working for the people it's intended to serve, it's "the law" that needs to change, not the people. (And if "the law" isn't intended to serve the people it's affecting most, then it needs to be abolished.)
The LGBT community.

The law requires gender to exist because there are very clear differences between men and women and they need to be accounted for. And in the case of criminal law, in this specific instance, gender needs to exist so they may be incarcerated separately. You said it yourself earlier, this woman shouldn't have to serve her time in a men's prison because she faces the very real threat of sexual harassment and assault. So she should be sent to a women's prison.

The law takes time to evolve, yes. Maybe a little too long. But it does work. Unfortunately, any new circumstance introduced in the courts is going to come up against a few brick walls. That's the nature of its evolution. I can't see anyone coming up with a better framework.

The problem with that is, it's not about "the majority's" feelings. The whole point of forming non-inclusive spaces for minority communities is for oppressed and socially traumatized people to build solidarity amongst themselves in order to not feel excluded and powerless, to have a safe space where people of a similar life experience can communicate their conflicts and needs to each other without feeling threatened by oppressive facilities. If privileged people really feel resentful that oppressed groups need their own space, it's up to them to get over their (frankly hypocritical) entitlement complex. A womyn who has been sexually assaulted by a man is not necessarily going to want to surround herself with men; and in moving forward she may need support that is not going to come from any man, in which case she's going to need a space where she can be with just womyn. It's not theoretical, unlike a white person's unfounded fears that Asian people building self-contained communities is somehow a threat to them.
This isn't about privilege or entitlement. It's about being inclusive. You can have your own community groups. You can have clubs and the like. But when you actively segregate yourself from mainstream society you don't do anyone any favours. You're contributing to and breeding the intolerance you purport to fight against. That's simply how it works, whether you think it's right or wrong. Assimilation works.

you are kidding me, right?

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
btw i'm not american i just thought i'd get that out of the way
Lucky you.

Well it seems to me that what you are associating "america" with is the cultural and legal construct surrounding the place, rather than just a term assigned to name the land itself.
Yes. This is what most Americans associate the term with, too, in my experience.

Because with the latter definition, the tribes that lived there before europeans came along are the "real" americans (hence the term "native american", which I can imagine you don't like either but whatever). It's understandable though that you would feel this way considering the fact that "america" is not the name the tribes gave to the land.
Well, sure, it's all a bit contextual. But the land known as "America" is actually a number of different continents and by that standard Canadians and Mexicans and Brazilians are all "American" as well-- which is a lot more confusing and inefficient, as things stand, than connoting the term "American" with the specific culture and nation of peoples which have essentially appropriated it to fit their identity, as it were. Because you don't see Obama trying to garner the appreciation of Argentinians when he struggles to capture the "American" vote, and you don't see nearly anyone refer to themselves as "United States of American."

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
The law requires gender to exist because there are very clear differences between men and women and they need to be accounted for.
These differences being? /awaiting inevitable biological determinism politics

And in the case of criminal law, in this specific instance, gender needs to exist so they may be incarcerated separately. You said it yourself earlier, this woman shouldn't have to serve her time in a men's prison because she faces the very real threat of sexual harassment and assault. So she should be sent to a women's prison.
I don't disagree with gender existing. I also don't agree with prisons existing. I also never said she should be incarcerated in a women's prison; I only pointed out that putting her in a men's prison exposes her to a heightened risk factor. Which is to say, yes, there should be gender-placed protections in place to ensure people are as safe as possible, but in order for that to actually be comprehensive, those protections would have to be malleable to each individual's needs to an extent that basing them on any rigid notion of gender would render them ineffective at best. In this case, as a trans woman, CeCe is endangered in men's prison and women's prison-- because she is trans, she is likely to be abused in either scenario and what she really needs is, firstly, not to be incarcerated at all, and barring that, to be permitted house arrest so she can serve her time in a place where she is not in immediate danger. I would face a similar situation as a gender neutral person-- I'm neither man nor woman, so where would I be placed?

This isn't about privilege or entitlement. It's about being inclusive. You can have your own community groups. You can have clubs and the like. But when you actively segregate yourself from mainstream society you don't do anyone any favours. You're contributing to and breeding the intolerance you purport to fight against. That's simply how it works, whether you think it's right or wrong. Assimilation works.
Oh, look, a privileged cis person claiming that it's not about privilege and they totally knows what's best for us. I've never seen that before and it definitely isn't an extremely entitled perspective.
The problem with assimilation is it doesn't work for me (or for just about anyone I know). We don't want to be a part of your society. And there's probably no way I can convey to you why that is without contradicting your privilege in such a way that you'll claim "intolerance" on my part and then fantasize that I'm practicing some kind of "reverse discrimination" against cis people and I'm not really down for engaging that argument right now.

