• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

An Outline of the Basic Priniciples of Islam (Islam Q&A Thread)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pirates

As you can imagine, I didnt read the OP... or later posts...

I just want to know how a religion like islam can have a black and white list like this.

i know Catholics have the catechism. If you dont agree with it, you are not actually a catholic.
The problem with other religions is that there is a lot of room to move. If you just believe your book, you can read it in many ways, ignoring some parts etc.

How do you get a cut-and-dry list?

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
What...the hell are you talking about?

Are you talking about sects or saying Islam is an inflexible religion or not?

And for goodness' sake, if you don't even take the time to read through the thread, what does that even say? Are you really interested in learning or just gaining some tidbit for your own gratification or misuse? Seriously.

Nelo Angelo

Enigma of Extreme
Awards
Thanks a lot Nelo for dedicating your time for this thread. I am a Muslim myself.
Thanks man. Nice to see another brother here too alhamdulillah ;) Gotta thank the other guys here too for their dedication (esp The Batman, nice vid bruv)

As you can imagine, I didnt read the OP... or later posts...

I just want to know how a religion like islam can have a black and white list like this.

i know Catholics have the catechism. If you dont agree with it, you are not actually a catholic.
The problem with other religions is that there is a lot of room to move. If you just believe your book, you can read it in many ways, ignoring some parts etc.

How do you get a cut-and-dry list?
I highly suggest you do. It will teach you a lot of things maybe you were not aware of, or had misconceptions of. This is the whole point of this thread to clear those misconceptions and answer queries or thoughts you have. I'm jst trying to understand your question here though.. Black and white list? You'll have to elaborate on this more.

Pirates

I highly suggest you do. It will teach you a lot of things maybe you were not aware of, or had misconceptions of. This is the whole point of this thread to clear those misconceptions and answer queries or thoughts you have. I'm jst trying to understand your question here though.. Black and white list? You'll have to elaborate on this more.

For example, you can go up to a christian and be like "so, I hear you disapprove of homosexuals. Its in your bible" and they might say "nah. I dont actually believe that part. Im still christian though" and others are like "Yeah. God hates fags. Im christian, so of course."

I know the Catholic church actually has a list of its beliefs. If you are not in line with these, you are not Catholic. I read it. They say that homosexuals should never marry or have children. If you dont agree with this, you arent actually Catholic.

But, if a religion like Islam doesnt have this, how do you know what a muslim actually believes?
A muslim could believe almost anything extra while still be considered a muslim. Is it cut and dry like the Catholic church?
A muslim could believe their wife is their property. Others might think she is equal. Which is muslim?
Im sure there are scriptural references for both sides.

Other than a book open to speculation, is there an accepted list of required beliefs and views?

Nelo Angelo

Enigma of Extreme
Awards
For example, you can go up to a christian and be like "so, I hear you disapprove of homosexuals. Its in your bible" and they might say "nah. I dont actually believe that part. Im still christian though" and others are like "Yeah. God hates fags. Im christian, so of course."

I know the Catholic church actually has a list of its beliefs. If you are not in line with these, you are not Catholic. I read it. They say that homosexuals should never marry or have children. If you dont agree with this, you arent actually Catholic.

But, if a religion like Islam doesnt have this, how do you know what a muslim actually believes?
A muslim could believe almost anything extra while still be considered a muslim. Is it cut and dry like the Catholic church?
A muslim could believe their wife is their property. Others might think she is equal. Which is muslim?
Im sure there are scriptural references for both sides.

Other than a book open to speculation, is there an accepted list of required beliefs and views?
Oh okay, I think I understand your question.

(Bismillahirahmaniraheem)

There is a 'cut and dry list' if thats what you want to call it, that a person must have faith in to be a Muslim. I already mentioned them in the opening post. They are known as the six articles of faith that make up the first pillar of Islam, which is Imaan (Faith). This list is mentioned in the Qur'an in chapter 4: Verse 136 and many times in the Hadiith. Again, the first post elaborated this in greater detail. No Muslim is a Muslim, in the true definition of the word, if he doesn't believe in them. If a person has a defect in this belief then their Islam will be defective. It is crucial to understand them and have faith in them. They are very clear to understand from Qur'an and Sunnah.

