• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

BBS vol.2 - PSP or NGP (PSP2)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

which system do you want BBS vol.2 on?

• PSP

Votes: 74 81.3%
  • NGP

Votes: 17 18.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards

darkheart709

Bronze Member
this article reminds me when nintendo said that gba and ds were going to coexist. they say thats what they want to happen, but that doesn't mean that it will. will third party developers continue to support the psp after the 3DS and NGP release

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
this article reminds me when nintendo said that gba and ds were going to coexist. they say thats what they want to happen, but that doesn't mean that it will. will third party developers continue to support the psp after the 3DS and NGP release
Except that the DS had a GBA slot and the NGP does not have a UMD compartment.

Ikkin

Bronze Member
You're blaming Nintendo for something they didn't do. The PSP2 has to cost more than 300$ for Sony to be able to break even. With all the power they're putting in that thing, it can't cost less than 300 or else Sony would be losing money. You think a powerful device like that could be priced under 300$? I don't think so. Nintendo and Sony aren't competing with prices. They can't. Their systems are just way too different in terms of hardware and software that their prices can't be comparable. Some cell phones that have less power than the NGP (ie. Iphone 4, EVO 4g, Droid 2) cost 200-400 dollars ( depending on if it's bought with a contract or not). I'd say the NGP will be priced anywhere between 300 and 400 dollars. Any more than that and they will be competing with their PS3, which they don't want to do.

I'm blaming Nintendo for one thing and one thing only: raising the "acceptable" price for a handheld gaming system by coming in at a high price themselves.

And I think any attempt to figure out how much the NGP costs to make is disingenuous. You can't compare it to 3DS pricewise, because Nintendo purposefully chooses to use four-year-old tech in order to make large profit margins. You can't compare it to cellphones, either, because they sell at even higher margins so the exorbitantly-priced contract phones seem more attractive. Sony's always sold consoles under the "razor and blades" model, either making a teeny profit on consoles or (more likely) subsidizing consoles at the beginning of a platform's lifespan to attract customers who buy their games and offset that subsidy by buying games.

The only thing we know for sure about its price is this -- Sony chose what they believed to be a reasonable price before designing the NGP, and have never strayed from it when choosing parts to put in the console. The design for NGP was finalized before Nintendo gave a price for 3DS, so that price must have been something Sony would have believed to be competitive with a $200 successor to the most popular gaming system ever created.

I strongly, strongly believe that Sony would not have chosen to risk a $300 handheld under those circumstances.

Speculating about the cost of the parts is useless, because we really can't know that. Sony's attitude, on the other hand, is knowable, and they've chosen to insist that their device's hardware is conservative, rather than act like their device is so awesome we'll gladly shell out whatever they want to charge us.

Considering how damaging that kind of claim could be if it turns out they are charging $400 for the thing, I think it's pretty safe to assume that the difference in price between NGP and 3DS is going to be much, much lower than the hardware would imply.

Dark Wing

Awards
i kinda see where your coming from. sure the NGP is apparently housing a quad-core and can render PS3 quality graphics, but the 3DS also has a glasses free 3D LCD screen and those things ain't cheap

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
If what Ikkin say is true the NGP could possibly cost 250 like the 3ds. I think we all know the second meaning behind the NGP by now lol (I'm buying a 3DS but it's fun to point out) (If you haven't heard "the second meaning" it's Nintendo Got Pewned)

Revolution

If what Ikkin say is true the NGP could possibly cost 250 like the 3ds. I think we all know the second meaning behind the NGP by now lol (I'm buying a 3DS but it's fun to point out) (If you haven't heard "the second meaning" it's Nintendo Got Pewned)

Never going to happen. It's going to be more.

Ronove

I agree with Revolution. The NGP is using some pretty advanced Tech. I think we'll be lucky if we can buy it for Three Hundred and Fifty Dollars.

Ikkin

Bronze Member
i kinda see where your coming from. sure the NGP is apparently housing a quad-core and can render PS3 quality graphics, but the 3DS also has a glasses free 3D LCD screen and those things ain't cheap

3D screens aren't that expensive. XD Nintendo said outright "we were going to sell the 3DS for a profit at $200, but the reaction at E3 suggested we could price higher, so we went with $250 instead."