(Suddenly a double post because I go too tired. Apologies. Please merge or whatever you magical mods do~.)

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
These differences being? /awaiting inevitable biological determinism politics
Men can't pregnant, for one.

I don't disagree with gender existing. I also don't agree with prisons existing. I also never said she should be incarcerated in a women's prison; I only pointed out that putting her in a men's prison exposes her to a heightened risk factor. Which is to say, yes, there should be gender-placed protections in place to ensure people are as safe as possible, but in order for that to actually be comprehensive, those protections would have to be malleable to each individual's needs to an extent that basing them on any rigid notion of gender would render them ineffective at best. In this case, as a trans woman, CeCe is endangered in men's prison and women's prison-- because she is trans, she is likely to be abused in either scenario and what she really needs is, firstly, not to be incarcerated at all, and barring that, to be permitted house arrest so she can serve her time in a place where she is not in immediate danger. I would face a similar situation as a gender neutral person-- I'm neither man nor woman, so where would I be placed?
I didn't put words in your mouth. That was a separate sentence.

Why shouldn't she be incarcerated? Because she's innocent or because she's transgendered? Why house arrest? That's in no way comparable to actual incarceration. Why not under guard or solitary?

You've got bits between your legs, right? There's a starting point. Perhaps you can elect which prison to go to. What safety provisions you might think are necessary, etc. Until such point where transgendered persons make up a noticeable third of the population, they'll have to make do under conditions. Or better yet, not commit crimes.

Oh, look, a privileged cis person claiming that it's not about privilege and they totally knows what's best for us. I've never seen that before and it definitely isn't an extremely entitled perspective.
The problem with assimilation is it doesn't work for me (or for just about anyone I know). We don't want to be a part of your society. And there's probably no way I can convey to you why that is without contradicting your privilege in such a way that you'll claim "intolerance" on my part and then fantasize that I'm practicing some kind of "reverse discrimination" against cis people and I'm not really down for engaging that argument right now.
Oh look, a minority shutting down civil discourse because I'm a straight white male. I never seen that before and it certainly doesn't make you look like a shut off asshole.
Jesus Christ. I'm an egalitarian, man. I'm not your enemy. I'm trying to have a conversation here and I'm more than happy to go back and forth until we reach some sort of compromise. But whenever someone brings up the "privilege" smackdown, it becomes evident to me you're not looking for compromise or conversation.

You don't want to be part of society? And yet you want dictate how it should behave? I'm sorry, but you don't get to have your cake and eat it too.

Mastermind

Remember Me
Awards
Well, I don't think that CeCe should be going to prison for this. If this were actual murder, then I'd put CeCe in with the other males. you're definitely not going in with the women. That would create all kinds of problems for the system.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Men can't pregnant, for one.

I didn't put words in your mouth. That was a separate sentence.

Why shouldn't she be incarcerated? Because she's innocent or because she's transgendered? Why house arrest? That's in no way comparable to actual incarceration. Why not under guard or solitary?

You've got bits between your legs, right? There's a starting point. Perhaps you can elect which prison to go to. What safety provisions you might think are necessary, etc. Until such point where transgendered persons make up a noticeable third of the population, they'll have to make do under conditions. Or better yet, not commit crimes.

Oh look, a minority shutting down civil discourse because I'm a straight white male. I never seen that before and it certainly doesn't make you look like a shut off asshole.
Jesus Christ. I'm an egalitarian, man. I'm not your enemy. I'm trying to have a conversation here and I'm more than happy to go back and forth until we reach some sort of compromise. But whenever someone brings up the "privilege" smackdown, it becomes evident to me you're not looking for compromise or conversation.

You don't want to be part of society? And yet you want dictate how it should behave? I'm sorry, but you don't get to have your cake and eat it too.
Well I typed up a proper response to this detailing all of its bullshit and the way you've basically justified all kinds of transphobic policies and social behaviors without even trying because you're JUST THAT MUCH of a giant cissexist asshole, but I lost it due to site malfunctions, so I went and found a picture that sums up this whole post rather well instead:
11530146.jpg

(I will say I got a good laugh when you called yourself "egalitarian" after defending hatreds against trans folk because we don't make up enough of the population to matter. "You can't have your cake and eat it too." Loser.)

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
I'll be frank, Alexis:

You've done nothing but wave the bloody shirt throughout this entire discussion, and have combated every response with a cry of "hate". If you can't discuss your own demographic with a calm, objective attitude, I suggest you not post any similar topics in the future. Ad hominem attacks are never the way to approach things...

Now, onto the topic at hand...

CeCe McDonald's safety is obviously compromised in a male prison, and some arrangement may need to be made for her. However, until transgendered folk become a large enough minority, this sort of case should be dealt with on an individual basis—concerned primarily with the prisoner's safety. If McDonald is safest in a female prison, transfer there; if she can (hypothetically) operate safely inside a male prison, keep her there. Safety should be the issue, not gender identity.