I will re-ieterate the articles since you didn't read the opening post, they are Tawheed, the three aspects are, to believe in One God and his Unity, thatat He Alone is worthy of worship and has no partners, all worship is to Him Alone, and to believe in His Names and Attributes given by Him in the Qur'an to better understand who He is.
The second is to believe in His Angels, the third is to believe in His Messengers, the fourth is to believe in His Divine Revelations, the fifth is to believe in the Last Day, and the sixth is to believe in the Divine Decree. Read the first post for a breif explanation to them, and for a deatiled explanation there are books out there about them.

But of course there are more beliefs other than the articles a Muslim is taught from the Qur’an and Sunnah, and is logically explained and understood from the culmination of both Qur'an and Sunnah. Islam is not an illogical religion. The two sources of great importance and any differing opinion between Muslims is easily resolved by just reading the sources. Those sources are Qur'an and Sahih Hadiith that act as a supplement to the Qur'an. They elaborate further on certain issues, topics or verse from the Qur'an that The Prophet (pbuh) spoke about to the companions. They were recorded and memorised by those companions and taught all over. In this time we have 6 authentic collections of Hadiith (Sahih Bukhari, Sahih Muslim, Sunan Abu Dawud, Sunan at-Tirmidhi, Sunan an-Nisai, and Sunan ibn Majah)

Those who have differing opinions on matters, such as what you gave examples for, it doesn’t mean they are not Muslim, it just means that one person has not fully understood the stance on a certain matter or have been misinformed or just not aware of it. In other religions its so easy to say that person is not a christian when they are found to have done something evil when previously they were respected highly and awe inspiring. But in islam, to label a person who may have a differing opinion to the teaching of Ilsma, straight away as a disbeliever isnt the right approach. Because the faith is clear cut on matters and its just people are different in understanding or have not dwelled into the topic more than others. What they need is guidance and understanding of the topic.

However, if the difference of opinion was regarding the six articles of faith, that I mentioned in the first post, then there is a question of whether they would be classed as a Muslim in the full definition of the word or not. As to be a Muslim, one has firm faith in the articles. But if someone doesn't have th full understanding of something, all they need to do is look into it further. We are human and of course we don’t always understand everything, but just sitting there and not looking for the answer is foolish. But even after all that, if they have an issue with accepting those six articles, then they can be classed as a non-believer, as not a Muslim.

As I already explained before, a Muslim means one who submits themselves to the Will of Almighty God. Their heart and mind have accepted that there is none worthy of worship except the One who Created them and try their utmost to be obedient to His commands. The way they do this is following his last and final testament, the Qur’an, and following the way of life prescribed to them as they know the Creator knows better than them what is the best way of life, the best path to follow, what is Truth and what is Falsehood, and it is that which they try to follow. That is a Muslim.

If there are differences of opinion on the articles of faith, as in one person believes them and another doesn't and yet they both claim to be Muslim, then it is a big must to find the answer as the difference of that particular topic might mean the difference between a believer and non believer. For example the oneness of God, the qualities of God, the role and qualities of the Messenger, the facts about the Qur’an, the belief about the messengers and angels, the understanding of Pre-destination. A diffrence here is when one can say one is a believer and the is a disbeliever, as both cannot be. But you really will not ever find this a situation. If it is then as I said the best source are the Qur’an and Sunnah for the two look into and they will get a clear resolution to it.

I do admit there are differences of opinions amongst many Muslims on certain topics, even Muslim scholars. But this is why we have been given intelligence to deduce the truths from the authentic sources and not from other unauthentic sources. But as I made clear, those six articles of faith, the belief and view of them are very clear cut.

All I can advise you is if you yourself read the Qur’an, you will see there is no confusion as what there is to what a Muslim is to believe or do and not to believe and not to do. The laws and practices are very clear with no room for confusion. A Muslim might have their own opinions on certain matters, like you mentioned, but if they themselves read the Qur’an or Hadiith, then they would get the answer. The Qur’an is the book of guidance, distinguishing truth from falsehood from the very one who created man, so it will provide the answers.

