• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Bring Back Licks

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

strike chaos

Catchy name right.

I just found this and thought it was pretty interesting. In Dallas the issue of bringing back paddling on the table.

*Push under way to restore corporal punishment at Dallas ISD | wfaa.com | Dallas - Fort Worth Local News
*Home Page

And to tell you the truth, I support it. Students like to act the fool to stand out and be cool, and referrals, ISS, and OSS don't seem to do it. Referrals are a joke, ISS seems to big deal, and OSS is a day off. The only time they seem to work is if the parents will do anything about it. Heck, the video shows a teacher who got kicked and caused a tear to the cartilage in her knee by a 2nd grader. Temple brought it back and trouble seriously decreased and only paddled one kid and in Dallas, since they banned paddling, trouble shot up.

And they people say paddle/spanking is bad, but that reminds me of a quote by William Shakespeare and that's in the Final Fantasy Versus XIII trailer, "There is nothing either good or evil, but thinking makes it so."

And I just graduated from high school so I have nothing to fear.

tangerine

Awards
Hitting a child at a young age doesn't prevent trouble, it just teaches it that violence and hurting others is okay. At an older age, a child might learn that 1+1=pain and avoid it, but it will stay resentful and lose respect for the authority figure, which leads to more misbehaving. A democratic approach to child care is by far the most effective means to raising a good child. The only reason some people use an authoritarian style is because they're lazy, uncaring jackasses.

If you do anything to abuse a child as a parent, you're awful. If you do anything to abuse a child as a person of authority, you're awful. There's a reason why this was taken out of schools. Abusing children just makes things worse.

strike chaos

So what do you say about that teacher that got kicked by the second grader or the facts that show how it reduces trouble in school. Did you click on either of the two links.

State

Awards
discipline:

A controlled behaviour; self-control
An enforced compliance or control
A systematic method of obtaining obedience
A state of order based on submission to authority
A punishment to train or maintain control
A set of rules regulating behaviour
That's the absence of some schools, I dare say, the majority.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
I have no trouble with "spanking/paddling" as long as it's done in the right context and in the right way. However, part of that includes the action being performed by their parent, not their school. So no, I don't support this.

strike chaos

Fear is used every to keep people out of trouble, example, I won't rob a store so I don't got to jail and drop soap. And physical abuse is only when done wrong.

tangerine

Awards
So what do you say about that teacher that got kicked by the second grader or the facts that show how it reduces trouble in school. Did you click on either of the two links.

I did click on the link and the child misbehaves because of problems elsewhere or problems already in school.

People should stop trying to have different opinions of things that are already facts.

Tenyas

RE: +"T!red"+
I don't think discipline of this nature should be carried out by schools. D:

My mom believed in spanking when I was a wee-one and I learned really fast. And I still love her because she wasn't one of those people who would do it every time you stole a peice of candy, it'd be when I did something big. Like... smearing eggs all over the carpet in the living room cuz my dad wasn't watching me and I thought I could hatch a chicken... *COUGH* UM. ANYWAY, no, no paddles in school. owo

Z

Zulkir

Schools? No.

Parents? Maybe, they should exhaust all other alternatives first though.

strike chaos

I did click on the link and the child misbehaves because of problems elsewhere or problems already in school.

People should stop trying to have different opinions of things that are already facts.

Facts show that paddling reduces trouble in school, Temple brought it back and trouble greatly reduced and when Dallas got rid of it, trouble boomed. How do you explain that. And with proper discipline, that brat wouldn't have kicked that teacher.

Besides, nowadays, parents don't give two cents if their child misbehaves at school. I know my parents didn't, and neither did most of my friends parents.

tangerine

Awards
Google parenting styles, effects of spanking and abusing children and human development and I'm sure you'll find your answers. I'm pretty tired of explaining things to people who pretend to know something they don't. You'll take official sources to be more credible than my word of mouth, anyway.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Why do I get the feeling that these official sources are based on hitting being used on a regular basis?

E

Eyesore

haha...
If you're going to spank children for not desiring to take a School's brainwashing process as peacefully as you'd like, then child molesters should be tortured to Death...Tbh...

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
Hitting a child at a young age doesn't prevent trouble, it just teaches it that violence and hurting others is okay. At an older age, a child might learn that 1+1=pain and avoid it, but it will stay resentful and lose respect for the authority figure, which leads to more misbehaving.

You're wrong.
As a child, I was spanked when I misbehaved and it didn't turn me into a violent, authority-hating rebel.
It taught me to respect my authority figures and to do as I was told. It made me into a better person.

If you do anything to abuse a child as a parent, you're awful.

Child abuse and discipline are too different things.
If you're hitting the child across the face or kicking them, then yes, it's bad, but if you are only giving them a little pop on the butt to get them to straighten out and it is done at the appropriate place, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

tangerine said:

Except they are not facts. If they were, I would be some violent thug that would have had no respect for any type of authority figure, which I am most certainly not.

Google parenting styles, effects of spanking and abusing children and human development and I'm sure you'll find your answers.

I'll take my personal experiences over some statistics, thank you.

tangerine

Awards
You're wrong.
As a child, I was spanked when I misbehaved and it didn't turn me into a violent, authority-hating rebel.
It taught me to respect my authority figures and to do as I was told. It made me into a better person.

Child abuse and discipline are too different things.
If you're hitting the child across the face or kicking them, then yes, it's bad, but if you are only giving them a little pop on the butt to get them to straighten out and it is done at the appropriate place, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Except they are not facts. If they were, I would be some violent thug that would have had no respect for any type of authority figure, which I am most certainly not.

I'll take my personal experiences over some statistics, thank you.

Because I totally said it would turn people into rebels for life. We're talking about children, not what becomes of them into adulthood, because there's a multitude of variables added within a lifetime. I'm sure you weren't all happy and had a newfound respect for the person hitting you as soon as it was finished. Also, any sort of physical violence is abuse. Read more carefully, bright guy. If it was wrong then it wouldn't be taught in universities. This is getting old.

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
We're talking about children, not what becomes of them into adulthood, because there's a multitude of variables added within a lifetime.

As am I. I wasn't violent nor did I loose my respect for my authority figures when I was younger.
Oh, and if you would, please put on your reading glasses and take a gander at this:
Smacking study hits at claims of harm - National - NZ Herald News

I can use official studies to back up my point as well.

I'm sure you weren't all happy and had a newfound respect for the person hitting you as soon as it was finished.

Of course I wasn't happy with being spanked. Punishment isn't something that is to be enjoyed, it is something that is supposed to teach you a lesson, which it did for me.

Also, any sort of physical violence is abuse.

Well, the Journal of Child Abuse and Neglect defines child abuse as:

any recent act or failure to act on the part of a parent or caretaker which results in death, serious physical or emotional harm, sexual abuse or exploitation, an act or failure to act which presents an imminent risk of serious harm

This might be just me, but I see nothing in there about spanking a child as being child abuse.

If it was wrong then it wouldn't be taught in universities.

If I were wrong, then it would have been banned in the US and in the rest of the world, instead of just in Europe and a handful of other countries.

This is getting old.

I agree. Stop stating your opinions as indisputable facts, because they aren't.

Last edited:

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Indeed, I too was spanked as a child; and I doubt many here would label me deviant with no respect for authority. I also harbor absolutely no resentment for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back