I'm not part of some evil regime of straight, white males, trying to impose an unjust policy; this is simply the most realistic approach, as of 2012.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
You've done nothing but wave the bloody shirt throughout this entire discussion, and have combated every response with a cry of "hate".
That's not true. I've been exceedingly patient with most of the cissexist (and otherwise privileged) nonsense that has been tossed around here. If you want me to slog through and post examples of every purposefully objective, calm post I've made throughout this thread, I'll do that. I do have a limit, though, and I'm not going to claim I've been entirely calm and objective because I haven't-- and neither has anyone else. Nor would I expect that from anyone.

]If you can't discuss your own demographic with a calm, objective attitude, I suggest you not post any similar topics in the future. Ad hominem attacks are never the way to approach things...
I may engage in ad hominem for the fun of it, but I don't rely on it. When I call people out for being white and privileged that's entirely relevant to the perspective their post (often, argument) is conforming to; it's not a personal insult, it's a social fact. Furthermore, I would counter that objectivity isn't the only, or often most appropriate, way to address every issue. I've shared subjective opinions in this thread that are tailored my own personal experiences and feelings because, frankly, they carry a lot more weight with regards to trans needs and minority rights than some cisgender white person's "objective" speculations as to how we should engage change. Presumption is just as bad a way to approach the challenges of social disorder as ad hominem.

]CeCe McDonald's safety is obviously compromised in a male prison, and some arrangement may need to be made for her. However, until transgendered folk become a large enough minority, this sort of case should be dealt with on an individual basis—concerned primarily with the prisoner's safety. If McDonald is safest in a female prison, transfer there; if she can (hypothetically) operate safely inside a male prison, keep her there. Safety should be the issue, not gender identity.
I agree, except where gender identity comprises the main security fault, but that's mostly semantic. With regards to CeCe in particular, I maintain that she should be placed under house arrest as that is the safest option for her, she does not pose a threat to anyone else and, in the first place, she's being wrongfully incarcerated to begin with. There's no reason for her to go to prison at all.

]I'm not part of some evil regime of straight, white males, trying to impose an unjust policy; this is simply the most realistic approach, as of 2012.
This is where objectivity becomes a hindrance rather than a benefit. You have the advantageous position of being able to state that without making the connection as to how utterly that "realistic approach" fails so many people because it doesn't affect you. I don't have that benefit and neither do most trans people-- we can't stand for the status quo and just accept that's the reality of the situation. When it comes to public policies that are damaging our communities, we have to struggle against them-- and guess what. That struggle is always going to come from the subjective space of having experienced that damage firsthand. So before you lecture a trans person on how they go about presenting their discourse, really consider that. You're coming from the subjective place of being privileged enough to maintain an objective distance from the issues at hand.

In summary, I would counter that if you can't handle being called out when you're saying problematic things, don't post in threads about rights that have been denied to minority persons. :/

Mastermind

Remember Me
Awards
I don't agree with CeCe going to a female prison. If CeCe gets to go, then all men can plead to identify as women and go to female prisons. CeCe should be kept in solitary or deal with the general male population of the prison.

