• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anyone thinking of going into the gaming industry?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverslide

need some more candy cane
I've been thinking about it and I think I want to become a game designer, producer, director etc. Alot of people have been trying to discourage me, especially my parents, but I think that I love gaming alot and I want to make my own games. You should pursue a career that is your passion shouldn't you?Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else wants to, or currently is going to college for positions related to gaming?

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
I don't know how far or what avenue of the industry you want to get into, but overall, it's a high stress environment. Just so you know.

Hamster Lord

Atrocity Exhibition
Awards
I wouldn't mind being involved in vidya gams. i would love to draw the characters and levels and whatnot

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
Pretty much if you want to get into game design and development, you need to know how to do all the other stuff too :/

lasersquash

Sitting on a comfy chair in front of a fireplace ,
Firstly have you tried anything like programming a game? If not i recommend to find and use RPG Maker (2000 is the best i hear) and try to make you're own game and then find some free sprite makers. Though you can try looking for a program called Alice, i have heard only good things about this game in the way of making video games and making 3D videos.

RPG MAKER http://members.chello.at/theodor.lauppert/games/rm2k.htm
Alicehttp://www.alice.org/

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
i wouldn't mind being a character designer or art director of some sort, but as far as actual programming/game design goes? lolno

Death

Your #1 Bruh
I've been wanting to be a game producer since 8th grade. I have always wanted to make a video game that entertained everybody old and young. A mixture of all entertaining game types. Something people can buy and not bitch about it and never get bored. Somehing you can't buy used because nobody wants to sell it.

Lancelot

It's the only NEET thing to do.
Awards
i wouldn't mind being a character designer or art director of some sort, but as far as actual programming/game design goes? lolno

this :x i'm kinda really set on being a concept artist at least

Silverslide

Firstly have you tried anything like programming a game? If not i recommend to find and use RPG Maker (2000 is the best i hear) and try to make you're own game and then find some free sprite makers. Though you can try looking for a program called Alice, i have heard only good things about this game in the way of making video games and making 3D videos.

RPG MAKER RPG Maker 2000
AliceAlice.org

I'll check those out. I was apart of a website called Byond where people and groups of people could get together and play others projects, or make their own.

Wermacht said:
Shinkiro said:
this :x i'm kinda really set on being a concept artist at least
That is fine too, but I really have my own ideas in mind so I want to have more involvement. Kind of like Hideo Kojima, I idolize how much involvement and staff he has to realize his "vision" that's something I want to do.

Evello

The Radiant Hero
Awards
For a while I really wanted to get into script writing and story concept stuff for video games (since I love writing and love games), but since I have no real experience in any other part of game design, like actual programming, I decided that was a long shot and shifted over to the related field of biochemistry.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
I'll check those out. I was apart of a website called Byond where people and groups of people could get together and play others projects, or make their own.
Playing on BYOND myself right now. There are some very interesting projects, such as Mitadake High. Not many interesting games on it aside from Roleplay, and those are scarce nowadays.

Silverslide

but after you finish will it help pay off the bills

not being pessimistic just sayin that if it were me the stakes would be too high

What are you trying to say? That people in the gaming industry don't get paid enough to pay bills? Because I beg to differ.

And I would rather take a risk doing what I enjoy, than playing it safe.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
well it depends on how well your games do, really

if your PR can't make your game sell obviously you're fucked

impart

Climb The Sky
In middle school I wanted to be a character designer, really bad. But ive changed my mind about careers since then. I decided it was too much work...
@ Silverslide- aside from the point
people are going to discourage you no matter what you decide to do, there are really terrible downsides to every career.
If you want to do it, make sure you find out for yourself, get allot of opinions on the downsides AND the upsides
allot of people like to spout negative information that isn't necessarily true....

RiderKick

I'm actually doing an interactive games design course right now. It's not amazing. It's mainly a Business course but with the occasional assignment involving making a character/poster/etc. Imo the course is too relaxed. All the stuff we do could be fit into one year but instead we do it over two.

Box_ghost

I'm working on the plot fr 4 different games curently.
As well as character, level, system design.
Not to mentio music.
I'm no programmer though.

O

Oberon

A possible route I wanted to take in gaming is illustration/design. I'd love to help with art direction and I feel like I might be good at it.

Plus Raven Software is in my city, so if I ever got employed there I'd be able to see how I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back