Forgive me for any mistakes, and if I wasn't clear enough or able to answer your question. It was a bit difficult to understand at first.

Last edited:

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Does anyone have any recommended readings on what constitutes as bid'ah (innovation?) within Islam?

Reason being is I was raised in Sufi household and I get a lot of heat from our Salafi brothers and sisters over it.

Awards
This question maybe doesn't pertain directly to Islam, but it seems like the place to ask -- what (if any) effects does fasting during Ramadan have on your body? Does your body adapt to it over time? Do you find yourself gaining or losing weight by the end of the month, and what does it do to your metabolism?

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I don't really keep track as it's never been a health concern but I do gain a sort of physical appreciation for food which inadvertently causes true empathy for the impoverished and motivates me more so to alleviate these sort of conditions. The luxury of being to eat and drink whenever I want really feels physically amiss more than anything.

Nelo Angelo

Enigma of Extreme
Awards
Does anyone have any recommended readings on what constitutes as bid'ah (innovation?) within Islam?

Reason being is I was raised in Sufi household and I get a lot of heat from our Salafi brothers and sisters over it.

Hm. Thats something I haven't, as of yet, looked for, as in books that talk about what is bid'ah in the deen and what is not. (Don't know if there is a book with a list, highly doubt it). But my advice is to download the Ahadiith compilations and sift through them for info on anything that you been told is bid'ah or you have doubts with. Use the search function in the books to find information on certain topics. Its the way I do it at the moment. And it has helped a lot.

Sadly there are a lot of extra forms of worship that some Muslims have introduced that has no basis in Qur'an and Sunnah, and even if it may to them seem its a way of getting closer to their deen or to Allah, adding something new means you are disagreeing with the verse of the Qur'an where Allah says He has completed the Way of Life for you (Ch5:3). And also saying Muhammad (pbuh) didn't know all the ways or didn't inform everyone of the ways we should be worshipping and getting close to our deen. Plus of course it splits the Ummah and divides them, which again is against another verse of the Qur'an in which Allah commands us to hold strong to the rope of Allah and be not divided amongst ourselves. To keep a unity within the Ummah. (Ch3:v103)
So yeah that would jst be my advice for the moment unless you have found a good book already (let me know if you have cz I'd like to check it out too) and if I do find something I'll let you know.

This question maybe doesn't pertain directly to Islam, but it seems like the place to ask -- what (if any) effects does fasting during Ramadan have on your body? Does your body adapt to it over time? Do you find yourself gaining or losing weight by the end of the month, and what does it do to your metabolism?

Good question bro. Of course an individual will have a different opinion as to there own bodys affect cz it will depend on what they eat when opening and closing fasts. For me personally, I get a huge belly when I open fast lol, but its all pretty much gone by morning. My metabolism is pretty good. But I pretty much end the month lookin the same as I started it, but what the main change is not supposed to be the physical change as you are aware, its the mental and spiritual change. But medically, fasting has numerous benefits. I will just a post a video link, just 7 minutes long where Dr Zakir Naik (you might have come across him before) answers pretty much all your queries.

[video=youtube;62NA9Psw7JA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62NA9Psw7JA[/video]

Last edited:

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Isn't a basic Islam principle executing women who get raped?

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
[video=youtube;35TbGjt-weA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35TbGjt-weA&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

I couldn't hear the video but I still loled. But anyway, isn't another basic Islam principle throwing stones at local women who hang with non-local men?

Nelo Angelo

Enigma of Extreme
Awards
Executing a woman who gets raped? Where the heck have you understood that from? ;O Of course that’s not the case. And stoning of local woman who hang out with non local men? I'm assuming you mean mulsim women with non muslim men? Brother you have to provide references to your claim. Those are absurd claims.

In the case of rape all the woman has to do is bring the case forward to whoever is in authority and the person(s) accused has to give the evidence to prove their innocence. In the case of adultery or fornication outside of marriage, those who accuse the adulterers or fornicators must bring four witnesses to their claim. If they cannot they are punished for lying and slander. Islam protects the woman to a degree far above any other religion.