D.D.D

Stuffed in a sack and being thrown through a magic
Well, I'm glad this thread has calmed down a bit. I was going to jump in and add to the discussion earlier and after my first post, but I waited for everything to cool off.
Anyways, on the topic of slavery: I know that what the African Americans went through was and probably still is horrible (discrimination-wise). And I hope I don't offend any of them by saying this, but black people aren't the only race who has been stuck in slavery. I looked it up online and, if my sources are correct, then the truth is that many other people have been enslaved in ancient history(as most of you already know). Ukrainians, Circassians, Russians, Belarusians, Poles, and Jews were enslaved by the Crimean Khanate. During the Tang Dynasty, Chinese people captured Koreans to sell them. People in Thailand and Burma owned slaves. There were slaves in Greece, too, as well as Rome; they enslaved Greeks, Berbers, Germans, Britons, Slavs, Thracians, Gauls (or Celts), and Arabs. Celtic tribes in Europe owned slaves. The vikings enslaved Franks, Anglo-Saxons, and Celts, as well as some evidence of German slaves, and Latin slaves. The Ancient Egyptians practiced slavery, too.
Basically, every single race has been enslaved by another. I know that slavery in America was absolutely horrible and the way a lot of slaves were treated was horrible, too, but the way the topic of slavery is handled/talked about in this country makes it seem as if Americans were the only people to ever enslave others and thus makes them worse than every other country in the world, when most other countries have done it themselves.
What I don't understand is why we need Black History Month or LGTB Pride Month when we should, as someone else in the thread mentioned, forget our differences and come to accept that, despite our different ways of thinking and feeling and living and the way we look, we belong in only one category: Human. Forget white, black, red, yellow, gay, or straight. Human. That's the idea we need to focus on.
Besides, most people in the world have mixed blood. Take me for example; I'm a huge mix of European (including German, Swedish, Scottish, Spanish, Russian, English, Manx, etc.... I also have Ojibwe, Blackfoot, Mi'kmaq, Sioux, and Algonquin (Native American and Canadian tribes) blood. I also found out recently that I have a little bit of Middle Eastern blood in me, too (but it's so little that I don't even really consider myself Middle Eastern).
Another point I want to make is that we really shouldn't be so hateful to our own country (or to America, if you don't live here). I know that American people in the past have done horrible things, but we should learn what we did wrong, fix it, and then move on. We've fixed the African American slavery problem. We've fixed the legal segregation (stuff such as blacks having to sit in the back of a bus or stay in a black-only hotel, etc...) problem.
What I wish is for us to forget the past and start trying to build a better future where everyone can be who they are without discrimination. Separating us into different months or different contests or different whatevers isn't going to help, and neither is focusing on beating ourselves up while we should be respectfully laying those matters to rest and making America a better place.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
Well, I'm glad this thread has calmed down a bit. I was going to jump in and add to the discussion earlier and after my first post, but I waited for everything to cool off.
Anyways, on the topic of slavery: I know that what the African Americans went through was and probably still is horrible (discrimination-wise). And I hope I don't offend any of them by saying this, but black people aren't the only race who has been stuck in slavery. I looked it up online and, if my sources are correct, then the truth is that many other people have been enslaved in ancient history(as most of you already know). Ukrainians, Circassians, Russians, Belarusians, Poles, and Jews were enslaved by the Crimean Khanate. During the Tang Dynasty, Chinese people captured Koreans to sell them. People in Thailand and Burma owned slaves. There were slaves in Greece, too, as well as Rome; they enslaved Greeks, Berbers, Germans, Britons, Slavs, Thracians, Gauls (or Celts), and Arabs. Celtic tribes in Europe owned slaves. The vikings enslaved Franks, Anglo-Saxons, and Celts, as well as some evidence of German slaves, and Latin slaves. The Ancient Egyptians practiced slavery, too.
Basically, every single race has been enslaved by another. I know that slavery in America was absolutely horrible and the way a lot of slaves were treated was horrible, too, but the way the topic of slavery is handled/talked about in this country makes it seem as if Americans were the only people to ever enslave others and thus makes them worse than every other country in the world, when most other countries have done it themselves.
What I don't understand is why we need Black History Month or LGTB Pride Month when we should, as someone else in the thread mentioned, forget our differences and come to accept that, despite our different ways of thinking and feeling and living and the way we look, we belong in only one category: Human. Forget white, black, red, yellow, gay, or straight. Human. That's the idea we need to focus on.
Besides, most people in the world have mixed blood. Take me for example; I'm a huge mix of European (including German, Swedish, Scottish, Spanish, Russian, English, Manx, etc.... I also have Ojibwe, Blackfoot, Mi'kmaq, Sioux, and Algonquin (Native American and Canadian tribes) blood. I also found out recently that I have a little bit of Middle Eastern blood in me, too (but it's so little that I don't even really consider myself Middle Eastern).
Another point I want to make is that we really shouldn't be so hateful to our own country (or to America, if you don't live here). I know that American people in the past have done horrible things, but we should learn what we did wrong, fix it, and then move on. We've fixed the African American slavery problem. We've fixed the legal segregation (stuff such as blacks having to sit in the back of a bus or stay in a black-only hotel, etc...) problem.
What I wish is for us to forget the past and start trying to build a better future where everyone can be who they are without discrimination. Separating us into different months or different contests or different whatevers isn't going to help, and neither is focusing on beating ourselves up while we should be respectfully laying those matters to rest and making America a better place.

;~; You should be world president. For reals.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Well, I don't think that CeCe should be going to prison for this. If this were actual murder, then I'd put CeCe in with the other males. you're definitely not going in with the women. That would create all kinds of problems for the system.

I don't agree with CeCe going to a female prison. If CeCe gets to go, then all men can plead to identify as women and go to female prisons. CeCe should be kept in solitary or deal with the general male population of the prison.
Are you kidding me? She chose to be a woman, so she deserves to be treated as such. She's transgender, she changed her sex. It's a much better idea to put her in the women's prison (although I don't agree with the prison part at all) then in the men's prison, where she would undoubtedly get raped by some inmates, and assaulted by others for being a transgender individual.

At least in a women's prison, she's the only one with a penis and won't get raped.

tumblr_m3f646OnCh1rp3u4eo6_r1_500.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back