It's probably a good idea on their part, if only because they're going to be supply-constrained for a while anyway. 3D screens might not be that expensive, but it's hard to get a hold of them in large quantities.

I agree with Revolution. The NGP is using some pretty advanced Tech. I think we'll be lucky if we can buy it for Three Hundred and Fifty Dollars.

As I said, speculation about how much the tech costs is pretty meaningless considering that there's nothing like it on the market. A $350 NGP couldn't compete with Sony's expectation of a $200 3DS, so they would have cut stuff out if it was going to be that expensive.

Though I'm sure Sony will be very happy to know people think the parts in the thing cost half again as much as they do. XD Nintendo and Apple really help their perceived value.

rawpower

King of the Wild Frontier
Awards
Oh lord. I have no idea. I can't really decide between a 3DS or an NGP and if I get an NGP I'd like for BBS2 to be for that but if I don't I'd like it to be for the PSP. This sucks. I need a job this summer. And there's so many games I want to get anyway!

Ronove

3D screens aren't that expensive. XD Nintendo said outright "we were going to sell the 3DS for a profit at $200, but the reaction at E3 suggested we could price higher, so we went with $250 instead."

It's probably a good idea on their part, if only because they're going to be supply-constrained for a while anyway. 3D screens might not be that expensive, but it's hard to get a hold of them in large quantities.

As I said, speculation about how much the tech costs is pretty meaningless considering that there's nothing like it on the market. A $350 NGP couldn't compete with Sony's expectation of a $200 3DS, so they would have cut stuff out if it was going to be that expensive.

Though I'm sure Sony will be very happy to know people think the parts in the thing cost half again as much as they do. XD Nintendo and Apple really help their perceived value.

Nevertheless, I'm almost positive that the NGP is going to be more expensive than the 3DS. Mind you, I really want the NGP.

Ikkin

Bronze Member
Nevertheless, I'm almost positive that the NGP is going to be more expensive than the 3DS. Mind you, I really want the NGP.

Sony's basically obligated to make it more expensive than the 3DS, because they want to be positioned as the premium alternative to Nintendo. Considering the mindshare advantage Nintendo has, Sony saying "hey, we're offering a generational leap in graphics and every control method in existence for the same price! =D" might be more inclined to make casual consumers wonder "what's the catch?" rather than thinking the 3DS is overpriced. And people, in general, tend not to value things that they get at no cost.

There's a lot of weird psychological things that go on with pricing, and I think Sony's probably going to want to take advantage of that because Nintendo gave them the luxury of choosing a price. If 3DS came in at $200 or less, they would have had to go with $250 no questions asked (even if they had to take a minor loss to do so) or risk not being competitive.

Ronove

Well, Nintendo is entitled to make a profit too. And ultimately, the decision to the price of the NGP lies exclusively within Sony's hands. Putting the blame on Nintendo isn't exactly fair. I would hope that Sony learned from the PS3 launch that going TOO above and beyond your competitors is detrimental to business, though. But the PSP itself has it's share of problems. Their best selling game in 2010(Some game called Birth By Sleep, it's about some blue haired chick who fights her friends with a key) sold less than 365/2 Days(It's about this dude named Sora who is best friends with Sora and then kills Sora to become Sora).

That's a goddamn shame, so for the love of frick Sony better start appealing to more of the portable market. One way to NOT do that is by making their price too high.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Psp for sure, don't want to buy a new system for only one game and I don't even know if the ngp will have umd drive. Since all the games I like are on the psp I currently have. And why buy a new system if the one you have works just fine? Sure the ngp sounds really nice and all, but I don't care much about the whole rival of being better then the ps3. But there's no telling which they will put it on.

lasersquash

Sitting on a comfy chair in front of a fireplace ,
Psp for sure, don't want to buy a new system for only one game and I don't even know if the ngp will have umd drive. Since all the games I like are on the psp I currently have. And why buy a new system if the one you have works just fine? Sure the ngp sounds really nice and all, but I don't care much about the whole rival of being better then the ps3. But there's no telling which they will put it on.

It got replaced by a cartirage, though now they have a touch screen on the back. :l

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back