“And those who accuse chaste women, and produce not four witnesses, flog them with eighty stripes, and reject their testimony forever, they indeed are the Fasiqun (liars, rebellious, disobedient to Allah).
Except those who repent thereafter and do righteous deeds, (for such) verily, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
And for those who accuse their wives, but have no witnesses except themselves, let the testimony of one of them be four testimonies (i.e. testifies four times) by Allah that he is one of those who speak the truth.
And the fifth (testimony) (should be) the invoking of the Curse of Allah on him if he be of those who tell a lie (against her).
But it shall avert the punishment (of stoning to death) from her, if she bears witness four times by Allah, that he (her husband) is telling a lie.
And the fifth (testimony) should be that the Wrath of Allah be upon her if he (her husband) speaks the truth.
And had it not been for the Grace of Allah and His Mercy on you (He would have hastened the punishment upon you)! And that Allah is the One Who accepts repentance, the All-Wise.”
” [Ch24:v4 - 10]

In the case of rape, the woman has no need to bring about any witnesses; she has gone through a terrible ordeal! She is protected and no harm comes to her. I have no idea where you have thought that they would get killed. Maybe you’re getting confused with if they were committing adultery, in which case BOTH get the punishment and not just the woman.

“The woman and the man guilty of illegal sexual intercourse, flog each of them with a hundred stripes. Let not pity withhold you in their case, in a punishment prescribed by Allah, if you believe in Allah and the Last Day. And let a party of the believers witness their punishment.” [Ch24:v2]
(This punishment is for unmarried persons guilty of the above crime but if married persons commit it, the punishment is to stone them to death, according to Allah's Law).

The raped woman is not guilty of any sin. There is no verse of the Qur’an or Sunnah that punishes the raped woman. If they have been proven to have commited adultery then yes they are punished, and so is the man!

As far as your second question, again no they are not stoned for hanging around with non muslim men. If they commit heinous activities against the command of Allah, then theres consequences for it.
I’m not sure where you have derived your understanding of this from. If you refer me to it then maybe I can clarify the misconceptions, inshaAllah.

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
I think that most people get used to it within the first few days. I've lost a lot of wait too, but that may be because I still like to play sports and whatnot even while fasing. You stomach may shrink though, and although you may be hungry at the end of the day you probably won't be able to eat as much as you used too. But like Nelo said it's not the physical effects, but the spiritual that are important..

I couldn't hear the video but I still loled. But anyway, isn't another basic Islam principle throwing stones at local women who hang with non-local men?
that sounds straight out of American Dad.

Btw, Will be spending the last weekend of Ramadan in the confines of the holy mosque.
Should be pretty great, all my friends and family are going to savor these last three days.

Nelo Angelo

Enigma of Extreme
Awards
You performing I'tikaf bro? MashaAllah :) Hope it goes well.

(For those who may want to know what I'tikaf is, here's a link to the chapter of the website I posted earlier about Ramadan I'tikaf)

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
Ramadan is over, hope you guys savored it.

But now I can eat during the day.

Nelo Angelo

Enigma of Extreme
Awards
Interesting read that, clarifies it quite well. Statistically, there are more woman in the world than men, (according to the cia.gov website) and there always has been more woman in the world than man, due to many reasons (a major factor imo, is the countless number of wars). So there would always be the chance and is the case really, that there are more woman in both heaven and hell. Just sayin lol. But of course there are other factors too as the link the Brother posted above talks about.

SpikyMooDy

Interesting read that, clarifies it quite well. Statistically, there are more woman in the world than men, (according to the cia.gov website) and there always has been more woman in the world than man, due to many reasons (a major factor imo, is the countless number of wars). So there would always be the chance and is the case really, that there are more woman in both heaven and hell. Just sayin lol. But of course there are other factors too as the link the Brother posted above talks about.

One of the judgement's day signs is that the number of men will decrease, whilst the number of women will increase, until for every man there are 50 women.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back